Aspects of the witcher 3 that should be applied/ignored

+
Suhiira;n9128630 said:
My big hope is they don't restrict our control scheme and UI possibilities to console limitations. Inventory wheels maybe be a brilliant solution for consoles, they're a totally unnecessary pain-in-the-ass on a PC.

I agree sir. I hope when you slam the ultra on you can see rain particles land on the floor and create a splash effect. I have a 1060 can easily handle it anyway lol

I debate on this a lot.

Witcher 3 I was okay with, but I had a pretty good rig. Even then, when it bogged down in a later patch, I admit it was frustrating.

So I'd love it if Cpunk had ass-kicking graphics...but not if I can't play them. Bug fixing is really key here.

I like the idea, which they didn't do for Witcher 3, of a beta test. Release a level or some MP and let people have it hardcore. Even build a specific one to test for people and see what different hardware an do to it.

No spoilers, gets people excited and lets them access a broad spectrum of platforms and configs.

I don't know if it has been posted here before, but I just remembered this video. a lot of it is talking about specifically beauclair, but it's still about CDPR making a city and all the challenges that brings.
though I wonder how the visual blockers (so that they only have to render a smaller area at a time) are gonna translate into night city. crooked streets (both horizontally and vertically) work in a medieval town, but when I think of an american city I see this. even sufficiently "cybered-up" you could see a lot and really far, which is problematic..

lord_blex;n9134750 said:
but when I think of an american city I see this. even sufficiently "cybered-up" you could see a lot and really far, which is problematic..

You raise a good point. This is Night City, at least in 2020. Lots of straight streets.

Yeah, large fields of view and particularly line-of-sight distances are HELL on graphics processing AND require a lot of work by the art folks. It's one thing to do rocks and trees in Skyrim and entirely another to do neon signs and dissimilar building types in a city.

CptFandango;n9055410 said:
Hello folks :)

Just looking for everybody's opinion of things from The Witcher 3 which should be in or out of Cyberpunk 2077, can be any aspect, story related, animations, gameplay etc etc etc.

In my view off the top of my head

Keep!

-quality of character development, writing, story lines, emotional investment.
-general all round polish and AAA factor
-realistic and emotionally convincing character facial animations (and bodily gait) given current tech of the time, don't hire the Andromeda person!!
-Difficult choices and decisions which leave you sitting there for ten minutes deciding on a dialogue option to the point of being immersion breaking (being asked if you should massacre 50 civilians or get the cure for a megavirus whilst things are blowing up in the background and its just on a weird loop animation in game waiting for you to click a dialogue option when In reality if it took that long to decide the explosion would have happened and the civilians would be dead, stop going on with yourself and leave the tangent mr fandango!)
-comedy and references (I got the king of dog shite reference :p)
-meticulously designed views and art in every scene, whatever angle you point your mouse, no copy pasted dungeon trawls and textures.
-wide range of performance options whatever system you have, top options fully exploit whatever hardware is out at the time of release but mid range options to run on older systems and dog turd ancient pc's can play smooth with minimum settings.

Ditch!

-awkward weird inventory, maybe add a search function? change it to lists in subsections I don't know pay a guy to make it good :D
-make some repetitive animations skipable
-make the combat realistic to be smooth with key binds (pause to read bestiary add oil and choose a decoction) to be fair this one is probably just me being shite...
-struggling to think of bad things about this game I give up

Theres a lot wrong with W3 gameplay it was terrible and poorly designed on all fronts. Focusing really polishing and testing the gameplay in Cyberpunk is my biggest recommendation for CDPR.

