The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Garrison72;n10953458 said:
Imagine how much we'll be arguing once we have have tangible info on the game.

Probably less. Some people will inevitably voice their frustrations with the way the game has actually been designed, but at least by that point we all know deep down there's very little -- if anything -- we can do to change the situation, for better or worse. Eventually, I think some of us will either come to terms with the mechanics we hate, or vehemently disagree with them and find another game. There's very little that would actually be a dealbreaker for me.

We already know that no matter how CP2077 works the first-person action game crowd isn't going to be satisfied.
Someone, anyone, name me one, single, solitary, such game where everyone is satisfied with the mechanics?

Health regenerates too slow !
I can't carry 20 weapons at the same time and unlimited ammunition !
Snipers are overpowered !
Snipers are underpowered !
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Last edited:
"Best fps action" looolllll
This game sucks... The shoting mechanicks are sooo bad they not reward my irl aim and maim esport pro skills. 3/10 by being generous. not recomend.

Raxaphan;n10953620 said:
"Best fps action" looolllll
This game sucks... The shoting mechanicks are sooo bad they not reward my irl aim and maim esport pro skills. 3/10 by being generous. not recomend.

You know that'll be an actual Steam Review for Cpunk one day. Yikes.

Sardukhar;n10953707 said:
I am sure. And I bet it will have a few players that will find the review helpful.

Riven-Twain;n10949963 said:
I don't drink coffee either -- leaves more for EmperorZorn .

Brandy for me.

Well, I'm kind of ambidextrous - so I could drink both at the same time !
I've distributed all my skill points into dual wielding caffeinated drinks though, so I'll have to see how it works with a Brandy in the off-hand.

EmperorZorn;n10954817 said:
I've distributed all my skill points into dual wielding caffeinated drinks though, so I'll have to see how it works with a Brandy in the off-hand.
Offhand, I'd say there's potential. When you've the chance, though, add a point to Connoisseur.

Sardukhar;n10953707 said:

Don't be ridiculous, CP2077 won't be on Steam. It'll be a GoG exclusive, noone else -- ESPECIALLY NOT THE FILTHY CONSOLE PEASANTS -- will be getting it. That's just how much CDPR loves those of us in the glorious PC master race.

EmperorZorn;n10954817 said:

You don't want to nerf the brandy skill like that, man. Besides dual-wielding caffeine only stacks until you hit your stress limit. I find it's better to 1H caffeine / brandy / red wine with a sandwich in my off-hand. I'll also 2H a dark ale once in a while, just to mix things up.

@all

On the topic of the Greatest RPG Ever Made...

I'm interested to see what the results are, but I believe if they did the survey again immediately after -- everything would come out completely differently. People are just too different (and changeable!) That's why I never bother too much with trying to "work in feedback". I listen to any feedback I receive, but I'm specifically listening to for things that make me go, "HmmmMMM!"

First and foremost, there needs to be a cohesive vision for the production, and it's the directorial team that has to fully understand that vision. If the show loses a sense of itself, it becomes a mess. There needs to be a clear understanding of the vision in the hands of artists. I've often found the biggest impediment to this is a producer who is looking for ways to "cash in". Not too big of an issue with live theatre (or small films), but it does come up.

Secondly, the show needs to grow. The unifying "vision" is a heading, not a rail-line to a specific, pre-determined destination. Not all parts of the original vision will survive into the final production. Even with unlimited resources, killing your darlings is a necessary step in any creative venture. If I'm digging for silver and I discover an diamond, I'd be foolish to just throw it aside. It's, once again, up to the artists to recognize opportunities and seize them.

Third is simply: human nature and reality. No one will like everything. And no one thing will appeal to everyone. The only absolute is that world doesn't work in absolutes. (EVER. [...:p]) So, "feedback" is a really important part of the process! Especially because one of the hardest things to do is look at a production I've worked with closely for a long while...and intentionally see it as if for the very first time. Getting outside input is always valuable, as long as it doesn't cause me to second-guess the vision. There's a huge difference between someone pointing out an obvious flaw that I completely missed...and someone simply throwing doubts at my head.

Lastly, and this is a huge debate among artists, but I believe strongly in "the author is dead". (Meaning: the minute I release something -- the curtain goes up on opening night, the painting is revealed, the writing is published, etc. -- I cease to exist.) Now, the world can and will begin imprinting their own subjective meanings onto the production. Positive feedback can be just as frustrating and confusing as negative feedback. I've often listened to someone make a brilliant interpretation or draw a meaningful parallel that was never even considered, let alone intended. So, it's always a mix of good, bad, and "what the fff...!?" But, if people are talking about it, it reached them.

Only thing that actually matters is whether the production fulfilled its vision. If so, there will always be someone willing to pay for a seat. And it will go over really well with the vast majority of the intended audience.

