Mech-fanatics UNITE!

+
Mech-fanatics UNITE!

So basically Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in a sci-fi future with punk in it. If you had a mech in mind that you think might fit in with the game let's hear it!

If we gave Voltron a mohawk, that'd make it Cyberpunk, right? =p

Yeah; sorry mate, but mecha typically don't fit in to a Cyberpunk-themed environment.

It's more like a science near-fiction environment. We might not have it today, but by the end of the century, yes. Gundam, no.

power armor, worn as a suit, yes... maybe....

Giant robots, no...

Just a little reminder for Mister My-ideal-of-the-game-is-the-only-ideal.

Well, it's my ideal, too, or pretty close.

Because Cyberpunk 2020 doesn't -have- what you're showing.

CDPR already killed off Swaggy as an indicator how much they plan to use that concept art.

There are giant armoured vehicles in Maximum Metal, but they see little play in Cyberpunk 2020, acting as background primarily.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at, not enough arrows.

I think as long as the Reds make the environment stylish and awesomely cyberpunk, it won't matter what they add....Personally, I dislike the robo armour suits, and I don't really like the mecha stuff either, actually. But if they want to add this stuff and can sell us on it, then that'd be cool.

I think the closest things to Mecha in 2020 are either the large ACPA suits, (about the size of a tank, but upright,) or WADs, (Working Assistant Droid's.)

Many of us, myself included, don't feel that Mecha would really fit within the CYberpunk world. Even after an extra 50 years on top of the established timeline, they wouldn't feel right.

Wait, where are you pointing at? Only if there were few more arrows.. Oh well..

Thats just a concept art for the CP77 and it doesn't really mean there will be mech's in the game. And anything that takes 3 rockets and 2 mags of ammo and still standing doesn't belong in Cyberpunk universe in the first place.

Thats just a concept art for the CP77 and it doesn't really mean there will be mech's in the game..

Really? I think it makes pretty clear that the game WILL feature mechs bigger than humans. We're not talking about Transformers here, but a big clumsy machine like on the picture. If you look at concept arts from other games, they often feature stuff present in the final game. I remember a Witcher 2 concept art of Flotsam that looked exactly like... wait... what was it? Oh, yes. FLOTSAM in the final game, completely with lighting.

Do you really think that CDPR dudes and dudettes draw concept arts of stuff that they don't want to include like that, at least more or less? And even release those pictures to the public? Where's the friggin point of that? That's just utter nonsense. They want us to have a look at what their plan is, where they wanna go with the game.

The only job we have to do, that we actually CAN do, is like it. Or not, that's up to everybody.

And anything that takes 3 rockets and 2 mags of ammo and still standing doesn't belong in Cyberpunk universe in the first place

I am somehow pretty sure, that regarding the videogame, it is not you who will or has to decide that.

Again, it's always the biggest nerds that simply cannot accept that it will NOT be possible for CDPR to create the game that has it all. Or to listen on every fudging demand that Wisdom or you or anybody else comes around with. They will listen to you, sure, secretly reading all of it - but they have to sell it to more people than just the die hard fans, to a mass audience, and thus, probably WILL have to make compromises, decisions that die hard fans may not like. The sooner guys like you accept that, the better. I'm not saying I really really want mechs in the game and I'm absolutely not saying that CDPR wants or plans to scare away the fanbase - I am saying I myself will wait for the final game, and take it how it is. Because I cannot change a thing about what they do, especially not when the decision has already been made. And neither can you.

Oh, and one more thing: I highly doubt that Mike P would let them release a concept art of a giant robot if he didn't think - for WHATEVER reason - that it was damn cool and would fit overall. So you talking about what fits in the world of CP and what not as if you are some kind of judge, is bold and obsolete. Same applies for me, that is.

In the end, this whole forum is obsolete as long as there's no official gameplay or at least in-game images.

Good night.

Really? I think it makes pretty clear that the game WILL feature mechs bigger than humans. We're not talking about Transformers here, but a big clumsy machine like on the picture. If you look at concept arts from other games, they often feature stuff present in the final game. I remember a Witcher 2 concept art of Flotsam that looked exactly like... wait... what was it? Oh, yes. FLOTSAM in the final game, completely with lighting.

Do you really think that CDPR dudes and dudettes draw concept arts of stuff that they don't want to include like that, at least more or less? And even release those pictures to the public? Where's the friggin point of that? That's just utter nonsense. They want us to have a look at what their plan is, where they wanna go with the game.

