Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
That is a show I will definitely watch. I do own two or three Judge Dredd comics which I bought back in the early 90's I think it was... and I did like what I read. I just never started to buy and read all of them... I was to much into reading mainly Marvel and Image stuff at the time, and my money could only buy me so much. XD

The only thing I currently remember about those Judge Dredd comics I have is that in one of them the main villain was some guy who had a rat as a pet or something... and in the other one the main villain was Judge Death.

I did also very much so enjoy the last Judge Dredd movie, so since some of the same people who worked on that will work on this is nice. :)

Last edited:
Too bad it's not an HBO collaboration. They have priorities and tendencies in their writing and production that would fit well with the Dredd setup.

The Buramu! film adaptation is out now too, by the way, and for what it is, I think it actually turned out quite decent.
Despite it being rather heavy on CGI and tinted in despicable colors, which takes a bit getting used to, that is.

The Electrofishers chapter wasn't a bad choice to adapt either, although the focus on the Electrofishers rather than Toha Heavy Industries (which isn't even hinted at) might not sit that well with some people. There are also a few moments bordering on the typical japanese "cheese" and over-(melo)dramatization but it's never really going all out on it, and is mostly absorbed by Killy's trademark super-stoic, dead pan attitude. He is looking for those humans that possess the Net Terminal Gene, alright.

A good watch, all in all.
And if there's one thing a second (or third) feature could do way better, it'd be really showing the incomprehensible size of the world. This one already did a bit of that via quotes like "6000 levels below" or wide panoramic shots of the City's impossible vast structures (and the Gravitational Beam piercing them) but there's certainly room for improvement here.

Last edited:
[h=1]'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller to Adapt 'Neuromancer' for Fox[/h] Deadpool director Tim Miller's busy schedule is getting a little busier.

Miller will direct an adaptation of the 1984 sci-fi novel Neuromancer for Fox, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Longtime X-Men producer Simon Kinberg will produce the film. A writer has not yet been set.

The novel was written by cyberpunk pioneer William Gibson, and it launched his Sprawl trilogy. Neuromancer centers on Henry Dorsett Case, a disgraced computer hacker living in Japan who was punished for stealing from his employer by being rendered unable to access The Matrix, a worldwide virtual reality network. But he's given a shot at getting back in the saddle when he is hired to complete the ultimate hack: one on an artificial intelligence orbiting Earth. The novel was Gibson's first, and went on to win critical acclaim — as well as the Hugo, Nebula and Philip K. Dick Awards. He followed Neuromancer with Count Zero (1986) and Mona Lisa Overdrive (1988), all set in the same world and future.

A number of filmmakers have attempted a Neuromancer adaptation over the years, with Joseph Kahn and Vincenzo Natali among the directors who have been attached over the past decade.

Miller made his directorial debut last year with Fox's Deadpool, which became an unexpected smash. He exited the sequel in October over creative differences, but has a number of other projects in the works, including an adaptation of the Daniel Suarez sci-fi novel Influx for Fox and an animated/live-action adaptation of the classic videogame character Sonic the Hedgehog for Sony.

Interesting news about Neuromancer if it turns out to be true. Neuromancer is a deceptively difficult novel to adapt. It's densely packed with ideas and jargon in relatively few pages. As much as I would like it to be a huge success, I'm not sure the general public would be able to keep up.

I'm more worried about the choice of director at this point. That Miller guy should have his hands full enough already as the helmer for the first installment in the proposed new Terminator trilogy.
I guess this leaves the door open for someone not as occupied and a bit more suited for a Neuromancer adaptation to maybe swoop in and replace him.

In other news - IGN got the scoop on two concept pieces for the planned Judge Dredd: Mega City One TV series:

Unfortunately the Dredd TV series is very much up in the air at the moment. The man behind it at IM Global was fired and replaced and often the newcomer simply swipes away any projects on the board and starts fresh. I hope this doesn't happen to Dredd though, truly.

Me to... I really liked Urbans movie... and I would really like to see this tv-series get done as well... it would be a must watch for me.

