Knew they'd nerf.

+
This is false.

This is a video I made to illustrate how useless firestream became compared to standard igni. If you notice in my build and equipment, I spec'd out for a pure sign build with a strong emphasis on igni. I can use all signs equally broken. I just take issue with how firestream, the alternate mode of igni, is useless compared to the standard use of the sign therefore coming to the conclusion that it'd be a waste of points to invest into firestream.

Also, the hogwash on signs being the only OP thing is just that - hogwash.

Another video of a half assed build I made to show melee is just as broken. I since came up with a better build that utilizes the skill that gives a 50% bonus to mutagens on a pure combat build. So take in mind as you watch me whirltrolling the guards that I can make whirl that much more obscene

My issue is that people like to point out how signs are OP but in the same breath ignore that combat is just as god damn broken. If signs need to adjusted for "balance" than so do combat skills. If one argues that I shouldn't be able to burn guards with ease using igni than I also shouldn't be able to press a button and then hold that same button to stunlock while also breaking a guard's block allowing me to kill them effortlessly. I mean damn, a guard can't even come up behind me while I'm using whirl because whirl will hit the guard trying to sneak up behind me. One word: broken.

But...it's a single player game. Who gives a damn? This isn't the Souls series where I can invade your world and troll you with overpowered builds to halt your progress and steal your crowns.
As you can see in the video, normal igni sign is still as op as old firestream.
It will stunlock any target thanks to burning, and burning damage are based of target's health, so it can tick for 5K. Still as broken as before.
It's just really bad vs low level mobs, because they don't have that many hit points (but it will anyway perma stun lock them, so they will die) Even if low level mobs are not really a problem with Aard. (you can one shot them when they are on the ground).

Also, you don't need that much sign intensity, because it doesnt boost the burning damage, it just helps to proc burning on high level targets. And you don't need to take any skill from the sign tree, none of them boost igni. You can spend your points where you want.

They are just some mobs immune to burning (wraith) and igni will only does the damage it shows in your character spreadsheet (increased by sign intensity).

I'm exactly doing the same than before. Only using Igni (not even Yrden or Quen) and Aard vs big pack of trash mobs.

Melee is op also, but it's different, so who cares? You can faceroll the game in death march either with whirl/heavy attack combo build or normal igni.
They should still balance those skills imho, because the game is really easy thanks to this. Only way to make the game hard is to fight without any sign and not using any skills.

Last edited:
I will have to agree with the OP here. Cdprojekts brags it make an RPG game but they remove elements of RPG. Mind boggling right? When I make my witcher I do Jack of all trades and master of none skill set style. I try to find the overall best balance on multiple forms. But if witcher 3 is to be a roll playing game then each master skill technique needs merits. Each person should be free to develop there own witcher and maximize there own skill mastery. If group A doesn't like what group B is doing great.. But you don't get to tell us how we should play this game. If you don't like it don't use it. That is the cool thing about RPG which is each for there own.

Shame on you Cdprojekts for taking fun out of RPG. Let players enjoy witcher how they see fit.. Don't nanny them ok.

No, you don't get it. If what you say is true then why even bother with 3 different skill trees. The stated purpose was so that you can try multiple ways to beat the game. Try the alchemy bomb throwing build, the mage build, the sword build, the alchemy/sword hybrid build, etc. The idea is to have replayability through the different build. If you always have to have the sword build and the other are just supplementary. Then every build is going to end up pretty much the same sword build and there is no replayability.

This is an RPG GAME, not a Witcher simulator.

Yes it is a roll play simulator go watch videos of what the founder and creator of the games says about the games. He wants it to be like the books accept in game form. That is pretty much the reason why they nurfed the looting of cows and goats and stuff because Geralt is ALWAYS poor. Yet you're saying this is just a game and should not and was not made to reflect the books that it only borrowed characters from them. Then explain what they are doing??? You're wrong.

Yes it is a roll play simulator go watch videos of what the founder and creator of the games says about the games. He wants it to be like the books accept in game form. That is pretty much the reason why they nurfed the looting of cows and goats and stuff because Geralt is ALWAYS poor. Yet you're saying this is just a game and should not and was not made to reflect the books that it only borrowed characters from them. Then explain what they are doing??? You're wrong.

Then why a chest. Geralt never had storage chests all over the map. Geralt never carried around multiple armor sets. Why did they give in on storage and then do the opposite on play styles?

But with all the crap in the game you need to buy..like patterns and all that...how do you propose he gets the money for it all? You have to have cash, in my opinion at least. I know that we all play diffrently, but we all should have the ability to play how we like to play.

Then why a chest. Geralt never had storage chests all over the map. Geralt never carried around multiple armor sets. Why did they give in on storage and then do the opposite on play styles?

Try to play the game not looting anything, living only from the money your contracts give you. Then you will be poor and you won't be able to get a second witcher gear. But gameplay wise would be bad to let Geralt only get money from contracts, because then he would be as poor as in the books and not all people would enjoy that experience.

The Geralt from the books cannot sell everything he loots to merchants, blacksmiths or armourers. I don't think he does it(loot) to begin with. If following the book at 100% would be the case you won't be able to decide something at all because the game would do what the book says. The point of reflecting the books in the game is to make it similar in content and execution. All what the game shows is in the realm of possibility from the universe of the witcher(thus the author of the books also has a word on this)... but not sure what that has to do with Igni being OP and fixed. Are you trying to say to leave it OP just because chests were added? Remember chest were added because players asked for them and also the previous witcher games already used the mechanic.