The only job we have to do, that we actually CAN do, is like it. Or not, that's up to everybody.

I am somehow pretty sure, that regarding the videogame, it is not you who will or has to decide that.

Again, it's always the biggest nerds that simply cannot accept that it will NOT be possible for CDPR to create the game that has it all. Or to listen on every fudging demand that Wisdom or you or anybody else comes around with. They will listen to you, sure, secretly reading all of it - but they have to sell it to more people than just the die hard fans, to a mass audience, and thus, probably WILL have to make compromises, decisions that die hard fans may not like. The sooner guys like you accept that, the better. I'm not saying I really really want mechs in the game and I'm absolutely not saying that CDPR wants or plans to scare away the fanbase - I am saying I myself will wait for the final game, and take it how it is. Because I cannot change a thing about what they do, especially not when the decision has already been made. And neither can you.

Oh, and one more thing: I highly doubt that Mike P would let them release a concept art of a giant robot if he didn't think - for WHATEVER reason - that it was damn cool and would fit overall. So you talking about what fits in the world of CP and what not as if you are some kind of judge, is bold and obsolete. Same applies for me, that is.

In the end, this whole forum is obsolete as long as there's no official gameplay or at least in-game images.

Good night.

Chill man, i didn't say anything thats worth that long of a read. Do you really think everything in the concept arts make it into the game? Or do you think they make concept art based on detailed requests? ("Add a giant mech and a guy with a sweet swag jacket. Swag jacket guy should hold a rifle.") It doesn't work that way.

But wait, look Half-life 2 concept art:

It is so different from the final game, it is ridiculous. Do you know how much concept art was never used for Half-life 2? There are even concept art featuring different characters with different looks all together. It is kinda silly to think they will not change anything and concept art represents what the game will look like. Concept arts like those are made to show how to atmosphere and the environment is most likely to look like. Not to show what it is actually going to be in the game. You can disagree with me, they may even decide to add mecha's in the game, but it will not change the fact my point about concept arts is right.

Have a great night.

@OEDO-808:

You do realise that 'Concept Art' is what it says, concept work. Now I am not saying that it wont be in the game, but just because they released a concept picture of it, it doesn't mean it WILL be in the game either. Not everything that gets made up in concept art makes the cut. It's kind of the point of conept art...

Many of us die-hards don't feel that Mecha would fit with 2020 at it's roots, (and that is what Mike said the game would be. He also said that tech would not advance all that much,) and that is our opinion.

If you go back through a ways, there is a thread discussing what that walker is. It was suggested that Swaggy was either hallucinating or experiencing a Braindance. This would make sense as he seems to be the only one aware of the 30ft walker approaching his position...

So how about we all keep an open mind with regards to the concept art, huh?

Now, I have re-read the OP, (and I think we all should,) and he is actually asking if we can think of a mech that could fit. Us die-hards gave our answers; maybe large ACPA could cover it, but if you can turn up to a fight in an armoured suit like this, why would you turn up in anyhting else? Also, unless our characters are going to be spec-ops or some other elite individuals, I don't see how we could even get access to hardware on this level...

Things you see in concept art may appear in the final game, or may not. It really isn't something you can predict.

You may want to look at this for TW2 - This guy did a hell of a lot of the concept art for TW2, but even then, not everything makes it into the game.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/The-Witcher-2-concept-art/1593023

Sigh, since you called me out specifically, again, let me school you once more.

Is the vehicle in that image in any way humanoid? Hell, does it resemble anything at all really? No... then my point stands. And unless you are some kind of semantic pedant, you will understand that if someone is talking about giant robots, in a mecha thread, then they are talking about humanoid robots.

They also, quite often, don't appear in the game.
Hey, here is some concept art for Saints Row 3... a game series known for its wild custom vehicles...

Guess what doesn't appear anywhere whatsoever in the game? The Saints private jet featured in that image. It was their prime advertising image, appearing on billboards, in magazines, etc... Hell they went so far as to build a mock-up of that planes Fuselage as part of their E3 booth.

And that was something fans of the existing franchise DID want... but it never came to be seen anywhere in the game, even in DLC.

Quite often things seen in concept art are also dropped if it gets negative reactions from fans of the franchise.

Actually, they release early concept all the time to get feedback, especially in the case when translating a beloved property.

