How far along do you think Cyberpunk 2077 is?

+
A 2018 release feels kind of impossible somehow. I suppose they could go guns out at E3 and go for an end of the year release date, but spring 2019 feels more likely.

sv3672;n10509592 said:
To be fair, TW3 also only entered full development in the second half of 2012 as far as I know, since before that the second game still had to be supported with patches and making the enhanced edition/Xbox 360 port.

CDPR only stopped working on Witcher 3 after releasing Blood and Wine on May 2016. So, CDPR may have only started fully giving attention to Cyberpunk 2077 around that time.
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

Suhiira;n10508612 said:
Really depends how extensive the pre-production was. If it included prototyping and engine development a couple years with a full team the size of the one they have now can get a LOT done. That said, I still don't expect a 2018 release, 2019 probably.

I'm the only one looking foward to a 2020 release.

Kuboniusz;n10488352 said:
Wouldn't be so sure about that.
In the case of W3, its content was announced to be locked in December 2014 (https://wccftech.com/the-witcher-3-content-locked-game-optimized-test-bugs/)
6 months before actual release, 2 (!!!!) months before the first delayed release date. Don't think it will be much different with CP
I do strongly believe the gamer is still in alpha and we definitely won't see it this year. This year's E3 is a different story though, way too many clues about that.

Its certainly possible, keep in mind W3 had major setbacks because it being their first open world game, they had to redo all grass and the streaming system iirc. Sure CP will probably have problems of its own though...

Geralt_of_bsas;n10543642 said:
Sure CP will probably have problems of its own though...
No doubt.
But as long as they're not "game breaking" (as in, you can't play the game at all because of them) they'll be patched ... eventually.

Suhiira;n10544652 said:
No doubt.
But as long as they're not "game breaking" (as in, you can't play the game at all because of them) they'll be patched ... eventually.

Oh sure, I meant more in terms of potential causes for delays, like witcher 3 had. Not things that might arrive in the release build.

Geralt_of_bsas;n10580132 said:
Oh sure, I meant more in terms of potential causes for delays, like witcher 3 had. Not things that might arrive in the release build.
Rule #1 - No competent game developer likes "good enough", they all strive for "better".
Rule #2 - No project ever goes according to schedule.
Rule #3 - When you reach the final stages of a project "Murphy" puts in overtime.

(( For the non-Americans out there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law ))

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10580402 said:
Rule #1 - No competent game developer likes "good enough", they all strive for "better".
Rule #2 - No project ever goes according to schedule.
Rule #3 - When you reach the final stages of a project "Murphy" puts in overtime.

(( For the non-Americans out there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law ))

That said, I'm hoping CDPR has learned enough not to delay the game. By all means, they can wait as long as needed to announce it - I'd rather wait another year or more and have them say "the game is releasing in 6 months" than wait 6 more months only to have them delay it twice more.

Delays are frustrating, particularly because they've become so commonplace. Have publishers/developers really not learned to just wait longer before announcing a release date? Leads me to believe it really is just a marketing move for many companies, so they can look like the good guys (not necessarily CDPR, more companies like Rockstar and EA).

"Hey, guys, we're totally taking more time to make the game, because we want it to be the best experience and stuff. It's not at all because our first release date was BS to begin with. We're not just trying to keep hype alive. We promise! Really!"

Snowflakez;n10584872 said:
"Hey, guys, we're totally taking more time to make the game, because we want it to be the best experience and stuff. It's not at all because our first release date was BS to begin with. We're not just trying to keep hype alive. We promise! Really!"
Here we agree.

The real problem is you need 3-6 months for your marketing campaign and no one is going to want to wait till the game is totally done (and it never is or will be until you physically take it away from the dev team) to start marketing. So you're left estimating how much is left to do and basing a release date on that. Needless to say "exact science" it ain't. Can companies do better? Certainly.

But yes ... I think in some cases it's, if not part of, at least seriously taken advantage of by, the marketing campaign.

I seriously think that CP2077 will release in 2020.. makes perfect sense... I mean when will you ever be able to have another chance at releasing a game using the same year as Cyberpunk 2020 the tabletop game.. also I can see the PS5 being released the same time and CP2077 being its add-on title as the PS5's first next gen title.

