CP2077 Marketing Campaign

+
CP2077 Marketing Campaign

Hey guys, for a while we all thought that the Cyberpunk marketing campaign has started. We were wrong. Here is the link

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...-cyberpunk-2077-at-gaming-seminar-2018/52222/

For a second I was dejected by this statement thinking that we will have to wait even longer but I then I knew something was not right. So I researched the Fallout 4 marketing campaign and found that Bethesda didn't start marketing their game until the day they revealed it at E3. So if we see the game at E3 2018 that is the day when they will start the marketing campaign.

I wouldn’t say that’s the most interesting bit of the article. To be honest, it is a bit misleading, Kicinski didn’t say anything about CP being similar to TW in features (I couldn’t find it anyway) however he did say it’s going to be the studios “next Witcher 3”. Not quite sure what it means - that the game will be a leap in quality and scale in comparison to previous games (much like Wild Hunt) or that they are creating CP with similar design principles in mind... Really hope it’s not the latter, it should be a different game, merely because of the setting.
Also open ended gameplay and “true RPG” tickled my fancy a bit.

As I understand it CP2077 is not going to be a single stand-alone game but rather the start of a series of games like W1 => W2 => W3.

Will we have the option to play the same character?
Who knows.

Will our character history and skills transfer from game to game?
Who knows.

Nice to see they feel at ease to talk more about CP2077.
“...a new blockbuster franchise from the beginning.” - from this I understand CDPR doesn't want to stop at CP'77.
The game graphics being supported by the current and next gen tech, I assume this applies to the gaming hardware. If so, this is good news for the owners of the present gen consoles and I hope for not so great pc too. (I have a 760geforce and i5 2900 cpu)
Interesting to see how the science fiction will blend with modern culture.

Curios to know if our RPG vets will be pleased with the game and their opinion.

I wish CD Projekt Red success in making the CP2077's ambitions come to life.

Kiciński claims that Cyberpunk 2077 will “appeal” to players and be a “true RPG” that also appeals to “RPG players.” The game will not be a half or 1/4 RPG, but a true role-playing game much like The Witcher 3 according to Kiciński.

This bit and their definition of an RPG still keeps confusing me.

-- "A true[SUP](tm)[/SUP] RPG, not half or 1/4th RPG", but still (!) "much like Witcher 3" and all the while "..also appealing to RPG gamers"? --

Huh?

What is it that one should be taking out from that?

Last edited:
Well ...
If they're referring to "Blood & Wine" I for one was perfectly happy with the RPG elements.
You had a fairly complex main story and a number of side quests many of which were interesting and "fit" with the culture represented in the expansion.

Suhiira;n10541442 said:
Well ...
If they're referring to "Blood & Wine" I for one was perfectly happy with the RPG elements.

What were they beyond the core game? I haven't touched the W3 DLC's (because reasons), but if I were to, should I expect something actually different from the core or do you just mean it has a couple of more choices in the story or something?

Rawls;n10541502 said:
Suhiira said:
Will our character history and skills transfer from game to game? Who knows.
Please yes.

I'd actually prefer they chose differently this time around... Perhaps something like the stories of different protagonists happening simultaneously and possibly even crossing paths (should the player do the right choices).

At 3:58:26 a crowd member asked a question about Cyberpunk 2077 and the first gameplay video, which Nielubowicz replies “When it’s ready”, but Kiciński says that a gameplay video will appear before “When it’s ready”

Holy shit. We'll totally see something this year my dudes. How can a marketing strategy be based on the element of surprise (as said by CDPR) if they already killed the surprise by talking about it? Perhaps it will be a "surprise" for the majority of the gaming industry, you know, those gamers who have no idea about Cyberpunk 2077's existence.

Suhiira;n10540352 said:
As I understand it CP2077 is not going to be a single stand-alone game but rather the start of a series of games like W1 => W2 => W3.

Yep, Mr. Iwin even said the game that CDPR might work from 10 to 12 years on the Cyberpunk "franchise". It all depends on CP2077 success.

kofeiiniturpa;n10541532 said:
I'd actually prefer they chose differently this time around... Perhaps something like the stories of different protagonists happening simultaneously and possibly even crossing paths (should the player do the right choices).

I would support this idea under the condition that we still could fully focus on only 1 main character, instead of spending only a few minutes with each one...

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n10541672 said:
I would support this idea under the condition that we still could fully focus on only 1 main character, instead of spending only a few minutes with each one...

I understood Su to mean character transference to the sequel, and I meant that one game would have one PC while the next, when ever it might happen, would have it's own with his own story, and their stories might coincide (even according to how the player has played in the previous game) if the right choices are made.

They might save quite a lot of time and money if they crafted their Cyberpunk series to the same initial basegame (Cyberpunk 2077). Not too differently from how Blizzard did with Starcraft 2.

E.g. Cyberpunk 2077 is built to be a "host" game within which the sequels are built as add-on's using the already existing games assets and mechanisms as much as possible (while of course adding their own twists and turns). So if it was to be a trilogy, there'd be one game that'd have three individual full size campaigns with their own protagonists and stories, all happening practically at the same time and possibly even coinciding at times.