Again, it's always the biggest nerds that simply cannot accept that it will NOT be possible for CDPR to create the game that has it all. Or to listen on every fudging demand that Wisdom or you or anybody else comes around with.

You keep calling me out, claiming I make all these ridiculous demands... when I have never made a demand about anything, and the only things I have said that would prevent me from buying the game are if the game was turn based, and if the game lacked drivable vehicles. I am vocal in my opinion that the game should have nomad wasteland areas as well, but I haven't demanded it, I haven't even said I wouldn't buy the game if it didn't have it... just that I would be very disappointed if it didn't, because of how important the dichotomy between the urban and rural landscapes are to the core concept of the game.

Actually, I feel being so very intimately familiar with the setting Mike created DOES qualify me to accurately weigh in and tell forum goer's who don't have a clue what they are talking about when an idea won't fit with the established setting. Sure, it's entirely possible that CDPR and Mike decide to crap all over the franchise, and introduce giant transforming humanoid robots and anti-gravity guns, hell maybe they will introduce magic and aliens and superheroes too, and all sorts of other completely implausible things... however that would go against everything they have claimed they are doing so far, which was remaining close to the tech level and setting of 2020.

The Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook Maximum Metal stated very clearly that not only do Giant Robots not belong in the setting, but they explained why they don't even make sense in the setting on page 59:
"Without question, the most profound misunderstanding about powered armor, and it's near cousin, the giant robot, is the terrible difficulty of weight. While there have been games, cartoons, about huge humanoid mechanisms, they must remain fiction. Why? Ground pressure. Simply put, the full weight of a humanoid device is going to be pressed down on two (or four) proportionately sized feet. A 900 pound ACPA stands only inches taller than a normal man (the following calculations are using 84_90"). One of it's feet will have a surface area of about 60 inches (about 50% more than a man the same size. Two such feet will thus have 120 inches between them. This works out to about 7.5 pounds per square inch of ground pressure. A normal human male will be about half that much. But, make that same powered armor or robot twice as tall, about 14 feet, and the thing will weigh about 7200 pounds, or over three and a half tons! It's feet will have about 240 inches between them, exerting a ground pressure of 30 pounds per square inch.

Now consider that a heavily loaded 18-wheel tractor trailer is closer to 22 pounds per square inch. If our robot thing is now three times as tall, 21', the monstrosity will weigh 12.1 tons, exerting a ground pressure of 67.5 pounds per square inch, or as much as 3 stacked 18-wheelers. The ground pressure exerted by appliances such as refrigerators and waterbeds are much less than the seven foot robot, because of their generous surface area; but many old timers in 2020 can remember items like these falling through the floors of older houses. So, how do you build a 50' foot robot? Well first you get 327,942 pounds of material (that's if you can make the material 1/3rd the weight of steel), and stack it, man-shaped, over the 428.6" surface area of it's feet for a ground pressure of 785 pounds per square inch! Or, why not just stack up a mountain of 35 18-wheelers and see whether the bottom one can move at all (since it's very flat by now)."

I appreciate that you try to explain everything to me on an appropriate, substantiated base, Wisdom.

Still. I have no interest in reading lines and lines of whatever sourcebook you quote for me. For me, there's the pen and paper game, and then there's the videogame that's coming. In my opinion those will and HAVE TO be two different types of media that will - in certain aspects - not be the same. I mean, it already starts with the names. Cyberpunk 2077 WILL NOT be Cyberpunk 2020 - not entirely. Of course it would be fatal if they change too much - but why not add some new stuff? Why not change some classes from what they originally are, because everybody knows that they won't be playable like that otherwise? No instead, you opened a thread months ago in which you said "why not delete those classes". Please what? I really agreed with you on the point that the Rockerboys (like they are in the PnP) won't be really playable in a videogame. But instead of being open minded for a few changes, you want the class completely erased instead. My advantage is, I am open for new stuff, I want to see what CDPR is up to, and I wouldn't really be happy about a 1:1 videogame version of CP2020 with just another number in its title. And since I am rather a big fan of Cyberpunk itself instead of the pen and paper game that coincidentally has the same name like the genre and movement does, I sometimes have another opinion than you. Because Cyberpunk 2020 is not the only cyberpunk thing out there, and its rules apply for its own universe, but not for anything else Cyberpunk. So if CDPR want to take it further, if just a little bit, then I am more than happy and open minded to see what they are up to. And I think your strict expectations are what hold guys like you back. If Pondsmith really is so heavily involved like he says he is, then there's no reason to be against new ideas, because they probably come from him, too. And after all CP2020 is the work of his lifetime and I doubt he would talk so enthusiastically if there was anything he didn't like.

