x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far along do you think Cyberpunk 2077 is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lisbeth_Salander View Post
    The longer it takes to develop a game, the better the game may be.
    True but then there's the Duke Nukem Forever length of development. :P

Comment

Originally posted by walkingdarkly View Post

True but then there's the Duke Nukem Forever length of development. :P
      Yeah. Development length does not mean anything by itself.

In fact, striving for perfection can actually hurt a game in the long run. If you develop a game for 10 years, new technologies are going to come out in that timeframe and people's expectations will be higher than they would have been 5 years before that. Sure, you'll have more time to make your "Dream game," but what about your crew? Can they stay inspired and excited about a game for 10 years? Probably not, for most people.

You cannot create a perfect game, with the level of technology we have right now in the world, it is not feasible, unless your game is much smaller in scale with fewer bugs to squash and fewer complex mechanics to manage. Even then, there will always be that "one feature" somebody wants that isn't in.

I have full faith in the guys working on Bannerlord, for example, but that game has been in development for a very, very long time now - I believe even longer than 2077, though I could be wrong (I've been following it from the start but my memory is a little hazy). The company's lead developer/designer/whatever is a perfectionist and he takes too much of a hands-on approach at times and doesn't let his team do their thing.

That aside, I don't think we have anything to worry about with 2077. I am 95% certain it will be revealed at E3 this year and released -- at the latest -- Q3 or Q4 2019. I do not think we will have another DNF on our hands.

Comment

After 5 years of development, I think it should be available for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by AsadaShino0821 View Post
          After 5 years of development, I think it should be available for sale.

Its not 5 years in development. It is in full development since 2015/2016 after Witcher 3 and expansions release.. Before that it was pre production work and planning with very small team.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneky View Post

Its not 5 years in development. It is in full development since 2015/2016 after Witcher 3 and expansions release.. Before that it was pre production work and planning with very small team.
            "In full development" doesn't mean there wasn't any development prior to that. This is a common misconception. Developers that work on multiple games simultaneously rarely completely abandon one for another. Yes, CDPR shifted a lot of resources to TW3, but not all of them.

I'm willing to bet 2077 is a lot farther along than 2-3 years of development. Otherwise, it would make no sense for them to drop the hints they've dropped this year.

Comment

I think Shavod posted it somewhere that The Witcher 3 entered "full development" only around mid-2012, but I may remember wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sv3672 View Post
                I think Shavod posted it somewhere that The Witcher 3 entered "full development" only around mid-2012, but I may remember wrong.
                Speak of the devil...

Yes, preproduction for The Witcher 3 started somewhere in the second half of 2011, then the game went into full devolopment around the middle of 2012, soon after preproduction for Cyberpunk started. Based on LinkedIn page of some of the developers, we can see that in 2013-2014 period they were working, among other things, on prototype of Cyberpunk and the game's internal demo, though I don't know if it was completed, but it means that some serious work was certainly taking place there during that time. Also it's worth to notice that I know from the developers that the lengthy preproduction period does greatly helps in the long term, as we can see on the example of Blood and Wine, which despite being a huge expansion in a completely new region, took around half a year of full development to be made, thanks to the two years of early development provided via courtesy of Cracow division.

Comment

Working...
                X