Last edited:
Kuboniusz;n10540322 said:
I wouldn’t say that’s the most interesting bit of the article. To be honest, it is a bit misleading, Kicinski didn’t say anything about CP being similar to TW in features (I couldn’t find it anyway) however he did say it’s going to be the studios “next Witcher 3”. Not quite sure what it means - that the game will be a leap in quality and scale in comparison to previous games (much like Wild Hunt) or that they are creating CP with similar design principles in mind... Really hope it’s not the latter, it should be a different game, merely because of the setting.
Also open ended gameplay and “true RPG” tickled my fancy a bit.

Being said by the CEO, "the next Witcher 3" may simply mean they expect the game to achieve a similar level of critical and commercial success as Wild Hunt, or even better. It does not necessarily tell anything about the actual content.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10541672 said:
Yep, Mr. Iwin even said the game that CDPR might work from 10 to 12 years on the Cyberpunk "franchise". It all depends on CP2077 success.

Sounds like another trilogy at least, probably each game with some expansions as well.

Last edited:
sv3672;n10541842 said:
Sounds like another trilogy at least, probably each game with some expansions as well.

But keep in mind that whenever it is mentioned with high levels of doubt. There was even an CDPR employer who posted over /r/cyberpunkgame what the community tthough about either having only one subreddit for all the possible hyphothetical games or if everybody there preferred a subreddit for each game, something like /r/cyberpunk2077, /r/cyberpunk2078 and so on (yep, the comment made by CDPR fella typed /r/cyberpunk2078 as a possibility) (oh and I can't find that comment anymore because it was "deleted")

kofeiiniturpa;n10541722 said:
I understood Su to mean character transference to the sequel, and I meant that one game would have one PC while the next, when ever it might happen, would have it's own with his own story, and their stories might coincide (even according to how the player has played in the previous game) if the right choices are made.

Well, CDPR is talking so much about how they want to be like Rockstar, they might really do the 3 protagonists like GTA V did, I'd be happy as long as we can customize at least one of them.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10542252 said:
Well, CDPR is talking so much about how they want to be like Rockstar, they might really do the 3 protagonists like GTA V did, I'd be happy as long as we can customize at least one of them.

Nah, I don't think they're going quite that far. It doesn't work well unless you're making a highly scripted interactive movie (with some gamplay for commercial breaks) like GTA V, and so far CDPR's boomed for that (admittedly quite vague) tr00[SUP]tm[/SUP] RPG which GTA is a full continent away from being.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10542282 said:
Nah, I don't think they're going quite that far. It doesn't work well unless you're making a highly scripted interactive movie (with some gamplay for commercial breaks) like GTA V

CDPR will totally not do that, just like they didn't allow us to play as Ciri and Geralt on Witcher 3.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10542422 said:
CDPR will totally not do that, just like they didn't allow us to play as Ciri and Geralt on Witcher 3.

Ok. They WILL do it because they did it in Witcher too. I suspected wrong.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10542502 said:
Ok. They WILL do it because they did it in Witcher too. I suspected wrong.

I said CDPR might do it and it's not completelly unplausible as you said. I really hope for CP2077 to only have one protagonist.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10542592 said:
I said CDPR might do it and it's not completelly unplausible as you said.

I said I don't think they will. You can check it up there. If you are unsure about it yourself and even hope otherwise, why ridicule what I said with a "Duh, they totes won't do it like they didn't with that other thing"? There's no argument to be had unless you hope for it whereas I don't.

Anyway, the protagonist is said to be ours to make from the ground up, the story is said to be low key, the story is said to be about "what happens" and not cutscenes and stuff. All contrary to what Witcher 3 did; implying a different, less scripted way of storytelling. I don't find it likely that they'd momentarily switch characters throughout the game when one is supposed to be the players 'own' (and I obviously also hope they won't, even as partially as with Ciri).

But of course they might. They just might. Everything's possible.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n10542422 said:

That is not quite the same, it is not a choice between multiple protagonists, more like flashbacks that tell the story of someone other than the protagonist in actual gameplay, rather than just cutscenes or dialogues. The Witcher 2 also has similar sections, and even Cyberpunk 2077 might have them in certain quests if that is deemed the best way of telling the story. Or they could be implemented as "braindance", where you can experience someone else's memories, temporarily switching to their POV (there is potential for ideas how this could be done in gameplay).

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10541062 said:
This bit and their definition of an RPG still keeps confusing me.

-- "A true[SUP](tm)[/SUP] RPG, not half or 1/4th RPG", but still (!) "much like Witcher 3" and all the while "..also appealing to RPG gamers"? --

Huh?

What is it that one should be taking out from that?

Yeah, this confused the heck out of me too.

I read "A true RPG, not a half or 1/4 RPG" and I got excited. I thought, oh, maybe it'll be more true to the PnP than we thought. Then they said "much like the Witcher 3" and I got confused again. WTF are you on about, CDPR? The Witcher 3 was technically an action RPG, sure, but if you want to throw around terms like "true" RPG, people are going to assume you mean "classic-style" RPG, which it doesn't sound like 2077 will even come close to if it's "like the Witcher 3".

Why not just say "RPG"?

Blech. This article did nothing to improve my hopes for the game. I do not want The Witcher: Cyberpunk. I would like to see far more RPG elements than what we had with TW3.

Also, I have absolutely no clue what Su is talking about as far as Blood and Wine's RPG mechanics go. It didn't add anything substantial the base game didn't have. It had multiple endings and more dialogue choices, but that was it. It did not change the formula in any meaningful way. It added modifiers and basically additional skills (Aard now freezes people, yay), but that was it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom