E3 2018 and Beyond- What I think will happen

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowflakez;n10421682 said:
It's not confirmation of anything, and I'm certainly not getting my hopes up, though. And I agree that the particular line Lis referenced is meaningless (as is CDPR being just registered).
At least they are registered unlike E3 2017.

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I figure this is the best place to do so as this is the area of the forum (discussion) I've been on and off lurking around and most likely to post onto. I tried creating my own topic for this, but alas until I make 10 posts thats not possible. So, hi everyone!

I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about the cyberpunk world? Or even suggest some good books to introduce me to it, I love reading. I've read a couple of dystopian future novels, but none really focusing around tech (think more 1984), and although I love the books I have read involving dystopian futures, I'm generally more of a fantasy person (think A Song of Ice and Fire). Then again sci-fi and dystopia are really just fantasies about the future, at heart they focus on telling stories about people who do not live in our current world.

This game initially caught my attention because I absolutely adored The Witcher 3, I never played the previous games because I play on console, not because console is superior (far from it) but because I unfortunately have neither the money nor space for a pc gaming set-up. After playing The Witcher 3, and seeing how much time and thought CDPR put into even the shortest of side quests, honestly many of their side quests have a better story than most entire games; and how lore filled and beautiful the world they created is (even when you're in a war ravaged swamp its still somehow beautiful). And then when they released two reasonably priced DLCs that have more content than all of Fall Out 4, it really just sealed the deal. I will purchase virtually anything CDPR comes out with because I know it'll have loads of thought provoking, well planned, impactful story telling, set in an amazing world that feels completely alive. This game will be VERY different from TW3, but I am sure it will be just as awesome. Thus far I'm just picturing something similar to Deus Ex games, but just unequivocally 1,000x better in every aspect (storytelling, setting, gameplay, etc.)

So, I'd like to know more about this world, and most of you here seem really really into the subject matter of this sci-fi dystopia, so I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on what you think it'll be like and some good introductory literature to read to immerse myself in it (length does not dissuade me in the slightest). Sorry for not posting this as its own post, but again it isn't allowed since I'm new. Maybe the mods can move this to its own topic for me, since I know it really doesn't fit with this topic on a whole, well other than that since the game's release seems somewhat imminent (hopefully) I'm really excited to play and want to know more about it.

Since they're registered they obviously have something they want to show people ... what ... who can say.
It might possibly be the reveal of the other game they plan to release before 2021.

atiggerx33;n10424522 said:
Hi, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I figure this is the best place to do so as this is the area of the forum (discussion) I've been on and off lurking around and most likely to post onto. I tried creating my own topic for this, but alas until I make 10 posts thats not possible. So, hi everyone!

I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about the cyberpunk world?
Hi there!

I'd suggest you look over the F.A.Q. and any topics that interest you. Because there's tons of published material for the Cyberpunk 2020 pen-n-paper game we're pretty sure will be used as background/backstory for CP2077. And the creator of the PnP game is working closely with CDPR.

Essentially imagine America 2018 where the federal government has all but collapsed and corporations have taken over many of it's functions in the cities (much the way the Guilds ruled the cities in midevil Europe. Ever seen the movie "Robocop"?) with essential zero oversight or government regulation. The countryside outside the suburbs is pretty much a wasteland due to pollution, climate change, essentially zero maintenance of the infrastructure, and abandonment for the "good life" in the cities. Cybernetic augmentation is commonplace and not all that remarkable unless it's extensive. Robocop WOULD attract attention!

Suhiira;n10425002 said:
It might possibly be the reveal of the other game they plan to release before 2021.

It may be too early for that, if the reveal of that game was meant to be a surprise when it is already relatively close to release. Although it would not be easy to keep it a secret for a long time even when the game is already in full production and new people need to be hired to work on it. I still think it is more likely to be either Gwent or CP2077 at E3, or both.

In my opinion it really can only be Cyberpunk, as the most important thing you could show for Gwent are the campaigns, but they already showed them in other events, even with hands on playthroughs for journalists iirc.