So, while fun to discuss, I doubt we'll ever see:

Dark Scrolls VII: Mass Witcher's Gate, a fantasy adventure set in the distant future! Explore an open world with a linear, branching story and use magic to overcome technological horrors in this real-time, turn-based romp through a charming, colorful universe! Engage in first-person / third-person action / tactical, combat, where careful planning and quick reflexes will win the day! Enjoy a deep and intricate crafting system that's incredibly easy to learn! Customize your pre-generated character down to the last detail! Enjoy a fully realized singleplayer campaign as a multiplayer Co-op / PvP experience with the press of a button! Our team has created an easy-to-play, viciously challenging experience that will welcome newcomers to the genre and provide an old-school challenge for hardcore gamers -- with revolutionary, never-before seen gameplay systems that all players will feel immediately at-home with!

*Brought to you by EA, Bethesda, CD Projekt RED, Bioware, Ubisoft, Paradox Interactive, Steam Greenlight, Kickstarter, Desura, and frickin' McDonalds.

SigilFey;n10955051 said:
So, while fun to discuss, I doubt we'll ever see:

Dark Scrolls VII: Mass Witcher's Gate, a fantasy adventure set in the distant future! Explore an open world with a linear, branching story and use magic to overcome technological horrors in this real-time, turn-based romp through a charming, colorful universe! Engage in first-person / third-person action / tactical, combat, where careful planning and quick reflexes will win the day! Enjoy a deep and intricate crafting system that's incredibly easy to learn! Customize your pre-generated character down to the last detail! Enjoy a fully realized singleplayer campaign as a multiplayer Co-op / PvP experience with the press of a button! Our team has created an easy-to-play, viciously challenging experience that will welcome newcomers to the genre and provide an old-school challenge for hardcore gamers -- with revolutionary, never-before seen gameplay systems that all players will feel immediately at-home with!

*Brought to you by EA, Bethesda, CD Projekt RED, Bioware, Ubisoft, Paradox Interactive, Steam Greenlight, Kickstarter, Desura, and frickin' McDonalds.

I think the main reason to ask for user feedback is to sift through it for unique ideas you hadn't thought of that are workable (And fit with the design direction of the game), or to find common, doable requests among large amounts of users.

You're totally right that nobody is going to make the game everyone dreams of. It's impossible. Especially not the dream RPG every single person on the planet wants.

"Just have two totally different combat systems that require two totally different game design philosophies, it'll be easy! RTS and FPS!"

"Just add fantastic TPP and FPP mechanics, simultaneously!"

"Just let us choose whether we want a streamlined perk system or a super in-depth tabletop progression system!"

"Have a ton of quests but also very few quests, have lots of dialogue but also not much dialogue, have a big open world but also a small, contained world!"

The trouble is, some people (usually the loudest individuals) don't realize that it's quite literally impossible to do all of that stuff at once in this day and age. Maybe 2 decades from now AI and machine learning will automate game development and make it cost roughly 5 cents to develop a game. But until then, humans are not perfect, they require food, sleep and a stable income, and budget and/or time constraints are ever-present.

Snowflakez;n10955138 said:
I think the main reason to ask for user feedback is to sift through it for unique ideas you hadn't thought of that are workable (And fit with the design direction of the game), or to find common, doable requests among large amounts of users.

Primarily what I meant by things that make me go, "HmmmMMM!". Ideas that are in tune with the vision that no one came up with.

The trouble is, some people (usually the loudest individuals) don't realize that it's quite literally impossible to do all of that stuff at once in this day and age.

That's always true. Plus, the internet is almost 100% anonymous. So there will be a wide variety psychologies behind a lot of "votes". There will be people voting that are industry leaders in the game development field all the way through those that aren't even fully aware of what their likes and disliked really are. The survey won't judge. But the very best any survey can ever produce is a decided majority. And even that only for a little while. That's a big reason any feedback should be taken with a grain of salt.

Only a fool refuses to listen to advice, and only a fool follows it blindly.

Maybe 2 decades from now AI and machine learning will automate game development and make it cost roughly 5 cents to develop a game. But until then, humans are not perfect, they require food, sleep and a stable income, and budget and/or time constraints are ever-present.

Heh...the funny part about this is that even after technology gets wildly advanced, even if development were free, it still wouldn't affect people's opinions, preferences, or nature. When there's finally a game that offers every conceivable combination of mechanics imaginable by the human mind...someone will immediately complain that it's boring and hard to stay focused on. Or that it lacks identity. Or that developers "these days" need to look back at games from the early 2000's for ideas on how to make a real game. It's neverending.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10955024 said:
Skip to 00:20 , holy moly is this what I think it is???? Real footage of Cyberpunk 2077???
You realize that youtube video is from 2013 and says "Inspired by Projekt' Red's Cyberpunk 2077 for a Motion Caption and Advanced 3D Project" right? It's a fan project.

Rawls;n10955222 said:
You realize that youtube video is from 2013 and says "Inspired by Projekt' Red's Cyberpunk 2077 for a Motion Caption and Advanced 3D Project" right? It's a fan project.

I think Lis is kidding.

Top Bottom