Sequel to 2077?

+
Sequel to 2077?

As much as I trust and love CDprojekt, do you think that they'll make a sequel to 2077, depending on how well the actual game goes?

And if so, what do you think they'll do with the sequel? Something a bit larger then Night City, such all of Upper Cali or perhaps a completely different type of setting?

Cyberpunk in space? Cyberpunk 2077: Nomad Style?

Given the effort they'll be putting into CP2077 and the fact that Night City has as many stories as it has inhabitants ... I'd be surprised not to see at least a considerable amount of DLC if not a squeal of some sort.
But for now how about we let them concentrate on CP2077 and let the future take care of itself.

I think we all would want more games in a cyberpunk style, so a 2077 sequal (2078?) would be welcome. But as said, it is a bit early at this point.

Hmmm 2077... 2078... and the original post in this thread was posted on the 15th of October... 15th October in 1385 the Battle of Valverde is fought between the armies of Portugal and Castile. Coincidence? I think not!

( 2077 + 2078 ) / 1385 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Nowadays, it is always sequels and sauce, as long as a new IP doth well in the shoppes.

So, yes. Likely.

You know, it is fairly early to be thinking about a Sequel - then I suppose I should shift this topic to DLC. Thoughts? The reason I bring this up is because going off CDprojekt's other projects, they don't seem to be a fan of DLC.

We first have to see how well CP2077 does.

While the folks here are (obviously) huge fans of the IP, we'll need to see how the general gaming audience receives this game. Wouldn't behoove CDPR to make a sequel, if this one doesn't sell.

One thing at a time man, we still need to see how CP77 will turn out. I will say however that if all goes well (with the story, missions, sells, ost, characters, etc) that there would definitely be a sequel (just like the Witcher Series).

if it bombs out then probably not.

however, the genre hasn't had a good game pretty much since DX:HR, which while decent wasn't nearly as good as the original DX. So coupled with that, so long as it's not a complete bumbled up sham of crap (which I doubt due to CDPR's focus on decent quality in the witcher series) I would be surprised if there wasn't.

All of that said, let's wait for the first product eh?

Cyberpunk had a few good games but it was always a kind of niche genre. Let's hope that CP2077 breaks sales records and becomes a trendsetter.

Top of my head:
Beneath a steel sky
Deus Ex 1 & 3.
Blade Runner (lukewarm)
Dreamfall/longest journey

There are a lot more games but they are goddamn awful

Last edited:
I'm sure it will.

People probably said the same when the first Witcher came out. Or any other IP to be honest.

But now that CDPR have proven themselves to be a leading game dev I can't see why there wouldn't be a sequel.

Lets hope so, but lets get 2077 out there first.

They said they wanted to make "Cyberpunk" a video game licence, so you can expect a lot of games to milk the cash cow out of it.
Currently there is a revival in Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, etc...
The trailer has more than 6 millions view.
Everyone seems to be hyped for it (even when they don't know jack about the actual IP), they just see cool cyborgs and big guns.

If the gameplay is worth it and please a somewhat large audience, the game will sell, and so, they'll work on a sequel or some alternative things related to the background (corporation, corporative war, netrunning, etc...)

So yes, you can expect a sequel if things works as planned.
And I think, unless CDPR fail hard and gives us a broken and boring game, that it will sell pretty well, the market is ready for this kind of game actually.

Let's hope that CP2077 breaks sales records and becomes a trendsetter.

Actually, I hope it'll stay somewhat in it's niche, we don't need 12342335 Cyberpunk's rip-off, with a lot of cool kids who never opened a book starting to apropriate the genre, that's how you kill a culture (like the mainstream punk, as an example).
As for every genre, you need to make it right for it to be good, that's why The Walking Dead is a good show, and most of the Zombie show/movie out there are garbage

"What? Zombies and Twilight sells? Goddamnit! Let's do a Zombwilight!", a few month later, here is your garbage:

But yes, if you're willing for "Cyberpunk goes surfing", "Cyberpunk goes to hollywood", etc... You'll be pleased, that's what happend when something goes "trendy"
The thing is, are you ready for "Cyberpunk meet Twilight" ?

Last edited:

Forum veteran
I hope not.

No matter how good or bad the game ends up being, I'm sick of sequels. It traps developers in an IP rather than letting them explore other ideas that might end up being even better. That's why the occasional rumors of a fourth Witcher game make me feel legitimately murderous. Also, a little piece of me dies every time a new Assassin's Creed game is announced; that horse has been beaten into a fine pink mist.

Case in point: we'd have never gotten Vampire: Bloodlines if Troika had spent all their time churning out Arcanum sequels.

Actually, I hope it'll stay somewhat in it's niche, we don't need 12342335 Cyberpunk's rip-off, with a lot of cool kids who never opened a book starting to apropriate the genre, that's how you kill a culture (like the mainstream punk, as an example)

As for every genre, you need to make it right for it to be good, that's why The Walking Dead is a good show, and most of the Zombie show/movie out there are garbage

Mainstream success does not preclude a good game. I know it's the hip thing now to be indie, but have you ever been to the indie art shows?

Casablanca had mainstream success, so did Scarface.

It's true that sometimes genre gets diluted,but that's a quality called leadership. At least part of what makes a good writer is communicating. If the genre gets diluted, it's well, because the original writers didn't do their jobs.

To paraphrase Heinlein:
"An artist who cannot sell his own stuff is an incompetent whore"

The problem is that people want fan service. Only shoddy and bad writers cater to their fans.

A GREAT writer/artist/filmmakers chooses the story THEY want to talk about AND they can make it great. Even if its cyberpunk meets twilight.

If westerns didn't achieve mainstream success, we would not have had spaghetti westerns and no Sergio Leone trilogy. If in Japan, cheesy nynkio film didn't exist, we wouldn't have Battles without honor or humanity.

Illustration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk01eeKMD_I#t=26

Last edited:
Top Bottom