Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
CyberpunkGameFR;n10433782 said:
Obviously PC! I had a great time playing The Witcher 3 on PS4 but this time I'll go for PC, since I bought a GTX 1080 Ti it will be the perfect addition!

How'd you get your hands on one of those?

PC. Because we know we'll get nothing less than great keyboard mapping, superior visuals, proper UI support and perfect optimization. Right CDPR? Right? .........

*crickets chirping*

CyberpunkGameFR;n10442992 said:
What do you mean?

Probably a reference to a shortage in the availability of GPUs and increased prices due to demand resulting from coin mining.

CyberpunkGameFR;n10444242 said:
Ooooh ok, I wasn't aware of that to be honest :)

Yeah, sv is right, that's what I was wondering. :) Basically, cryptocurrency miners have been buying up all the GPUs for their mining rigs and it's caused a big shortage, and really expensive prices because we're in America and supply and demand is just the greatest thing to ever happen to us.

most likely Xbox One unless if i can do some upgrades to my PC. mainly the i5 @4960k and the GTX 750TI. I got 16gb of ram so i am good there,

Sardukhar;n10484382 said:
Huge motivator. I like my PC a lot, but someday..SOMEDAY I hope to comfortably play it from a recliner as well.

Steam link, my friend. I've been using it to great effect so far. Very cheap, too, from what I remember.

I mean, this is assuming you play games on Steam. If you play most of your games on GoG or buy directly from the developers, it won't serve much of a purpose.

Snowflakez;n10484952 said:
If you play most of your games on GoG or buy directly from the developers, it won't serve much of a purpose.
Yeah this is my problem with a steam machine. My steam account is basically reserved for paradox strategy games. Everything else is hard copy or gog.

Snowflakez;n10484952 said:
Steam link, my friend. I've been using it to great effect so far. Very cheap, too, from what I remember.

I mean, this is assuming you play games on Steam. If you play most of your games on GoG or buy directly from the developers, it won't serve much of a purpose.

I do not use a Steam Link, but does it not work with GOG titles added as non-Steam games that are launched from Steam?

It's sad that most games these days are designed for consoles. High quality ports are rare.

...still, I will always love the computer (aka Universal Machine). It's superior.

You're both right. As Gilrond says it isn't the platform that dictates whether games get released on Linux or not. As Lisbeth said Microsoft is playing dirty pool, but, as I said, it isn't with the platform. Microsoft is playing dirty pool with their proprietary API: DirectX. The majority of games are programmed with DirectX in mind, this is rather perplexing as DirectX is nowhere near the ideal graphics API. While certain developers can afford to pay alternate employees to program for DirectX and another API, they seldom do. As it's cheaper to simply pick one and go with it instead. OpenGL and Vulkan are cross-platform, so it begs the question: why don't developers develop with these APIs instead?

OpenGL has handily outperformed DirectX for years, yes even DirectX 12, and the newest API, Vulkan, is even better than OpenGL; so why don't developers use OpenGL or Vulkan? The answer is, as Lisbeth said, Micro$oft shelling out the big bucks for exclusivity. The OpenGL Architecture Review Board didn't have the backing to play hard ball like Micro$oft does. Since both of the latter APIs are now in the hands of the Khronos Group things may change, although they're a non-profit, member funded consortium their controlling member's make up quite a large portion of the tech industry, certainly a larger portion than Microsoft.

Last edited:
lilfro1;n10532652 said:
If it comes out on Linux cool, if it doesn't, doesn't really affect me or 99% of other gamers.

There are more potential CP2077 buyers who are Linux gamers. So your estimation is incorrect.

I'm all for more games being released for Linux in general, so I have absolutely no problems with this - especially given the fact that Linux's userbase has been growing in recent years and months. I don't mind if it takes them a little longer to release the game if it means a mostly-unserviced portion of the market can finally get their hands on AAA titles.

Hope it happens!

Top Bottom