How far along do you think Cyberpunk 2077 is?

+
Lisbeth_Salander;n10505872 said:
Can someone tell me if coding things up is something easy to do? (its probably not)

It generally depends on how much you want to code, but the general answer is no. One of the major problems of coding is that missing a single keystroke can break everything, and then you have to go through the entire process of picking out where the defunct code is located. Another problem is that games are so massive that when you code them, something else is inevitably affected when a code is fixed or removed, causing even more problems, which is why patches are as prominent as they are usually; patches are designed to fix those problems that fixing other problems creates. I would go as far as saying the coder's job is the hardest part.

Soldowner;n10506112 said:
I would go as far as saying the coder's job is the hardest part

That sentence also implies that the coding part of development is the one that takes most time when compared to others. I wonder how far into development Cyberpunk 2077 is.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10506262 said:
That sentence also implies that the coding part of development is the one that takes most time when compared to others. I wonder how far into development Cyberpunk 2077 is.

Not neccesarily the longest. I believe the longest phase is the initial concept phase.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10506322 said:
So it's a good thing that Cyberpunk 2077 started being developed back in 1987.

Coding is definitely not the longest part of game development. Art easily takes up the most time. 3D models, concept art, and animation. It can take weeks (if not longer) for someone to make a single high quality model. This is why CDPR has been hiring and advertising art-related positions so heavily lately.

Snowflakez;n10505602 said:

Consider the time frame. They may have announced CP way back in 2013, but the vast majority of the team was busy with TW3 and its expansions well into 2016. They didn't have the full force of the team on cyberpunk until two years ago basically. We already know they took most of the team off cyberpunk for TW3 mid-development.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10505872 said:
Can someone tell me if coding things up is something easy to do? (its probably not)

not for CDPR. ofc there is the dreaded gameplay testing phase where things get changed up

Lisbeth_Salander;n10506262 said:
It depends a LOT on the person writing the code.
Being a code monkey myself I'd say there are three major factors, and most people are weak in one or more of them.
1 - Efficiency - Does your code use the minimum amount of resources (memory and CPU time and space).
2 - Modularity - Does your code run independently (i.e. avoid the 'I broke X when I fixed Y' problem).
3 - Maintainability - Can other people look at your code and follow/understand it (some code is VERY hard to follow logically).

As to which aspect of developing a game is most time intensive ... I'd say animation.

Garrison72;n10507002 said:
Consider the time frame. They may have announced CP way back in 2013, but the vast majority of the team was busy with TW3 and its expansions well into 2016. They didn't have the full force of the team on cyberpunk until two years ago basically. We already know they took most of the team off cyberpunk for TW3 mid-development.

This right here makes me very pessimistic towards Cyberpunk 2077. 2 years is just too little for such a big game. What we may see at this years' E3 may not represent at all what the game actually is.

animalfather;n10507052 said:
not for CDPR. ofc there is the dreaded gameplay testing phase where things get changed up

things might change all the time thou

Suhiira;n10507492 said:
It depends a LOT on the person writing the code. Being a code monkey myself I'd say there are three major factors, and most people are weak in one or more of them. 1 - Efficiency - Does your code use the minimum amount of resources (memory and CPU time and space). 2 - Modularity - Does your code run independently (i.e. avoid the 'I broke X when I fixed Y' problem). 3 - Maintainability - Can other people look at your code and follow/understand it (some code is VERY hard to follow logically).
As to which aspect of developing a game is most time intensive ... I'd say animation

Those things look pretty hard for someone who is not from the area like me. The thing is, considering that they are 2 years FULLY working on the game just like Garrison said, then it will suck if CP2077 comes out this year. Why? I don't think that a game of this gigantic scope should be realesed this early.

Garrison72;n10507002 said:

They had about 80 people working on 2077 during that timeframe. Definitely enough to get some amount of work done.

The game hasn't just been in development for a year. That would be ridiculous.

Snowflakez;n10507772 said:
They had about 80 people working on 2077 during that timeframe. Definitely enough to get some amount of work done.

The game hasn't just been in development for a year. That would be ridiculous.

And they also have Gwent in production. On top of that, they mentioned yet another unnamed project. I'm just saying the full team was never on CP until 2016. That's a fact. They said it themselves. Now a long pre-production period was sure to be helpful, but consider their goals - MP, new setting, new type of combat, multiple classes, maybe fully functional vehicles. This is a much bigger task than TW3.

Garrison72;n10507822 said:
And they also have Gwent in production. On top of that, they mentioned yet another unnamed project. I'm just saying the full team was never on CP until 2016. That's a fact. They said it themselves. Now a long pre-production period was sure to be helpful, but consider their goals - MP, new setting, new type of combat, multiple classes, maybe fully functional vehicles. This is a much bigger task than TW3.

I guess we'll find out.

Really depends how extensive the pre-production was. If it included prototyping and engine development a couple years with a full team the size of the one they have now can get a LOT done. That said, I still don't expect a 2018 release, 2019 probably.

sp4wn_;n10496432 said:
my hopes are for 2018!

Maybe a release date in late 2018 will be announced at E3, then the game will be delayed into the first half of 2019. It is only a guess, but it seems quite possible to me.

To be fair, TW3 also only entered full development in the second half of 2012 as far as I know, since before that the second game still had to be supported with patches and making the enhanced edition/Xbox 360 port. And the initial size of the TW3 team was much smaller than that of CP2077 in 2016, TW2 was made by something like 80 people, and this number was expanded to ~250 throughout the development of Wild Hunt. Even if the full team was not working on CP2077 in H2 of 2015 to H1 of 2016, because of all the hiring it might already have been as large as Witcher 3's ever was.

In terms of the size of the project, TW2->TW3 may even have been a larger step than TW3->CP2077, it is CDPR's first open world game with 35x larger map area (if I recall correctly, according to an old interview), about 2.5x more dialogue lines even without the expansions, and it is a 64-bit engine on a new console generation.

It is hard to quantify how much difficulty the new setting and different combat (guns instead of medieval weapons) pose, though, and which stages of the development they affect the most. I would guess at least the changes in setting/lore are most significant during concept and pre-production.

Last edited:
Top Bottom