Cyberpunk 2020 Video Game

+
Cyberpunk 2020 Video Game

Do you reckon that there will/should be a Cyberpunk 2077 spin off set in 2020 Night City if Cyberpunk 2077 is successful. For those complaining about not getting a retro game this could be a good idea. After all CDPR want a franchise out of Cyberpunk.

Mike Pondsmith right now works on new edition called Cyberpunk Red, which supposed to rewrite Cyberpunk 2020 canon by introducing an updated take on it's technology and be in line with Cyberpunk 2077 world. That probably means that retro style in 2020 is going out of the window anyway.

My understanding (and it may not be correct) is one of the reasons CP2077 is set in 2077 is Mike holds the rights to do what he wants with the lore till something like 2059 then there's a "no ownership" period (to give some time for differences between Mikes and CDPRs lore to happen) till 2077 and CDPR takes control of the lore.

I do recall hearing Mike was talking to CDPR and they mentioned they were using some named NPC in CP2077 and Mike informed them that NPC was dead so they replaced him/her. So it sounds like CPDR is trying to keep CP2077 in-line with what Mikes done with 2020 and whatever he's working on now as a new/updated release that I assume will launch when CP2077 does.

Last edited:
I'd imagine you can experience braindances set in 2020, if they opt to let you partake in them.

I don't think it's all that likely, but I'm not opposed to it. I just don't know what additional value it would bring to the table. You'd actually be taking steps back as far as tech and (presumably) mechanics go, which is fine I suppose, but it would be odd to release that after 2077.

Snowflakez;n10602582 said:
I just don't know what additional value it would bring to the table.

Part of it would be nostalgia, another part would wanting to see what some of use grew up with looking at in the core and source books in a digital visual form. With 2077 we're getting all these old favorites but they're going to be different in some form or fashion as seen in the original teaser trailer with the guns the police were using and the gun the Max-Tac agent was using, while the weapons do resemble the original art they are altered to be more "modern" so in a Cyberpunk 2020 video game the weapons would theoretically be closer to the original art with out much alteration.

walkingdarkly;n10602762 said:
Part of it would be nostalgia, another part would wanting to see what some of use grew up with looking at in the core and source books in a digital visual form. With 2077 we're getting all these old favorites but they're going to be different in some form or fashion as seen in the original teaser trailer with the guns the police were using and the gun the Max-Tac agent was using, while the weapons do resemble the original art they are altered to be more "modern" so in a Cyberpunk 2020 video game the weapons would theoretically be closer to the original art with out much alteration.

As long as mechanics and variety aren't removed to represent the steps backward in technology, I'm all for it. Sounds like a fun idea.

Snowflakez;n10602942 said:
As long as mechanics and variety aren't removed to represent the steps backward in technology, I'm all for it. Sounds like a fun idea.

Well considering Cyberpunk 2077 is at the roots of it all basically Cyberpunk 2020 The Video Game with model changes for gear and vehicles and a modded map of Night City, I don't think there would be anything really removed or that anything would be stepped back if they made a 2020 version as they would use the tech and maps in the sources books to build 2020 with the only changes being made, being the ones they are making for 2077 to translate the written world of Night City into a digital world. I think it would be to easy if they had just gone with making a game version of 2020 and they would really have less freedom to explore some of their own stories they could write as in 2020 Mike has a set cast of specific characters with specific personalities and a set lore for that era, so with 2077 CDPR can introduce new characters and new stories.

Though I expect to see signs of Rache Bartmoss somewhere in the net because anyone that knows him, knows that he would have fully uploaded his conscience to the net before he got "shot" with that linear launcher.

walkingdarkly;n10603362 said:
Though I expect to see signs of Rache Bartmoss somewhere in the net because anyone that knows him, knows that he would have fully uploaded his conscience to the net before he got "shot" with that linear launcher.
And as much as I look forward to "meeting" Rache I dread it.

I do think there should be a cRPG adaptation of 2020, but if it was merely about aesthetic choice then I don't see a point. If it was meant as CP2020 spinoff of CP2077 and a "retro" game, it should be a different kind of game altogether. Not just a repaint of 2077. For example... it shouldn't be what Vice City was to GTA 3 (just the same game in a different time and place).

Anyway, about the aesthetic side of things... I'll be a bit disappointed if (or when, as it would seem) the "retro" 80's aesthetic will be gone and replaced with that of our current vision of the future; rather than how the 2020 stuff could have evolved towards ours in 57 years whilst retaining that familiar look. If it happens to go that way.

kofeiiniturpa;n10606942 said:
For example... it shouldn't be what Vice City was to GTA 3 (just the same game in a different time and place).

If CDPR made a 2020 game I think that's what it would be like, though I would say it would be more like Vice City to San Andreas instead.

kofeiiniturpa;n10606942 said:
I'll be a bit disappointed if (or when, as it would seem) the "retro" 80's aesthetic will be gone and replaced with that of our current vision of the future; rather than how the 2020 stuff could have evolved towards ours in 57 years whilst retaining that familiar look. If it happens to go that way.

