One update to position them all — positioning update now available!

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
One update to position them all — positioning update now available!

Hey there!

It’s been a busy time for GWENT, with our visit to PAX East and the announcement of GWENT Challenger — an official The Witcher Card Game tournament. And it actually gets busier from here on out. We’ve just released a new update for the game and we’re here to tell you more about the features it introduces, how they lay the foundations for what we have in store for you in the future, and what that’s going to be.

WHAT’S NEW IN GWENT

One of the major features of the latest update is Unit Positioning. You can now choose where you want to place cards on the row — this change factors heavily into how abilities interact with units on the board.

Up to this point, there haven’t been many ways to let your opponent know what you’re thinking. This changes with Taunts, short phrases that allow players to communicate by clicking on their avatar.

The board now features a Move History. It lets you review which cards have been played over the course of the match, which can come in handy when you’re looking to outplay your opponent. Like they say, knowledge is power.

Speaking of the board, we’ve given it a general facelift to make it more legible and accessible, letting you see more even when you’re in the heat of battle.

The latest update also introduces changes to cards and tweaks improving the balance and overall experience. There’s actually a lot of those. You can check them all out in the full changelog.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR GWENT

The updated board and visual tweaks introduced in the Positioning Update are a first step of a visual overhaul coming to GWENT. This isn’t going to happen overnight, but rather over the course of the next several major updates. To give you a sense of what to expect, we’re talking new targeting indicators and card highlights, card movement animations and shadows, and unique effects for abilities.

We’ve got more premium animated versions of cards in the works, with the plan being for every card in the game to have its own animated variant. We’ll definitely be hiding some easter eggs in there, so make sure to be on the lookout for these once they’re in the game.

We are also committed to adding more cards to GWENT in general in the not-too-distant future. And with all these new cards set to arrive, as well as other upcoming changes, starter decks will be getting a refresh, too.

Card abilities and descriptions will be getting a revamp as well, so that they’re more intuitive. A big part of this will be standardizing how certain cards work and behave after being played, resulting in simpler and more reliable ability priorities.

Using this chance, we’d like to thank you for the amazing support you’re giving GWENT. You comments and suggestions are a tremendous help in shaping the game and making it a better experience.

The GWENT Team

Last edited:
Burza46;n8179830 said:
To give you a sense of what to expect, we’re talking new targeting indicators and card highlights, card movement animations and shadows, and unique effects for abilities.

We’ve got more premium animated versions of cards in the works, with the plan being for every card in the game to have its own animated variant. We’ll definitely be hiding some easter eggs in there, so make sure to be on the lookout for these once they’re in the game.

We are also committed to adding more cards to GWENT in general in the not-too-distant future. And with all these new cards set to arrive, as well as other upcoming changes, starter decks will be getting a refresh, too.
I'm intrigued.

I believe I already found a bug: If you unlock a previously locked unit, that had weather immunity, it doesn't get this immunity effect back. Also the "mute opponent" button seems to be missing below the emote-circle if you're playing on Keyboard and mouse...

Pawel1995;n8193460 said:
I believe I already found a bug: If you unlock a previously locked unit, that had weather immunity, it doesn't get this immunity effect back. Also the "mute opponent" button seems to be missing below the emote-circle if you're playing on Keyboard and mouse...
From the changelog:

"All abilities that lock units can also be used to unlock units. Note that unlocking does not

bring back Tokens the unit had before being locked

Packs ratio seems broken. Opened 16 packs after the new patch, only 1 epic (from the normal 4 cards). ALL rares in the choose 3. Seems really wrong to me.

DMaster2;n8193720 said:
Packs ratio seems broken. Opened 16 packs after the new patch, only 1 epic (from the normal 4 cards). ALL rares in the choose 3. Seems really wrong to me.

Opened 16 as well, had 1 keg with Eredin Premium, Ciri Dash, another 2 rare and one common. 1 legendary, 2 epic, and about 20-25 rares in total. Think everythings fine. Had bad luck with bunch of kegs crushed sometimes as well.

I speculate that the new patch resetted our implicit MMR used in casual matchmakings.
I disconnected a lot a while ago. I guess that really hurt my hidden MMR in casual matchmaking, as most of my opponents are easy.
Now that the new patch rolled out, my opponent are much more competent.

or maybe I got steamrolled in consecutive games and now I'm drawing crazy conspiracy theories

It's unfair for monster players. After adding swallow potions last card (two times) , then pass .. My last card can't stay board for next round !!!!!!
1- Ragh Nar Roog card , (800 Scraps) ,the most beautiful cards you killed. You work completely different ( 2 strength remove 8 for card ) , Bronze card Stammel Ford's Tremor already remove 2 strength for 6 card.. Please give back your old card. (Special Weather Effect)

kaanakyuz;n8194810 said:
It's unfair for monster players. After adding swallow potions last card (two times) , then pass .. My last card can't stay board for next round !!!!!!

The new Monster passive only works with cards played from your hand, not with extra cards that are spawned or resurrected.

You totally ruined the power of the Rot Tosser/Cow Carcass card. Opponent has too many plays to counteract it now.

BTW........ every time after the game is over and I hit the "Next" tab....my game freezes and I have to restart Gwent and lose any rewards I had coming. This is getting very annoying.

Last edited:
gr8horned1;n8195440 said:
You totally ruined the power of the Rot Tosser/Cow Carcass card.

I don't think the rot tosser should be a core unit anyway or a card too strong. It's a BRONZE 6str unit with targetted Epidemic, it's already powerfull as it is. The nerf was legitimate.

I installed the patch ..

launched...it crashed

I Uninstalled / Reinstalled ...

still crashing ... mostly at launch

So far i am really enjoying the new update and mechanics. There are only two things im running into problems with.

. Matchmaking is all over the place. Im getting paired up constantly with players 5-10 ranks higher than me. I assume its because of the update and not everyone playing yet. Maybe with more time it will even out.

. Optimization for the xbox one took a hit. Its running really choppy and you can see the fps drop constantly. Before the update it ran fairly smooth. When having multiple cards on the playing field now and trying to play more its just bogging down.

Just completed 2 daily rewards tiers, and so far I'm loving this patch. Decided to build a completely new deck with Ge'els... and went on a rampage. He's a great leader now. Also, no BM with communications so far, which is great.

I have been playing for 2 hours since this new patch and have some early concerns:

1. The Dimeritium Shackles need a hot fix as now they convert a gold unit and lock it at the same time. They are really game breaking and too punishing to gold units whose effects are not instant at once (e.g., Yen: Con, Kambi, Villen and so on). Dozens of 800-scrap gold cards are now useless due to an 80-scrap bronze card. D-shackles should either convert a gold unit or lock a unit only like it used to do (except the resetting ability).
2. This new patch is far too favorable to the Northern Kingdom since they have a bunch of ways to have card advantages: Ciri, Stennis and now Phillipa. What is more, Radovid, omg, his ability of locking 3 units absolutely gives no chance to the monsters' weather deck. I am happy that Pavetta is nerfed though since she was really annoying.
3. The Monsters' Deck now are nerfed considerably, some gold cards' effects do not reflect their cost reasonable anymore: ragh nar roog (neutral), draug, imlerith.

Last edited:
Top Bottom