Snowflakez;n10490622 said:
This is a singleplayer game, and adding significant multiplayer elements pulls resources from the singleplayer portion of the game.

If you are expecting anything other than minor multiplayer elements, you will likely be disappointed. CDPR has already said this is primarily a single player RPG and that will not change.

There are other games you can play for your multiplayer fix. For those of us that want purely singleplayer experiences that aren't total garbage, our options are extremely limited. I do not understand the logic that a game must have a multiplayer element just because someone wants it. You have so, so many options out there. Please, if you absolutely must have a multiplayer experience, play one of those. Let us enjoy our singleplayer games to the fullest extent, with the maximum amount of resources dedicated to making them phenomenal.

Completely agree brother!

Suhiira;n10580402 said:

Ah yes, Saint Murphy the one thing people don't realize is the actual hidden third certainty of life alongside Death and Taxes. He will always be there watching and waiting.
And as a disciple of Saint Murphy...ow...that didn't go right..what now?!

[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]Cyberpunk 2077, I believe is for the next gen console... PS5 - XBOX X v2.0.
I also believe that current gen console just can't handle the power the game needed to run properly.
Going to be very interesting time for gamers come 2020. ! Glorious ![/FONT]

Last edited:
qOjOp;n10647661 said:
Cyberpunk 2077, I believe is for the next gen console... PS5 - XBOX X v2.0. I also believe that current gen console just can't handle the power the game needed to run properly. Going to be very interesting time for gamers come 2020. ! Glorious !

Agree completely. I remember when Arkham Knight came out in summer 2015 and the PS4 could barely run it - a struggling 25-30fps at 1080p and this game is 3-5 years newer...I don't know how the game would even run on a PS4 / XB1. Another reason I'm a PC gamer, just upgrade my GPUs when new AAA titles come out and roll right into the next game without missing a beat. :D

Last edited:
Razrback16;n10648361 said:
Agree completely. I remember when Arkham Knight came out in summer 2015 and the PS4 could barely run it - a struggling 25-30fps at 1080p and this game is 3-5 years newer...I don't know how the game would even run on a PS4 / XB1. Another reason I'm a PC gamer, just upgrade my GPUs when new AAA titles come out and role right into the next game without missing a beat. :D

I will play 2077 on the PC too...addicted to mods. But I will def play it on PS5 and XBOX X v2. Same thing I did with Witcher 3, played it on PS XBOX and PC. I love CDPR and like to support them to keep on making awesome games. Skyrim is another that I did the same...

I hope they won't rush anything to E3 anyways, will be ok for me to get the game even in 2020, though probably it will be announced this summer and released 2019. I would also like it to be released in 2020 that sounds like a more appropriate time to make a masterpiece but who knows how much time they are spending on it each day..

It's just being only 2 years after the last Witcher 3 DLC (may 2016), that means when they could fully start focus on a Cyberpunk if being real. 2 years for a masterpiece is a pretty decent time limit from 1 side, not as huge as smth like 5 years, in the same time engine doesn't get old, and they focused all on it. It's just that many people don't understand the difference between teaser released and studio being able to fully focus on a product, calculating it like "5 years since teaser video why so long" eh... but 3 years till 2019 is better and i'm still absolutely sure i won't rate the game lower than 9/10, in the worst case scenario (like 10%?) it still will be better than most AAA products, and betting 90% it will be 10+/10.

Last edited:
Well... If Witcher 3 is anything to go by... I'll bet I will be freaking out... MAJOR freaking out playing Cyberpunk 2077. I am sooo willing to wait. Even if it goes beyong 2020, I'll wait... It's gonna be worth the wait!

While not having to set a release date is ideal, in most cases both release dates and delays will be a reality. (Or rush-jobs to hit the release date...which is even worse.) From what I've gathered, once you start involving corporations like Sony, Microsoft, iTunes, etc., you're forced to play by their rules to some extent. As they traffic so many products, hitting the "date" is somewhat necessary or your title can wind up on a burner for a long while.

Top Bottom