Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
scottyusceaser;n10633091 said:
I'll most likely be purchasing the game on PC and PS4/5.... reason for it is, If I'm home I'll play it on PC or laptop, If I'm away I'll play it on the PS4/laptop, If I have other games (exclusives) that I'm playing at the time on the PS4 and I'm away then I'll play it on that... and the PS5 because I'll obviously upgrade the PS4 to the PS5 and I'm also pretty sure they will Remaster CP2077 on the PS5.
It's CDPR I would happy spend that much money on their products without hesitation.
You take your PS4 on the road? I normally play PS4 at home and laptop on the road (or if it's a PC only game).

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Rawls;n10633751 said:
You take your PS4 on the road? I normally play PS4 at home and laptop on the road (or if it's a PC only game).

I was also a bit surprised to hear that anybody considers their console the ideal solution for gaming on the go.

Although, I suppose it would be much easier to hook up a console in, say, a hotel room, than it would be to hook up a full desktop PC - mouse, keyboard, monitor, tower and all.

Laptops are usually fine, but the ones capable of running the latest games at 60 FPS (if that's your thing, lots are happy with 30 or less) are usually pretty pricey - definitely moreso than a PS4 or XBone.

Rawls;n10633751 said:

I'd only take my ps4 on the road if I'm playing an exclusive at that time that is exclusive to the ps4.. for example if Last of us part 2 was out I'd be playing it alot... then if I fancied playing CP2077 I'd just play it on the ps4 as I wouldn't want to drag both the ps4 and laptop around with me.

And thank you! Pleasure to be here! I was wondering if there is some form of RP on this site? ... I've never RP'd before but would be interesting to pass the time.

Snowflakez;n10633851 said:
I was also a bit surprised to hear that anybody considers their console the ideal solution for gaming on the go.

Although, I suppose it would be much easier to hook up a console in, say, a hotel room, than it would be to hook up a full desktop PC - mouse, keyboard, monitor, tower and all.

Laptops are usually fine, but the ones capable of running the latest games at 60 FPS (if that's your thing, lots are happy with 30 or less) are usually pretty pricey - definitely moreso than a PS4 or XBone.

My laptop is pretty good for games.. its an MSI GE63VR 7RE(RAIDER)., I think it's a medium range gaming laptop but runs everything I play in ultra including a heavily modded Witcher 3.

My PC is fairly ok too.. not amazing but runs just as good. :)

Snowflakez;n10577152 said:
Bad news, my fancy new PC's AIO CPU watercooler crapped out on me. Right after installing it. Crazy grinding/revving noise. Sent it back. Sticking with a fan. It'll be cheaper and more efficient, but I'll lose out on some of the fancy lights.

Ah my friend, switch to a full liquid cooling loop. Here's the pump I use - https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-universal-pumps.html?sku=7609
I've only replaced it once in about 10 years, usually after a few years it'll start making a little bit of rattling noise from the parts starting to wear down internally, but the one I just replaced was still cruising along with no issues after 5-7 years.

I liquid cool my CPU & GPUs as I just don't like the noise the fans generate and I would highly recommend. :) You'll drop a little cash initially to put the system together with pump, tubing, radiator, reservoir, clamps, and blocks, but once your base cooling loop is together, all you really have to upgrade from there is the blocks and occasionally replace a radiator fan or something small like that. Here is what I'm running now for reference, feel free to hit me up with any questions if you're ever considering a switch over to liquid.

EVGA X99 Classified
Intel Core i7 6850k - Liquid Cooled
32GB DDR4 2800 - Corsair Dominator Series
(2) NVidia GTX 1080 Ti - Liquid Cooled - 2-Way SLI (EVGA HB Bridge)
EVGA Supernova 1200P2 PSU
Windows 7 x64

Razrback16;n10660921 said:
Ah my friend, switch to a full liquid cooling loop. Here's the pump I use - https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-uni....html?sku=7609
I've only replaced it once in about 10 years, usually after a few years it'll start making a little bit of rattling noise from the parts starting to wear down internally, but the one I just replaced was still cruising along with no issues after 5-7 years.

I liquid cool my CPU & GPUs as I just don't like the noise the fans generate and I would highly recommend. :) You'll drop a little cash initially to put the system together with pump, tubing, radiator, reservoir, clamps, and blocks, but once your base cooling loop is together, all you really have to upgrade from there is the blocks and occasionally replace a radiator fan or something small like that. Here is what I'm running now for reference, feel free to hit me up with any questions if you're ever considering a switch over to liquid.
EVGA X99 Classified
Intel Core i7 6850k - Liquid Cooled
32GB DDR4 2800 - Corsair Dominator Series
(2) NVidia GTX 1080 Ti - Liquid Cooled - 2-Way SLI (EVGA HB Bridge)
EVGA Supernova 1200P2 PSU
Windows 7 x64

Thanks for the information!

