The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Suhiira;n10955471 said:
Maybe they could hang this in CDPRs cafeteria as an inspirational poster?

We provided them with one last year already. Not as lewd, but still (and yes, I ensured that my signature will be the most visible).

Since I can't post the image for some reason, here's the link instead:

https://imgur.com/CTQvtJL

Last edited:
Garrison72;n10958141 said:
Precious few people are appreciating what he did. Developers included. TB brought massive recognition to game devs with his work.

The Warframe devs actually had to cancel their stream because they were crying. Apparently the hosts were close with the guy. But, yeah, beyond a few indie or just generally smaller devs, the industry at large doesn't seem to care.

Too bad. He was one of the very few youtubers I can tolerate (on the few videos that I deemed interesting enough to watch). But... such is life.

I wouldn’t expect fanfares and royal funeral, though. There’s already a subset of special snowflakes (not you Snow) getting giddy over his death on twatter for him trying to be reasonable on some of the social justice garbage that’s polluting the internet and entertainment industry.

One of the reasons why I try to keep my social media stuff at minimum.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10958105 said:
TotalBiscuit is dead.

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-critic-totalbiscuit-dies-at-age-33/#comment-jump

Whether you liked him or not, now's a good time to appreciate all the time and effort he put into consumer advocacy. He was a great guy. Sorry to see him go.

That's a real shame. He was one of the few people on YouTube I could disagree with 90% of times, but still watch him, because he was almost always able to convey his point of view in such a way to make it understandable. While he could be unpleasant at times for no good reason, in the end he usually was able to admit his mistakes and there is no denying that he managed to do a lot for this industry by battling with many dishonest practices.

kofeiiniturpa;n10958210 said:
Too bad. He was one of the very few youtubers I can tolerate (on the few videos that I deemed interesting enough to watch). But... such is life.

I wouldn’t expect fanfares and royal funeral, though. There’s already a subset of special snowflakes (not you Snow) getting giddy over his death on twatter for him trying to be reasonable on some of the social justice garbage that’s polluting the internet and entertainment industry.

One of the reasons why I try to keep my social media stuff at minimum.

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I liked him a lot. It took guts to stand up for what you believe in in today's political climate (where you can lose your job for saying certain things). Whether you agree with his perspective or not it's not hard to respect that.

That's pretty nasty that people (any people) are actually happy about somebody's death. Glad I didn't see any of that, the vast majority of what I saw was support. Except for people asking game accounts that were tweeting their condolences when new content updates were rolling out... "Look, I know a guy died, but when am I getting that pink Mercy skin?"

Snowflakez;n10958933 said:
Except for people asking game accounts that were tweeting their condolences when new content updates were rolling out... "Look, I know a guy died, but when am I getting that pink Mercy skin?"

Well, to be fair, you can't blame those people. You can't expect somebody to give fullhearted condolences and grief (or anything for that matter) to someone they might have no idea about who he was. People die every day, a youtube celeb is none different. It is a bit insensitive, but why should they care? In the grand scheme of things, I do of course agree with you.

And do not seek out those tweets I mentioned. If you feel strongly about this whole thing, you will get a bad day and probably a bad tomorrow too.

kofeiiniturpa;n10959068 said:
Well, to be fair, you can't blame those people. You can't expect somebody to give fullhearted condolences and grief (or anything for that matter) to someone they might have no idea about who he was. People die every day, a youtube celeb is none different. It is a bit insensitive, but why should they care? In the grand scheme of things, I do of course agree with you.

And do not seek out those tweets I mentioned. If you feel strongly about this whole thing, you will get a bad day and probably a bad tomorrow too.

Yeah, you're correct of course. I was mostly referring to people replying directly to the "RIP" tweets with those questions. Definitely not going to seek those tweets out.

Well, it is a bar. Called the Forlorn Hope after the survivors of an ill-fated "adventure". The right place for a certain amount of sorrow.

And now this.

In that case ...
For myself Total Brisket was one of the few people I tended to agree with more often then not. While our tastes in games differed his analysis was always well done, and when he reviewed a game I had an interest in I valued his opinions highly.

R.I.P.

I'll be finishing up Detroit Become Human soon. Gameplay is meh (as anticipated with QTEs and other typical adventure game mechanics), but the visuals, voice acting and branching narratives are all top shelf, especially the branching narratives part. It seems like almost every scene has multiple possible endings, which also effects other scenes later in the game. Really cool highly polished non-linear story telling.

I saw some reviews rip the story as unoriginal ... but it's very good IMO, if perhaps suffering a bit from being over-dramatic. I'd be interested to see a RPG that could create a branching narrative that is similarly complex. You would think character progression and plot progression could go hand in hand really well ... though you'd like have to sacrifice some computing power when it came to graphics.

Rawls;n10963286 said:
I'll be finishing up Detroit Become Human soon. Gameplay is meh (as anticipated with QTEs and other typical adventure game mechanics), but the visuals, voice acting and branching narratives are all top shelf, especially the branching narratives part. It seems like almost every scene has multiple possible endings, which also effects other scenes later in the game. Really cool highly polished non-linear story telling.

I saw some reviews rip the story as unoriginal ... but it's very good IMO, if perhaps suffering a bit from being over-dramatic. I'd be interested to see a RPG that could create a branching narrative that is similarly complex. You would think character progression and plot progression could go hand in hand really well ... though you'd like have to sacrifice some computing power when it came to graphics.

Yeah, I don't think anybody who knew about David Cage's previous games (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls) was truly expecting anything new in the gameplay department. He doesn't make games, really, he makes interactive stories.

My question would be, does it live up to its trailer? With all those fancy branching dialogues and outcomes? Do you actually feel like your decisions have weight? Is the character development any good? The reviews I saw, specifically Jim Sterling's "Jimpressions" video of it, seemed to imply that everybody was quite one-dimensional.

One thing I think many review outlets are up in arms about, and even Jim to a degree, was that the game didn't make a bigger political statement (racism, sexism, etc.) and used the whole "android racism" thing as a substitute. Kingdom Come: Deliverance got a similar treatment, as did Far Cry 5. Many outlets reviewed the games primarily on a political basis rather than focusing on the gameplay. Not taking a stance here, just saying it's a possibility here too.

Top Bottom