How exactly do you want to interact with the world around you?

+
walkingdarkly;n10951949 said:
And I'll bring in the GTA series with the little stuff you can do that's not causing chaos, from shooting pool, playing darts, bowling, surfing the web, running as a taxi driver or ambulance driver, GTA 5 brought in arm wrestling. There are various racing "minigames" of various types throughout the series. GTA 5 added a small pier carnival, though you can only ride the rollercoaster. Oh and there's also golfing, tennis, yoga, and skydiving. Silly and fun stuff...though doubt we'd see most of this in Night City....cept golf, that's a corp game right there. :p

I really hope CP2077 has activities like this. Kyle Rowley (guy workin on the game) asked last year what us players do when outside missions, that makes me believe CDPR may include side activities just like GTA V, whitch should be great.

wisdom000;n10952018 said:
GTA v/online, best game ever made, hands down. Until CP 2077 gets released... hopefully.

And it's totally what most people like. GTA V has over 6 billion in profits.CDPR mentioned multiple times how they admire Rockstar for focusing only in one good game over a long period of time. Perhaps CP2077 will likely be inspired by GTA V.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10952171 said:
And it's totally what most people like. GTA V has over 6 billion in profits.CDPR mentioned multiple times how they admire Rockstar for focusing only in one good game over a long period of time.

Not necessarily. A lot of their revenue undoubtedly comes from Microtransactions, which not everybody will buy. They can make stupid, insane, massive amounts of money with little to no extra effort on their part by selling virtual currencies and the like. Heck, they could probably have a playerbase of 100 "Whales" and make millions upon millions.

"Ordinary," non-whale and non-"dolphin" players love GTA V too, of course. No doubt about that. And many love the online. Personally, the enjoyment I got out of the game did stem from the side activities that others have mentioned, so I wouldn't mind seeing something similar make its way to 2077.

wisdom000;n10952018 said:
GTA v/online, best game ever made, hands down. Until CP 2077 gets released... hopefully.

I hope you're not expecting GTA: Cyberpunk, because you'll be sorely disappointed. 2077 will be an RPG.

If you're referring to the overall freedom GTA offers you, sure, in some regards 2077 could one-up it... Or it might not.

Remember, Rockstar -- to my knowledge -- has stupid high budgets for their games. I can't say for sure what 2077's is, so I won't say it's higher or lower, but I'm just saying there's a good reason R* is able to pull off everything they pull off while simultaneously pushing the graphics envelope.

Plus, y'know, microtransactions.

Snowflakez;n10952399 said:
Not necessarily. A lot of their revenue undoubtedly comes from Microtransactions, which not everybody will buy. They can make stupid, insane, massive amounts of money with little to no extra effort on their part by selling virtual currencies and the like. Heck, they could probably have a playerbase of 100 "Whales" and make millions upon millions. "Ordinary," non-whale and non-"dolphin" players love GTA V too, of course. No doubt about that. And many love the online. Personally, the enjoyment I got out of the game did stem from the side activities that others have mentioned, so I wouldn't mind seeing something similar make its way to 2077.

Dude, GTA V's 6 billion profit was without counting microtransactions.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10952432 said:
Dude, GTA V's 6 billion profit was without counting microtransactions.

So, they've sold 100 million copies of the game? Where did you find this information?

EDIT: We're getting off topic. Forget it. You can PM me if you want.

Snowflakez;n10952456 said:
So, they've sold 100 million copies of the game? Where did you find this information?

They've sold the game on two generations of consoles and PC. The number isn't out of place. I also remember reading that inspite of GTA V's humongus sales, Take 2 was still in financial trouble (at least some time ago).

Here's one link about the sales from last year: https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/23/15...les-80-million

Anyway, GTA V is an overrated game. Popular for sure and a technical marvel in its own right, but very overrated. And it's not a good example of a game in regards to this topic about gameworld interaction, the contrary would be more true.

kofeiiniturpa;n10952483 said:
Anyway, GTA V is an overrated game. Popular for sure and a technical marvel in its own right, but very overrated. And it's not a good example of a game in regards to this topic about gameworld interaction, the contrary would be more true.

This is basically how I feel, but I would add that there's plenty of world interaction GTA V actually gets right, much of which would be 100% at home in 2077.

Pedestrians reacting to your vehicle, your style, your behavior (taking out their phones, taking pictures to send to the police, calling the cops after walking away quickly and fearfully so as not to attract attention... I could go on).

They aren't perfect and they aren't deep, but if CDPR just took a handful of these simpler interactions and tossed them in 2077, the game would be no worse for it, and potentially much better off.

