CP2077 Nuke Aftermath

+
Lisbeth_Salander;n10661151 said:
Ideas for Cyberpunk 2077:
  • Let's have acid rains that damages clothing/armor and vehicles in areas where the nuke got detonated.
  • In rare occasions there would be very heavy radiation storms that makes everyone closer to these areas take cover behind objects or inside buildings. These storms would not only cause more damage than an average acid rain, but they would also have extremely fast winds that makes players walk slowly or even in rare opportunities be taken away by the storm (this effect would also happen with vehicles). The use of gasmasks could make the vision clearer to the player and reduce the damage taken.
  • If you want realism then players with open wounds under acid/radioactive rains or the heavy storms described early would be either more infected by radiation or would take damage points per second. The fun part is: if you get shot under these rains you would take more damage, but the same applies to your enemies. (The more critical the wound is, more damage you'll take in both acid rain and heavy radiation storm occasions).
  • Another idea is to make some cyberware and other eletronic equipment not work properly or work unpredictably when close to areas affected by the nuke's radiation since that's what actually happens in real life.
  • And to make these areas darker due to the radiation in the atmosphere, and considering that other areas would have day/night cicle then makes radiation infected areas to only have nights.
  • There would be stealth bonuses on both "average acid rain" and "heavy radiation storm" circumstances, where the latter would create higher stealth bonus while being harder to identify enemies at the same time.

Sorry to be such a killjoy, 'Liz, but a small scale nuke WOULD NOT bring about all of the changes you spoke of. ( In another stage of my life, I was a member of the U.S Army Chemical Corps and am a wee bit knowledgeable about the topic...Had to be, it was part of my job.). As for what you MIGHT see in a rebuilt small yield nuke zone: Well, how about an increase in the cases of radiation based diseases (i.e.: leukemia), birth defects and the like, similar to what the Japanese still experience in the affected regions of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Stunted or deformed vegetation growth and the like.. and other fun unpleasantries. As for full fledged radiation storms and the like? Highly unlikely. City Center got rocked, not the whole planet. Even ground burst fallout from such a "miniscule" nuclear device (Can such a word even be used to describe a nuclear device? Hmm...) would have largely dispersed after such a long period of time . Is this to say that there isn't a possibility of mildly radioactive material still falling out of the jet stream on occasion? Absolutely not. Acid rain? We already have it...to a degree. But heavy industrial pollution is more to blame than nukes (Though I don't believe that these could have helped the situation either.). As for EMP and electrical interference? Localized , at best...or if any at all.

RLKing1969;n10671071 said:
Sorry to be such a killjoy, 'Liz, but a small scale nuke WOULD NOT bring about all of the changes you spoke of. ( In another stage of my life, I was a member of the U.S Army Chemical Corps and am a wee bit knowledgeable about the topic...Had to be, it was part of my job.). As for what you MIGHT see in a rebuilt small yield nuke zone: Well, how about an increase in the cases of radiation based diseases (i.e.: leukemia), birth defects and the like, similar to what the Japanese still experience in the affected regions of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Stunted or deformed vegetation growth and the like.. and other fun unpleasantries. As for full fledged radiation storms and the like? Highly unlikely. City Center got rocked, not the whole planet. Even ground burst fallout from such a "miniscule" nuclear device (Can such a word even be used to describe a nuclear device? Hmm...) would have largely dispersed after such a long period of time . Is this to say that there isn't a possibility of mildly radioactive material still falling out of the jet stream on occasion? Absolutely not. Acid rain? We already have it...to a degree. But heavy industrial pollution is more to blame than nukes (Though I don't believe that these could have helped the situation either.). As for EMP and electrical interference? Localized , at best...or if any at all.

Just add another cause to each example I made. Make it a nuclear plant accident in the year 2076, or something else. Done problem solved.

Snowflakez;n10671041 said:
From the images we've seen so far, it already looks like some sort of large mech/suit thing will exist, or at least, they intended for it to exist at some point early in development.
Based on a totally unofficial bit of what may or may not be a concept art submission by someone?
And they claim zealots have a lot of faith ...

I think there are far better things to be concerned about than something as (in my opinion) silly and inconsequential as how heavy a mech is going to be on pavement. Why does it matter? Same thing goes for the player being decked out in metal-plated body armor (not without its weakpoints and not bulletproof, necessarily).
So keeping the game reasonable and "realistic" doesn't matter?
OK.
Fine.
How far should they take it?
Cybergenerations nanobots?
V3s alt-cults
DataKrash?

No, I vote for not opening the barn door.

