Dumping ground/discussion thread for Dream RPG posts

+
Sardukhar;n9812941 said:
If you have upgradeable armor....I mean, add a plate or throw an armorjack over your t-shirt, sure, but Cpunk doesn't have "+3 to Int" armor. And I really hope it stays that way.

Absolutely. Cyberpunk should have a work/don't work aspect to its equipment. It works until it's too damaged to work any further.

Now CYBERWARE upgrades - those improve stats!

I want my Pacesetter 2000 SportHeart (TM)! I want my MA and Body increase by +1 now! Or Pacesetter 2000 SportHeart OverDrive (TM)! +2 to said stats, but if you use it for more than 2 minutes....good chance of 1D6 damage and BOD stat halved for awhile.

Rawls;n9816861 said:

Aaaand powered armor (Linear Frames with MetalGear, not full ACPA) affects your BOD....In fact, any linear frame raises your BOD, regardless of armor.

Man, Rawls. You just all kinds of wrong recently.

Sardukhar;n9817651 said:
Man, Rawls. You just all kinds of wrong recently.
Well I thought about mentioning BT as well ... but thought that's more mechanical based than the armour itself you know? Plus being wrong is awesome so long as your willing to change opinions when presented new information ... it's the most efficient way to achieve personal growth.

Basically I'm asking for a gold star for all my personal growth.

Last edited:
No Title

Rawls;n9817721 said:
Well I thought about mentioning BT as well ... but thought that's more mechanical based than the armour itself you know? Plus being wrong is awesome so long as your willing to change opinions when presented new information ... it's the most efficient way to achieve person growth.

Basically I'm asking for a gold star for all my personal growth.

Attachments

• photo178941.png
    photo178941.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 38
SunnyBoy;n10589682 said:
Hello dear CDPR! As all of us here, I can't wait for Cyberpunk to be released. And I'm sure you will make an awesome game out of it. One of the things I wanted to suggest is something that developers seldom do even though it is a good idea in all regards. Namely, proper player character movement speed for keyboard + mouse. Most RPGs have predefined "walk" and "run" (and maybe "sprint") speeds they can toggle between. However, these transitions are never as smooth as what gamepad players have. Being able to set your own speed is very important for immersion (I for one always walk around Novigrad in order not to stand out even more from the crowd). An elegant solution would be to allow keyboard+mouse players to set their movement speed with mouse wheel, like it was in early Splinter Cell games. It's very handy and I believe such a feature would help many gamers get immersed in your world.

Thanks.

This suggestion struck a chord with me, because it's a frustration I've had with PC ports for as long as I can remember.

This "fixed speed" thing is particularly frustrating in a game like Skyrim, where movement speed while sneaking is important. You either move at a snail's pace and can't keep up with an NPC to perform a sneak attack, or you move too quickly and alert everyone in the area (even people sleeping in the next room over, magically).

However, even outside of the context of sneaking, just being able to adjust your speed as you wish is really nice. Makes it easier to keep up with NPCs (TW3 sort of helped with this by having them match your speed), and just lets you RP a bit more - you can gradually come to a stop instead of going from 60 to 0.

The thing is, it's actually possible to implement a system like the one SB suggested. Because it's been done. There was a (buggy) Skyrim mod called "variable movement" that did just that. Players hold shift and then scroll up and down, and their speed changes. I believe it's since been abandoned, though.

The point is, if a modder can pull it off, a AAA studio with millions of dollars for a development budget most certainly can. There is zero reason for PC players to continue to get the short end of the stick here. Especially if 2077 is going to have stealth mechanics, which seems likely.

This is one of thsoe frustrating things that doesn't get mentioned enough for publishers/developers to really care. They just throw in a run/walk toggle and call it a day - because that's totally how human movement works.

Snowflakez;n10627071 said:
The thing is, it's actually possible to implement a system like the one SB suggested. Because it's been done. There was a (buggy) Skyrim mod called "variable movement" that did just that. Players hold shift and then scroll up and down, and their speed changes. I believe it's since been abandoned, though.

It may be enough to simply add one more speed option as a modifier key, e.g. run (default), sprint, fast walk, slow walk. There are plenty of buttons on a PC keyboard. Even in The Witcher 3 I found it inconvenient that double tapping a key is needed to make Roach gallop (which is aborted by any small obstacle, requiring a double tap again), it could have been a separate key instead. Of course, a character with great stealth skill may not need to move too slowly to begin with, unless walking on some noisy surface. Skyrim does also have a high level sneak perk that negates the extra noise from running.

sv3672;n10627221 said:
It may be enough to simply add one more speed option as a modifier key, e.g. run (default), sprint, fast walk, slow walk. There are plenty of buttons on a PC keyboard. Even in The Witcher 3 I found it inconvenient that double tapping a key is needed to make Roach gallop (which is aborted by any small obstacle, requiring a double tap again), it could have been a separate key instead. Of course, a character with great stealth skill may not need to move too slowly to begin with, unless walking on some noisy surface. Skyrim does also have a high level sneak perk that negates the extra noise from running.

You're correct about having a high sneak level in Skyrim. However, PC players were essentially playing a gimped version of the character their console counterparts was playing until that level - definitely frustrating. And, of course, like I said there's other reasons to have varied movement on PC, not just sneaking.

As for your additional modifier key suggestion, that would be the ideal compromise. I'm down for that.

Snowflakez;n10627071 said:
This suggestion struck a chord with me, because it's a frustration I've had with PC ports for as long as I can remember.

This "fixed speed" thing is particularly frustrating in a game like Skyrim, where movement speed while sneaking is important. You either move at a snail's pace and can't keep up with an NPC to perform a sneak attack, or you move too quickly and alert everyone in the area (even people sleeping in the next room over, magically).

However, even outside of the context of sneaking, just being able to adjust your speed as you wish is really nice. Makes it easier to keep up with NPCs (TW3 sort of helped with this by having them match your speed), and just lets you RP a bit more - you can gradually come to a stop instead of going from 60 to 0.

The point is, if a modder can pull it off, a AAA studio with millions of dollars for a development budget most certainly can. There is zero reason for PC players to continue to get the short end of the stick here. Especially if 2077 is going to have stealth mechanics, which seems likely.

This is one of thsoe frustrating things that doesn't get mentioned enough for publishers/developers to really care. They just throw in a run/walk toggle and call it a day - because that's totally how human movement works.

Btw, TW3 has a mod called Enhanced Edition. In it the author has implemented gradual speed change on mouse wheel. Works pretty nice. So here's hoping that if, like most developers, CDPR won't care enough for us PC gamers to allow us to fluidly control our character's motion, the modders will be able to help.

SunnyBoy;n10761171 said:
Btw, TW3 has a mod called Enhanced Edition. In it the author has implemented gradual speed change on mouse wheel. Works pretty nice. So here's hoping that if, like most developers, CDPR won't care enough for us PC gamers to allow us to fluidly control our character's motion, the modders will be able to help.

Indeed.

I ended up picking up a Wooting One analog keyboard in preparation, though, so I'm good for now!

Top Bottom