Of course, I would 100% expect them to have much deeper interaction, too. This is an RPG, after all, not a chaos-driven FPS/TPS. But it would be overly cynical to say nothing about GTA V could be translated over successfully and meaningfully.

Snowflakez;n10952510 said:
Pedestrians reacting to your vehicle, your style, your behavior (taking out their phones, taking pictures to send to the police, calling the cops after walking away quickly and fearfully so as not to attract attention... I could go on).

Sure. But that's not really "you interacting with the gameworld" is what I mean. It's the same sort of flavor as Skyrim has when the NPC's there randomly comment on your race, skills and gear.

walkingdarkly;n10951949 said:
And I'll bring in the GTA series with the little stuff you can do that's not causing chaos, from shooting pool, playing darts, bowling, surfing the web, running as a taxi driver or ambulance driver, GTA 5 brought in arm wrestling. There are various racing "minigames" of various types throughout the series. GTA 5 added a small pier carnival, though you can only ride the rollercoaster. Oh and there's also golfing, tennis, yoga, and skydiving. Silly and fun stuff...though doubt we'd see most of this in Night City....cept golf, that's a corp game right there. :p

Sorry, but I don't like that idea. I would much rather have them focus on one or two fully fleshed out minigames of Gwent quality (maybe even with their own dedicated questlines) then throwing bunch of them on the wall to see what will stick. I usually see GTA V minigames being brought out in the context of "oh, and you can do that, and that, and that in the game", but when it comes to actually playing them, most of the times people will try it once or twice, say "oh, that's cool you can do that", then they completely forget about them and would rather do something else within the game world in the spare time. In other words for me that would be simply a waste of time and resources that could be spend on developing something that would get people talk about it long after game release, especially since CDPR doesn't have Rockstar's budget, so they have to be smarter about managing it.

kofeiiniturpa;n10952534 said:
But that's not really "you interacting with the gameworld" is what I mean.

You paint your car pink with yellow wheels, then a NPC makes a comment about how ridiculous your car looks, I'm pretty sure that's a form of interaction since what caused it was the player. It's not a random interaction if it's based on specific player's actions.

Shavod;n10952600 said:
Sorry, but I don't like that idea. I would much rather have them focus on one or two fully fleshed out minigames of Gwent quality (maybe even with their own dedicated questlines) then throwing bunch of them on the wall to see what will stick. I usually see GTA V minigames being brought out in the context of "oh, and you can do that, and that, and that in the game", but when it comes to actually playing them, most of the times people will try it once or twice, say "oh, that's cool you can do that", then they completely forget about them and would rather do something else within the game world in the spare time. In other words for me that would be simply a waste of time and resources that could be spend on developing something that would get people talk about it long after game release, especially since CDPR doesn't have Rockstar's budget, so they have to be smarter about managing it.

110% on board with this. I do want elements of GTA V's NPC interactivity, but the minigames are one thing I've happy to ditch. I played Tennis maybe once or twice before giving up on it, same with the other minigames. In fact,I can't even remember what they are now...

Gwent was so well-made it spun off into its own game. CDPR should strive for that level of greatness again.

kofeiiniturpa;n10952534 said:
Sure. But that's not really "you interacting with the gameworld" is what I mean. It's the same sort of flavor as Skyrim has when the NPC's there randomly comment on your race, skills and gear.

I see, it's more the game world interacting with you. I misunderstood what you meant, which is kind of surprising given how often we talk about this stuff.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10952618 said:
You paint your car pink with yellow wheels, then a NPC makes a comment about how ridiculous your car looks, I'm pretty sure that's a form of interaction since what caused it was the player. It's not a random interaction if it's based on specific player's actions.

It's very low level since it does nothing at all of note. It's more about reactivity than interactivity, since you don't paint your car pink to fish out a reaction (that you aren't sure if or when it happens) but because you want your car pink (the painting of your car is the interaction, low key as it might also be).

Snowflakez;n10952621 said:
I see, it's more the game world interacting with you. I misunderstood what you meant...

In a way, yes. It's a bit on the 'semantics' side of things, but I think it's a somewhat important note to make the difference between interaction and reaction. They're not the same, one follows the other.

kofeiiniturpa;n10952657 said:
It's very low level since it does nothing at all of note. It's more about reactivity than interactivity, since you don't paint your car pink to fish out a reaction (that you aren't sure if or when it happens) but because you want your car pink (the painting of your car is the interaction, low key as it might also be).

Who cares about definitions? Getting a more lively world is the main goal when having player's interactions and npcs reactions to them.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10952669 said:
Who cares about definitions? Getting a more lively world is the main goal when having player's interactions and npcs reactions to them.