Sure, it can be heavy, it can slow you down and make maneuvering more difficult, but having the player fall through the floor because of it? Seems a little pointless to me. What actual gameplay purpose would that serve other than to irritate somebody?
What actual gameplay purpose does having or not having any item in any game make?

Again, I'll error on the side of reasonable and "realistic" rather then open the bar door.

Last edited:
but having the player fall through the floor because of it?

Destructible roofs when you have 100 lbs of hard metal foot come slamming down on it after you jump from one apartment to another...also as you reach out to steady yourself, you crush the iron vent pipe like it was tin foil.

And Snowflakez, Please...not the mech..anything but the mech...Cyberpunk already has armored personal suits via the source book Maximum Metal running around, we really don't need Battlemechs running around the streets of Night City as we already have Elements and HardSuits as better choices...though I would go for a Timberwolf and Kodiak...Never forget the Smoke Jaguars! >.>;

Cyberpunk 2020 already has mechs. Walkers, too. Just saying. Nanoware, nanites, super-light tech, etc. Laser guns and energy rifles. Uploading human intelligence. Oh and the DataKrash happens at the end of Firestorm, set off by Rache - talked about in Firestorm.

It's not that the tech doesn't exist, it's that Street level play doesn't typically see flying powered armour suits in gunfights involving energy weapons vs Mech spider-walkers piloted by uploaded human intelligences.

Just not how it goes, on the Street.

Sardukhar;n10671991 said:
Just not how it goes, on the Street.
And that's pretty much it.
As cutting edge top secret military/corporate tech such things may exist, in one form or another (experimental mostly). But on the streets? No, just no.

But let's get back to considering the results of the nuke.

It was so tiny (basically about 4 times as powerful as the Oklahoma City blast), and only one bomb so environmental effects would be virtually nonexistent; it went off in a basement, and while it certainly vaporized (the foundations of at least) Arasaka Tower, buildings on the far size of the Corporate Plaza probably survived ... minus their windows.
Fallout would have been an issue at the time, but now, 50 years later, it's not (contrary to "fairy tales" one nuke in a basement isn't going to render downtown uninhabitable for centuries).

Last edited:
but having the player fall through the floor because of it? Seems a little pointless to me. What actual gameplay purpose would that serve other than to irritate somebody?

It limits the usage with environmental dynamics (rather than a "You can't use this right now :( " ). It's not dissimiliar to wearing a bulky armor suit with an internal exoskeleton only to notice that you can't fit through the doorframe with it and if you want to get to the guys inside, you have to leave it or demolish the whole building from outside; or noticing how you can navigate a motorcycle through a thick forest, but not a car.

Last edited:
Whether the timeline is rewritten or continued or anything in between. As for radiation. What about a clean nuke? CP2020 mixed an awful lot of (now) outdated tech and doctrines with solid, but heavily SF (now) stuff. In theory, a nuklear reaction can be started via laser. This would eliminate fission nuke as a primer to thermonuclear detonation. That would mead no hard radiation, and in consequence, no need for scrubbing the city clean. Just a thought.

OK, seems I've struck a nerve with a few of you. I'm not going to get into an emotional argument about this.

I'm just saying, from a technical, gameplay perspective, it seems like it'd be a hell of a lot more difficult to code destructible floors because mechs than it would be to.. y'know... not do that.

So far, I've seen no evidence showing there won't be mechs in the game. All we've seen is concept art suggesting it could be in. So... Yeah. I'm going to err on the side of "CDPR probably isn't intentionally misrepresenting their game," personally, but to each their own. I'm not saying it's a guarantee. I'm saying, at some point in development, they at least considered it. Out of all the concept art CDPR could publish, I personally doubt they would choose to publish something that is in no way representative of what the final game could be, or again, what they intended the final game to be at the time.

For the record, I don't really care if mechs are in or not. If they are, I won't use 'em for the same reason I don't use power armor in Fallout games. It's OP, slow, loud and boring. So, devil's advocate and all that.

I also don't subscribe to the slippery slope-like notion that compromising realism in one area opens any sort of "barn door" for the rest of the game's realism to be compromised. Seems like a silly concept to me. Nobody is asking for magical shotguns that shoot farting unicorns here, nor am I suggesting super high-tech nanobots can magically repair any and all damage you take instantaneously.

Power armor is something that is actually scientifically achievable, unlike many things in the sci-fi genre (at least, many things in the sci-fi genre that would take hundreds of years to create). Exo-suits already exist. Find a way to make them more lightweight and slap some metal plating on, and it's possible. Difficult? Probably... but not impossible, especially for a universe that is 57 years ahead of a universe that is already significantly further along technologically speaking than we are in real life.

atomowyturysta;n10675621 said:
What about a clean nuke?
"Clean" is relative. It's pretty easy to make a nuke "dirty" by adding material not intended to be part of the fission reaction but scattered by it. But your basic fission reaction, no matter how it's triggered, means atoms smashing other atoms and inevitably some of the results will be radioactive.

