Cyberpunk 2077 Graphics - thoughts

+
Tarathelion;n7444200 said:
You cannot release the game as pro scorpio exclusives atm, you need to develop them for base versions. These rules are imposed by Sony and Microsoft respectively. That pretty much mean you will see the game developed for pc, PS4 4, XboxOne and with versions for pro and scorpio

Ah, thanks for correcting me. :)

I don't really care about graphics beyond going overboard with it to the length of it limiting what all you can do with the game (when the lions share of the memory and processing power goes to draing those shiny things on screen rather than other ways of using it - I'm not a tech wizard but I've heard it could also be used in world dynamics). Hope they don't try to go that "We want to make the best looking games in the industry!" route. Graphical quality from past years are just fine.

kofeiiniturpa;n7444640 said:
I don't really care about graphics beyond going overboard with it to the length of it limiting what all you can do with the game (when the lions share of the memory and processing power goes to draing those shiny things on screen rather than other ways of using it - I'm not a tech wizard but I've heard it could also be used in world dynamics). Hope they don't try to go that "We want to make the best looking games in the industry!" route. Graphical quality from past years are just fine.

I compleatly agree with this. :)

Also... I really don't care if a game runs in 30 frames per second... or 60... or 274 or something... it has little impact on my enjoyment and immersion of a game. And I know that might sound controversial to some, especially amongst the PC gamers out there (a group which I do compleatly belong to). I just don't notice those things as much... and sometimes at all... as other people do. XD

I mean I like when games look good and all, and I will usually try and play games on as high of a setting that I can force my computer to grind out (I actually tend to have slightly to high settings then I should, especially the texture settings... I tend to max texture settings, and then tamper around with the other settings untill I find something which works... with things like anti-aliasing being some of the first things to get turned down, or compleatly off, if that helps... with my new computer that is not that much of a problem anymore though, but AA is still the first thing I tend to tamper with if it is not running as well as I would like)... but the graphics does not matter to me that much that I would want it to be the most importent thing for the devs.

Things like that, the graphics, is things I might expect out of games like Crysis, or Farcry, or Battlefield, etc... but not from a RPG game. Other things matters to me a lot more in RPG's then graphics do.

Last edited:
RLKing1969;n9381471 said:
I hope the graphics are as good or nearly as good as the trailer....SOOOO FREAKING BEAUTIFULLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
I'm not so sure we can even hope for that. Not with a dense open world and a wide and deep city environment. Not on consoles at least. (no platform wars, go back to neogaf with such thoughts dear reader)

Last edited:
Witcher 3 was only 900p on xbox one in 2015. If they want better graphics they can lower the base console xbox one to a 720p resolution. Then the Xbox one X can run this at 1440p ish. The same with ps4 and ps4 pro.

They can scale back the resolution to drive better performance across a much more graphical game. I hope they do this imo

RLKing1969;n9381471 said:
I hope the graphics are as good or nearly as good as the trailer....SOOOO FREAKING BEAUTIFULLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
Not a chance. That was a pre-renderd scene. Even the best PC you could buy would choke trying to do that on the fly.

Guest 4149880

Considering they're working with Umbra engine and a technique called Occlusion Culling, its very likely they can achieve a high level of detail of a large space without sacrificing more than they want too. Night City is a dense city landscape where a lot of what you can actually see at a long distance is quite limited due to buildings and structures close around you. With Umbra technology, the game only renders what the player is actually looking at within an instant, while everything out of view from the opposite side of what's being rendered, the side view and behind the players camera angle is virtually not even there. Its pretty cool tech and its not exactly new but its really being used quite a lot now.

I think it would work very well in Cyberpunk 2077 because while it is a massive city, the player can really only look as so much in a moment anyway, therefore giving CDPR the ability to build so much while saving space and memory in the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h4QgDBwQhc

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really a matter of "how much" and "how detailed" the scene that needs to be rendered is.
A single room with lots of detail (i.e. individually rendered objects you could interact with) will choke a system every bit as quickly as a mountaintop vista.

Guest 4149880

It seems to work in the Witcher 3, even better in a city setting.

BeastModeIron;n9554331 said:
It seems to work in the Witcher 3, even better in a city setting.
And how many of the objects in most locations in W3 could you interact with?
If it's basically just a background painting that's not a problem at all.
The hope is that in CP2077 we'll have more ability to interact with the environment then we did in W3.

Hi,
I guess nights can be used as advantage.
See less, render less.
Also, there could be mechanics to get extra time - e.g. player eye blinking, car taking a while to start, ...
Depending on interactions with world, you could "predict" and unload some "things" -e.g. - if player is in car, unload collision meshes for small objects.

There could be hacks as so:
- instead of generating clouds as particle effects at cost of processor power, these can be defined e.g. by inverted height map, etc...
- instead of creating shadows by calculating intersections of spawned light beams with objects, this could be done by something like (hour of day)*(shape of object)
(from hour of day you know sun position; and together with shape of object; object shape can be offset as shadow and projected on the ground.
Process from biggest objects to smallest; and skip processing objects with shadow union to those already projected.)

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9556621 said:
And how many of the objects in most locations in W3 could you interact with?
If it's basically just a background painting that's not a problem at all.
The hope is that in CP2077 we'll have more ability to interact with the environment then we did in W3.

In W3? Quite a lot. Regardless of the interactions, the tech can be used for moving objects in real time, light generation, and yes even interactable objects, its works across all areas as a whole, it has to because that's what it was built for. There is no debate here, all I'm talking about is how cool this tech is and how it would greatly benefit Cyberpunk. And the fact that Witcher 3 used these engine techniques proves it works even down to the smallest interactions, and the scale of W3 alone wouldn't have been accomplished without this technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphical fancy aside, I beg.. No, I demand resolution scaling option with advanced sharpening filters. It got quite a popularity since Doom 2016. Also, would be really nice to have more anti-aliasing options, including obscure MLAA.

Also, really miss old backed lighting from The Witcher 1 and STALKER as an option to gain some fps boost without losing too much in image quality. Or at least let us turn off shadows, that would work too.

Last edited:
I'm kinda hoping - if it is possible - that they release the game with a less highlighted graphical fidelity and more reasonable filesize, and add all those over-high-res textures and shit that has to be donwloaded for half a fucking day and will fry any machine without future tech as an optional patch; or, in other words allow the player to choose between a less graphically intesive game and "graphically full" game (and download the rest later if need be).

If nothing else, it'd be a nice gesture and would reduce the downloading times for people without NASA hardware (who do not need all those graphics options since they can't play with them on anyway).

metalmaniac21;n9566721 said:
Graphical fancy aside, I beg.. No, I demand resolution scaling option with advanced sharpening filters. It got quite a popularity since Doom 2016. Also, would be really nice to have more anti-aliasing options, including obscure MLAA.

I would second this as a great technique to spend time on. I resolution scaling is the single, biggest thing that can be done to increase performance. Being able to maintain fidelity with lower resolutions at fullscreen would be nice!

kofeiiniturpa;n9567331 said:
I'm kinda hoping - if it is possible - that they release the game with a less highlighted graphical fidelity and more reasonable filesize, and add all those over-high-res textures and shit that has to be donwloaded for half a fucking day and will fry any machine without future tech as an optional patch; or, in other words allow the player to choose between a less graphically intesive game and "graphically full" game (and download the rest later if need be).
If nothing else, it'd be a nice gesture and would reduce the downloading times for people without NASA hardware (who do not need all those graphics options since they can't play with them on anyway).

This is also a nice suggestion. Having the "advanced" graphics packages be optional when downloading / installing would benefit everyone (player's time, marketplace traffic, and bandwidth usage).

I like pretty graphics, but it's not super important to me. TW3 on PS4 still looks good two years later IMO, though subsequent games look somewhat better. If forced to choose between state of the art visuals and amount of interactive content ... I would lean towards more content. However, as with almost all design things it's not an either/or but rather finding the appropriate balance.

I suspect the game will be optimized for whatever the current generation of the consoles will be at the time of its release, at least that was the case with The Witcher 3. So, higher end PCs can use higher resolution, increase settings like draw distance or the number of background (non-interactable) NPCs, implement some additional effects (GameWorks), and achieve higher frame rate, but the assets are the same as on the consoles. Also, not much effort put into supporting PCs significantly weaker than the consoles (it is possible with TW3, but it may require tweaks not accessible via the game's user interface, and I do not know if things like rendering the 3D world at a low resolution but the HUD and menus still at 1920x1080 are possible). Therefore, I doubt if there would be separate lighting methods for low end PCs like STALKER's static lighting mode, which does indeed increase performance a lot, but it is a PC exclusive game.

Although it is an interesting question what consoles will be on the market when CP2077 releases, perhaps there would already be a newer generation, but with the current ones still in wide use? Would the game still support the original PS4 and XB1, or only the upgraded versions?

Edit: regarding the PC version, I wonder if it would require DirectX 12 (and thus Windows 10), or still support Windows 7 and 8? That is, with the game not releasing in the next 12 months, perhaps not before 2019.

Last edited:
They have to look at what the majority of their customer base uses in terms of consoles and PC specs.
Making a game that ONLY runs on the latest and greatest is foolish if only only about 50% (or less) of your customer base has it.

For graphics, there's really not much that can be done to make them even better than what's out now before you start reaching into uncanny valley. Though with 2077, they should take into consideration cybernetic eyes...and 8bit graphics.

Top Bottom