What other franchise should CDPR take over?

+
It'd be fun to see them do World of Darkness really well, but the game I would choose is Changeling, not Vampire, Werewolf or any of the others. Also, possibly, Mage.

If we're ignoring reality, I feel sure they could do a good job with the Fallout IP (but they will never do a game in that universe; Bethesda is quite serious about keeping the IP, and rightly so).

Mass Effect is a similar situation, where, unless Bioware decide to sell the IP off (unlikely!), they will never actually do a game in that universe, I feel that if they did, it would be very good, probably better than at least the last two offering, possibly even better than the original game.

Dune would be brilliant. There is a mass of canon to work with, an enormous scope for them to set the story in, and it has intrigue, combat, love, humanity vs technology, genetic engineering, religious exploration and whole host of other themes that could be entwined into the setting and story. Plus, I don't think they'd knock out a cheap clone of another game with it.

For a recent PnP to adapt to a CRPG, there is the Elite: Dangerous RPG, which is set in Frontier's "Elite: Dangerous" universe. Lots of canon from prior games, a lot of recent history in the current game, and it's quite gritty. Would definitely lend itself to the kind of morally ambiguous, shades of grey, storytelling they excel at. And the universe is big enough for them to have largely free reign, without treading on the toes of other authors or in-game events. Could even end up with some sort of in-game event (in E:D) as a reference to the events in the CDPR game.

Come to think of it, I'm rather hoping CDPR looks at what Bioware did with Dragon Age: Origins and creates the game THEY want to make. Unlike what's happened to DA since Origins CDPR would probably continue to make quality games similar to the first rather then being forced down lines that some idiot at a publisher decides is most profitable.

I'm not sure now, but.... CDPR actually works on CP 2077 and another AAA game, right ? So ? Not any rumors somewhere ? A kind of direction ?

Dune would be great sure. I would like to see some giants worms in the desert...

What about an horror open world game ? What kind of horror, well, I would like to say enough with vampires. They're fascinating ok, but using vampires these days is not really in a horror way.

And something in space. Horror science fiction why not. Several planets, the possibility to travel between each, with no loading screen.

I dont care if they use everytime something that exists, I dont think about video games, but books, role game just like now, movies why not (Ideas if it would be an original movie ?).
Better that than being lost in a some story you dont control. (I'm thinking of Assassin's Creed)

I get why some people want CDPR to create their own game, but you do not understand how complex that is. You have to roll the dice on the writers you get and hope they are good, because they are building a living breathing universe. They have to come up with genres, themes, characters, backgrounds, geography, history, lore, fashion, styles, music, relationships..etc..etc, then at the end, might fall flat if people do not like it. Even if you grab a good writers, there is no guarantee the work will be good. However, grabbing an existing IP solves a lot of problems. It has stood the test of time, has a built in fan base, an already built framework with its own in universe lore and rules in which CDPR can build on top of. Existing IP's are safer and a lot less work to do.

CyberUser;n9105540 said:
I'm not sure now, but.... CDPR actually works on CP 2077 and another AAA game, right ? So ? Not any rumors somewhere ? A kind of direction ?

It is official that they are working on another AAA game, but nothing has been revealed about that game so far, other than that it was planned to be developed concurrently with CP2077 and released until 2021. According to rumors, it is already in pre-production. But I am not sure if it would be a new IP or another "Witcher" game, since there have been hints from CDPR that while the story of the trilogy has been wrapped up, they still want to make more games in that universe.

Personally I could do without the "Doom" style combat but I understand lots of people will love it.

Azriel7
they already know they have good writers. and while having the witcher books and cyberpunk games as a base helps a lot, they do a lot on their own. visually the whole witcher series is their creation and so are a lot of the stories and characters, especially in the two expansions. and since the main team is working on 2077, really all they can do on the second project is figuring out the very basics. they have time.

sv3672;n9164190 said:
But I am not sure if it would be a new IP or another "Witcher" game
I believe they specifically said it's not a witcher game, but I would be hard pressed to find a source.

They should buy white wolf rights and make a new Vampire: Bloodlines. I would kill for such a game.

twin peaks is another great franchise. murder mystery game. really is a shortage of those kinds of games..

I bet they'll go with somethings that has a broad demographic, you know what'm talkin bout. The "big boss" said they're hopefull that CP2077 might be even more susscessful than witcher because of its genre.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9188211 said:
I bet they'll go with somethings that has a broad demographic, you know what'm talkin bout. The "big boss" said they're hopefull that CP2077 might be even more susscessful than witcher because of its genre.

i hope so. i mean cyberpunk has always been the most appealing setting to me but i feel like most people prefer the D&D fantasy setting more.

animalfather;n9188281 said:
i hope so. i mean cyberpunk has always been the most appealing setting to me but i feel like most people prefer the D&D fantasy setting more.

The simpler it gets, the broader will be the demographic. The medieval setting is simple to imagine: a warrior fighting in a war. But when you think about the future, there's not a single isolated idea, there are tons of them. The future can be a robot shoting lasers, or a cyborg flying with his car, that's why from the point of view of marketing keeping things simple even in this universe is a smart idea.

They mentioned this in interviews, and they'll probably go with this principle, it'll be a future but it will keep in touch with our reality, that'll give the feelling of a simulation.

Simulations are attractive to the general people. GTA is based on our world and it sold like hotcakes. A game like GTA gives people the freedom they want in a world they already know, this is a powerful idea. The Cyberpunk setting is this idea incarnated on steroids. Cyberpunk 2077 will give people the freedom they want in a world they want.

Last edited:
Vampire:The Masquerade franchise would be nice. V:TN Bloodlines was one of the best cRPG ever, if somewhat bugged.
They have also writters skilled enough to start their own IP.
But I hope they stick to Cyberpunk for the nearest releases and we'll see CP 2077, CP 2080, CP 2083.

Okay, I would be interested to see the game of their very own. But since it's not an option here, let's think of something else...

Vampire Bloodlines made by CDPR? Sounds awesome!
Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy could be one idea? I absolutely loved those books!
Lord Of The Rings has been done million times, I know, but I haven't yet seen the game that pleases me.

For OP,

I feel that CDPR should do whatever series, new IP or otherwise, that appeals to their strength as game designers.
I have my own idiosyncratic ideas of what I'd like to see them take over, games nobody's heard of like "Drakan: Order of the Flame" or "Requiem: Avenging Angel".
But that's fully out of my desire to see those series return out of what is mostly my nostalgia, not thinking what would be great game in the here and now.

After Blood and Wine, I'm confident they''ll do well, story wise, with whatever setting they choose.

My concern is going FPS, the FPS market has extremely high standards when it comes to FPS action and game play. It's irrational and unforgiving.

Azriel7;n9163230 said:
I get why some people want CDPR to create their own game, but you do not understand how complex that is.

I feel that is completely wrong.
First of all, with Blood and Wine, CDPR has shown that their writing team is excellent.
Second of all, it is much harder to work around an existing IP than creating a new one. Creating a new IP leads to creative freedom, following an existing IP requires constantly taking the history of the IP into consideration for gameplay and story.

WIth a new IP, a game designer and story writer, working together, constantly are asking each other, "does this combination of story and game-play work well in our game?"
WIth a licensed IP, they are constantly asking each other, "does this combination of story and game-play work well within the current IP of our game? If not, what do we have to compromise?"

The strength existing IP's is they have a built in fan base. Nothing more, nothing less. It's basically targeted advertising.

Top Bottom