Rumours and Speculations

+
Snowflakez;n10490852 said:
Don't. PnP players and RPG fans are not their audience.They are a mainstream developer now and they will likely appeal to the mainstream audience

What? What are you smoking over there? 2077 is based on a POPULAR PnP RPG Game and it is a RPG, how are these two groups NOT the audience they are selling to?! Where are you getting these ideas from?
Also, Hardcore for the mainstream is any game that doesn't hold their hands and give them a trophy for just walking forward.

Sardukhar;n10491562 said:
So yeah, my opinion is that those posts tended to the too-cynical and negatively judgemental by a heavy amount.

I agree on one hand but on my chrome hand it's been about 5 years now :p

Sardukhar;n10490862 said:
Come on. It'll be a huge hit. They'll make a mint. Whether it appeals to each of our individual needs is a different matter.

And I have faith that this will happen for 2077 because in my opinion it's based on Cyberpunk 2020 and many of us old table-top Cyberpunk 2020 players have been aching for a game based on it. And I have faith that CDPR will be able to make a phenomenal single player mode and a co-op game modes.

Snowflakez;n10490892 said:
If you target the mainstream (which is not inherently a bad thing, just not to some of our tastes) you will get mainstream $$$. And good for CDPR.
If they were targeting the "mainstream" CP2077 would be an "Destiny 2" or "Battlefront 2" near-clone, and I don't even remotely suspect it will be. Those are the games with the potentially big sales numbers. The only reason they're not selling as well as they could be is the monetization BS their publishers are trying to pull.

That sort of game isn't CDPRs "thing". They make RPGs, and do it in such a way that it appeals to the RPG-lite and new-to-RPGs crowd. They don't do shooters, platformers, racing , or sports games; or any of a host of other target audiences.

Snowflakez;n10490892 said:
Also, whether it's their forums or not, I don't think we shouldn't be allowed to be cynical here. Unless that's a rule I've missed somewhere.
Cynical is my middle name!
You just need to keep in mind not to take it to far because it then becomes derisive or mocking.

A game doesn’t have to be “mainstream” and “casual” in order to be successful. Look at Souls games, Bloodborne is one of the best selling PS4 exclusives to date. A hardcore game for a casual console. The series as a whole (excluding BB) probably sold more copies that The Witcher.
Or the newest Divinity - fantastic old school RPG which sold a few million copies within the first couple months after the release.

It’s all about marketing and quality not about the game having certain mechanics making the game experience easier. We’re not in Xbox Kinect era anymore.
And I’m not saying CDPR aren’t going to go that way. They might. But that would be merely a game-vision directed design decision not something to boost the sales up significantly

Sardukhar;n10491562 said:
Actually, there are a bunch of things you can't say - it's in the Rules. Check my sig. Not even that extreme, either.

As for not being cynical, that wasn't in blue, so it was just my opinion. Although again, by the rules, as soon as moderators think people are being unkind, to each other or CDPR, yeah, we can shut it down.

But that's not what I meant. I meant that the "we'll see! We'll just see!" comments that made up nearly every post after Liz' post of Iwinski saying "We know we need to deliver. And we will" are just disheartening and kind of cold. Based on what? A good to great series of games by a developer that wants to make you happy?

So yeah, my opinion is that those posts tended to the too-cynical and negatively judgemental by a heavy amount.

And I stand by it. CDPR doesn't really need more doubt - not sure what that is going to accomplish. I saw that for W2 and 3 and it didn't do much good there.

Having issues with things in-game is fine, but we don't know what's in game yet. So when the founder says, "we'll deliver", maybe saying, "good luck!" would be appropriate. And polite. And friendly.

As opposed to, "we'll see." or "Time will tell."

I share kofeiiniturpa's sentiments here. But to address the comment about there being rules against stuff, obviously I didn't mean you can literally say anything here. I was saying you can express any opinion (not necessarily on these forums) politely or impolitely. I prefer to do it politely, if possible.

I know you're a mod and you have discretion to shut down or stop things as you please. But I would hope you wouldn't do so just because you disagree, or are a little frustrated with somebody even though they aren't breaking any rules or even being rude. And for what it's worth, I like you and think you and most if not all of the other mods are fair, reasonable fellas. I like discussing stuff with you all.

If you don't want my "ilk" around, so to speak, that's fine. You can just say it. But I'm not a 24/7 optimistic person. I do have faith in CDPR. I like CDPR. I've bought every single one of their games and the starter pack in GWENT for that reason. But I also have a lot of doubts. And I would like to be free to express those doubts as often as I please, so long as I'm not hurting anyone else (I've messed up in the past and apologized), intentionally derailing topics, or causing personal attacks. The reason I like being here is because I can say these things without being downvoted to hell and getting a bunch of angry PMs from upset redditors.

Again, CDPR are big boys and girls and do not need to be protected from cynical opinions - just my thoughts on the matter.

Anyway, now we are actually getting off topic, so I guess we can take it to PM if anything more needs to be said, or if you feel the need to ban me or something (joke).

Here's hoping for a showing at E3 this year, and a release in 2019. Go, CDPR!

Suhiira;n10493142 said:
If they were targeting the "mainstream" CP2077 would be an "Destiny 2" or "Battlefront 2" near-clone, and I don't even remotely suspect it will be. Those are the games with the potentially big sales numbers. The only reason they're not selling as well as they could be is the monetization BS their publishers are trying to pull.

That sort of game isn't CDPRs "thing". They make RPGs, and do it in such a way that it appeals to the RPG-lite and new-to-RPGs crowd. They don't do shooters, platformers, racing , or sports games; or any of a host of other target audiences.

Cynical is my middle name!
You just need to keep in mind not to take it to far because it then becomes derisive or mocking.

Mainstream for me = TW3, Skyrim, Bioware RPG.
Mainstream success = The same: the financial success of those games.

Maybe it would have been more correct to say "mainstream RPG." I am under no illusion that they are going to create Destiny 2.5.

My point was that CP2077 will be super successful because it's likely going to be a mainstream RPG, not a Pillars of Eternity-like, more niche title (though that game was a success as well). That's all I meant.

I'm also not sure when I've ever mocked anyone, so I'm going to assume you're speaking generally. Outside of one or two isolated incidents, I've never said anything worse than you guys.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10493992 said:
I'm also not sure when I've ever mocked anyone, so I'm going to assume you're speaking generally. Outside of one or two isolated incidents, I've never said anything worse than you guys.
I usually try to speak in general terms (which of course sometimes leads to misunderstandings) because most of the time I'm referring to generalities (too many folks try to generalize off a specific, and that's usually a bit foolish). If I'm making a specific point, or referring to a specific incident/post rest assured I'll reference it.

Raxaphan;n10493392 said:
You made me smile.
But if I change sides I'll rob you of your "told you so" joy.

That makes sense. You are forever banned from the "5 years waiting for this game, if it doens't appear on E3 it will be a shame" AKA "Sure" group.

Snowflakez;n10490852 said:
PnP players and RPG fans are not their audience. They are a mainstream developer now and they will likely appeal to the mainstream audience.

I think they'll try to appeal to both. But, the witcher lore was about story only it didn't have anything related to gameplay, unlike Cyberpunk 2020 lore which has story AND gameplay mechanics.

CDPR was faithfull to witcher with its story.
CDPR will likely be faithfull with Cyberpunk 2077's story and gameplay, since they have inspiration from CP2020.

walkingdarkly;n10493012 said:
What? What are you smoking over there? 2077 is based on a POPULAR PnP RPG Game and it is a RPG, how are these two groups NOT the audience they are selling to?! Where are you getting these ideas from? Also, Hardcore for the mainstream is any game that doesn't hold their hands and give them a trophy for just walking forward.
It will have mechs, does Cyberpunk 2020 has mechs? I don't think Cyberpunk 2020 has mechs.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10494222 said:
That makes sense. You are forever banned from the "5 years waiting for this game, if it doens't appear on E3 it will be a shame" AKA "Sure" group.

I think they'll try to appeal to both. But, the witcher lore was about story only it didn't have anything related to gameplay, unlike Cyberpunk 2020 lore which has story AND gameplay mechanics.

CDPR was faithfull to witcher with its story.
CDPR will likely be faithfull with Cyberpunk 2077's story and gameplay, since they have inspiration from CP2020.

It will have mechs, does Cyberpunk 2020 has mechs? I don't think Cyberpunk 2020 has mechs.

I think you're almost certainly right. I'm hoping and praying they manage to appeal to both in a way that doesn't feel... half-arsed, I guess. As in, trying to do both well and failing. I don't want them to spread themselves too thin, which is one of the reasons multiplayer has me worried. I feel like it's pretty hard to make game that really satisfies RPG fans and the PnP vets while also appealing to the more mainstream (not inferior) RPG crowd. This is not a problem exclusive to CDPR, of course, every game developer on the planet knows how tough that can be.