Sure, that's true. But this would also imply that your characters feet making sounds as he moves could be called "interacting" with the gameworld on a level that deserves to be said out loud. I'm just trying to differentiate between meaningful result-oriented interactivity and flavor reaction. Both are important, of course, but for different reasons.

Snowflakez;n10952621 said:
the minigames are one thing I've happy to ditch.

That sounds like an empty bland game to me. What else would there be to do other than story missions and missions? If there's nothing but "missions", those would get bland and people would complain. What would you do between missions when you're all missioned out then? Besides we would most likely see most of this stuff anyways, especially the kind of minigames you would find in a bar like poker, darts and pool. Have a minigame to go race some nomads or try to perform HALO drops from a helicopter? I want other things to do in Night City other than just constant missions.

Shavod;n10952600 said:
CDPR doesn't have Rockstar's budget

Rockstar spent around $265 million to make GTA 5
CDPR spent around $81 million on Witcher 3

I'd say CDPR knew how to spend their budget wisely and still make a Triple-A game. Where as Rcokstar probably pumped half of their budget into marketing.
So I'm not concerned about their budget as they have shown they know how to make it all work and produce the best possible results. Then there's the interviews where CDPR has said that Cyberpunk is gonna cost more than the Witcher 3, so if with $81 mill they made Witcher 3, I'm rather interested to see what they will do with a bigger budget. So I don't think the budget will be an issue for CDPR.

walkingdarkly;n10953311 said:
That sounds like an empty bland game to me. What else would there be to do other than story missions and missions? If there's nothing but "missions", those would get bland and people would complain. What would you do between missions when you're all missioned out then? Besides we would most likely see most of this stuff anyways, especially the kind of minigames you would find in a bar like poker, darts and pool. Have a minigame to go race some nomads or try to perform HALO drops from a helicopter? I want other things to do in Night City other than just constant missions.

Oh I wasn't referring to GTA. I meant for 2077.

And TW3 did just fine without all that extra stuff, so not sure what you mean.

If you'd rather have a dozen random minigames than one excellent, well-designed one with a lot of content, that's fine. But I completely disagree. It's not a matter of realism, but of resource allocation. Yes, technically, it's realistic to be able to do all those little activities. But they take time to make, especially in bulk.

I'm not arguing against having all of this in addition to something Gwent-like, though, so don't get me wrong. In a perfect world, that would be possible. I'm not against other people having fun just for the sake of it. I'd just rather have one thing over the other if I had to choose.

walkingdarkly;n10953320 said:
Rockstar spent around $265 million to make GTA 5
CDPR spent around $81 million on Witcher 3

I'd say CDPR knew how to spend their budget wisely and still make a Triple-A game. Where as Rcokstar probably pumped half of their budget into marketing.

Actually, half of Witcher 3's budget was spent on marketing (I recall a figure like $32M on development and $35M on marketing, apparently this was expanded somewhat). Which admittedly paid off very well. But it should also be considered that CDPR is in a lower income region than Rockstar, where the same man hours of work costs less. In any case, they did use their resources efficiently, and one aspect of that was in my opinion not spending too much on "open world" content. The few minigames that were included (Gwent, fist fights, horse racing) probably did not cost too much relative to the number of hours of gameplay they add for those who play them. Not to mention the points of interests like monster nests, smugglers' caches, etc., they might be simple, but still serve to make the world more interesting to explore.

Obviously, the focus was on the quest content, that might be why the game seems to have a relatively low number of voice lines for an open world title, about 44,000 without the expansions (for comparison, it was said to be 158,000 in GTA V, and 60,000 in Skyrim with a silent protagonist), 70% of that in quests. The open world serves more as a background picture to the story, albeit a very nice one. Whether Cyberpunk 2077 changes the otherwise very successful approach of Wild Hunt, it remains to be seen.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is the wages paid in Poland add up to a LOT of money over the course of several years.
Also there's other costs (rent, utilities, office supplies, whatever) so a direct comparison of what Rockstar and CDPR spend to create a game is fairly meaningless.

Also invariably Rockstar was using some roll up Accounting (done a lot with movies) to get to that figure. not that they didn't spend a lot of money, just not as much as it appears they did.

Snowflakez;n10952399 said:

I hope you're not expecting GTA: Cyberpunk, because you'll be sorely disappointed. 2077 will be an RPG.

Why not? After all, Witcher, to me, just felt like fantasy GTA. Mike Pondsmith directly stated that GTA was the game that made him feel like he was playing Cyberpunk as a video game. And as mentioned, CDPR constantly praise the franchise.

Top Bottom