E3 2018 and Beyond- What I think will happen

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may release in 2077. We hear basically nothing. We had 1 trailer on it years ago. Its either going to be bad or pushed back due to them making Gwent and some other game. We should at least get another trailer by now.

I have a gut feeling we will know ALOT more about CP2077 within the next two years. not surprised with the whole *beep* thing due to the fallout fanbase (if there is not a Fallout easter egg, i will be sad) I think we will hear more at either E3 2918 or the 2018 Game Awards.

LUNITIC_WILL;n10461952 said:
I think we will hear more at either E3 2918 or the 2018 Game Awards.
LUNITIC_WILL;n10461952 said:

I like your optimism.

animalfather;n10463612 said:
i remember back in the good ol' days we thought this game would be out in 2016, 2017 latest lol

Now many of us think the game will be out by 2019-2020, what if we are wrong now the same way we were in the good ol' days. Cyberpunk 2077 might come out in 2022.

SarahAustin;n10461862 said:
We hear basically nothing. We had 1 trailer on it years ago. Its either going to be bad or pushed back due to them making Gwent and some other game. We should at least get another trailer by now.

How awesome would it be if they managed to get it out the back end of this year. I'd like to think they've been working hard on it the last 5 or so years.

Razrback16;n10467752 said:
How awesome would it be if they managed to get it out the back end of this year. I'd like to think they've been working hard on it the last 5 or so years.

Awesome yes? Likely? No. Good thing i can just always play through Witcher 3 with the NG++ mod.

SarahAustin;n10468072 said:
Awesome yes? Likely? No. Good thing i can just always play through Witcher 3 with the NG++ mod.

I think it's as likely as anything else. I haven't heard a single compelling reason that the game won't release in 2018, just cynical glass-half-full reasoning.

For what it's worth, I also don't think it will, but that's a gut feeling. Not based in fact. They've worked on the game for years and they have a 300-man/woman-strong team, or something to that effect.

I'm guessing a Q2 2019 release at the latest (anything can happen, though) but a Q4 2018 seems possible too.

Razrback16;n10461532 said:
With all this talk about another AAA RPG from CDPR - anybody heard anything at all to indicate if it is another IP, or part of an existing series such as The Witcher (would love to see more from that world).

metalmaniac said that he heard some rumors about that secret project being a new IP set in a historical medieval setting (so similar to the upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance), but since there is no evidence that would support it for now, there is really no reason to take it as anything but rumors. The only thing I know for sure regarding that project is that Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, game director of The Witcher 3, is involved in it's development, so probably they already have a small team working on it.

Pros to Cyberpunk 2077 coming out by the end of this year:
  • The game already has the Red Engine (witcher 3 needed 1 year to make said engine)
  • The developing team is currently around 300 people (witcher 3 had 80).
  • It's pre production before late 2015/early 2016 might have quicken things up.
Cons to being released this year:
  • it took 3.5 years to make Witcher 3, if CP2077 comes out by the end of this year it will have taken from late 2015/early 2016 to late 2018, 3 years
  • CP2077 may be more detailed than Witcher in many aspects (classes, possible different gameplay styles, cars, guns, a huge city and not just open fields, possibly custom character, etc)
late 2015/early 2016 because around that time CDPR started fully focusing on the game and its also the time they stopped making DLCs for Witcher 3

Lisbeth_Salander;n10468442 said:
late 2015/early 2016 because around that time CDPR started fully focusing on the game and its also the time they stopped making DLCs for Witcher 3[

Nah. They had a significant team on it since they decided to go with the game, in 2012. That team size varied, but it ran as high as 80ish people, iirc, during Witcher 3 development. Then they dropped it during the last year or so of W3 development to skeleton levels, rebounding nearly immediately on W3 release.

This idea that they've been barely working on it until 2015 or 2016 or whatever is not accurate. Never was.

