Cyberpunk Source Material: Games, Movies, Books

+
RLKing1969;n9289191 said:
BTW moderator. On Shadowrun being CP? I beg to differ. Gibson, Sterling or Spinrad didn't put elves and orcs into their stories and Philip K.Dick didn't add any magic to his tales. Call me a purist, but if you want magic with your tech, play Rifts... (Damn, I said the "R -Word! Need to wash out my mouth with CHOOH2.)

High tech and low life is the Cyberpunk definition. Shadowrun fits. Rifts, not so much unless you run a Dbees game in the Coalition maybe, or something else equally low-life.

Hell, I've run a Cpunk game in Call of Cthulhu - Delta Green with cyberware. Pretttttty fun.

You should try Shadowrun, you might like it. If you've tried it and it wasn't CPunk enough, well, someone wasn't being cruel enough.

RLKing1969;n9289151 said:
I have heard rumor of a "Cyberpunk 2077 pen and paper update from RTG. Any idea if this is true and when it is supposed to come out?
It's not a rumor. It has been known since 2012 that Pondsmith will be making a new edition of Cyberpunk alongside the Cyberpunk 2077 videogame.

Pondsmith has occasionally talked about it in the last 5 years in interviews and such, but not a lot is actually known about it... other then that he is working on it, and that the new pnp rpg edition is going to give us the timeline of what happened between 2020 to just befor 2077... so that the CP2077 videogame has some history to stand on essentually. We also know that it is supposed to come out befor CP2077, so I would expect it to come out somewhere between 2018-2020 (since I expect CP2077 to come out somewhere around 2019-2020)

Here is a Polygon article from 2012 where they do talk about it a little... but it's not a lot of info really, not much more then what I have already writen I think.

Calistarius;n9290461 said:
It's not a rumor. It has been known since 2012 that Pondsmith will be making a new edition of Cyberpunk alongside the Cyberpunk 2077 videogame.

Uhhh..Cal...as far as I know, it's a supplement, not a Whole New Edition.

It's a sourcebook to cover the time gap, yes, but just a sourcebook. R.Tal is wary of new editions post-203X.

If you have a quote where he says they are doing a new edition, that would be news.

Sardukhar;n9290471 said:
Uhhh..Cal...as far as I know, it's a supplement, not a Whole New Edition.

It's a sourcebook to cover the time gap, yes, but just a sourcebook. R.Tal is wary of new editions post-203X.

If you have a quote where he says they are doing a new edition, that would be news.
Hmm... maybe your right. I have asumed that this would be a compleatly new edition. But most of that comes from that the way most interviews and information I have read over the years about it seem to suggest that it is a compleatly new edition... that part "new edition" is what most places have used when talking about it. I don't know if that is the interviewers choice (and assumtion) of the word to use, or if that is what the person they interviewed actually used or not. Although... I now have also looked a bit closer and Marcin Iwinski has talked about it as an "update"... so maybe it is not an entirely new edition at all.

This below is a part of the link I posted above:
The decision to turn classic tabletop game Cyberpunk 2020 into a video game comes with a pleasant surprise: A brand new edition of the pen-and-paper game is in development.

Speaking with Polygon during E3 last week, CD Projekt RED co-founder and current CEO Marcin Iwiński said that the tabletop game is getting an update designed by Cyberpunk 2020 creator Mike Pondsmith.

The update will be the first since the third iteration of the game, Cyberpunk V3, hit in 2005.

The goal, Iwiński said, is for Pondsmith to carefully update the game so it doesn't feel like a retro take on a cyberpunk future.

Pondsmith is already hard at work on the new ruleset, which will be used to flesh out the video game's storyline, with hopes of releasing the updated tabletop game when the video game hits.
So I don't compleatly know... there are some indications I have seen over the years though that still does seem suggest that Pondsmith might actually be making a new edition of the game.

And the reason I think that is due to one thing I have seen mentioned on some very few occations online... but which stuck with me and is one of the factors as to why I have thought that Pondsmith is making an entirely new CP edition... and that is something called "Cyberpunk Red".

I have seen that phrase, "Cyberpunk Red", in some of the interviews with Pondsmith (which I am currently unable to find)... and, somewhere during the last several years I had also heard that Pondsmith had been working on a new CP edition even befor the whole Cyberpunk 2077 thing came around (again, can't seem to find those either). But... I think I have found some info from two different, and very new interviews (July this year), interviews which I do recognize that I have read (I just forgot about them, and did not really reflect to much over the parts about CP Red), that might point to what I have been thinking, that it might be a new edition entirely... it might still only be an update of course, but it does not 100% rules out an actual new edition.

Quote from a Rockpapershotgun interview from 12 of July 2017:
It was news to me that Pondsmith was having this kind of input on Cyberpunk 2077, alongside his work on a new iteration of the tabletop game. The new pen and paper version, coincidentally codenamed Cyberpunk Red before any contact with CD Projekt Red had occurred, will be set in 2020, decades earlier in the timeframe. Because the two games are in the same continuity, there’s a back and forth about narrative aspects that need to match in a credible way. Pondsmith has had to tell the 2077 devs that certain characters they might want to use will be dead and forgotten by the time their story begins, although he smiles, saying “I do have ways to bring some of them back”.

And a quote from a Eurogamer interview also from the 12 of July 2017:
"I was actually in the process of doing Cyberpunk Red when CD Projekt Red showed up," he tells me, so he will continue with that. He'll also "probably" do a 2077 version for pen and paper in addition to the Mekton Zero game he's way behind on.

So yeah... there are things out there that does suggest that it might actually be an entirely new Cyberpunk edition. I guess it depends on what did and did not change once CDPR came into the picture... because if I am not mistaken CDPR does now also have the rights for the pen and paper property as well... atleast if you should belive this quote from the interview I linked to in my previous post:
A key part of Pondsmith's involvement in the project is updating the pen-and-paper version of the game, so the video game team can work off that when helping the fiction make the leap from the table to the television, Iwiński said.

And CD Projekt has the rights to the pen-and-paper property now as well, so they're able to make sure it sticks around.

lv-426;n8844130 said:
The lack of Crusader: No Remorse (1995) and Crusader: No Regret (1996) is disturbing.

So is Brigador's absence.
So... I guess neither of the above is "cyberpunk" enough to be added to the list?

How about the just now released Observer featuring none other than Roy Batty himself then?

cbubacz;n9320001 said:
I didn't see anybody mention Max Headroom in here? Man, that show had the best depiction of "media" player archetypes ever.

Welcome to the forum Snake. This place needs some Chaotic Neutral characters like yourself.

Not sure if this was mentioned here on the forums but there's a new Cyberpunk detective-horror game made by a Polish company and from what I heard/read it's pretty damn good.

[video=youtube;tBlj-N9Bcw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlj-N9Bcw0[/video]

gregski;n9326241 said:
Not sure if this was mentioned here on the forums but there's a new Cyberpunk detective-horror game made by a Polish company and from what I heard/read it's pretty damn good.
Observer

I'll let you know IF I EVER GET IT WORKING, mutter mutter mutter.

NukeTheMoon;n9333421 said:
I'm kind of shocked 4 years later and Unreal Tournament (1999) is not on the list.

Also Killing Floor 2 should be on the list.
I have played UT, and it never came of as cyberpunk to me. I have not played Killing Floor, but from what I have read about it, and seen from it with images and some videos, it does not seem to fit under the umbrella of cyberpunk.

I might be wrong of course about it... but they just don't feel like cyberpunk at all to me.

Calistarius;n9334281 said:
I have played UT, and it never came of as cyberpunk to me. I have not played Killing Floor, but from what I have read about it, and seen from it with images and some videos, it does not seem to fit under the umbrella of cyberpunk.

I might be wrong of course about it... but they just don't feel like cyberpunk at all to me.

Hmmm, if Quake 4 is on the list...

The setting of UT is cyberpunk-ish, although considering the game, it's not that relevant to the game itself.

I wouldn't argue that for UT2003/UT2004/UT3, as they were for more sports-like in their setting.

But for the orginal UT, the intro is pretty much straight cyberpunk. Miner gangs killing each other for the entertainment of the rich. Also, considering each "combatants" background as given in their profile.
This is of coarse, my interpretation of the intro video, and profile backgrounds.

As for KF2, that is definitely "high technology, low life", but again, a game-play dominate game where the setting and story take a back seat to the action. Maybe that in and of itself it enough to rule it out. However if it should be, then the list as it is right now is far too broad.

I would feel that the most cyberpunk-ish game would have strong story elements that bring the setting into the forefront.

You have an awesome list! I want to add the Dan Simmons book, "Hiperion". It is more than an space opera and have very interesting concepts about cybernetics and artificial intelligence.
And recently I saw this demo of "Observer" game, and it looks nice.

If you're starving for a turn-based, absolutely cyberpunk tactical rpg difficult AF, I have "Paradise Cracked" for you. Game's support discontinued and it's released as public domain for everyone free for the taken. Released in 2002, absolutely Win32, may have problems on modern OS'. Don't mind the negative reviews, 90% is written by casuals and modern gaming journalists.
Random video. It's almost impossible to find any material about this game in english, so you're on your own. Or armed with Google Translator. Don't mind the graphics, for some reason, it gets fancier when you play it further and further.

For english version, you'd have to build this lego set (warning - translation's pretty inaccurate):

Gamerip (rus/eng) - vk.cc/3KVdtW
Voiced barks - vk.cc/3KWnN2
Voiceover for dialogs - vk.cc/3KYEWk
Videos - vk.cc/3L3ALP & vk.cc/3L4roB
Music - vk.cc/3L4Asm & vk.cc/3L4SyE
Patches - vk.cc/3KVJyn

Last edited:
Battle Angel Alita has some pretty good concepts that can be implemented in the game like the Hunter Warriors bounty hunters

RLKing1969;n9769591 said:
Let's not forget "Little Heroes" By Norman Spinrad , "Gorgon Child" and it's sequel "Street Lethal" by Stephen Barnes.

Street Lethal I have read. Definitely cyberpunk.

Top Bottom