I'll be there on the disappoint bench as well, as to me even though 2020's style was based on the 80s being dropped into the future, I felt like over the course of the 90s that style became 2020's own personal style, though it could be felt and seen in many certain sci-fi cyberpunk 80s/90s anime series like Akira and Bubblegum Crisis as my two favorite examples.

In CP2077 lore, the year 2020 will be probably more, or less, what we have today. I think the game lore is being rewritten, updated and shifted into future, so it will be dark future, not alternative future from the get go. Especially that teh guy Hammerman, mentioned in the teaser, will be over 100years old in 2077 if 2020 lore is kept.

atomowyturysta;n10645261 said:
In CP2077 lore, the year 2020 will be probably more, or less, what we have today. I think the game lore is being rewritten, updated and shifted into future, so it will be dark future, not alternative future from the get go. Especially that teh guy Hammerman, mentioned in the teaser, will be over 100years old in 2077 if 2020 lore is kept.

Oh they are keeping a lot of the lore apparently. Including nuking Night City in 2020. Dunno about the Hammerman reference - that might have been artists whim - or his grandkid.

Are they shifting things like the Collapse into, say, 2030 rather than 1996 ? Good question. Guess we'll find out.

But lots of the events in 2020 - Firestorm stuff, Rache, the Net getting splatted - apparently they wanted to keep.

Sardukhar;n10648251 said:
Are they shifting things like the Collapse into, say, 2030 rather than 1996 ? Good question. Guess we'll find out.
Why would they do that? Isn't the world of classic Cyberpunk, and now history, shaped and developed from the Collapse and state of affairs after that? Everything up to Firestorm and stuff? Isn't "modern history" of pre-2077 handled by Mike Pondsmith himself?

metalmaniac21;n10648351 said:
Why would they do that? Isn't the world of classic Cyberpunk, and now history, shaped and developed from the Collapse and state of affairs after that? Everything up to Firestorm and stuff? Isn't "modern history" of pre-2077 handled by Mike Pondsmith himself?
That's my understanding.
From what I heard/saw/read someplace (and don't ask me where I don't remember) CDPR plans to use Mr Pondsmiths history as much as possible as background lore in CP2077. Certain things (CyberGeneration for example) won't be used, as to the 4th Corporate War ... no clue ... probably. But the "history" created in CP2077 WILL be used in future releases in the franchise.

metalmaniac21;n10648351 said:

Oh they might want to bring it closer in line to our timeline, make it more relevant to modern players. They mentioned that the plan was to update the setting for modern events and tech - that's why they are setting it in 2077 annd not now, so Full Conversion borgs, widespread cybernetics and world wide corporate control/collapse of the USA seem believable.

Mike is working closely with CDPR - their goals are aligned. Mike is not as hardcore fanatical as many players are about all the little details. In the mid-80s, he was aiming at a believable Dark Future within 40-50 years, that's the setting. Whether the US Collapses in 1996, not all or in 2025 is much less important than if CP2077 nails the "Mean Streets of Tomorrow" feel.

CDPR is aiming at a believable Dark Future within 50-60 years. Same goals.

Although, I should say, CDPR typically has full creative control over any license they work with. It's part of their design strategy and a wise one at that.

Sardukhar;n10648631 said:
Oh they might want to bring it closer in line to our timeline, make it more relevant to modern players. They mentioned that the plan was to update the setting for modern events and tech - that's why they are setting it in 2077 annd not now, so Full Conversion borgs, widespread cybernetics and world wide corporate control/collapse of the USA seem believable.

Mike is working closely with CDPR - their goals are aligned. Mike is not as hardcore fanatical as many players are about all the little details. In the mid-80s, he was aiming at a believable Dark Future within 40-50 years, that's the setting. Whether the US Collapses in 1996, not all or in 2025 is much less important than if CP2077 nails the "Mean Streets of Tomorrow" feel.

CDPR is aiming at a believable Dark Future within 50-60 years. Same goals.

Although, I should say, CDPR typically has full creative control over any license they work with. It's part of their design strategy and a wise one at that.
You're right, it is wise strategy, and how CDPR approached Mike is also should go down in history of communication between people and business as one of things done right.

I just have personal disdain in retcons and find them a bit tasteless and unwise creative decision in general because of how tasteless, in your face and unnecessary retcons were in Fallout series.
Suhiira;n10648531 said:
Certain things (CyberGeneration for example) won't be used, as to the 4th Corporate War ... no clue ... probably. But the "history" created in CP2077 WILL be used in future releases in the franchise.
Given the fact that nuclear explosion at NC corporate zone is gonna be used in CP2077's plot, I find 4th Corporate War to be carried over too. Although this conflict surely needs a rework from more professional writers getting with times. Killing off your customers this outright loses it's edge over time yet remains DUMB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom