Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
So after more than six months I now have Nvidia's driver 378.78 installed and both OpenGL and Vulkan are still terrible.

For OpenGL and Vulkan I still get those black beams and white beams in DOOM (2016) on my Nvidia GTX 780ti, Nvidia GTX 960, and Nvidia GTX 1060ti.

Where as all video games that use DirectX 11 run ok without those graphical bugs and even on my Nvidia GTX 470.

The PC versions of Metro 2033, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield: Hardline, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, Need for Speed (2016), and Battlefield 1 all run on my Nvidia GTX 470 not at max graphical settings and from the Nvidia GTX 780ti, Nvidia GTX 960, and Nvidia GTX 1060ti all of those PC versions of video games run at max graphical settings at 60FPS or more.

DOOM (2016) can't keep a constant 60FPS on both OpenGL and Vulkan and orther PC versions of video games using OpenGL can't either, like the recently released gog.com versions of Turok and Panescape Torment: Enhanced Edition.

After id Software removed Denuvo from DOOM (2016) I did get a little bit of FPS increase and that's about it.

Where as the classic original version of Planescape Torment runs fine.

DirectX 11 is what is working better for me and whenever I get Windows 10 64-bit DirectX 12 will be what I will be using, but I will be sticking with Windows 7 64-bit even after 2020.

With all of the cruft OpenGL has I don't think it will ever have a improvement and Vulkan is just going to carry that same thing like OpenGL.

Balloers100;n8372240 said:
For OpenGL and Vulkan I still get those black beams and white beams in DOOM (2016) on my Nvidia GTX 780ti, Nvidia GTX 960, and Nvidia GTX 1060ti.

Ask Bethesda and Nvidia about it. Did you contact them? I'm not using Nvidia for a while already though, after switching to RX480. Radv is progressing quite well, and AMD plan to open source their own Vulkan implementation as well.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8372250 said:
Ask Bethesda and Nvidia about it. Did you contact them? I'm not using Nvidia for a while already though, after switching to RX480. Radv is progressing quite well, and AMD plan to open source their own Vulkan implementation as well.

Yes I asked Bethesda Softworks about it already.

I'm sorry, but OpenGL and Vulkan are buggy with their graphical bugs and I will never like them.

DirectX will be my go to graphics API. No converting to OpenGL or Vulkan ever.

Balloers100;n8372270 said:
I'm sorry, but OpenGL and Vulkan are buggy with their graphical bugs
They are APIs, and can't have bugs. Bugs exist in games or drivers which implement APIs. So again, contact developers with bug reports. And I recommend you ditching Windows and switching to AMD from Nvidia, if you want to have proper OpenGL support from Mesa.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8372280 said:
They are APIs, and can't have bugs. Bugs exist in games or drivers which implement APIs. So again, contact developers with bug reports. And I recommend you ditching Windows and switching to AMD from Nvidia, if you want to have proper OpenGL support from Mesa.

I've contacted. Contacting doesn't work because the graphical bugs for OpenGL the black beams and white beams I have happen on every single video game that uses OpenGL.

I'm not going to ditch Windows and I'm not going to switch back to AMD.

I'm sorry, but don't try to convert me please. It's not going to work end of discussion.

Balloers100;n8372290 said:
I've contacted. Contacting doesn't work because the graphical bugs for OpenGL the black beams and white beams I have happen on every single video game that uses OpenGL.

Then you probably have a defective hardware (monitor / GPU)? That's the most likely reason, and I doubt anyone can fix that. Replacing some of that, or both can give you better hint what is wrong.

If you want to keep broken hardware - then don't complain ;)

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n8372300 said:
Then you probably have a defective hardware (monitor / GPU)? That's the most likely reason, and I doubt anyone can fix that. Replacing some of that, or both can give you better hint what is wrong.

If you want to keep broken hardware - then don't complain ;)

I'm sorry, but it's not my hardware or monitor at all.

I'm not the only PC gamer who has experienced this with OpenGL and Vulkan, some other PC gamers also experienced it with DOOM (2016), but not all.

So yeah I'm going to champion DirectX for life.

OpenGL and Vulkan isn't doing any good for me.

Last edited:
Balloers100;n8372380 said:
I'm not the only PC gamer who has experienced this with OpenGL and Vulkan, some other PC gamers also experienced it with DOOM (2016), but not all.

Then again, it's a bug in Doom. But you said you experience such thing with all OpenGL games, so that is a hardware issue for sure.

Last edited:
If this turns out to be cleaner and *as* efficient as CUDA I'd promote it in all the labs I'm working at.

Top Bottom