Sardukhar;n10468752 said:
Nah. They had a significant team on it since they decided to go with the game, in 2012. That team size varied, but it ran as high as 80ish people, iirc, during Witcher 3 development. Then they dropped it during the last year or so of W3 development to skeleton levels, rebounding nearly immediately on W3 release.

This idea that they've been barely working on it until 2015 or 2016 or whatever is not accurate. Never was.

Thanks for this clarification. That misinformation gets spread around quite a bit.

Riven-Twain;n10468822 said:
Here's a shot from one of their planning meetings around that time:

As we can see, it was essentially bare-bones.

I love you.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10468442 said:
Pros to Cyberpunk 2077 coming out by the end of this year:
  • The game already has the Red Engine (witcher 3 needed 1 year to make said engine)
  • The developing team is currently around 300 people (witcher 3 had 80).
  • It's pre production before late 2015/early 2016 might have quicken things up.
Cons to being released this year:
  • it took 3.5 years to make Witcher 3, if CP2077 comes out by the end of this year it will have taken from late 2015/early 2016 to late 2018, 3 years
  • CP2077 may be more detailed than Witcher in many aspects (classes, possible different gameplay styles, cars, guns, a huge city and not just open fields, possibly custom character, etc)
late 2015/early 2016 because around that time CDPR started fully focusing on the game and its also the time they stopped making DLCs for Witcher 3

Don't forget the last con. Assuming the game will come out this year (which I seriously doubt), it would be most likely in the last quarter of the year, which is when Red Dead Redemption 2 supposed to come out as well. I don't think going against Rockstar would be a smart idea from marketing standpoint.

Shavod;n10472052 said:
Don't forget the last con. Assuming the game will come out this year (which I seriously doubt), it would be most likely in the last quarter of the year, which is when Red Dead Redemption 2 supposed to come out as well. I don't think going against Rockstar would be a smart idea from marketing standpoint.

How would they be going against Rockstar in any way? It's not even a GTA game that R* is releasing this time. Big AAA releases launch alongside each other all the time, and unless they're directly competing (CoD and Battlefield) it should be no issue.

Snowflakez;n10472272 said:
How would they be going against Rockstar in any way? It's not even a GTA game that R* is releasing this time. Big AAA releases launch alongside each other all the time, and unless they're directly competing (CoD and Battlefield) it should be no issue.

I do not know how developers usually handle this, but is it usual to delay an otherwise already finished and ready to release game by months only because of the competition? Although I am not sure how much the delay helps either, being first to the market does also have an advantage.

sv3672;n10472412 said:
I do not know how developers usually handle this, but is it usual to delay an otherwise already finished and ready to release game by months only because of the competition? Although I am not sure how much the delay helps either, being first to the market does also have an advantage.

I'm not a developer, so I can't say anything with 100% certainty, but based on prior experience with buying games and witnessing delays for myself, I've been given no reason to think that's the case.

Delays happen either as a marketing ploy (Rockstar - they delay every single one of their games at least twice to keep their name in the news) or because the game genuinely needs more time to be finished (CDPR). I don't think I've ever seen a developer opt to pay staff full salary for several extra months just to avoid competing with another title.

Snowflakez;n10472492 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a developer opt to pay staff full salary for several extra months just to avoid competing with another title.
And you probably never will.

The ONLY time releasing two games in the same time span would really be a significant problem would be if they were near clones in terms of setting and gameplay mechanics. The tired old trope about competing games assumes most gamers impulse buy every new title because it's new and have only limited resources. More marketing bullshit or "urban legend" crap.

Shavod;n10468302 said:
metalmaniac said that he heard some rumors about that secret project being a new IP set in a historical medieval setting (so similar to the upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance), but since there is no evidence that would support it for now, there is really no reason to take it as anything but rumors. The only thing I know for sure regarding that project is that Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, game director of The Witcher 3, is involved in it's development, so probably they already have a small team working on it.

Thanks much for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom