Character Customization!

+
Sardukhar;n10706401 said:
Uuuuhhhhhhssssss.....<shudder> go....go on...

It will be a brownie, covered in rainbow sprinkles, and put in a ZipLock bag to keep it moist on the long flight to Canada. (What did you think I meant?) When it gets there, everyone else will be so jealous because of the delicious brownie your received in the mail.

P.S. I dreamed of jetskis actually. Chocolate was involved. We're all good. Until...next time...

(Tosses his hair seductively. [As his hair is so short, this has no effect, even in slow-motion.])

Suhiira;n10706011 said:
I wouldn't take this to mean each character will have multiple classes, only that there will be multiple classes to select from at creation time.
Shavod;n10707111 said:
And what did I said?

The same thing, I think, but it also raises a good point. Multiclassing. It's become such an establishment in RPGs, I can't imagine it not being part of the system. I do hope CP 2077 handles things differently (allowing players to build whatever combo they wish, but not wind up with everything in the end). A huge part of my favorite RPGs of all time is the time spent grueling over how to spend those precious, precious points.

Shavod;n10707111 said:
And what did I said?

I think your wording was just slightly confusing. I understood, though.

This is all extremely exciting news. A lot of stuff that was up in the air appears to be getting confirmed - or as close as you can possibly get to confirmed with CDPR.

Snowflakez;n10709541 said:
This is all extremely exciting news. A lot of stuff that was up in the air appears to be getting confirmed - or as close as you can possibly get to confirmed with CDPR.

With less than 3 months until E3, it does look reasonably likely now the game will be revealed in some way, and that is why we are beginning to receive more bits of information.

sv3672;n10709611 said:
With less than 3 months until E3, it does look reasonably likely now the game will be revealed in some way, and that is why we are beginning to receive more bits of information.

Yes, that's my guess as well. It would make sense, at least. I also don't understand why they wouldn't just say "we won't show Cyberpunk at E3" if they didn't intend to show it there. It would keep people's expectations in check.

Snowflakez;n10709721 said:
Yes, that's my guess as well. It would make sense, at least. I also don't understand why they wouldn't just say "we won't show Cyberpunk at E3" if they didn't intend to show it there. It would keep people's expectations in check.

That's exactly what they've said in the past, so the fact that they aren't saying that now is pretty much confirming it.

Shavod;n10707111 said:
And what did I said?
Merely pointing out how it's likely to work in CP2077.
I've noticed a fair number of games these days allow you to change "classes" or respec more-or-less on the fly to fit situations.

SigilFey;n10707581 said:
The same thing, I think, but it also raises a good point. Multiclassing. It's become such an establishment in RPGs, I can't imagine it not being part of the system. I do hope CP 2077 handles things differently (allowing players to build whatever combo they wish, but not wind up with everything in the end). A huge part of my favorite RPGs of all time is the time spent grueling over how to spend those precious, precious points.
I'm afraid I can't see the need IF CDPR uses CP2020 as the base. Only a single skill separates the roles, and if you allow unlimited access to those role defining skills what's the point of having roles in the first place?

(( Not that I'm at all opposed to a role/classless system, in fact I prefer them. ))

Last edited:
sv3672;n10709611 said:

To me it's almost confirmed we'll be seeing something this year because this is how CD Projekt Red adressed the *beep* and the hype behind it:

Interviewer: On that point, I ask how CD Projekt Red deals with the hype and excitement brough by a single-word, six character-long tweet.

Iwinski: "It’s a huge responsibility and a lot of pressure," says Iwiński. "We know we need to deliver. And we will."

Also:

Iwinski: "We’ve devoted a big part of our lives to The Witcher and it means a lot to us, so we’re definitely not abandoning this universe," Iwiński says. "If you miss your favourite characters—give GWENT a go. If you’re a fan of storytelling, there’s Thronebreaker coming out in the near future. However, in terms of big RPGs, it’s time for Cyberpunk 2077."

Suhiira;n10710161 said:
I'm afraid I can't see the need IF CDPR uses CP2020 as the base. Only a single skill separates the roles, and if you allow unlimited access to those role defining skills what's the point of having roles in the first place?
Yeah I think the best way to handle it is give free skills to start based on role selection, plus one skill that can only be used by that class (like the PnP) which makes it better at it's specialization than anyone else. EDIT: I don't like the idea of role switching too much.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10710161 said:
Only a single skill separates the roles

They can make the choice of role a stat in and of itself such that opens and closes doors like any other stat. That's the characters past from before the game begins (recent or long term) and that's what they innately know about (hence also the special skill). There can be a world of difference based solely on where all the game checks for the choice for the role (where it has significance... dialog, disposition, noticing of details and opportunities as per profession, being able to act as per profession where it is called for).

If the game allows to switch roles, the first choice should always remain there (with an "ex" tag or something) and new one should never offer nearly as much potential as if it was chosen at the beginning.

SigilFey;n10795891 said:
and personal disputes.

Hey, I said disconnect. I have no disputes with anyone. I'm a posterboy of zen. I ooze gentle, soothing air; like a kind summerwind that lulls you to peaceful dreams of laying on the riverbank with seagulls pecking your face and crabs laying eggs to your eyes and armpits the calm waves caressing your bare feet.

kofeiiniturpa;n10796001 said:
Hey, I said disconnect. I have no disputes with anyone. I'm a posterboy of zen. I ooze gentle, soothing air; like a kind summerwind that lulls you to peaceful dreams of laying on the riverbank with seagulls pecking your face and crabs laying eggs to your eyes and armpits the calm waves caressing your bare feet.

Looks like I missed the party again. Or maybe I was apart of it and my post was removed. I don't remember.

At any rate, I also don't care for the idea of role switching, but according to a leak that I'm not going to link to or discuss in detail here, CDPR was at least considering it a few months ago. Take that with a grain of salt, if you'd like.

Even if I didn't have that info to go off of, it would make sense for them to do it. In a game that is apparently going to be more sandboxy in nature than, say, Dragon Age, not locking players into a specific role might make sense so as not to alienate the "mainstream audience" who are used to games like Skyrim or Fallout 4 where you can be literally anything you want to be at any moment.

At the same time, that compromises RP to a degree, and also eliminates the possibility of role-specific quests. People can change in real life, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the things people are good at, they remain good at, and the things people are truly awful at, they often remain truly awful at, barring unique individuals (Who aren't totally uncommon) that just excel at everything they do.

That's why I'm a writer, not a programmer or an engineer. I could probably learn, but why would I want to? Life is remarkably short and I'd rather hone my craft and become the best I can be. My characters would be the same.

As far as character creation stuff goes, I'd hope for one of the following:
  • Skill bonus based on what role you picked. A cop starts with his Handgun skill at a reasonable level, for example, as well as his intimidation and vehicle handling. A Solo might start with above-average melee skills, a "well-rounded" balance of ranged weapon skills, and anything else that is appropriate. Note - these are bonuses, not restrictions. The player can improve at anything, but they start already good at some stuff.
  • The ability to choose certain skills that you can progress faster than others. A solo can choose 2 of 4 solo-related skills that they will get "XP" (assuming the game uses a leveled system like that) towards faster than others.

Snowflakez;n10796531 said:
At any rate, I also don't care for the idea of role switching, but according to a leak that I'm not going to link to or discuss in detail here, CDPR was at least considering it a few months ago. Take that with a grain of salt, if you'd like.

There was a leak? I did not know about that, or at least not a "legitimate" one (like the infamous Witcher 3 documents from 2014), was it discussed on Reddit or elsewhere (not asking for a link, of course)?

Anyway, I do not think it is a bad idea to begin with a generic character and choose or develop a role over time, as opposed to having to pick a class (and various character stats) in a menu before starting the game. But being able to "respec" at any time does take away from role playing, as does in my opinion if skills are essentially turned into "gear" that can be equipped like in The Witcher 3. Perhaps undoing character development could be available at the cost of some real disadvantage, like you can remove 2 skill points that are already in use, but only get back 1 for use elsewhere. In TW3, a potion of clearance is expensive in the early game, but it becomes easily affordable later.