Same applies for the concept art with the mech. I am somehow pretty sure that we will see something similar in the final game, if we like it or not.

No instead, you opened a thread months ago in which you said "why not delete those classes". Please what? I really agreed with you on the point that the Rockerboys (like they are in the PnP) won't be really playable in a videogame. But instead of being open minded for a few changes, you want the class completely erased instead.

Whoaaaaaaaaaah nelly.... My thread asked a question, the question was simple... Due to the inherent difficulty in accurately representing some of the core roles on tabletop game, should certain roles be eliminated? And, if roles must be eliminated, then which ones would you prefer to keep, and which ones should be dropped? There was never a point that I said I WANTED any of them eliminated, and in fact I don't. I wan;t the roles, and I want our character to be able to take multiple roles... I have stated this many many times.

While I would never play a rockerboy, I recognize that others dig the role.

There is a big difference between saying "Hey, due to logical game constraints, some of these roles may not be playable!" and saying "Hey, lets just axe them because whatever!"

Along the same lines, because the role is an archetype, a description of the characters career, if you change that, then you are in fact eliminating the role. You may be replacing it with a new one, you may even be calling it the same thing, but it's still eliminating the original. If a rocker is no longer a public activist/musician... then it becomes something else entirely.

My advantage is, I am open for new stuff, I want to see what CDPR is up to, and I wouldn't really be happy about a 1:1 videogame version of CP2020 with just another number in its title. And since I am rather a big fan of Cyberpunk itself instead of the pen and paper game that coincidentally has the same name like the genre and movement does, I sometimes have another opinion than you. Because Cyberpunk 2020 is not the only cyberpunk thing out there, and its rules apply for its own universe, but not for anything else Cyberpunk.

Your disadvantage is you don't know anything about the setting of Cyberpunk 2020, which DOES serve as the basis for Cyberpunk 2077. So you really don't know if you would be happy with a 1:1 translation. And you believe that because something works in another piece of Cyberpunk fiction, it should work in the Game setting as well... and it doesn't always work like that.

If someone wanted aliens and giant mechs in Witcher, would you really be all "awesome, that shit totally fits... after all Escaflowne, Aura Battler Dunbine, and 5 Star Stories were all fantasy stories, and they had giant robots.... so it would totally work in the Witcher. "? No, you would say "that shit doesn't belong, and doesn't fit the setting at all!" Well, maybe, I dunno, I know nothing about the Witcher, maybe it does have giant robots in it, but the point stands. Just because something in the same genre contains a certain element, does not mean that it's ok to put it in everything.

So if CDPR want to take it further, if just a little bit, then I am more than happy and open minded to see what they are up to. And I think your strict expectations are what hold guys like you back. If Pondsmith really is so heavily involved like he says he is, then there's no reason to be against new ideas, because they probably come from him, too. And after all CP2020 is the work of his lifetime and I doubt he would talk so enthusiastically if there was anything he didn't like.

I am not against new ideas. I am against ideas that don't belong in the settting as it has been established. Sure, there are always people who just don't care, who just want fun, no matter how big of a departure from the source it takes. I am not one of them, nor are most cyberpunk 2020 fans.

Same applies for the concept art with the mech. I am somehow pretty sure that we will see something similar in the final game, if we like it or not.

The machine that appears in the concept art is a walker, it is not humanoid, it does not transform, it is closer to the scout walker from star wars than anything from Gundam. As I said in another thread, a total of 5 of them appear in the source material, and they weren't all that well received by Cyberpunk fans. If it does appear in the game, it's not really that big of a deal, although it will inevitably lead to people wanting giant robots... because thats how casual fans react to things like that. And it will give kind of a skewed idea as to what the focus of the game is. It's the same argument I have against laser weapons... yes they exist, but they are so rare most players never see them their entire gaming experience with Cyberpunk 2020.

I get it, because you aren't a fan of the source material, and know nothing about it, you don't care about these things. All you want is a generic cyberpunk game, with your favorite elements from what you have been exposed to. But the source material has fans, fans who feel they have already been burned once... and it is VERY important to us that the video game is done right, that it evokes the same feel as the tabletop game. The video game will set the popular standard for the Pen and Paper game, and if it skews too far from the feel, especially in terms of tech and setting, then we will be very disappointed indeed.

Whoaaaaaaaaaah nelly.... My thread asked a question, the question was simple... Due to the inherent difficulty in accurately representing some of the core roles on tabletop game, should certain roles be eliminated? And, if roles must be eliminated, then which ones would you prefer to keep, and which ones should be dropped? There was never a point that I said I WANTED any of them eliminated, and in fact I don't. I wan;t the roles, and I want our character to be able to take multiple roles... I have stated this many many times.

Aha. Then why not have a look at this:

[...]Which brings us to Rocker. This would be by far the most difficult class to bring into a game. It would require a detailed mechanic complete with concerts and band practices... [...]

So Rockerboy should really just be dropped altogether. It doesn't even make sense as a secondary class.

Your words dude.

There is a big difference between saying "Hey, due to logical game constraints, some of these roles may not be playable!" and saying "Hey, lets just axe them because whatever!"

That is true, of course. Still, I do not understand why you'd rather drop the role that doesn't seem to work in a VG instead of accepting a redesign. In the moment where you say "It won't work like this, so yeah, they better drop the role (Again, your words in that thread) and thus, basically say "everything else would dissappoint me to the point that I boycott it as the fellow fan that I am", then, honestly, it is you saying "Let's axe it because whatever". Or rather "Let's axe it because I won't accept anything else". I completely understand that there are certain rules that apply to each and every role, and these should be taken seriously. But you recognized yourself, it will be difficult to implement certain roles in the game in the way they are in the PnP.

And my personal opinion is simply that if such a case is the case, then let's just be a little bit more open minded and see what CDPR (And Pondsmith) will do with it.

Along the same lines, because the role is an archetype, a description of the characters career, if you change that, then you are in fact eliminating the role. You may be replacing it with a new one, you may even be calling it the same thing, but it's still eliminating the original. If a rocker is no longer a public activist/musician... then it becomes something else entirely.

I understood by now what a rocker / rockerboy within the CP2020 universe is and I see that I had the wrong expectations about the role. But now it is you who's getting pedantic here and you know it. Again, with the above quote you say nothing else than "...and that's not what I will accept." You tell me you want the role, but you'd rather see it gone completely before you accept a Rockerboy class that has been changed from the source, "because it wasn't like that in the books!" And that is silly. It would be the same if my dog died, and I'd find out afterwards that it was the last Golden Retriever on the planet, and instead of getting another type of dog that may make me very happy too, I rather have no dog at all for the rest of my life.

Your disadvantage is you don't know anything about the setting of Cyberpunk 2020, which DOES serve as the basis for Cyberpunk 2077. So you really don't know if you would be happy with a 1:1 translation.

Again, you completely misunderstand my point. In fact I do know: I WOULD like a 1:1 translation BECAUSE I do not know anything about it and since I'm not into PnP, thus would gain access to a universe that seems very cool to me and that also contains my favourite setting.

And you believe that because something works in another piece of Cyberpunk fiction, it should work in the Game setting as well... and it doesn't always work like that.

I get it, because you aren't a fan of the source material, and know nothing about it, you don't care about these things. All you want is a generic cyberpunk game, with your favorite elements from what you have been exposed to.

Aaand again, you're thinking way too far. I'm well aware of all you say, and I don't know what you interprete into my posts, but even though I am unfamiliar with the CP2020 universe and gladly admit it, after seeing illustrations from the books, reading different texts on your website, finding out stuff about popular characters and places, I'm the last one here to say that they should dump the whole universe and create something new. People in here keep picturing me as someone who doesn't give a damn about tradtions and lore rules. And that's just so wrong. I do not want a "generic cyberpunk game" as you say. I want something that shows me that there's still stuff to discover in that setting and I am convinced that I will find what I want. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED BY THE FINAL PRODUCT. I don't want a Cyberpunk 2077 that looks like friggin' Sin City just because Film Noir is close to Cyberpunk and just because I like Sin City. I don't want a Cyberpunk 2077 that has nothing but this dark gritty feel of Blade Runner because I love that movie (Well, maybe I do want it, just a little bit, the movie is the godfather of Cyberpunk after all).

I want a Cyberpunk 2077 that still is Pondsmith's baby.

By now I realized that the world of CP2020 - please, correct me, if I am mistaken - still has an overall gritty feel to it, a certain hopelessness and dark mood, but at the same time, is colourful in its appearance and vast and vibrant and full of possibilities. Not just a completely fucked up world with a bit of sentimentality, like Blade Runners'. There are endless possibilties, and excentric characters and sometimes crude humor, and I like that, even if I have no idea about the lore, and that is what I want.

I simply want CDPR to do the best job possible in that matter. Yes, even if that means that they have to change stuff / lore from the source a little bit. I DO NOT WANT THAT - but if it HAD to be, I COULD accept it and probably still would have fun. And even though it should be the other way around, it is I who trusts CDPR and especially Mike Pondsmith. If there's no one else in the world who knows about the rules and lore like you do, HE still does. I am completely convinced that he will not let anything bad happen to his lifetime's work unless he's gone rabid. Everything that will be in the final game, will have Mikes blessing and thus will be irrelevant to argue about wether it is right or wrong. And there's just no doubt about this. It is YOU who should trust them. I should be skeptical, because I'm an outsider, but I'm not and that is what I mean with advantage. That's the only point you and I are clashing about.

Your words dude.

Yes my words.... words that say "if the mechanics requried to do the role justice are not able to be properly implemented, then it would be better to drop the role.

That is NOT me saying that I want the role dropped, that is me saying I don;t see how they could implement the role properly, and would rather see it dropped than done poorly.

Even though yes, I do hate Rockers as a role...

That is true, of course. Still, I do not understand why you'd rather drop the role that doesn't seem to work in a VG instead of accepting a redesign. In the moment where you say "It won't work like this, so yeah, they better drop the role (Again, your words in that thread) and thus, basically say "everything else would dissappoint me to the point that I boycott it as the fellow fan that I am",

What the fuck????????????

Where do I say I would boycott the game over rockerboys? What the hell even leads you to believe that thats my position? Yes I would rather that if they couldn't do them right, that they not be a playable Role, but that doesn;t mean I am going to boycott the game over it. I have stted only two things will keep me from buying the game... if it's turn based combat, and if it doesn't have drivable vehicles. That's it, those two things and those two things alone. And the drivable vehicles thing was mostly hyperbole... mostly...

Would poorly implemented roles dissapoint me... yeah, but dissapointment does not equal boycott...

Especially since I also have a thread where I detail how the roles COULD be properly implemented, and interact with each other.
http://www.cyberpunk.net/forum/en/t...and-fitting-them-all-together?p=7749#post7749

then, honestly, it is you saying "Let's axe it because whatever". Or rather "Let's axe it because I won't accept anything else". I completely understand that there are certain rules that apply to each and every role, and these should be taken seriously. But you recognized yourself, it will be difficult to implement certain roles in the game in the way they are in the PnP.

I was very specific, saying the mechanics for doing rocker properly would almost be a seperate game unto itself... and if that was too difficult to implement then yes, it should be eliminated as a PLAYER role... Otherwise people who do want to play the classic rockerboy, are going to be disappointed.

NOT because I dislike the role, but because doing so will require pretty serious mechincs revolving solely around it... playing instrument animations, concerts, a band, etc... Resource wise, by necessity, a Rockerboy presented any where near how they are presented in the book, would eat up more resources than any other Role in the game... Sure you could change the role, but how much change do you think you can implement before it's not a rockerboy, and is instead something else. Your own misconception of Rockerboy was just a straight Nomad. If you make him just a face man, then what seperates him from a Fixer or a Corp? Maybe he can be an all new role, lord knows I restructured the Roles with my re-write of the Cyberpunk rules, Interlock Unlimited, and I did eliminate Rocker, breaking it into two separate roles, Artiste to cover the performer angle, and Instigator, to cover the activist angle. But regardless of the polls, or IU's blessing from Mike, the chances of CDPR adopting Interlock Unlimited as their rule guide seems pretty low to me. The books present Rockerboys as a hard rocking activists... take away that, and they aren't a Rockerboy they are something else entirely.... which I would be cool with, but don;t call it Rockerboy. A bow is a projectile weapon, but it is not a gun.
And my personal opinion is simply that if such a case is the case, then let's just be a little bit more open minded and see what CDPR (And Pondsmith) will do with it.

