Combat system

+
And just how does this hypothetical predictor sort out shooters from the MASSIVE background clutter that's an urban environment?

Oh ... right ... yeah ... it's magic, because it's can't be anything else.

Guest 4149880

There's no bullet predictions, there's no dodging bullets matrix style, you're all going to get shot at some point playing 2077.

Suhiira;n10255402 said:
And just how does this hypothetical predictor sort out shooters from the MASSIVE background clutter that's an urban environment?

Wait...

Are you... Are you implying that 2077 won't have magic? What the heck am I doing here, then? :(

edit: not being snarky to Matthiasa, just joking

BeastModeIron;n10255442 said:
There's no bullet predictions, there's no dodging bullets matrix style, you're all going to get shot at some point playing 2077.
Not if you're smart and ambush or avoid your opponents ... oh ... and probably get lucky.

Snowflakez;n10255462 said:
Wait...
Are you... Are you implying that 2077 won't have magic? What the heck am I doing here, then? :(
edit: not being snarky to Matthiasa, just joking
Oh it'll have "magic".
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

But note this refers to "advanced technology" not hypothetical.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n10255512 said:
Not if you're smart and ambush or avoid your opponents ... oh ... and probably get lucky.

Are you suggesting a no damage play though possibility already? After everything I've read from people here on the forums, suggesting the game is either one way or another, and many contradictory ideas. I guess I have wipe-lash. Not taking a bullet in Cyberpunk is probably going to be like not getting clawed in The Witcher, unlikely...

Suhiira;n10255402 said:

About 50 years of technological advance would be how, but i guess you can call it magic. Fundamentally its not unlike whats going on with driverless cars just on a larger scale and more precise. The computational requirements should only be within a a few orders of magnitude.

You train some AI to identify anything that sticks out as potentially dangerous, guns, blades, etc. Once detected additional computational time can be invested into identification. If identification is not possible the likely purpose could be inferred based on similar designs. From there all else follows.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n10255532 said:
Oh it'll have "magic".
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

But note this refers to "advanced technology" not hypothetical.

Famously used quote that doesn't belong in Cyberpunk, after all everyone well versed in the games rules and world have already made it clear the games tech wont be that advanced. No magic bullet time predictions.

BeastModeIron;n10255792 said:
Famously used quote that doesn't belong in Cyberpunk, after all everyone well versed in the games rules and world have already made it clear the games tech wont be that advanced. No magic bullet time predictions.

Sure, you're right. I think she was just being sarcastic. That said, it is 50 years after an already advanced world (not space age, of course), so I'd expect some reasonable technology jumps. I mean, look at what's happened in the past couple decades.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10255812 said:
Sure, you're right. I think she was just being sarcastic. That said, it is 50 years after an already advanced world (not space age, of course), so I'd expect some reasonable technology jumps. I mean, look at what's happened in the past couple decades.

I know, I'm being a bit sarcastic myself. I just see so much back and forth contradictory ideas being past around.

But yes over 50 years worth of advancement from an already ultra modern society will prove to reveal some new things, no doubt. I'd say any technology used that would appear as magic would have to be anything built at a micro size taking form on a macro scale. Basically nano tech replicants that have fully functioning organs indistinguishable from the human anatomy. Or any technology that one assumes could only be God.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n10255922 said:
I know, I'm being a bit sarcastic myself. I just see so much back and forth contradictory ideas being past around.

But yes over 50 years worth of advancement from an already ultra modern society will prove to reveal some new things, no doubt. I'd say any technology used that would appear as magic would have to be anything built at a micro size taking form on a macro scale. Basically nano tech replicants that have fully functioning organs indistinguishable from the human anatomy. Or any technology that one assumes could only be God.

Why'd you change your avatar? You've thrown me off entirely. Gosh.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10256902 said:
Why'd you change your avatar? You've thrown me off entirely. Gosh.

Ill only tell you, if you can tell me what my avatar was.

I want CD to avoid "slow motion shooting mechanic", or at least the possibility to disable it. Examples like VATS in Fallout, Tactical HUD/power wheel in Mass Effect, Dead Eye in Red Dead Redemption... and so many other games.

Obviously, eagle vision (AC) or seeing through walls completely out.

I also want somehow melee execution "selection", like in Mafia 3 for example.

BeastModeIron;n10255652 said:
Are you suggesting a no damage play though possibility already? After everything I've read from people here on the forums, suggesting the game is either one way or another, and many contradictory ideas. I guess I have wipe-lash. Not taking a bullet in Cyberpunk is probably going to be like not getting clawed in The Witcher, unlikely...
If they use CP2020/FNFF rules then yes ... I think a no damage playthru is not only going to be possible but highly desirable.

Assuming no unreasonable time limits forcing you to "Banzai" your way thru combat you should be able to locate and observe things so that you can bypass or ambush opposition so you very seldom get shot at. A BIG part of this will of course be the AI used for the opposition. If it's your typical "I'm totally suicidal" AI then of course you'll probably take damage because the AI will act in ways totally counter to self-preservation and common sense. But assuming the AI has NPCs react in a rational manner then they should route or surrender if you put them in an untenable situation.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10257152 said:
If they use CP2020/FNFF rules then yes ... I think a no damage playthru is not only going to be possible but highly desirable.

Assuming no unreasonable time limits forcing you to "Banzai" your way thru things you should be able to locate and observe things so that you can bypass or ambush opposition so you very seldom get shot at. A BIG part of this will of course be the AI used for the opposition. If it's your typical "I'm totally suicidal" AI then of course you'll probably take damage because the AI will act in ways totally counter to self-preservation and common sense. But assuming the AI has then react in a rational manner then they should route or surrender if you put them in an untenable situation.

My concern is that the game goes the GTA route and forces players into "Shooter segments". Ideally, every single situation should have the potential to be solved in multiple ways. Naturally, sh*t can hit the fan and your careful plans can go out the window, in which case you might have to improvise or get your hands dirty. But it should be possible. I worry that it won't be. Just look at the Witcher 3.

MatthiasaGarnoth;n10255662 said:
About 50 years of technological advance would be how, but i guess you can call it magic. Fundamentally its not unlike whats going on with driverless cars just on a larger scale and more precise. The computational requirements should only be within a a few orders of magnitude.

You train some AI to identify anything that sticks out as potentially dangerous, guns, blades, etc. Once detected additional computational time can be invested into identification. If identification is not possible the likely purpose could be inferred based on similar designs. From there all else follows.
If you wish to assume improbable technical advances then sure, absolutely anything is possible, may as well include transporters and FTL travel.
Of course there will be some unexpected advances. CP2020 totally missed smart phones and the scope of the internet. But fundamental changes? We still drive cars, we still have tons of paper in offices, we still use (often the exact same) firearms available 50 years ago. Yeah the word processor has replaced the typewriter and we have WiFi but fundamentally things aren't that different then the 1950's. It not like the change from say 1850 to 1900; flintlocks to machineguns, horses to cars, almost aircraft (the Wrights flew in 1903).

Again, it's nearly impossible to prove a negative, so anything you wish to assume may be possible.
I'll stick to the probable.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10257182 said:
My concern is that the game goes the GTA route and forces players into "Shooter segments". Ideally, every single situation should have the potential to be solved in multiple ways. Naturally, sh*t can hit the fan and your careful plans can go out the window, in which case you might have to improvise or get your hands dirty. But it should be possible. I worry that it won't be. Just look at the Witcher 3.
Yep.
Lots of unavoidable combat in W3. Let's hope this isn't the case in CP2077. Because if they use the CP2020/FNFF rules that means you WILL have to reload when you inevitably die. Or they'll have included some sort of bullet dodging or (near) immunity that doesn't fit with CP thematically.

jcchg;n10257112 said:
I want CD to avoid "slow motion shooting mechanic", or at least the possibility to disable it. Examples like VATS in Fallout, Tactical HUD/power wheel in Mass Effect, Dead Eye in Red Dead Redemption... and so many other games.

Agreed. I can’t think of a more boring and gimmicky feature than bullet-time.

kofeiiniturpa;n10258042 said:
Agreed. I can’t think of a more boring and gimmicky feature than bullet-time.

Whoah. Whoaaaaaah.

I still giggle when I play Bloodlines as a Celerity Clan and chase after bullets. Wheeee! Bullet tag!

Sardukhar;n10258132 said:
Whoah. Whoaaaaaah.

I can’t help it. Every single time I see or hear about it, I get extraordinarily bored and tired and the stakes of the whole game go down a notch. It has a real repelling effect on me.

It’s a bit different in VtMB since it’s a magic ability for one class instead of a core feature. A bit. Not much, but a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom