Gameplay - depth vs complexity vs fun

+

• Total voters

We had a discussion on this topic before. I want to see this as well, though I want to see hard shells like Metalgear require actual repairs while combined soft armours with hard inserts would afford less protection, (having more gaps and a lower ablative capacity,) but you could swap out the plates for better longevity.

Good idea. Though since the story is low level I doubt wel be getting our hands on metal gear until perhaps late end-game or a max level chars only DLC. And even then its probably gonna be a clunky MK1.

Last edited:
Good idea. Though since the story is low level I doubt wel be getting our hands on metal gear until perhaps late end-game or a max level chars only DLC. And even then its probably gonna be a clunky MK1.

Well, Metalgear was both available in the origional book and it was pretty damn cheap. It cost 600eb for a full suit, new. It had the same listed price as an FN-RAL.

Adding a rope that you could tie someone witch adds an option to capture or disarm enemies without killing them.

There's already something similar in Cyberpunk 2020
Pursuit Security Inc. Webgun

It throw a net around the target (or hit the target with the ball around it, if it miss the shot)

Well, Metalgear was both available in the origional book and it was pretty damn cheap. It cost 600eb for a full suit, new. It had the same listed price as an FN-RAL.

Huh. Thats about as much as a bulletproof vest these days. In that case youve corrected me and Im bound to seek a suit thereof when the game comes out.

And, of course, it had that additional Arrest Me! tax. Often supplemented by the Shoot Me I'm Obviously Dangerous! tax. I always found that painful.

And, of course, it had that additional Arrest Me! tax. Often supplemented by the Shoot Me I'm Obviously Dangerous! tax. I always found that painful.

Which could work as I have a solo with a deathwish in mind for the game. Shes wanting to see how far she can go before the world crushes her.

Last edited:
Which could work as I have a solo with a deathwish in mind for the game. Shes wanting to see how far she can go before the world crushes her.

First fight. Just don't wear skinweave, don't use serious armor, don't boost your REF or BOD, carry a .22 pistol with intent and threaten every Booster you see with "Ultimate death!"

First fight. Just don't wear skinweave, don't use serious armor, don't boost your REF or BOD, carry a .22 pistol with intent and threaten every Booster you see with "Ultimate death!"

Nah, needs more bombastic. More edge. Would be a very short story otherwise. :V

That and Im a huge roleplayer and character development type so I dont like to make throw-aways, so a stubborn, dies-kicking death is the way to go. What kind of death will it be though I leave up to the game itself.

Last edited:
Aieee. Then whats the best equipped form of protection? Aside from the essential skinweave?

Yeah, -2 REF penalty while wearing it due to 'encumberance'. That is a big hit unless you started on 9 or 10 - or picked up REF boosts.

There is also the Door Gunners Vest, which has 20% more protection but 50% more penalty. However, Metalgear is fully enclosed and air tight. (I think...)

Pro's and Con's...

Yeah, -2 REF penalty while wearing it due to 'encumberance'. That is a big hit unless you started on 9 or 10 - or picked up REF boosts.

Can the penalty be mitiagted by a ripped as fuck character? Sorry if I say dumb shit, am not informed much about 2020/77 aside from what DataFortress and this website told me.

Add some Dorph, Blue Glass or Black Lace (or both if you're the real badass), and you're up for the quickest game ever lol.

Can the penalty be mitiagted by a ripped as fuck character? Sorry if I say dumb shit, am not informed much about 2020/77 aside from what DataFortress and this website told me.

Yes, the more your armor is heavy, the more your character will lose his/her reflexes.
It's usualy around 3,4 REF loss for the heavier armor if i'm not wrong, but (at least, in 2020) there are some implants aviable to "boost" your reflexes during a fight, so it'll up to you to balance your character properly.

Strength and size are not the issue, it's bulk, as I am about to explain:

Yes, the more your armor is heavy, the more your character will lose his/her reflexes.
It's usualy around 3,4 REF loss for the heavier armor if i'm not wrong, but (at least, in 2020) there are some implants aviable to "boost" your reflexes during a fight, so it'll up to you to balance your character properly.

Weight is actually a minor factor, it's the bulk and restrictive nature of the armour that is primarily at fault.

When I worked the doors I would wear a vest if I knew gangs would be around. Otherwise I didn't bother with it because it restricts the range of motion of your arms and torso. It saved my life a couple of time, but it made other fights harder...

In 2020 helmets applied similar penalties due to the reduction in field of vision and hearing.

Weight is actually a minor factor, it's the bulk and restrictive nature of the armour that is primarily at fault.
In 2020 helmets applied similar penalties due to the reduction in field of vision and hearing.

Yep. Weight only comes in in terms of fatigue.

-2 to REF, the typically worst penalty, isn't -that- big a deal for accuracy. You can get -3 for a Door Gunner's Vest, but it has the same protection as MetalGear and is bulkier - poor choice. MetalGear is clamshell armour, it's not fully enclosed.

You can offset the REF penalty by smartlinking your gun, getting a better than average smartlink to an existing gun, (COT), using a more accurate weapon, any of the above. If you are a pro, you're cruising in the 20+ skill range before luck is a factor. So -2 isn't the end of the world.

Where it will kill you is the -2 to initiative and -2 to follow-up moves. Lessay you and John Solo come across each other on a stalk. You both have wired-up reflexes of 11, ( shaddup Wisdom, we're pretending they aren't utterly maxed here, 11 is fine), Combat Sense 6 (Pros, but not elite) for a total of 17 added to a D10 roll. Average is a total of 22 on init. On a D10, that's not a lot of leeway.

If you give up 2 points of that 22 total, you're looking at losing on an average roll. You'd have to roll 3 better than your opponent on a D10 to beat him now. If he beats you, he'll have a wider gap between initiatives, which means most Refs will allow more moves before the second guy gets to go. Messy.

If you are elite, every point becomes precious against other players.

Now, against non-Solos, who cares? You'll beat them - you're a Solo, after all.

When I worked the doors I would wear a vest if I knew gangs would be around. Otherwise I didn't bother with it because it restricts the range of motion of your arms and torso. It saved my life a couple of time, but it made other fights harder...

So plain clothes armor is the ideal solution, yes? Gibson Battlegear and the like?

With gibson you still come across as obviously wearing armor... which is just asking for a fight. Unless you know for certain you are getting into a scrap, you don't want to wear obvious armor (among nomads and in the combat zone are exceptions to this rule, where armor is usually makeshift and part of every day attire.

Where it's really at is Tanaka (at least with CP Canon). Get yourself a tailored suit, armored in a way no one can tell, and you are good to go. Shit's expensive as hell though.

With gibson you still come across as obviously wearing armor... which is just asking for a fight. Unless you know for certain you are getting into a scrap, you don't want to wear obvious armor (among nomads and in the combat zone are exceptions to this rule, where armor is usually makeshift and part of every day attire.

Where it's really at is Tanaka (at least with CP Canon). Get yourself a tailored suit, armored in a way no one can tell, and you are good to go. Shit's expensive as hell though.

Yep-yep. Outside the Combat Zone or the Wastelands, it doesn't pay to advertise your armour. Style notwithstanding, some people make a point of looking huge and badass. Just as long as they can back it up and have friends to see behind them.

Unless you're going hunting or on a bar crawl, not much point in looking ready to shoot. Just attracts Cops.

Top Bottom