Building a gaming PC

+
eskiMoe;n9339851 said:
And apparently $100 more expensive than AMD claimed before release.

Too little, too late. AMD is still playing catch up with Nvidia. Like they've done for years now.

Vega 56 is supposed to be around $400? I'd probably get it, it makes more sense than Vega 64. Little or not, it would be still better than any of their Polaris cards (it would probably allow playing TW3 at 60fps for me). And on Linux AMD now is clearly the best choice. I'm not going to touch Nvidia any time soon.

Last edited:
I'm getting Vega 56 when Sapphire will make a custom model. AMD now rips Nvidia apart with The Witcher 3 in Wine.

Last edited:
Hey, what do you think of this monitor: LG 34UC88-B?
Some say it is nice for gaming some say it is not because 5ms is to slow.

As I have a GTX1080 I can't make use of freesync.
But the ROG SWIFT PG348Q costs + 400€ and I'm not sure if it is worth it.
I play slower single player stuff but also things like TitanFall2, left4dead and other coop stuff.

EDIT: I also found this one: Samsung C34F791WQU
Seems nice, 100Hz, VA Panel (so no BLB?), IPS have better colors then VA is that correct? but this one has 125% sRGB and tests say it has brilliant color.
So this one seems quite nice but it's samsung, usually LG has better quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sapphire Nitro Vega surfaced. That's one massive beast:

I wonder if Vega 56 will have less massive model, and less than 3 (!) power connectors.

AMD finally open sourced their Vulkan Linux driver! There was radv made by Mesa developers already, so now there are 2 open Vulkan drivers for AMD for Linux.

It's been a while since then, but I remember some discussion here about uninterruptible power supplies (UPS). I suspect my new PC build with Ryzen CPU is more sensitive to power spikes than my previous setup, causing sometimes system freezes or reboots, so I decided to get a UPS to mitigate it. Can you recommend some good brand of UPS?

I found this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842301700

But I'm not sure how good it is.

volsung ?

Last edited:
I don't have a UPS (no need really since there's roughly maybe one power outage every 5 years where I live) but I do use APC surge protectors for my PC and no complaints about them.

Also regarding the topic. I was considering upgrading my 4790K to 8 core (or more) CPU this year but seeing the poor OC capabilities of Ryzen and Intel battling with security issues with their architectures I highly doubt I will. Money saved I guess..

Ryzen overclocks well as far as I know (but use X series for it), though I'm quite satisfied with stock speeds of Ryzen 7 1700X. 8 cores / 16 threads are really useful to compile something like Wine or Mesa.

People have trouble even getting past 4GHz with X series Ryzen CPUs. From what I've heard AMD has promised better OC headroom with Ryzen 2 but we'll see. If I were building a new system from scratch I'd probably go with Ryzen 2 but upgrading from my existing setup seems a bit redundant considering the cost of a new CPU/mobo/memory etc.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n10239632 said:
It's been a while since then, but I remember some discussion here about uninterruptible power supplies (UPS). I suspect my new PC build with Ryzen CPU is more sensitive to power spikes than my previous setup, causing sometimes system freezes or reboots, so I decided to get a UPS to mitigate it. Can you recommend some good brand of UPS?

I found this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842301700

But I'm not sure how good it is.

volsung ?

Hi Gilrond,

sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't been around here in weeks, maybe months.

I haven't used that particular model but I definitely recommend APC. For a gaming PC, the 1500 VA model might give you around 20-30 minutes of power just on its own, which is way more than just surge protection. I used to live in an area with serious power spikes but had zero issues with electrical backup similar to that one.

What are you guys doing regarding the whole Spectre/Meltdown thing? On Debian the intel-microcde package addresses Meltdown but Testing hasn't yet included the kernel updates for Spectre.

Last edited:
I bought that UPS, but look like I'll need to RMA it, it produces an annoying high pitched sound which I surely don't want to tolerate.

volsung;n10352142 said:
What are you guys doing regarding the whole Spectre/Meltdown thing? On Debian the intel-microcde package addresses Meltdown but Testing hasn't yet included the kernel updates for Spectre.

I switched my home computer to AMD which is in better shape, but I have a few Intel setups as well including at work. In such case I just pull the package from unstable into testing. It usually works fine. Currently though kernel is the same version in both already: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux

Ahh PC building talk. this is where I refer you to my pc friend.
I'm curious though, to the original poster PrincessCiri, is it still running and was it a good pc? It's been about 4 years since this thread was made and I would like to know how it turned out.....

Ahh PC building talk. this is where I refer you to my pc friend.
I'm curious though, to the original poster PrincessCiri, is it still running and was it a good pc? It's been about 4 years since this thread was made and I would like to know how it turned out.....

Lucky you, I'm actually back to the forums.
My PC has been excellent, it is still running fine (typing on it right now to send this message). The only thing I've had to replace was the graphics card that died a few months ago, so overall it's lasted well and I expect it to last for another 2-3 years at least assuming nothing important dies.

I'm thinking that if you're running at 1080p then the current generation of i3 paired with a GTX 1050Ti is a good budget build. AMD doesn't really have any GPU that can compete right now. The RX 460 costs the same as the 1050 Ti but is inferior to even the non-Ti 1050. And at the high end, the Vega 64 is beat by the cheaper 1080 and embarrassed by the 1080Ti.

On the CPU side, while the Ryzens are comparable to Intel in both overall performance and cost, they have enough issues (both flaws and simply inferior single-thread performance) that I'd have to say that Intel still holds a slight edge in CPUs as well.

Top Bottom