x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

  • Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a gaming PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
    I'd say avoid mobile Nvidia chips if you care about Linux.
    I thought Nvidia had pretty good support. At least on the desktop Nvidia drivers always work very well.

    Comment


    • On desktop it's OK, but on laptops it's a major mess, because they use their Optimus which is a completely non standard thing. Nouveau somehow supports it well with PRIME, but Nvidia blob support for it was abysmal, at least last time I checked it.

      https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

      Comment


      • AMD released Vega at last, but their first edition is a power hungry beast (requires > 850W PSU, estimated TDP - 300W), and it costs around $1000. I hope they'll make something more sensible (at the very least - half that in price / power consumption). To me, this one sounds like two GPUs combined in one.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
          On desktop it's OK, but on laptops it's a major mess, because they use their Optimus which is a completely non standard thing. Nouveau somehow supports it well with PRIME, but Nvidia blob support for it was abysmal, at least last time I checked it.

          https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
          So if we can disable switching and use only the discrete GPU it should work like on a desktop, right?

          Would a laptop with equivalent AMD CPU+discrete GPU work well with Linux?
          Last edited by volsung; 28-06-17, 10:43.

          Comment


          • If you can disable Optimus, and just use one GPU, it would be OK. But if you use just Nvidia one, it will drain the battery much faster. Also, ability to do that depends on the UEFI firmware, and that varies quite a lot between manufacturers.

            I think laptop with decent (modern) AMD APU (that's how they called those combined chips) should be better. But as usual, try to do some research before buying. If you can wait, Ryzen based laptops should arrive this year I think.
            Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 28-06-17, 02:07.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
              If you can disable Optimus, and just use one GPU, it would be OK. But if you use just Nvidia one, it will drain the battery much faster. Also, ability to do that depends on the UEFI firmware, and that varies quite a lot between manufacturers.

              I think laptop with decent (modern) AMD APU (that's how they called those combined chips) should be better. But as usual, try to do some research before buying. If you can wait, Ryzen based laptops should arrive this year I think.
              Good to know. I wanted to buy a laptop this month. Like I said it doesn't have to be a proper "gaming" laptop but I think not having a real GPU is serious limitation.

              Are AMD APU's comparable to Intel's integrated graphics?

              Comment


              • Oh by the way, separate post. I was browsing Newegg looking for modern motherboards and on the Asus Z270 line I saw this warning:

                WARNING: Products with exposed solder may contain lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. Please wash hands after handling internal components and motherboards and avoid inhalation of fumes if heating the solder. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
                What the hell? Has this always been the case and we were never warned? Is there some kind of clean computer hardware? Does this mean the heat generated by regular computer use (eg. a hot GPU) can have seriously harmful consequences?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by volsung View Post
                  What the hell? Has this always been the case and we were never warned? Is there some kind of clean computer hardware? Does this mean the heat generated by regular computer use (eg. a hot GPU) can have seriously harmful consequences?
                  I noticed it recently on quite a few components. I suppose some stricter regulation now requires them to post that. And most probably it was always that way.

                  Comment


                  • I'm now looking to upgrade my PC build, and go with new AMD Ryzen CPU (1700X). Can anyone please recommend a good motherboard for it?

                    For CPU cooling, I'll probably get Noctua NH U12S SE-AM4: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-coo...nh-u12s-se-am4


                    Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 03-07-17, 04:03.

                    Comment


                    • Increasing laptop prices seems to be a thing. A friend also bought a laptop and the next day it was way more expensive.

                      Maybe the current GPU issue is a thing. GPUs currently get more and more expensive, because people buy them for mining bitcons and other currencies. Maybe that's why some shops increase also other prices.

                      Beside that, for Linux I think AMD GPUs are the better choice, other than Linux I would never ever by a notebook with AMD GPU anymore.
                      http://blog.viking-studios.net

                      Comment


                      • About Ryzen, beware of this bug: https://community.amd.com/message/2796982

                        I hope AMD will find a way to work around this mess.

                        Comment


                        • Just finished my new Ryzen build. It's pretty good so far.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post
                            Just finished my new Ryzen build. It's pretty good so far.
                            Nice. What RAM did you get?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by M4xw0lf View Post
                              Nice. What RAM did you get?

                              Current config:

                              CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
                              Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi
                              RAM: G.SKILL Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8) / DDR4 3200.
                              GPU: same as before (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480).

                              From what I've read, Ryzen benefits a lot from faster memory, and this one was recommended as one of the best compatible models. It's pricey, but I decided it's not worth having compatibility and performance issue because of RAM.

                              Anyway, now I switched to full AMD

                              Last edited by Gilrond-i-Virdan; 17-07-17, 08:04.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Gilrond-i-Virdan View Post


                                Current config:

                                CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
                                Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi
                                RAM: G.SKILL Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8) / DDR4 3200.
                                GPU: same as before (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480).

                                From what I've read, Ryzen benefits a lot from faster memory, and this one was recommended as one of the best compatible models. It's pricey, but I decided it's not worth having compatibility and performance issue because of RAM.

                                Anyway, now I switched to full AMD

                                Good choice in RAM (and CPU, of course ^^)
                                Should I go for a Ryzen system, I'll go with a low latency DDR4-3200 kit as well.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X