CDPR hack topic/Ransomware discussion. Be COOL, my Stainless Steel Ratlings. -Sard

+
On the topic of the whole thing being a PR stunt - no, it's not.

They officially reported it as a crime to Polish authorities. I don't think they would take that much risk (of being busted by police on providing fake evidence and filing fake crime reports) just to gain some publicity around CP2077.

metalmaniac21;n8862510 said:
I wonder what did those "hackers" showed as a proof. If you're looking for ransom money, you wouldn't play your cards right away, but it's not like they sent a "kurwa gives us moni or riot" email.
And how does the project that kept in secret for so much time succesfully up to this day now in such danger?

And what does mean "old and unrepresentative"? Again, same old story, the script will be rewritten by a different person like with The Witcher 3 just for the sake of old docs being unrepresentative? I don't even focus on that the game will likely delayed up to plus six months to whatever planned release date.

Are you seriously implying that they rewritten script for The Witcher 3 just because of the leak? In fact, even saying that the entire script was rewritten is a nonsense, since most of the story and quests remained relatively unchanged, aside of some things that were a design changes (like making quests structure less linear), smaller rewrites, stuff removed due to lack of time to properly finish it or for quality reasons.

Shavod;n8862920 said:
Are you seriously implying that they rewritten script for The Witcher 3 just because of the leak? In fact, even saying that the entire script was rewritten is a nonsense, since most of the story and quests remained relatively unchanged, aside of some things that were a design changes (like making quests structure less linear), smaller rewrites, stuff removed due to lack of time to properly finish it or for quality reasons.
Yes. Not Witcher, but CP2077 sure can be rewritten.

"7 Ways to Build Hype Months Before Your Business Launches"
- Pinpoint interests of your target market.
Knowing your target audience and everything about it is key to running a successful business. Being educated on your market can tell you which tools to use to make the biggest impact. What type of media channels is your target market most receptive to? Once you have determined this, you can create your brand’s personality to fit the mold and speak the same language.
If your brand was a person, what would they be like? What do they stand for? How are they relatable? Having a firm understanding of the target market’s interests and positioning your brand accordingly will get consumers on board early on to create a strong foundation.

- Keep audience in suspense.
In months leading up to a launch, be careful not give away too many details about your product or service. Keep in mind, building hype before a business launch is not about what your product or service does, but what it might do. The more information you give out beforehand can kill anticipation, and the hype will not be as strong. However, you do want to give the public small hints of what is in store to draw attention. Think of how you can creatively hold out while advertising small tidbits leading up to launch day.

*Wait for CDPR for leaking themselves their self-hacked files*

If those files are "old" or "irrelevant", they would just ignore it and not talk openly about it. Just like those character creators fan-art, call it bullshit and move on..

In the end, Cyberpunk 2077 had 9millions in public budget, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd plan on a massive viral campaign.
Because, honnestly, why hack CDPR to ransom them, why now? Why making press statement for some supposedly irrelevant files from years ago? There are way bigger companies to hack.
And I don't see the harm it could make to the game from releasing old obsolete artwork or game-design stuff (unless that's a way to release stuff, not being acused of "downgrading" or whatever as it was the case with witcher 3, also, by making public statement about it, it's a way to make those "leaks" relevant, when people would have called it "fake" otherwise (like those screenshots/character editor "leaked" on 4chan)

Now, if they were really hacked or something, that sucks.
But those kind of viral marketing things have become so common that I wouldn't surprised if this was the "reveal surprise" they talked about earlier.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/cd-pro...-ready-reveal-will-come-as-a-surprise-3454100
"The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. Its main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise."

Last edited:
Also did anyone notice that on the main page for cyberpunk.net where on the right is the orabge box that says afterlife and the box on the left that says checkout (which is a video blog page for the devs to post up videos and other things about the game) has been down since i checked it last night?? When i click on it it says "cannot establish a database connection" maybe theyre getting ready to throw something new up there??

It's not a stunt. CDPR takes this stuff seriously. As Gregski said:

"They officially reported it as a crime to Polish authorities. I don't think they would take that much risk (of being busted by police on providing fake evidence and filing fake crime reports) just to gain some publicity around CP2077."

So, that question should be thoroughly answered.

Not

A

Stunt.

Thread locked!

just kidding.

Maybe.

Sardukhar;n8866620 said:
It's not a stunt. CDPR takes this stuff seriously. As Gregski said:

"They officially reported it as a crime to Polish authorities. I don't think they would take that much risk (of being busted by police on providing fake evidence and filing fake crime reports) just to gain some publicity around CP2077."

So, that question should be thoroughly answered.

Actually, if we're debating if the press release regarding the leak is true, I suppouse that it's only natural that we also debate if this report to Polish authorities is also true, as it's slightly odd that at first instance only EuroGamer knew about this and the rest of news took the information from there. Usually big news network have their own sources and don't tend to get their information from another big news network.

I agree with you however if it was the start of the maeketing campaign when should we start to hear more in your opinion?? Gamescom maybe?? Also i think getting something at promisedland seems very likely...especially since its in poland....fingers crossed!!

MadqueenShow;n9002110 said:
Actually, if we're debating if the press release regarding the leak is true, I suppouse that it's only natural that we also debate if this report to Polish authorities is also true, as it's slightly odd that at first instance only EuroGamer knew about this and the rest of news took the information from there. Usually big news network have their own sources and don't tend to get their information from another big news network.

Unless a site happend to have been the one who got the actual interview or news thing or what ever, I tend to more often see those big game news sites "borrow" their information from other big gaming news sites, or other news sites which happend to get an actual interview or something with who ever it was. It's usually mentioned early on in the articles, things like "X game dev want to do Y thing, according to and interview X had with Y news site.", often with a link somewhere in there to the actual article.

As for EuroGamer... that is of course a European gaming news site, and CD Projekt Red is a European gaming company... and of you look at it all logically:

When is the most logical time for a company to release a statement about X thing? The answer would be sometime between their office work hours... which I would asume would be anywhere from 7am to 5pm or something (depends on when their day starts 7 or 8 am... how long their breaks and lunches are ( combined they are usually an hour, atleast in Sweden... 15 min breakfast, 30 min lunch, and 15 minute afternoon "Fika"-break... so I asume that maybe things are simmilar in an "8 hour work day" in Poland (aka, it actually being 9 hours in total due to the breaks and such)... most common work hours in Sweden are 7am to 4pm due to that)). That means that the time in North America, when a statement from a European company is released, would be anywhere as "early" as 10pm to 1am, and as "late" as 8-11 am. So there is a some what large chance that a site like EuroGamer, which probably have simmialar office work hours as CDPR has, will have several hours of time where they can be first with coming out with the news of what ever statement a European company would come out with.

I got an idea (I'm joking here, but only a little): Why don't we get hackers of our own, track down these douche bags and show them some "C.P Justice" in real time. Just like the scum bags that hack little old ladies for their pension money.

CDPR should take this as an opportunity to market the game.

They should release to the public some early concept arts a few weeks or months before the "big trailer", and so CDPR would pretend that such concept arts were the real leaks released by hackers.

This would be a magnificent strategy because we all know how human interest works. Everything that is illegal has a greater impact than what isn't. That's what creates interest: emotional impact.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9322881 said:
CDPR should take this as an opportunity to market the game.

They should release to the public some early concept arts a few weeks or months before the "big trailer", and so CDPR would pretend that such concept arts were the real leaks released by hackers.

I like the idea of turning something bad into something good, but if every time a company got hacked they released a bunch of info it's just encouraging bad behavior.

NukeTheMoon;n9323621 said:
I like the idea of turning something bad into something good, but if every time a company got hacked they released a bunch of info it's just encouraging bad behavior.

ha but heres the thing, in my strategy no one would know it was actually CDPR who "leaked".

Plot twist: CDPR will use exactly said strategy.

The problem with using a stratagy like that, would be that whole "Cry Wolf"-thing... where eventually nobody would belive them once they actually got hacked... which I guess would be partly a good thing, because nobody would actually check out the actual leak then... but... I think it would hurt their brand and reputation a lot more if they tried to pull off stunts like that. It's just not worth it I feel, especially for a company which already has such a good reputation and audience-reach as they already do have.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9323791 said:
ha but heres the thing, in my strategy no one would know it was actually CDPR who "leaked".

Plot twist: CDPR will use exactly said strategy.

I actually do see the point you're making, but the problem is rewarding the bad behavior.

People being able to go individually or in small teams and make a small dent in the behavior of corporations or governments is for them, an end unto itself.

It's entirely possible that the hackers never intended to get any money, but the story of their actions would be that much more spectacular which feeds their egos.

Side note: It would be cool if there's a mission where something like this happens in the game and you catch the bugger, and you can chose the various options; destroy his computer, beat him up, throw him off a building, etc. Would give me a chuckle.

Top Bottom