Slow down the violence! :)

+
Slow down the violence! :)

The first movie is more on point but the idea of making violence more meaningful and a dramatic tool - wouldn't make more sense and in line with the viciousness of Friday Night Firefight?

Also I wonder if the game will also have the biggest trope in the gaming history: exploding barrels :)

Violence should be a last resort, in my humble opinion. That's not to say I'm a wuss who is afraid of getting my hands dirty, but in the PnP, combat is DEADLY. It's not something to be taken lightly. If you're getting into a gunfight, you'd better be prepared for it. Same goes for real life, from what I understand (I'll admit I've never been in a real gun fight myself...Thank goodness).

That said, player freedom within reason is also important. If players want to approach situations with a shoot first, ask questions later approach, let them - but also make it cost them something (their reputation among underground contacts, perhaps?), and don't make it a cakewalk like it is in GTA. Combat can and should be dangerous, but let's not deny the fact that it's also fun.

I wouldn't want the LA Noire approach, personally. That game had almost no combat, not just a small amount. I want to be able to shoot things at some point (Though my first few characters will focus on as much non-lethal/bluffing as possible).

No. Make violance actually meaningful and impactful. Emphasize on the fact that this very person is dead and how did they're become just a pile of meat and bones. (and possibly still fresh organs to collect, if you're that poor and desperate and without principles)
With all adequate reactions from the living.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10383842 said:
Violence should be a last resort, in my humble opinion. That's not to say I'm a wuss who is afraid of getting my hands dirty, but in the PnP, combat is DEADLY. It's not something to be taken lightly. If you're getting into a gunfight, you'd better be prepared for it. Same goes for real life, from what I understand (I'll admit I've never been in a real gun fight myself...Thank goodness).

That said, player freedom within reason is also important. If players want to approach situations with a shoot first, ask questions later approach, let them - but also make it cost them something (their reputation among underground contacts, perhaps?), and don't make it a cakewalk like it is in GTA. Combat can and should be dangerous, but let's not deny the fact that it's also fun.

I wouldn't want the LA Noire approach, personally. That game had almost no combat, not just a small amount. I want to be able to shoot things at some point (Though my first few characters will focus on as much non-lethal/bluffing as possible).

I concur. Violence, while a distinct POSSIBILITY in anything dealing with the genre', I don't think it should be the primary FOCUS of the game...There are enough of those types of games out there and if I wanted violence strictly for violence sake, I'd play one of those instead. (Probably not very much as I like a coherent storyline to go WITH the violence, thank you very much.). If you are wanting to stay true to the genre, violence usually has a reason BEHIND it...Even if it is some over enhanced "Borg Boy" feeling hemmed in by the meatbags. PLEASE CDPR, DON'T turn my beloved cyberpunk into a cheap, first person shoot-'em up.

Grotesque;n10383762 said:

The first movie is more on point but the idea of making violence more meaningful and a dramatic tool - wouldn't make more sense and in line with the viciousness of Friday Night Firefight?

Also I wonder if the game will also have the biggest trope in the gaming history: exploding barrels :)

Ah, the glorification of the horrors and drudgery of war. That is a dangerous trend and belief system....how soon we forget.

RLKing1969;n10384652 said:
I concur. Violence, while a distinct POSSIBILITY in anything dealing with the genre', I don't think it should be the primary FOCUS of the game...There are enough of those types of games out there and if I wanted violence strictly for violence sake, I'd play one of those instead. (Probably not very much as I like a coherent storyline to go WITH the violence, thank you very much.). If you are wanting to stay true to the genre, violence usually has a reason BEHIND it...Even if it is some over enhanced "Borg Boy" feeling hemmed in by the meatbags. PLEASE CDPR, DON'T turn my beloved cyberpunk into a cheap, first person shoot-'em up.
Unfortunately I expect to see a LOT more violence in CP2077 then I think there should be.

This is one place CDPR should take a lesson from Fallout 1 and 2, an essentially non-combat playthru should be possible.

Suhiira;n10384742 said:
Unfortunately I expect to see a LOT more violence in CP2077 then I think there should be.

This is one place CDPR should take a lesson from Fallout 1 and 2, an essentially non-combat playthru should be possible.

But not life-threatening-free!

Suhiira;n10384742 said:

I think I might wet myself if that's a possibility.

Suhiira;n10384742 said:

I too expect violence to be ever-present in the game, but what woul determine how unique the game would be is the degree you are required to participate in such violence, and how.

Sure you can have someone killed, but who says you have to get your own hands dirty? Connections and resources can be as deadly as any firearm. Sometimes all it takes is giving the right name to the wrong guy.

I expect violence to be present in the game, but limited to spheres of influence, zones. And not a guarantee event either.
If I go to a zone I might see a fight between gangs, but later when I return there I should not see a gang fight again.
There should be violence with different chances of happening, but should not be a 24/7 ever present city activity.
I want the law force to be a feared entity in Night City.

I agree with the OP and youtube video generally. I expect CP2077 to be violent and add to my every growing digital body-count. However, I agree that design wise violence is way over relied on as a way to keep people interested in most action-y games. I also agree that the slower parts of LA Noire where my absolute favorites. I really liked that game.

I remember this topic (and the video) has existed before. Maybe within some other more general thread instead of its own, but nevertheless...

I think violence should have a meaning in the game, a gameplay function the player needs to consider and which has reactions from the world and probably even the PC himself (can't bother going into details right now), and not be merely decorative and trivial like it is in any other game. That's not something I expect to actually happen, but it'd be a nice new dynamic for the gameplay.

>Giving the fact to the perspective given by the small developed information about this game.
>Seems like violence will be optional but always there for any porpoises.
>For me I would like to be a 50/50 give or take if there would be points in any moment, violence would be the only necessary rout.
>I am a sucker for investigation scenarios that gives a sense of detective work.
>This game being strongly straight from the PnP original source, seems likely that violence would play a second hand for most parts.
>And it sure needs to feel that when you interact with such option, violance... needs to be a very even uncomfortable experience depending the scenario.

Grotesque;n10383762 said:
Also I wonder if the game will also have the biggest trope in the gaming history: exploding barrels

Of course there will be exploding barrels, even The Witcher 3 has them. :) It is also likely the game will feature at least a few major quests of the "social" type where there is little to no violence, what I am not sure about is whether a full pacifist playthrough would be possible.

sv3672;n10390152 said:
Of course there will be exploding barrels, even The Witcher 3 has them. :) It is also likely the game will feature at least a few major quests of the "social" type where there is little to no violence, what I am not sure about is whether a full pacifist playthrough would be possible.

Not necessarily pacifist in the sense that you're trying to keep your hands clean (Though some here -- myself included -- certainly will want to try that playthrough if it exists) but more that you're avoiding violence because it's extremely deadly and messy. Far easier to manipulate somebody into doing what you want, or to bribe somebody, or to set up a trap for someone to walk into.

But yes, you are probably right, and that's unfortunate.

I'm obviously of the less is more persuasion when it comes to violence. In the end, though, I still believe that there should be an option to shoot my way through every situation. As long as, like others expressed, that results in meaningful consequences. More than just damage modeling, it would be great if the game had friendly characters stop trusting me or even become enemies. Vice versa, if playing the pacifist route, it would be awesome if the game constantly bombarded me with pressure to pull the trigger and kept me second-guessing whether I was being realistic. I imagine losing my job as an agent of the law because I refused to fire. Now, I still won't kill anyone...am still surrounded by enemies...and I don't even have the law on my side anymore. Various playstyles would be their own psychological challenges.

Top Bottom