The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
I wish the game will have a lore section that will teach about the Cyberpunk universe, and you can fill it by going to places, find information.
Of course info about the year '77 should get filled in too, as you play.

Raxaphan;n10876031 said:
I wish the game will have a lore section that will teach about the Cyberpunk universe, and you can fill it by going to places, find information.
Of course info about the year '77 should get filled in too, as you play.

Yes, this would be very nice. Maybe something similar to TW3's Bestiary and Characters sections?

You should put this idea in the Dream RPG thread.

It will probably be in the game, I do not see a particular reason to remove this feature if it already exists in The Witcher 3. After the patches, it even stores all the books and other readables. One thing I would like to see improved though is the organization and sorting of items in the inventory and journal, for example, TW3 lists quests in a "random" order so it is difficult to find the narration on a completed quest once the list grows very long. Similarly, simple things like a most recent items category could be helpful, it is inconvenient when one picks up something without paying attention to the item name, and then it is lost among hundreds of other items that the player's character already carried (I think TW3 does already highlight new items).

sv3672;n10877721 said:
TW3 lists quests in a "random" order so it is difficult to find the narration on a completed quest once the list grows very long. Similarly, simple things like a most recent items category could be helpful, it is inconvenient when one picks up something without paying attention to the item name, and then it is lost among hundreds of other items that the player's character already carried (I think TW3 does already highlight new items).

Oh man, I totally forgot about this. I couldn't agree more. Especially quests - it was INFURIATING at times, particularly because CDPR had such excellent quest event narration (Or, I suppose, Dandelion did). After scrolling for 5 minutes and apparently missing a quest, I'd just give up.

sv3672;n10877721 said:
One thing I would like to see improved though is the organization and sorting of items in the inventory and journal, for example, TW3 lists quests in a "random" order so it is difficult to find the narration on a completed quest once the list grows very long.
Agreed. Although you can always go along a record your journal entries in the order you experience them. If you have an extra 20 hours to spend writing it all down. But who would do such a thing? :)

Snowflakez;n10878461 said:
Oh man, I totally forgot about this. I couldn't agree more. Especially quests - it was INFURIATING at times, particularly because CDPR had such excellent quest event narration (Or, I suppose, Dandelion did). After scrolling for 5 minutes and apparently missing a quest, I'd just give up.

Actually, I hope the inventory will be limited as fuck. A few ready slots for weapons, a few ready slots for quick items, ammo ets, a few slots for "stuff". All depending on clothes the character wear. I will be really disappointed if the charcter is able to carry 3 rifles, 2 smgs, 5 pistols, heavy revolver, 11 grenades, 3 spare flak jacket, 2 sets of military grade body armor, a sniper rifle, a grenade launcher, 7 mortar shells (just in case), dead bosy of a companion (quest item) and antimaterial rifle. But that's me. The ideal inventory system was in somewhat crappy Jagged Alliance(ish) games "7.62mm" and it's prequel.

atomowyturysta;n10881801 said:
Actually, I hope the inventory will be limited as fuck. A few ready slots for weapons, a few ready slots for quick items, ammo ets, a few slots for "stuff". All depending on clothes the character wear. I will be really disappointed if the charcter is able to carry 3 rifles, 2 smgs, 5 pistols, heavy revolver, 11 grenades, 3 spare flak jacket, 2 sets of military grade body armor, a sniper rifle, a grenade launcher, 7 mortar shells (just in case), dead bosy of a companion (quest item) and antimaterial rifle. But that's me. The ideal inventory system was in somewhat crappy Jagged Alliance(ish) games "7.62mm" and it's prequel.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I was referring to the quest journal. In TW3, you were able to go back and look at completed quests to see their "Stories" finished out. Since Dandelion narrates everything in the game, he would often add his own little conclusions to each quest, as if he was telling a story. They were fun to read but impossible to find due to the way the quests were organized.

I agree that inventory SPACE should be limited, but organization shouldn't be bad for the sake of being bad.

Actually, I hope the inventory will be limited...

Me too. Far too much clutter in most RPGs nowadays. Basically, if there's not a gameplay / quest reason for carrying something around...why even allow the player to pick it up? I won't even get started on being able to carry around 20-30 heavy, steel weapons. (Well...this situation seems beyond my pistol, assault rifle, shotgun, 50 cal. machine gun, or tri-pod stabilized sniper rifle... [Reaches into back pocket. Pulls out shoulder-mounted RPG and 263 rockets. "Summons" jeep.])

Snowflakez;n10882191 said:
Since Dandelion narrates everything in the game, he would often add his own little conclusions to each quest, as if he was telling a story. They were fun to read but impossible to find due to the way the quests were organized.

I think a cool way to "review" quests would be to have the game playback snapshots of everything you've done up to that point. A rapid montage of key scenes that highlight your choices thus far, in the order you played them. Sort of like your character racing through past events in their mind. There wouldn't be a "journal", per say...just an ever-growing video highlighting what you've done and how you got that point.

SigilFey;n10882301 said:
I think a cool way to "review" quests would be to have the game playback snapshots of everything you've done up to that point. A rapid montage of key scenes that highlight your choices thus far, in the order you played them. Sort of like your character racing through past events in their mind. There wouldn't be a "journal", per say...just an ever-growing video highlighting what you've done and how you got that point.

The problem with a system like that, as cool as it sounds, is that you can't experience it at your own pace or visit key sequences as you please. Plus, Dandelion was super charismatic and often injected his goofy opinion into the quest recaps, I'd hate to lose that sort of editorial nonsense.

Beyond that, there's literally hundreds of side quests, or at least over a hundred, in CDPR's RPGs (At least with TW3) - every single quest, big or small, was given a personal touch by Master Dandelion. Even the "generic" monster hunting quests, if I'm remembering correctly.

I wouldn't say CDPR couldn't manage to have a truly comprehensive snapshot of every single quest, but it would take ages and might not be worth the payoff.

Just my 2 cents. I like the idea in theory - maybe have that as an optional feature in the "Extras" menu or something.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10882611 said:
I wouldn't say CDPR couldn't manage to have a truly comprehensive snapshot of every single quest, but it would take ages and might not be worth the payoff.
As somebody whose gone through and rewritten portions of almost all the major quests in TW3 (see the Master Dandelion link in my signature for details), the quest log does leave a considerable amount to be desired. I.E. "Lilac and Gooseberries" doesn't even mention the encounter with Gaunter O'Dimm, which is momentously important to the quest. It would be possible to do with considerable effort, but your correct in that it's not likely worth the manpower and time to make it work.

I do like the idea of the video montage that gets longer as you progress through the game ... though it might get tedious after 100+ hour play-through, because the montage would either be annoyingly long, or annoyingly incomplete.

Hmmm...maybe it needs to be a "crystal ball". By sliding the mouse around, I either advance or reverse time as quickly or slowly as I want. Leaving the mouse still pauses time. When I find the "image" in the magical orb that represents the "memory" I want to review, I click and it plays out the entire cutscene / conversation.

The ideal inventory system was in somewhat crappy Jagged Alliance(ish) games "7.62mm" and it's prequel.
I happen to like "7.62mm" and it's a permanent fixture on my PC.
I generally play a mission or two every week.

SigilFey;n10882301 said:
Me too. Far too much clutter in most RPGs nowadays. Basically, if there's not a gameplay / quest reason for carrying something around...why even allow the player to pick it up? I won't even get started on being able to carry around 20-30 heavy, steel weapons. (Well...this situation seems beyond my pistol, assault rifle, shotgun, 50 cal. machine gun, or tri-pod stabilized sniper rifle... [Reaches into back pocket. Pulls out shoulder-mounted RPG and 263 rockets. "Summons" jeep.])
I'd LOVE to see a separate "crafting materials" tab in the inventory.
That way:
A) You know what items are crafting materials instead of needing to guess.
B) You can just unload everything in that tab at your base of operations since that's where you'll be using it.
C) It doesn't clutter and mix with stuff you can just sell or want to carry as part of your loadout.

Rawls;n10882801 said:
As somebody whose gone through and rewritten portions of almost all the major quests in TW3 (see the Master Dandelion link in my signature for details), the quest log does leave a considerable amount to be desired.
Definitely need to move finished quests to their own tab and not have them clutter the "Currently Active" quests list.
Just that alone would work wonders.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10884621 said:
Definitely need to move finished quests to their own tab and not have them clutter the "Currently Active" quests list.
Just that alone would work wonders.

That, and organization by most recently completed. Otherwise, we have the same problem, just shifted to another tab - completed quests in TW3 were already under their own separate header in the quest journal. They could stay there, they just need better organization. I really don't get why CDPR didn't just go with a "date completed" default organization system. So strange.

Snowflakez;n10886171 said:
That, and organization by most recently completed. Otherwise, we have the same problem, just shifted to another tab - completed quests in TW3 were already under their own separate header in the quest journal. They could stay there, they just need better organization. I really don't get why CDPR didn't just go with a "date completed" default organization system. So strange.

Actually, they are not organized at all from what I remember, they are probably just listed in whatever the order is (seemingly random) in memory. Perhaps it was just not considered important enough to fix, or it is some technical limitation of the UI (I think it was implemented using Flash) that would have made it too difficult to change?

sv3672;n10886251 said:
Actually, they are not organized at all from what I remember, they are probably just listed in whatever the order is (seemingly random) in memory. Perhaps it was just not considered important enough to fix, or it is some technical limitation of the UI (I think it was implemented using Flash) that would have made it too difficult to change?

Right, that's what I was saying. They weren't organized, and I'd prefer they were. It was infuriating.

You could be right about the technical limitations of the UI. I'm sure they've probably worked those out this time around (hopefully?).

Snowflakez;n10886481 said:
They weren't organized, and I'd prefer they were. It was infuriating.
Yeah some format would have been nice, be it alphabetical, level requirement, or whatever. Personally I think chronological would be less than ideal because 50 hours later you may not remember exactly when you first met character X or completed quest Z. Chronological is cool for reading the story back to yourself, but not especially helpful if your just looking for a tidbit about a quest you completed in Act I.

Rawls;n10886511 said:
Yeah some format would have been nice, be it alphabetical, level requirement, or whatever. Personally I think chronological would be less than ideal because 50 hours later you may not remember exactly when you first met character X or completed quest Z. Chronological is cool for reading the story back to yourself, but not especially helpful if your just looking for a tidbit about a quest you completed in Act I.

I'm all for options. Shouldn't be too difficult. Alphabetical and chronological would probably be the two I would select.

This type of sorting already exists in the inventory, if I remember correctly - granted, it was added in post-launch.

Top Bottom