I am open minded, and I do understand that they can't do a complete translation... which is why my opinion has been, if they can't do one aspect justice, it's better to eliminate it or replace it with something else, than to do a half assed job of it.

I understood by now what a rocker / rockerboy within the CP2020 universe is and I see that I had the wrong expectations about the role. But now it is you who's getting pedantic here and you know it. Again, with the above quote you say nothing else than "...and that's not what I will accept." You tell me you want the role, but you'd rather see it gone completely before you accept a Rockerboy class that has been changed from the source, "because it wasn't like that in the books!" And that is silly. It would be the same if my dog died, and I'd find out afterwards that it was the last Golden Retriever on the planet, and instead of getting another type of dog that may make me very happy too, I rather have no dog at all for the rest of my life.

Again, you are reading things into my words that aren;t there. Sure you may get another dog, and it most likely will make you happy, unless you get one of those yappy little rat dogs, in which case get a real dog. But you won;t be getting another Golden retriever, and you won't call you Malamute a golden retriever... If they want to change the class, or give us a different class, awesome... just don't call it Rockerboy if thats not what it is... A Dodge Viper is an absolutely beautiful machine... but it's not a lamborghini Countach, it''s not a Volkswagon Beetle, It's a dodge Viper.

Rockerboy as a role means something... if you change it too much, then the term Rockerboy no longer applies, it becomes something else. If you have cookie mix, and don't add chocolate chips, but instead add red hots, it's still a cookie, but it's not a chocolate chip cookie, it's a red hot cookie.

Understand?

Aaand again, you're thinking way too far. I'm well aware of all you say, and I don't know what you interprete into my posts, but even though I am unfamiliar with the CP2020 universe and gladly admit it, after seeing illustrations from the books, reading different texts on your website, finding out stuff about popular characters and places, I'm the last one here to say that they should dump the whole universe and create something new. People in here keep picturing me as someone who doesn't give a damn about tradtions and lore rules. And that's just so wrong. I do not want a "generic cyberpunk game" as you say. I want something that shows me that there's still stuff to discover in that setting and I am convinced that I will find what I want.

The reason I hold that opinion of you is because you keep calling me out and telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

By now I realized that the world of CP2020 - please, correct me, if I am mistaken - still has an overall gritty feel to it, a certain hopelessness and dark mood, but at the same time, is colourful in its appearance and vast and vibrant and full of possibilities. Not just a completely fucked up world with a bit of sentimentality, like Blade Runners'. There are endless possibilties, and excentric characters and sometimes crude humor, and I like that, even if I have no idea about the lore, and that is what I want.

Cool....

" It is YOU who should trust them. I should be skeptical, because I'm an outsider, but I'm not and that is what I mean with advantage. That's the only point you and I are clashing about.[/QUOTE]

I do trust them... when I jump in on something, It is either with pure speculation on how something might be handled or how I would like to see it handled, or to let people who have posted something that doesn't work with the setting why it doesn't work, before they get all excited about it...

The truth is, the only beef I have with you is that you keep calling me out specifically... There are lots of people here whose Ideas I don;t necessarily care for, whose focus on what's important with the game differes wildly from mine... Hell Sard, Redge, and I disagree almost constantly, and they are some of the ones here I feel the most kinship with in terms of understanding the original material. I consider them friends, other posters here I consider friends as well, some even contribute to my site... Eraser and Don Carnage chief among them...

Then there are posters who I don't care for, it took me a while to reach that realization, but it was hammered down pretty tight by their own actions and words. Not because of a difference of opinion, but because of how they express themselves.

As for you, I don't hold any ill will towards you. But if you call me out, and in doing so state something that is completely misinformed, I will step up and correct you.

As much as I want this game to be as close to Cyberpunk 2020 as possible, I also want it to be popular, and introduce a ton of people to the tabletop game, I want this game to be awesome and succeed every bit as much as CDPR and Mike do... For 20 years now I have been writing material for this game, and giving it away free. I do so because I love the game, and because I want to share that love with other fans. True I would love to see my name as an author in published material some day, and making some money at it might be cool too... but I do it out of love... and if this game fails, and the tabletop goes away again, then the last 20 years of work will just seem like a waste of time... and instead of me keeping a flame alive, it will seem like I was just beating a dead horse...

So yeah, while I am not monetarily invested in the game, I am as emotionally invested as Mike or anyone at CDPR. Which is probably stupid of me, but hey, you can't help who or what you love.

Top Bottom