I have two questions, actually... First, how difficult was it to install a custom loop? Second, are temps usually better than top-tier air coolers?

I have one of the better air coolers on the market currently, the Noctua NH-D15. As long as a custom loop isn't a 60-hour ordeal and it will keep things cooler than my current fan setup, I'm happy.

For reference, if it's important, my new system is as follows.

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
Intel i7 8700K (not OCed yet)
EVGA 650W PSU, believe it was a 650B. Nothing too special.

Noise is actually not a big concern for me. I use a decent pair of headphones so all I usually hear is a low hum, which I find soothing more than annoying. Still, I'm all for silence as long as it fits my other two criteria.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10661701 said:
Thanks for the information! I have two questions, actually... First, how difficult was it to install a custom loop? Second, are temps usually better than top-tier air coolers? I have one of the better air coolers on the market currently, the Noctua NH-D15. As long as a custom loop isn't a 60-hour ordeal and it will keep things cooler than my current fan setup, I'm happy. For reference, if it's important, my new system is as follows. EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Intel i7 8700K (not OCed yet) EVGA 650W PSU, believe it was a 650B. Nothing too special. Noise is actually not a big concern for me. I use a decent pair of headphones so all I usually hear is a low hum, which I find soothing more than annoying. Still, I'm all for silence as long as it fits my other two criteria.

As far as difficulty, certain parts are really easy, and other parts can be a little more 'worrisome'. Hooking up the radiator, the reservoir, the tubing, and clamps is all REALLY easy. I mean literally you're just screwing the barbs into the mounting holes and then putting the tubing on them followed by hose clamps (super simple - all you need is a basic screwdriver for that). The part that can be hectic is mounting the block on your GPU / CPU. It's not that it's 'difficult' as again you're just using a screwdriver and carefully lining things up and screwing them on, it's that in the back of your mind, you're going to be a little worried, thinking what if something goes wrong, etc. :) I've been doing this for upwards of 15-20 years now, and even last year when I was installing fullcover EK waterblocks on 7-day old 1080 Ti cards, there's a part of me that's a little nervous during that installation as I'm literally taking $1400 worth of GPUs completely apart and mounting waterblocks on them. Everything went smooth, as I took my time, but I can see that being a little 'disconcerting' for anyone. My advice there is just take your time, one step at a time, and don't panic. A number of companies these days actually sell cards with pre-mounted waterblocks which is a good option as well if you want to avoid the custom installation of the block. I know EVGA & MSI both sell waterblocked versions of some of their cards which is a good way to go. I actually did that with my Titan X Maxwell cards before the 1080Ti models - I bought two of the EVGA Titan X Hydro Copper model which came with an EK block already mounted and that made installation a piece of cake + the cards are warrantied through the manufacturer if you were to have any issues. CPU installs are, IMO, easier than GPUs because you don't have to worry about the rest of the card when you're doing the CPU - there's no attached memory, VRMs, etc. that you have to be wary of - the downside to a CPU install though is you'll generally have to pull the motherboard in order to mount the backplate for the waterblock. Sometimes it's helpful to have an assistant to just hold things in place for you while you're bolting things in.

You'll definitely want to block out some time for a full switchover from air to water - in your case if your doing a CPU & GPU switchover, that'll take some time - you'll have to pull the stock coolers off, and then figure out all the details on where you want to locate everything as far as your pump, reservoir, radiator(s), etc. and how you want your loop to look and run.

As far as cooling - generally, yes. I haven't run an air cooler on any of my CPUs since probably around ~2002 and CPUs these days generate a ton more heat than they did back then, but I would imagine liquid cooling will still net you a significant gain over the best air coolers (would be worth doing more research though just to confirm). I have a 6850k (stock clocks) that, this time of year, loads around 35-40* C while playing Witcher 3. In summer when the temps are a good 10-15 degrees hotter in my house, it'll load around 40-45*C playing Witcher 3. Not sure what kind of temps you are seeing with yours, but I think you'd probably still see some good gains - and remember I've got (2) 1080Ti cards in the same loop with my 6850k heating the water up, too. :) The video cards usually run around ~45*C this time of year, and ~55*C in the summer - and that's with conservative fan settings on my radiators - if I see temps start to go into the 60s on the GPUs I have a fan controller I just spool up and that brings them back down. It all comes down to how aggressive you want to be with the fans. You could install some fans that move some crazy volumes of air (but will be really loud) to keep things super cool all the time - it just comes down to your noise tolerance. Since I like silence, I run my fans on the lowest possible settings that I can get away with to maintain silence but cool my equipment well enough so that stability is never even close to becoming an issue.