Last edited:
I still am having a hard time wrapping my head around how cybernetics and biosculpting and all that will be handled. They can't just let us go hog wild with cyberlimbs/eyes or a BigKatt package but at the same time even if they give advantages they can be integral parts of a character's appearance.

They could, it really depends how much time and effort they want to put into character generation.
We've all played games where all you can do is select which pre-made head your character has, and ones that let you sculpt your cheeks and nose.
Body parts (as long as they stay to relatively 'human' proportions ... no 'Ant Man' or giants, are no more or less difficult.
The real problem is hair ... long hair leads to clipping issues.

Last edited:
sv3672;n10801541 said:
There was a leak? I did not know about that, or at least not a "legitimate" one (like the infamous Witcher 3 documents from 2014), was it discussed on Reddit or elsewhere (not asking for a link, of course)?

Anyway, I do not think it is a bad idea to begin with a generic character and choose or develop a role over time, as opposed to having to pick a class (and various character stats) in a menu before starting the game. But being able to "respec" at any time does take away from role playing, as does in my opinion if skills are essentially turned into "gear" that can be equipped like in The Witcher 3. Perhaps undoing character development could be available at the cost of some real disadvantage, like you can remove 2 skill points that are already in use, but only get back 1 for use elsewhere. In TW3, a potion of clearance is expensive in the early game, but it becomes easily affordable later.

From what I understood, you choose a role at the start, but it was going to allow for some level of movement between roles just so people wouldn't be strictly locked into one. The catch is, from what I understood, you can't just continuously change roles willy-nilly. You can "respec" once or twice, but that's it.

FYI, it was on a YouTube podcast, not going to name which one. You can do your own digging if you want to look into it. I've been banned on the Reddits for sharing and discussing leaks in the past and would prefer not to get an infraction here, too.

Anyway, even without this in mind, I'd be disappointed if you could respec at any time, for the same reasons you mentioned.

The issue is, what's the actual, lore-freindly in-game reason for it?

Some skills can be given via implants, possibly. But how do you implant role abilities that come from simply living in that role for years? For example, as a Rockerboy, what implant can possibly instantly give you a following of dedicated fans? What implant instantly gives a journalist/media credibility? What gives a corporate the ability to command corporation resources?

None. That doesn't exist. These are not abilities you simply learn, there's usually some outside force (or forces) that must give them to you over an extended period of time.

Some things implants can affect, others you need to improve at through time and effort, which is implied when you select a role (obviously you can get better at it in-game, too).

Suhiira;n10802001 said:
They could, it really depends how much time and effort they want to put into character generation.
We've all played games where all you can do is select which pre-made head your character has, and ones that let you sculpt your cheeks and nose.
Body parts (as long as they stay to relatively 'human' proportions ... no 'Ant Man' or giants) are no more or less difficult.
The real problem is hair ... long hair leads to clipping issues.

Not really? If they do the options would have to be limited to cyberlimbs that are basically prosthetics with no option capacity, and nothing with claws/sharp teeth/natural weapons. Heck, even simply having a cyberlimb gives that limb a little bit of armor doesn't it?

Looks like I missed the party again.

Nothing you haven't seen before. Something was said, something was read, some other words were said and then unsaid by authority. Nothing remarkable.

At any rate, I also don't care for the idea of role switching,

Generally I agree. But the idea of being able to re-educate isn't really too alien here. Just as long as it doesn't mean that you "forget" what you've learned before in order to change who you are mid game (i.e. respec) as that robs all commitment from characterbuilding and choicemaking; and as long as it comes at a cost of not being able to 'max out' your experience with the newly acquired profession as if that's who you always were like with the original choice (nor should you be able to 'max out' the original choice anymore either if you're spreading yourself between two roles).

What I mean is that a player going from a Nomad to a Nomad Cop should never become neither Nomad nor a Cop to their fullest potential (neither with stats nor narrative choices or other gameplay opportunities accordingly).

Top Bottom