CP2077 Pen n Paper

+
CP2077 Pen n Paper

I started running Punk in the late 80's and still do it today (2nd edition now), and ready to start a new campaign.
The question is...... does anyone else still do cp2020 pen and paper? And I have found out that there may be a new rule set coming up to complement the game..... would you change to the new rules ?

I run CP2020 on somewhat modified core rules with updated timeline. It's set in 2050s. There's no eurobucks but eurojuans, China is the world hegemon instead of the EEC, the EEC itself is turned Fortress Europa after refugee crisis debacle and is on knifes with China, US after civil war in late 20s is rebuilding as an isolationist anarcho capitalist state violently guarding her sovereingty, Corporations are as they were. Greedy and powerful but more sane and logical. They won't start throwing nukes at eachother or anything. That's hurting bussiness and poking better armed governments in the eye. There's still going to be 4th Corp War but by the means of proxy wars between terrorist groups, organized crime and rogue states.
As for rules changes I made them less lethal. yes. LESS LETHAL. And reworked guns so heavy assault rifle (there is NO such thing as heavy assault rifle - if it's heavy, it's trash) is not the answer to all the problems. Plus cyber refresh and motherfucking smartphones! :)

Not currently running Cyberpunk but as with any PnP RPG you need to decide up front how "real" vs how "fantasy" your game is going to be. Obviously going the "fantasy" route gives you a LOT of freedom because there's no real need to justify anything. But it also means your players can't really count on or predict anything, and some enjoy that. If you only plan to run your game for a few sessions this isn't really a problem. But if you have visions of a long-term campaign your players need a solid foundation in terms of the game world and it's "rules" to work from.

Suhiira;n10676251 said:
Obviously going the "fantasy" route gives you a LOT of freedom because there's no real need to justify anything

Ugh..nightmares..last game I was in, the GM allowed one player to full borg his character into looking like a transformer, another guy was allowed to turn his character into a Vulture or Madcat from Battletech, another guy was allowed a full borg with psychic powers and the list kept going, on the last day I played I was one of two out of 8 that had someone still basically human. Only crazy thing I had done with my character was contract the only other non-borged guy in the group that was the group techie to build me a custom car and put an Ai in it. Yes, I had a KiTT but with a female Ai that had a fold-able rail-gun in the backseat and the base car body was a MacLaren/Jaguar XJ220C-P Police Interceptor from Chrome Book 4.

I do like my science fantasy sprinkled in Cyberpunk but after that group I also prefer a nice helping of heavy realty.

Yep, we've all seen things get out of hand when a game is too free-form. Fun as it is for a session or two it always creates problems if you plan an ongoing campaign.

Once Upon a Time ...
A new player to the group of regulars I generally do PnP with decided to try his hand at GMing a less "restrictive" version of the game I was running. Shortly after dealing with the 25mm "Anti-Borg" rifle I'd developed (based on the Finnish Lahti L-39 but firing APFSDS ammo from the M242 Bushmaster) and a 40mm Auto-GL another player had built into his cyberarm (the ammo was an external feed, so he carried a backpack full of ammo belts) he decided maybe some of those "restrictions" had a point after all. I think what decided him was a third player who was an adult Alchemist/Wizard from CyberGeneration (basically a super Netrunner with the ability to create/manipulate anything they desired at the molecular level), something about turning armor plated high security doors in to dust with a mere touch, creating more ammo for the rest of us by reconstructing the ammo we recovered from the battlefield, and repair our cybernetics when they were damaged.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10676791 said:
Yep, we've all seen things get out of hand when a game is too free-form. Fun as it is for a session or two it always creates problems if you plan an ongoing campaign.

Once Upon a Time ...
A new player to the group of regulars I generally do PnP with decided to try his hand at GMing a less "restrictive" version of the game I was running. Shortly after dealing with the 25mm "Anti-Borg" rifle I'd developed (based on the Finnish Lahti L-39 but firing APFSDS ammo from the M242 Bushmaster) and a 40mm Auto-GL another player had built into his cyberarm (the ammo was an external feed, so he carried a backpack full of ammo belts) he decided maybe some of those "restrictions" had a point after all. I think what decided him was a third player who was an adult Alchemist/Wizard from CyberGeneration (basically a super Netrunner with the ability to create/manipulate anything they desired at the molecular level), something about turning armor plated high security doors in to dust with a mere touch, creating more ammo for the rest of us by reconstructing the ammo we recovered from the battlefield, and repair our cybernetics when they were damaged.

All of this is easily handled.

Power level of players may interfere with their fun, but no Ref has any issue with squashing them or providing a challenge.