Hope that helps you out a little bit - switching to liquid isn't for everyone, but to me it sounded like you were semi interested by using the AIO cooler so figured I'd try to give you a nudge toward liquid, or even just to do a little more research into it and see if it might be right for you. If you're into lighting, some people use black lights and UV fluid in their loops to make the tubes glow. I switched over to liquid back around 2002 and haven't looked back. Can it be a pain in the a$$ if you run into an issue? ABSOLUTELY. So I don't want to downplay that, but I'll say it's a really neat feeling once you complete the conversion and get everything running. No noise, no heat-related stability issues, EVER (unless you're OCing), better overclocking (if you're into that) are all some really nice pros. I used to be pretty into overclocking, but for the past 8-10 years, I am just into silence and stability. My system never locks up or crashes from a heat-related incident. I mean NEVER. It's been a decade or more since I've had any problems that I've had to troubleshoot due to heat on either the GPU or CPU and that's a nice feeling. :)

Here's a pic of my rig too just for reference so you can see the general layout of it -

Last edited:
Razrback16;n10667261 said:
Here's a pic of my rig too just for reference so you can see the general layout of it -

Thanks so much for the detailed information! Glad to hear it's not that difficult. I wonder if setting up a custom block for my 1080 would void the warranty, though...

Yes, 45C under LOAD is insane compared to what I get now. I sit around ~60C for my CPU under load, but I do have an 8700k, which is known for running hot by default (not certain if that's due to poor thermal compound underneath the lid, but it's a common issue).

Definitely interested in trying this out. When I get some more money together, I'll give it a whirl.

Do you have any thoughts on this website? https://www.ekwb.com/solutions/custom-loop/

I saw them a while back and thought it looked like an interesting way to just get everything all at once.

Snowflakez;n10669881 said:
Thanks so much for the detailed information! Glad to hear it's not that difficult. I wonder if setting up a custom block for my 1080 would void the warranty, though...

Yes, 45C under LOAD is insane compared to what I get now. I sit around ~60C for my CPU under load, but I do have an 8700k, which is known for running hot by default (not certain if that's due to poor thermal compound underneath the lid, but it's a common issue).

Definitely interested in trying this out. When I get some more money together, I'll give it a whirl.

Do you have any thoughts on this website? https://www.ekwb.com/solutions/custom-loop/

I saw them a while back and thought it looked like an interesting way to just get everything all at once.

Sure no problem - yes, when you change the cooler, you're almost certainly going to void the warranty. (A lot of folks keep their stock coolers around so that if needed, they could potentially reinstall them for RMA - just gotta look at the card first to make sure it doesn't have tamper proof screws on it - if so, then the manufacturer will know it was modified) This might be another great reason for your next upgrade to possibly look into buying a pre-waterblocked card so that you don't have to worry about the warranty. :)

Yes - EK makes some of the best watercooling equipment out there (I'm running all EK waterblocks right now between my CPU & GPUs). They specialize in this market, so if you go through them for your stuff and even have them help you design your loop, that would be a great route to go for a first time. When I got into it back in 2002, EK didn't even exist I don't think - a company called Asetek made a 'kit' that fit both my GPU & CPU at the time and so I went with that the first time so that I knew EVERYTHING would be compatible and fit, etc. and it did, and then from there as I upgraded, I just gradually modified the loop and put larger diameter tubing in, a better radiator, pump, reservoir, etc. until now nothing from my original Asetek kit remains, it's all 100% custom. It's just at first when you're trying to get into it, you don't always know all the terminology, etc. to ensure compatibility, so by all means I'd encourage you use a company like EK to help you pick the proper pieces that will fit your build. :)

i was planning on playing it on my xbox one but that was when we all thought it would be out in 2016-2017. now i will probably go for ps5 but i heard MS has exclusive marketing rights and might get some exclusives. so im not sure what im going to do now.

Suna2145;n10775681 said:
I want to play it on PC. But I don't think it will be able to handle it.

Sounds like CP2077 will be fairly advanced and have some high requirements, but that's ok - just upgrade prior to the release my friend. :) I will most likely be doing the same and I have a pretty good gaming rig now.

Razrback16;n10780281 said:
Sounds like CP2077 will be fairly advanced and have some high requirements, but that's ok - just upgrade prior to the release my friend. :) I will most likely be doing the same and I have a pretty good gaming rig now.

I'm planning to take advantage of EVGA's "step up" program to snag a 1080 Ti this month, upgrading from a 1080. Hopefully that's enough to get ~100FPS or so.

Razrback16;n10780281 said:

But the prices of GPUs....

Suna2145;n10780591 said:
But the prices of GPUs....

... are dropping significantly, and it's incredibly easy to get one even when they were at high prices. You just setup stock notifications or take advantage of EVGA's DIY bundle system.

But yes, GPUs in general (prior to the price inflation) are expensive pieces of hardware and there's absolutely no reason you should be forced to buy one (or feel forced to do so) if you don't want to or can't afford it at all. A console will do ya just fine.

Ya, I've read NVidia is working on releasing some GPUs that are specifically designed for mining - hopefully that'll help the price of gaming GPUs drop to more reasonable levels.

Top Bottom