Please dont add a Battle Royale

+
Please dont add a Battle Royale

In the financial results conference during the audience questions one person asked if "Cyberpunk 2077 will consider a battle royale mode with how popular the mode has become in video games"
Adam Kiciński then said "Well actually we are considering everything and anything"
I hope they dont think that all of us want a battle just because this guy said we do.
I think Cyberpunk 2077 would be better with its own Unique multiplayer.
Battle Royale is just a phase that will die off. People are already getting sick of it.

There's a sizable, and VERY vocal group of players addicted to PvP games.
While they constantly claim otherwise they represent a small minority of gamers (look at sales and # of people playing FIFA and various mobile games).
Do what most of us do ... ignore them (when possible).

Suhiira;n10705991 said:
There's a sizable, and VERY vocal group of players addicted to PvP games.
While they constantly claim otherwise they represent a small minority of gamers (look at sales and # of people playing FIFA and various mobile games).
Do what most of us do ... ignore them (when possible).

Ahh.they don't represent a small minority. That'd be a sweeping generalization based on..what data? You can flavour by saying "addicted" but that, too, lacks basis from data. You -could- accurately say they are very vocal, and they are. Because there are lots and lots of them.

People playing non-PvP games also frequently enjoy PvP games.

Instead, look at the sales for CoD, Battlefield, WoW, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Dark Souls...realise that the PvP element is extremely profitable and popular to millions.

Millions that buy for the same platforms that CDPR sells on.

Sardukhar;n10706051 said:
Ahh.they don't represent a small minority.
I guess American English differs from Canadian ... I said "There's a sizable", which certainly doesn't imply "small minority" at the beginning. And later I was referring to the sales figures and number of players of two examples, FIFA and mobile games, both of which dramatically outsell and have larger player bases then PvP games.

"As for FIFA 16, there were 16.15 millions of copies sold for all platforms. We have to include the pirated ones, which can at least triple the number. In my opinion, there are about 50 million players playing FIFA currently."

Mobile game players ... around 180 million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/234635/number-of-mobile-gamers-forecast/

Suhiira;n10706391 said:
I guess American English differs from Canadian ... I said "There's a sizable", which certainly doesn't imply "small minority" at the beginning. And later I was referring to the sales figures and number of players of two examples, FIFA and mobile games, both of which dramatically outsell and have larger player bases then PvP games.

"As for FIFA 16, there were 16.15 millions of copies sold for all platforms. We have to include the pirated ones, which can at least triple the number. In my opinion, there are about 50 million players playing FIFA currently."

Mobile game players ... around 180 million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...mers-forecast/

You literally referred to PvP-focussed players as a "small minority of gamers". CoD MW3 sold 30 million copies, for example. Overwatch has 35 million players. Assorted MMOs have dozens of millions by the time you toss them all in. Starcraft and assorted RTS, same story. Not the same kind of players. I like CoD - Overwatch meh.

67 million people play League of Legends every month. 27 million play it every day. Again, not all the same people. CoD, WoW and LoL are different games.

Hearthstone:Heroes of Warcraft has 70 million registered players trying to mash each other in their card based battle game.

And nearly all the games my boys play on mobile -are- PvP of one kind of another. Mostly strategy. Also a lot of PvP card games on mobile.

So...yeah. PvP games and gamers are not only not a small minority, of the platform CDPR sells on, they might well be a majority of playing-steadily players.

Outside the crazies of Civs, of course. Oh, wait, that's multiplayer PvP too.

Last edited:
I dont see why it should be problem if they implement battle royale multiplayer mode. They said that focus is singleplayer story driven rpg game, thats enough for me, and I dont see how it is a bad thing if they add battle royale mode (among any others like deathmach, domination or something else) and something new and unique

Aedan2;n10706881 said:
I dont see why it should be problem if they implement battle royale multiplayer mode. They said that focus is singleplayer story driven rpg game, thats enough for me, and I dont see how it is a bad thing if they add battle royale mode (among any others like deathmach, domination or something else) and something new and unique
But that's exactly the problem.
The various roles/classes in CP are not even remotely balanced for combat, the only (really) viable role would be Solo.
How much "fun" is a Battle Royal vs 10 identical cookie cutter characters?

I'm not saying I dont want multiplayer I thnk its nice to have the option of people playing together, I just dont want it to become like Watch Dogs 2 where people can interrupt my gameplay and try and murder me.I would like it seperate from the main game possibly a free DLC download or something. Having said all of that I would actually prefer a co-op system rather than anything else.

I mean in the same call they where focusing on PvE for 2077 so i don't think there is a possibility that this is actually something they are seriously considering for CP 2077.