"Hey, meet the self-replicating nanoswarm. That's intelligent. And now possesses you."

"Hey, meet a squad of people a lot like you guys, only twice as fast. And twice as many."

Big guns and doors to dust isn't anything. It shouldn't interfere with an ongoing campaign. Low power levels being necessary to keep a campaign interesting just indicates about the Ref less experience or less interest in the players' preferred level of play.

You can run long term games of Mage, Nobilis, Scion, you name it. Power isn't the problem, nor is free form.

More practice for your friend then try again.

It sounds like the new rules are Fuzion, so no, I'll keep the old ones.

I was just thinking of running the America campaign.

Also, should move this to the PnP section, but am afraid of moving stuff right now.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n10676941 said:
All of this is easily handled.
That it is.
But if you're new to GMing it might not be so easy.
We old farts do have some advantages ... Been there, done that.

Suhiira;n10677141 said:
That it is.
But if you're new to GMing it might not be so easy.
We old farts do have some advantages ... Been there, done that.

Yep.

Especially if you were thinking, "Oooh! Boostergangs are so cool! That'll be fun for my players!"

And then they show up with 40mm AutoGL arms. Heh. Heh heh heh. Bye bye plans!

atomowyturysta;n10675831 said:
I run CP2020 on somewhat modified core rules with updated timeline. It's set in 2050s. There's no eurobucks but eurojuans, China is the world hegemon instead of the EEC, the EEC itself is turned Fortress Europa after refugee crisis debacle and is on knifes with China, US after civil war in late 20s is rebuilding as an isolationist anarcho capitalist state violently guarding her sovereingty, Corporations are as they were. Greedy and powerful but more sane and logical. They won't start throwing nukes at eachother or anything. That's hurting bussiness and poking better armed governments in the eye. There's still going to be 4th Corp War but by the means of proxy wars between terrorist groups, organized crime and rogue states.
As for rules changes I made them less lethal. yes. LESS LETHAL. And reworked guns so heavy assault rifle (there is NO such thing as heavy assault rifle - if it's heavy, it's trash) is not the answer to all the problems. Plus cyber refresh and motherfucking smartphones! :)

Sounds like an amazing world, well done :). Gives me ideas too.

I do think Suhiira got it right. solid foundations. rules not so much, i feel if its consistent people accept it. The most important is the game world and for a GM to guide people through it consistently and as atomowyturysta has done a bespoke vision. i think the GM vision can make a game fantastic and integral?!

HellBoy_2077;n10861831 said:
Sounds like an amazing world, well done :). Gives me ideas too.

I plan to put all together in one "book" as a setting. However, the mechanics will be based on the DD5ed, as my RPG group cannot even into anything else. But it will be heavily modified. Something like Star Wars d20 Revised mecha against a classic d20. When done it will be on DM guild.

atomowyturysta;n10865701 said:
I plan to put all together in one "book" as a setting. However, the mechanics will be based on the DD5ed, as my RPG group cannot even into anything else. But it will be heavily modified. Something like Star Wars d20 Revised mecha against a classic d20. When done it will be on DM guild.

Awesome. Be sure to share it with us when it's done.

HellBoy_2077;n10659261 said:
I started running Punk in the late 80's and still do it today (2nd edition now), and ready to start a new campaign.
The question is...... does anyone else still do cp2020 pen and paper? And I have found out that there may be a new rule set coming up to complement the game..... would you change to the new rules ?

Am presently running a bit of a "homebrew" campaign taking place in Port-Salem in the parliamentary state of Oregon. I'm running an "up and coming" rockerboy called "Johnny Krash". There's Russian mobsters, former junkie bass players, benefit gigs for the homeless and all the while, playing out of a dive strip bar...Hey, even The Doors had to start SOMEWHERE!

Last edited:
RLKing1969;n10869181 said:
Am presently running a bit of a "homebrew" campaign raking place in Port-Salem in the parliamentary state of Oregon. I'm running an "up and coming" rockerboy called "Johnny Krash". There's Russian mobsters, former junkie bass players, benefit gigs for the homeless and all the while, playing out of a dive strip bar...Hey, even The Doors had to start SOMEWHERE!
As for Changing the system? Just update the stuff to reflect the technological changes from now to then. The combat system and the like are just fine just the way they are.

RLKing1969;n10869191 said:
As for Changing the system? Just update the stuff to reflect the technological changes from now to then. The combat system and the like are just fine just the way they are.

I might make hand to hand a BIT less lethal ( see Interlock unlimited)....other than that, yeah.

Top Bottom