Ok, my picks are going to be strictly for the gritty street level "Fixers" out there. Not necessarily for the "Cyberpunk" or futuristic aspects, but for the sheer grittiness of it all. In my C.P 2020 group, I refer to these as "So you want to be a fixer?" or " Street Hustling 101." "New Jack City", "Superfly" (Yeah, I KNOW it's dated, but it's all about the hustling"), "The Mack" (Another "oldie but goodie". This one is about Pimps.) and , of course, "The Corrupter" Because you can't have a good game of "Cops and Robbers" without some crooked cops...).

I made a previous post on this topic, but I forgot to include a film: Sin City. In my opinion, a very cyberpunk film. If the main antagonist wasn't some sort of bio-engineered freak, I don't know what is.

Not always neon and cyberware are just enough to say "it'z suberbeng!". Some good movies about gangsters, police at work, psychotic corporates, and corporates in general could also say alot about life and people in a Cyberpunk world. After all, we're talking about the very concrete setting that just had to be called "Cyberpunk something-something", cyberware and neon are here as a world building element after all, people's problems remains the same.

I.e. Cyberpunk is not limited to Blade Runner, and the only difference between writing a story about gangsters in Pulp Fiction and booster gangs in CP2020 is the role of cyberware and flying cars.

Last edited:
I just heard the new Blade Runner will run for approx. 2 hours 43 minutes. Jesus, I'm extatic if Villeneuve can actually fill that space with something more than the usual action and overexposition and dark faces. Perhaps even something arthouse like as he has had a bit of a knack to something like that, Tarkovsky-esque poetry of images and mind perhaps. Phew, I fucking hope it works.

kofeiiniturpa;n9453441 said:
I just heard the new Blade Runner will run for approx. 2 hours 43 minutes.

If its what the trailers are selling then its gonna be 2 hours 43 min of action scenes. And considering we're talking about Ridley Scott, he might fuck up that bad. I hope not. But then again, there is VIlleneuve and those trailers might be a marketing strategy to make lots of money, when in fact the movie might have "depth", I hope this is the case.

Scott has good ideas, he just don't execute them in a great way, hell he even bragged about how good the fact that no one challenged him intellectually in prometheus so Scott could do in his own words "what the hell I want to do". Based on that alone Scott probably hates ideas that are different from his own.

Last edited:
The trailers are meant to draw a lot of people in, if you give the masses only symbolic imagery and calm music, they will give it a pass. There are some hints there that it might go a bit deeper. I don't know if it will, but I sure hope for it. Villeneuve, by the merit of his previous work (Enemy in particular) has what it takes to bring the sequel to the artistic level of the original and take it beyond that. I hope I fucking hope.

Tarkovsky was a genius in cinema, Villeneuve just like Aronofsky has all the upbringings already witin Hollywood.

The next surefire arthouse movie that I know of will be only somewhere next year when Lars Von Triers The House That Jack Built comes out.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9453601 said:
The trailers are meant to draw a lot of people in, if you give the masses only symbolic imagery and calm music, they will give it a pass. There are some hints there that it might go a bit deeper. I don't know if it will, but I sure hope for it. Villeneuve, by the merit of his previous work (Enemy in particular) has what it takes to bring the sequel to the artistic level of the original and take it beyond that. I hope I fucking hope.

Tarkovsky was a genius in cinema, Villeneuve just like Aronofsky has all the upbringings already witin Hollywood.

The next surefire arthouse movie that I know of will be only somewhere next year when Lars Von Triers The House That Jack Built comes out.

I present to you all perhaps the greatest piece of evidence hinting that there'll be "depth" in Blade Runner 2049:

But then again, we should be skeptic since Prometheus and Alien Convenant both made by Ridley Scott had the same sort of short films prologues:

Prometheus:

Alien Covenant:

Both clips above had a lot of depth, but they were cut off from the final versions of both movies. Following this pattern one may assume how Blade Runner 2049's short film "2036 Nexus Dawn" might follow the same road. Therefore the clip I just posted has no meaning.

Top Bottom