Snowflakez;n10676121 said:
I'm just saying, from a technical, gameplay perspective, it seems like it'd be a hell of a lot more difficult to code destructible floors because mechs than it would be to.. y'know... not do that.

Not really I think, on the one hand there's been destructible floors since the 8bit NES era with the most notable best destructible floors being in the Playstation 2 game Red Faction that i can think of off the top of my head. Yeah there is the current day Battlefield games with destructible everything as well, but I'm just saying here destructible floors been around long time. Though I can only recall Castlevania 2 at the moment of typing this out. I don't think it would be all that difficult coding it, I think the real nightmare would be on the graphical resource side like particle effects.

So far, I've seen no evidence showing there won't be mechs in the game. All we've seen is concept art suggesting it could be in. So... Yeah. I'm going to err on the side of "CDPR probably isn't intentionally misrepresenting their game," personally, but to each their own. I'm not saying it's a guarantee. I'm saying, at some point in development, they at least considered it. Out of all the concept art CDPR could publish, I personally doubt they would choose to publish something that is in no way representative of what the final game could be, or again, what they intended the final game to be at the time.

On one hand, I love mechs mainly Battlemechs as in Battletech and Mechwarrior. On the other hand, the closet players came to seeing mechs in Cyberpunk was through Working Assistant Droids via Chrome Book 3. While Mechs like in that piece of art didn't exist back in 2020 as the world of 2020 already had the more efficient Powered Armors and Powered Personal Suits, so having a 50 ft mech stomping around was kind of pointless unless it was on a proper battlefield.

Hardsuits and Knight Sabers 4 Lyfe! >.>;

Heck, I'm a "Battletech" (Harebrained Schemes) backer and occasionally even play "MechWarrior Online" (and definately NOT "brawler" builds). So I love mechs as much as anyone. They just don't "fit" in some games anymore then magic or FTL space travel does.

So far, I've seen no evidence showing there won't be mechs in the game. All we've seen is concept art suggesting it could be in. So... Yeah. I'm going to err on the side of "CDPR probably isn't intentionally misrepresenting their game," personally

So, in one of the interviews or articles, CDPR talked about how the early art - the guy in the jacket, "Swaggy" as we dubbed him, and the mechs - aren't really representative of the game beyond early messing around. They moved on and that early art isn't a focus or a clue at all.

If you look in the teaser trailer, you can see Swaggy dead on the street, murdered by the cyberpsycho. This is not an accident.

Mechs may or may not be in the game, but very little we've seen so far is indicative of anything and they have made it clear early stuff especially means nothing.

About the mechs. Power armora and suits are one of the elements of the genre. Appleseed, GitS, C2020 itself. However, the mechs, as for gargantual bipedal terror machines are too much. I, for myself, really hate the mech design in one of the promo art. The big, ugly, something. The artist got everything wrong in that design. Especially that any mech larger than ACPA would be a fair game in modern combat environment, that is urban, clos quarter battles. Too big and too complicated to survive. And the one from the promo art - too ugly, not cool and everything.
As ACPAs go, they would be cool, but as things employed by the NPC factions. Police, Corps, the Military etc. Player character could have a chance to get inside one of them depending on a situation, but not OWN one. It's like owning a MBT nowadays. Mainstream MBT users don't look too kind on that practice :) And they should be done well, WELL :) Not Fallout style. In Fallout 3 and NV power armor sucked badly, in 4 it just sucks regurally :)

Oh I'm going to regret this. Especially because I think it's a little silly and not at all Street.

But, under the loose heading of "If they DID nuke the whole Core, this thing would have no problem in there afterwards...or anywhere else, really...."

I give you, from Solo of Fortune 2......ze PanzerKraken.

Panzerkraken.JPG

Sardukhar;n10683821 said:

It's so adorable! I want one! SoF2? Hmm, never really thought to look into those two books, now I need to.

Sardukhar;n10683821 said:
Oh I'm going to regret this. Especially because I think it's a little silly and not at all Street.

But, under the loose heading of "If they DID nuke the whole Core, this thing would have no problem in there afterwards...or anywhere else, really...."

That was one, rad machine. German Death Machine :) But it's stats were far inferior to even a light tank of the US Military (which, having a LT supplement MBT, was quite a stupid idea... But I think Mike played too much Red Alert those days... :) )

Top Bottom