x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

  • Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The General Videogame Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I finally got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

    Two hours in and I'm really iffy about it. The combat seems fun (I chose rogue) and I'm eager to get deeper into it, but everything else about the game is... extremely subpar from what I've grown used to. I don't mean to bash it too much, but right now I'm not really seeing anything else about it that's appealing. It's been annoying to handle the menus, setting quests, recognizing progression in them, having interesting quests, dialogues, choices, cool terrain to explore, inventory management, and more stuff that I'll just hold back on to not come off as too disgruntled. Do the other departments of the game get better, or is it just staying for the combat (and cool outfits, from what I can tell) and suffering the rest?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by EliHarel View Post
      Do the other departments of the game get better, or is it just staying for the combat (and cool outfits, from what I can tell) and suffering the rest?
      Little of column A, little of column B. It takes a long time to see a slight rise in quality, but playing the game is also like beating your head against a brick wall. Eventually you develop a weird kind of Stockholm syndrome with the wall and it becomes weirdly charming for reasons that don't make a whole lot of sense, hence the game having its die-hard fans.

      Outside of potentially brain damage-related love goggles, however, the game is pretty universally subpar compared to most games.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by EliHarel View Post
        staying for the combat (and cool outfits, from what I can tell) and suffering the rest?
        Pretty much, haha. I just got it on its GOG release and love it. Those armor outfits are as good as Saints Row 2 used and the combat/character progression is just awesome I heard the game was similar to Monster Hunter, basically my favorite game ever, which turns out to be an accurate comparison. But outside of fighting, there is not much to do. The "Open World" genre tag on GOG is just weird, and calling it a living world in its description is silly. Anything involving that menu is absolute garbage. Even the map is hardly fit for Loredo's latrine.

        The expansion area, Bitterblack, is more of a traditional dungeon crawler. Unfortunately, I am still low level so my adventure was cut short when I met a nasty cockatrice and the group was turned to stone. Fighting two chimera in an arena was awesome though. I did come across a dragon or wyrm in the main game and that ended about as well as the cockatrice.

        Comment


        • Has anyone gotten the Rise of the Necromancer pack for Diablo III on PS4?

          Comment


          • Don't get Dead Cells. It's very ... addicting.

            Comment




            • Send help.

              Comment


              • My general thoughts: We need a witcher MMO based 100+ yr before geralt of rivia when the witcher where in there prime

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hoggweed View Post
                  My general thoughts: We need a witcher MMO based 100+ yr before geralt of rivia when the witcher where in there prime
                  No. We don't.

                  Comment


                  • I wonder when CDPR announce their other AAA RPG as they stated they want to release another RPG besides cyberpunk in the next 6 years

                    Comment


                    • Currently playing Bard's Tale. Quite entertaining little game Had a bit of problems to get it working properly (it was running in "slow motion"), but it's working now.

                      I wasn't compatible with the bow at first, but now that I have gotten used to it, I actually like it quite a lot.


                      EDIT: Is it worth buying those expensive map pieces from vendors?
                      Last edited by Sunsibar; 26-07-17, 17:04.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sunsibar View Post
                        Currently playing Bard's Tale. Quite entertaining little game Had a bit of problems to get it working properly (it was running in "slow motion"), but it's working now.

                        I wasn't compatible with the bow at first, but now that I have gotten used to it, I actually like it quite a lot.


                        EDIT: Is it worth buying those expensive map pieces from vendors?
                        Do you mean the satirical one? Fun game I think I bought those maps - they can lead to some useful stuff.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post

                          Do you mean the satirical one?

                          Comment




                          • Comment


                            • Wrapped up things in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice last night, and, yeah... I'd say the 'Indie AAA' experiment has been successful.

                              The PC version - although running more or less flawlessly and without any noticeable hiccups on downsampled WQHD/everything cranked to 'Very High' - feels a bit half-assed and if done by someone who hasn't got much of a clue how to implement graphics options properly. No adjustable FOV, no individually toggable post-processing effects like motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc, no individually scalable anti-aliasing, texture filtering, etc, the list goes on.
                              Editing the shit out of various .INIs is currently the only way to have the game produce something that's at least not as blurry and washed-out as with the limited in-game settings and presets.

                              Controls surprisingly decent with keyboard & mouse as well, although it'd have been nice if ALL the keys (including all of the numpad, for instance) were unlocked for rebinding and there was an option to turn off mouse smoothing without having to go through input.ini.

                              All in all, I'd say it's still worth the controversial €30/$33/... it's currently selling for, even if at first it might feel like 8-10 hours of puzzle-solving, sword fighting and quite a bit of walking about is somewhat too short for such a price tag.
                              I think it's not much going out on a limb for guaranteeing the narrative and the overall experience to make up for that. The way the in-game cutscenes are presented and how they've been achieved with cutting-edge motion and facial capturing technology and with such fidelity is nothing short but impressive. Also thanks to the outstanding performance by Melina Juergens (who turns out is not even a professional actress) as Senua that's definitely worth the praise it's been and still is getting.
                              Also I'd imagine that anyone who's just a sucker for the celtic/pictish, pre-christianity iron age setting might get quite a kick out of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as well. Ninja Theory did a hell of a job with their relatively authentic and unique take on it, extrapolating and depicting what a PTSD-ridden warrioress' struggle with severe mental illness could have looked and played out like back then.

                              Last but not least it's worth to point out again that Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is Ninja Theory's first self-published title without a major publisher breathing down their neck, and that alone is already applaudable and worth supporting. As is having the guts to not have it shackled with DRM and release it day 1 on gog.com. These guys got it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by schinderhannes.999 View Post
                                Wrapped up things in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice last night, and, yeah... I'd say the 'Indie AAA' experiment has been successful.

                                The PC version - although running more or less flawlessly and without any noticeable hiccups on downsampled WQHD/everything cranked to 'Very High' - feels a bit half-assed and if done by someone who hasn't got much of a clue how to implement graphics options properly. No adjustable FOV, no individually toggable post-processing effects like motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc, no individually scalable anti-aliasing, texture filtering, etc, the list goes on.
                                Editing the shit out of various .INIs is currently the only way to have the game produce something that's at least not as blurry and washed-out as with the limited in-game settings and presets.

                                Controls surprisingly decent with keyboard & mouse as well, although it'd have been nice if ALL the keys (including all of the numpad, for instance) were unlocked for rebinding and there was an option to turn off mouse smoothing without having to go through input.ini.

                                All in all, I'd say it's still worth the controversial €30/$33/... it's currently selling for, even if at first it might feel like 8-10 hours of puzzle-solving, sword fighting and quite a bit of walking about is somewhat too short for such a price tag.
                                I think it's not much going out on a limb for guaranteeing the narrative and the overall experience to make up for that. The way the in-game cutscenes are presented and how they've been achieved with cutting-edge motion and facial capturing technology and with such fidelity is nothing short but impressive. Also thanks to the outstanding performance by Melina Juergens (who turns out is not even a professional actress) as Senua that's definitely worth the praise it's been and still is getting.
                                Also I'd imagine that anyone who's just a sucker for the celtic/pictish, pre-christianity iron age setting might get quite a kick out of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as well. Ninja Theory did a hell of a job with their relatively authentic and unique take on it, extrapolating and depicting what a PTSD-ridden warrioress' struggle with severe mental illness could have looked and played out like back then.

                                Last but not least it's worth to point out again that Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is Ninja Theory's first self-published title without a major publisher breathing down their neck, and that alone is already applaudable and worth supporting. As is having the guts to not have it shackled with DRM and release it day 1 on gog.com. These guys got it.
                                Cool I'm looking forward to playing it but didn't know whether it was worth $30+.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X