I do think 2020 has mechs, actually. But I don't know exactly what they're like.

walkingdarkly;n10493012 said:
What? What are you smoking over there? 2077 is based on a POPULAR PnP RPG Game and it is a RPG, how are these two groups NOT the audience they are selling to?! Where are you getting these ideas from?
Also, Hardcore for the mainstream is any game that doesn't hold their hands and give them a trophy for just walking forward.

Sorry, to be clear, I was referring to mainstream RPGs. I do not think you can feasibly satisfy the "classic" style RPG fans (a la Kingdom Come Deliverance, Pillars of Eternity) while simultaneously satisfying the more mainstream RPG audience and the PnP crowd (Which likely overlaps with a bit of both, but more the former). This is why niche titles exist, IMO.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility, and I'm not rooting against CDPR, I just personally don't think they're going to try to satisfy both. They will try their best to keep it true to the PnP, that's true. They will probably make a lot of PnP vets happy. But they will have a very hard time doing that, mainstream mechanics to appeal to a big audience, and satisfying fans of classic RPGs.

These are all very distinct audiences with distinctly different tastes, even if there are plenty of people who enjoy all 3 types of RPG.

No need for the hostility.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n10494222 said:
"...if it doesn't appear on E3 it will be a shame" AKA "Sure" group.
Lis, how can your group be called "sure" if you say "if it doesn't appear on E3 it will be a shame"?
Maybe we will see a cgi trailer before E3 and a gameplay trailer at E3.

Raxaphan;n10494362 said:
Lis, how can your group be called "sure" if you say "if it doesn't appear on E3 it will be a shame"?
Maybe we will see a cgi trailer before E3 and a gameplay trailer at E3.

Don't question Lis. He/she knows all.

Jokes aside, I think you're right. It'd be nice not to wait another, what, 4 months for another trailer. Or heck, even longer if we're wrong about E3.

Rawls;n10494472 said:
Suhcynicaliira?

Su "The Cynical One" Hiira

Raxaphan;n10494362 said:
Lis, how can your group be called "sure" if you say "if it doesn't appear on E3 it will be a shame"? Maybe we will see a cgi trailer before E3 and a gameplay trailer at E3.

I have doubted CDPR ironically, please forgive me M. Iwinski, oh god of immersion and good fortune...Words such as "doubt" shall never cross my lips again, because I believe thee oh divine one.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10495782 said:
I have doubted CDPR ironically, please forgive me M. Iwinski, oh god of immersion and good fortune...Words such as "doubt" shall never cross my lips again, because I believe thee oh divine one.
Nice grovelling!
Keep it up they may even let you play the game.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10497972 said:
He is such a nice person and he has a great sense of humor based on his interviews.
We've all seen the "PR Act" but it never quite seems come across as genuine like Mr. Iwinski.

(( Not that I've ever, or will ever probably, meet him. Sard has ... but he's Canuk, they'd find something nice to say about WW II Nazi leaders. ))

Last edited:
anyone here going to E3? thought maybe they could keep a journal about everything cyberpunk they see and hear.

Suhiira;n10498052 said:
but he's Canuk, they'd find something nice to say about WW II Nazi leaders. ))

I don't think it's nice to joke about other people's beliefs, let's not make fun of him just because he has a thing for nazi girls.

animalfather;n10498122 said:
anyone here going to E3? thought maybe they could keep a journal about everything cyberpunk they see and hear.

Any volunters? I think that americans are the ones who should go to E3 since it's easier for them.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n10498242 said:
I don't think it's nice to joke about other people's beliefs, let's not make fun of him just because he has a thing for nazi girls.

Any volunters? I think that americans are the ones who should go to E3 since it's easier for them.

Nobody else can go to E3 now, tickets are sold out. Press passes aren't being given out anymore, either. Only way to get in is to work in the industry and apply for an industry pass.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10498242 said:

i'm guessing that's not his jam, judging from his reaction to Nazi furries last year... but seriously, if this is someones jam, i'm gunna go out on a limb and say yes you are absolutely deserving of public ridicule. seriously, why is this a thing?

[ps. it took me a disturbingly long time to find one of these with no swastika on it, which was the objection last time. hope this is allowable to illustrate the point]

eraser7278;n10498492 said:
i'm guessing that's not his jam, judging from his reaction to Nazi furries last year... but seriously, if this is someones jam, i'm gunna go out on a limb and say yes you are absolutely deserving of public ridicule. seriously, why is this a thing?

[ps. it took me a disturbingly long time to find one of these with no swastika on it, which was the objection last time. hope this is allowable to illustrate the point]

Why are we even talking about Nazis here at all? I think I completely missed where this train began. Maybe we can talk about less horrible groups of people.

Top Bottom