There's simply nothing big enough other than cyberpunk that would make sense to be at E3 for, and this I mean in terms of money, dev's time, etc.

atiggerx33;n10424522 said:

I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about the cyberpunk world? Or even suggest some good books to introduce me to it, I love reading. I've read a couple of dystopian future novels, but none really focusing around tech (think more 1984), and although I love the books I have read involving dystopian futures, I'm generally more of a fantasy person (think A Song of Ice and Fire). Then again sci-fi and dystopia are really just fantasies about the future, at heart they focus on telling stories about people who do not live in our current world.

This game initially caught my attention because I absolutely adored The Witcher 3, I never played the previous games because I play on console, not because console is superior (far from it) but because I unfortunately have neither the money nor space for a pc gaming set-up. After playing The Witcher 3, and seeing how much time and thought CDPR put into even the shortest of side quests, honestly many of their side quests have a better story than most entire games; and how lore filled and beautiful the world they created is (even when you're in a war ravaged swamp its still somehow beautiful). And then when they released two reasonably priced DLCs that have more content than all of Fall Out 4, it really just sealed the deal. I will purchase virtually anything CDPR comes out with because I know it'll have loads of thought provoking, well planned, impactful story telling, set in an amazing world that feels completely alive. This game will be VERY different from TW3, but I am sure it will be just as awesome. Thus far I'm just picturing something similar to Deus Ex games, but just unequivocally 1,000x better in every aspect (storytelling, setting, gameplay, etc.)

So, I'd like to know more about this world, and most of you here seem really really into the subject matter of this sci-fi dystopia, so I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on what you think it'll be like and some good introductory literature to read to immerse myself in it (length does not dissuade me in the slightest). Sorry for not posting this as its own post, but again it isn't allowed since I'm new. Maybe the mods can move this to its own topic for me, since I know it really doesn't fit with this topic on a whole, well other than that since the game's release seems somewhat imminent (hopefully) I'm really excited to play and want to know more about it.

Great to have you. :) Welcome!

Su pretty much nailed it. Her and Sard (a mod) are probably the best people to ask about the world of Cyberpunk, as they're long-time PnP vets.

Also, to clarify a point she made, 2077 is most definitely based on the 2020 PnP, it's just how many of the mechanics (if any) will be brought over that is up in the air. However, if you want a really great, in-depth look into the world and what you should expect as far as tone and style in 2077 goes, pick up a copy of the 2020 rulebook. You can either Google around to try to find a summary in PDF form, or buy a copy of the book yourself, available here: https://talsorianstore.com/collections/cyberpunk/products/cyberpunk-2020

Suhiira;n10425002 said:
Since they're registered they obviously have something they want to show people ... what ... who can say.
Too stupid move to do.

Riven-Twain;n10423192 said:
How's that coming along, then?
You figured out how to bypass the cyber-hounds yet?

In the last 2020 run I ever played, I ran a solo that was abducted by an Ai that controlled a hospital the player group owned and ran because I mocked the security cannons that were in the entrance lobby.
The Ai was female and the rolls made by the GM had it fall for my character.
The cyber-hounds come into play when I make an escape. I flex and pose at the hounds as a joke, GM rolls for a cool check just for fun and manages to roll a critical failure so the hounds bolt out of the hospital and are never seen again. So just flex and pose like a body builder, it worked for me.

As for E3 2018, I do hope we see something this year 3077 related, while it has been 5 years or so the itch for anything Cyberpunk 2020 related has gotten something fierce.

metalmaniac21;n10428922 said:
Too stupid move to do.
Why stupid?

I'll freely admit it's so improbable as to be nearly impossible but I'm curious why it would be stupid?

As the old saying goes ... If it works it ain't stupid.

That said ... even with an actual Luck stat in the game one shouldn't rely on it too much.

Suhiira;n10433292 said:
Why stupid?

I'll freely admit it's so improbable as to be nearly impossible but I'm curious why it would be stupid?

Presumably because CP2077 is where all the hype is right now. Announcing a new IP wouldn't be stupid, IMO, just a really bizarre marketing move that might not pay off.

I'm wondering something... Can some one confirm that CDPR has stated they plan a significant marketing plan for CP2077?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom