How far is Cyberpunk from reality?

+
Depends on what level of fulfilled cyberpunk criteria we're going on. Cybernetics are becoming more and more popular. Limbs, hearing and eyesight enhancements have made huge leaps. But A.I. and androids are still pretty far off. So far the "Androids" are just creepy automatons. Corporations (and corrupt money) have gained quite the foothold in modern society. Governments aren't officially run by them, but unofficially...?

And the weather sucks! :-D

So we're getting closer at least.

Not that far:

"The Samsung SGR-A1 (or Samsung Techwin SGR-A1) is a type of sentry gun (a weapon that fires autonomously) that was jointly developed by Samsung Techwin (now Hanwha Techwin) and Korea University to assist South Korean troops in the Korean Demilitarized Zone. It is widely considered as the earliest commercialized robot with autonomous capabilities and the first of its kind unit to have an integrated system that includes surveillance, tracking, firing, and voice-recognition.[1][2] While units of the Samsung SGR-A1 have been reportedly deployed, the number is unknown due to the project being "highly classified".[3]"

>the combat zone is real and it has sentries in there

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9142060 said:

Not that far:

"The Samsung SGR-A1 (or Samsung Techwin SGR-A1) is a type of sentry gun (a weapon that fires autonomously) that was jointly developed by Samsung Techwin (now Hanwha Techwin) and Korea University to assist South Korean troops in the Korean Demilitarized Zone. It is widely considered as the earliest commercialized robot with autonomous capabilities and the first of its kind unit to have an integrated system that includes surveillance, tracking, firing, and voice-recognition.[1][2] While units of the Samsung SGR-A1 have been reportedly deployed, the number is unknown due to the project being "highly classified".[3]"

>the combat zone is real and it has sentries in there

Related note: my family and I have actually been in a DMZ. Kind of neat, kind of scary. Not very Cyberpunk though - more Apocalypse Now.

Sardukhar;n9142400 said:
Related note: my family and I have actually been in a DMZ. Kind of neat, kind of scary. Not very Cyberpunk though - more Apocalypse Now.

I heard Syria is a great place to visit this time of year, it has fireworks shows all the time. The only place that can compete with it is the gaza strip, a great place for the whole family!

I think it's one of those things: Art imitating life, life imitating art. Culturally, we are getting there, the tech hasn't quite caught up with it though.

Top Bottom