Jimbo_G;n10707321 said:
... I would actually prefer a co-op system rather than anything else.

Same here, I would love to play though the campaign with my friend. Open a beer, join a private voice channel in Discord and enjoy the ride, chat and laugh, talk about the game etc.

If a Battle Royale mode doesnt replace other more fitting ideas for MP and can bring them some good money then sure.

Geralt_of_bsas;n10710351 said:
If a Battle Royale mode doesnt replace other more fitting ideas for MP and can bring them some good money then sure.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Battle Royale would undoubtedly bring them an absolutely ridiculous, stupid, insane amount of money if implemented. Just look at how quickly Fortnite overtook PUBG, and how well PUBG did to begin with.

However, I do agree that, if it exists, it should only exist because it was the absolute best fit for the Cyberpunk universe (which seems very unlikely to me). I'm not interested in CDPR doing something strictly to wring money out of us, and because it's the next "big thing." Something deeper and more engaging would be preferable, though I'd obviously like there to be no MP at all.

Fortunately, it does sound like the game is a single player RPG first and foremost, so I probably have nothing to worry about. They've said it so many times now.

Snowflakez;n10710421 said:
I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Battle Royale would undoubtedly bring them an absolutely ridiculous, stupid, insane amount of money if implemented. Just look at how quickly Fortnite overtook PUBG, and how well PUBG did to begin with.

However, I do agree that, if it exists, it should only exist because it was the absolute best fit for the Cyberpunk universe (which seems very unlikely to me). I'm not interested in CDPR doing something strictly to wring money out of us, and because it's the next "big thing." Something deeper and more engaging would be preferable, though I'd obviously like there to be no MP at all.

Fortunately, it does sound like the game is a single player RPG first and foremost, so I probably have nothing to worry about. They've said it so many times now.

Right, I understand, but I think if the amount of money is as you said "insane" (which I dont agree with much), knowing how CDPR have handled things so far it will be worth it, since they'll use that cash to double down on what they and we actually care about.

But yes, if it seems like it ridicules, ruins, or takes away chance of something of better quality in any way, it should be dropped.

Na, I highly doubt they will add this mode. For once, the mode will probably be pretty much dead by the time CP2077 comes out (which I guess will be somewhere around 2020). Also, CDPR has demonstrated again and again that they care a lot more about making a good game than milking consumer's money, they are pro-consumer and anti-publisher, this is not something I expect them to do by any means, I would doubt that they will even add MP to the game (although some coop could be nice). Don't be afraid, I'm pretty sure this is not gonna happen, I have faith in CDPR.

Pretty sure that just because something is fashionable, doesn't mean it's not fun.

I doubt BR will be dead by 2020 - in fact, no one has suggested a convincing or even vaguely coherent reason for that.

I have no idea if CDPR will put such a game mode in and although a one-survivor-only mode is very Cyberpunk, that doesn't mean it would have much of a place in a big RPG.

If it did, well, it'll be either good or not and we can either play it or not. Not like it'll be mandatory...

Sardukhar;n10717821 said:
Pretty sure that just because something is fashionable, doesn't mean it's not fun.

I doubt BR will be dead by 2020 - in fact, no one has suggested a convincing or even vaguely coherent reason for that.

I have no idea if CDPR will put such a game mode in and although a one-survivor-only mode is very Cyberpunk, that doesn't mean it would have much of a place in a big RPG.

If it did, well, it'll be either good or not and we can either play it or not. Not like it'll be mandatory...

I think the more important question is, is such a mode pulling resources from a better, more fitting alternatve for multiplayer (And singleplayer, for that matter)? Because then it actually does matter. If we could have had something unique and fun instead of something that's just "popular" and fun, I'd gladly take the former.

CDPR doesn't really seem like the type of company to just do what is popular, though, so I don't think there's much to worry about either way.

Thomas Jefferson once said "I have sworn upon the altar of God the eternal hostility against every form of multiplayer in games. Accept, maybe, in optional, content free, DLC" :)

Snowflakez;n10721661 said:
I think the more important question is, is such a mode pulling resources from a better, more fitting alternatve for multiplayer (And singleplayer, for that matter)? Because then it actually does matter. If we could have had something unique and fun instead of something that's just "popular" and fun, I'd gladly take the former.

CDPR doesn't really seem like the type of company to just do what is popular, though, so I don't think there's much to worry about either way.
I can certainly see the appeal of a cooperative multi-player mode.
I'm just not sure I see much point in competitive, as I said elsewhere the CP2020 roles/classes aren't designed even remotely "balanced" so why would anyone even want to?

Top Bottom