But with all the crap in the game you need to buy..like patterns and all that...how do you propose he gets the money for it all? You have to have cash, in my opinion at least. I know that we all play diffrently, but we all should have the ability to play how we like to play.
You are right on that, but that's why you can make Geralt get more money than in the books. Because I'd also say than you are looking for mostly the same bombs and oils recipes than you got in the previous games. It is part of the gameplay and if we would play the role of the Geralt of the books we wouldn't need to buy these and we would be broke to but anything else :\.

Last edited:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I remember there being tons of threads with people complaining about being OP, and how CDPR allowed the game to be gimped by OP builds and how the difficulty was a joke...and now we see the flipside. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it's not the way they meant for the game to be played, then I understand. It's why they've patched the money exploits. But, still...no matter what they do, people will be pissed.

Something was effective, so basement dwelling masochists cried. I thought I left the incessant nerf threads behind on the D3 forums. And this game is even more of a single player experience...jesus.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I remember there being tons of threads with people complaining about being OP, and how CDPR allowed the game to be gimped by OP builds and how the difficulty was a joke...and now we see the flipside. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it's not the way they meant for the game to be played, then I understand. It's why they've patched the money exploits. But, still...no matter what they do, people will be pissed.

Instead of nerfing for everyone, include it in a different mode, like they did in the second vers..It's all about choice, as one of the secrets to an excellent game is many choices that the player has, just look at Divine Divinity 1 & 3.

Don't quote me yet, still editing!

As I said in an earlier post, the hardcore gaming crowd are more like extreme sports adrenaline seekers than the majority of gamers who aren't necessarily into the game for testing the limits of their gaming prowess. and therefore couldn't support a game studio this size, it's all due to the numbers.

Last edited:
How can you guys complain about not being able to kill enemies 20lvls above with a single button? lol

Last edited:
Sigh...

Can't believe this thread is still alive...

FireStream always sucked, its godawful -- This was before to nerf. I can't imagine how *anyone* actually enjoyed using the spell.

Guys, take the much deserved nerf to a shitty spell to begin with, then stfu + l2p.

Maybe firestream needed to be toned down, but this is singleplayer if its overpowered and you don't like that, then you just don't choose it. There's a ton of skills to pick from.
Also to the book fans,lore enthusiasts and sword masters, this is a game, the enemies are levelled.In the books geralt wears his only set of armour and 2 swords because its all he needs. We are forced to use better and better equipments when we level up.

As I said in an earlier post, the hardcore gaming crowd are more like extreme sports adrenaline seekers than the majority of gamers who aren't necessarily into the game for testing the limits of their gaming prowess. and therefore couldn't support a game studio this size, it's all due to the numbers.

Thing is people that complain about a single skill being nerfed and the people complaining about a game being too easy on it's highest difficulty are in the same crowd... just on different sides of the fence.
If CDPR only nerfed Firestream on DM (which is this game's "hardcore" mode), we'd still have this thread (doesn't matter if the change was announced or not either)

I do believe the OP is ticked off because it wasnt in the patch notes and developers that hide these kind of nerfs and others like upping the requirement for cat armorer and leaving you naked when you log in after acquiring cat armor. Its a pretty shady tactic and leaves people clueless as to why they can no longer use something, or why something no longer works the way it should...if developers nerf something or change any part of a game after launch put it in the patch notes, dont try to hide it from the masses and let them figure out on their own...it will only leave bad tastes in peoples mouths and leave people wondering what they will try to hide and be "shady" about next. Its bad business ethics!

---------- Updated at 02:17 PM ----------

(doesn't matter if the change was announced or not either)

Wrong! it does matter...in every way, to be upfront with your paying customer...if they go out and try to do business with someone and that business tries to hide what their doing from them then I bet your behind they're hollering at the manager talking about bad business tactics...same principle, different situation. Nobody likes to be deceived.

Exactly, no matter what CDPR does, theres always people ready to complain. The nerf of Igni was wanted months back, they get it and now theyre upset lol

Wrong! it does matter...in every way, to be upfront with your paying customer...if they go out and try to do business with someone and that business tries to hide what their doing from them then I bet your behind they're hollering at the manager talking about bad business tactics...same principle, different situation. Nobody likes to be deceived.

My point was merely that we'd have this thread either way... maybe with a different OP, but I'm almost certain someone would have complained and most likely even before the patch dropped.
Also Patch notes are a non-mandatory, non-normative and non-standardised document...

Nobody seems to be recalling how much Quen was nerfed in TW2?
What amazes me is that even using firestream once it was obvious that it was broken and needed to be toned down. Same with quen in w2.
I didn't pay attention to how strong Firestream used to be because I didn't use it too much and I got it a bit "late", until I used it against some bosses and I saw how it melted their health bars so fast with the first firestream attack, they couldn't go away or defend (the boss from the "Drowner contract" in Skellige and the both Leshen ones). Then I realized it was the ideal weapon against high level monsters guarding treasures(except Elemental monsters ofc).

What amazes me is the people saying "if you don't like it, just don't use it" in their defense for the old ability, when this train of thought(because I can't call it logic) can be applied against them in the same way: if you don't like the new ability, then don't use it.

Did they buff the aard damage ability to scale with level and intensity yet? I am Ok with a weaker firestream, but other ways to deal damage as mage should be improved if they take this away (basic igni was totally useless). Playing with one ability only was crap anyway.

Top Bottom