Eltyris;n9059750 said:
Positives are well known to developers so there is no point in repeating them, though storytelling should be more adjusted to sandbox/open world format.
90% of all problems in CDPR's games are related to design and execution gameplay/rpg systems.
- In general, gameplay should have a clear identity and purpose, and every aspect of it's design committed to it...every studio known for consistency in HQ gameplay has it's own "philosophy" when it comes to this ( At it's core, problem with all three Witcher games is trying to mix different designs inspired by other developers than end up contradicting one another) - Controls and Targeting systems should be completely redesigned, offering more responsiveness and precision. - Gameplay with a higher skill ceiling depending on difficulty, affecting enemy AI and base mechanics...see NG Black, Platinum games, Halo, etc - Loot should never be level based and instead more oriented on gameplay utility ( Souls series), characterization ( Baldur's Gate II), handplaced in the environment appropriate to challenge to acquire it - No artificial restrictions in rpg/gameplay systems invented to compensate for their poor design related to one another( you cannot do an action x in state y, "equipping" only certain number of skills , level restriction on items, etc) - Less hand holding with UI icons...use visual and audio design to guide the player ( luckily recent AAA show a trend toward this) - More complex quest design - Better transition, gameplay to dialogue ( no fade to black screen) - More "lean", less bloated progression and crafting systems, oriented on offering variety of playstyles instead of +x% passive bonuses. It is better to have a choice selection of interesting, quality upgrades than massive list of inconsequential ( and usually game breaking) ones. - ( This is more subjective but) no Arkham Style/automated lock on systems...this restricts gameplay in an open world and is more suited for, room to room, scripted encounters - more camera options, FOV, etc - ( Also subjective) but less color saturation, in some instances

I mostly agree but Arkham gameplay is fine for a 20 hour open world game not a 100 hour game. Arkham gameplay while automated and contextual design wise made sense for the game it was trying be(causal fun action game). The targeting system was very seemless(no forced combat stance or enemy Lock On and I am not talking about the manual lock on you can do) and precise(I never remember attacking the wrong enemy in Arkham Asylum or City like I constantly did in the W3 because of its horrible targeting system). W3 gameplay felt it was trying to be a werid hybrid of Dark Souls and Arkham City. The problem is these two games have radically opposite design goals that don't mess well together. Joab Gilroy professional games critics problems with W3 design similar to what I've said just more in depth.

https://youtu.be/75lZYTDK_sE

https://youtu.be/BLhiLRZ0MGc

Thats said for Cyberpunk it will probably more on third person shooter end and less similar to how the W3, Arkham, Dark Souls or any of these type of games. So yea CDPR should design gameplay with a clear goal(a challenging game or causal one you can't have both its impossible) not not a mish mash of different games that design philosophies clash resulting in a half baked mess.

BeastModeIron;n9113080 said:
Witcher 3 as good a game as it is, has one major drawback and its actually the gameplay. Its sluggish, and just the movement its very heavy. They obviously know this because of the added option to have an alternate movement which makes the controls a lot tighter and more responsive. Also the combat man oh man, I got killed more from clunky lock on and bad camera angles then enemies in the game themselves. And I think the inventory could use some clean up even as massive as it is, its clutter sometimes. Not hating but when you love a game you just want it to be perfect. CDPR learns quickly from what needs improved. SO I hope Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't get held back by some minor annoyances that could have been avoided.

Bad controls is something that CDPR keeps fucking up on and its getting pretty annoying seeing them fail on the same design mistakes over and over again on.

Last edited:
LegateLaniusThe2nd;n9144790 said:
Theres a lot wrong with W3 gameplay it was terrible and poorly designed on all fronts. Focusing really polishing and testing the gameplay in Cyberpunk is my biggest recommendation for CDPR.

I mostly agree but Arkham gameplay is fine for a 20 hour open world game not a 100 hour game. Arkham gameplay while automated and contextual design wise made sense for the game it was trying be(causal fun action game). The targeting system was very seemless(no forced combat stance or enemy Lock On and I am not talking about the manual lock on you can do) and precise(I never remember attacking the wrong enemy in Arkham Asylum or City like I constantly did in the W3 because of its horrible targeting system). W3 gameplay felt it was trying to be a werid hybrid of Dark Souls and Arkham City. The problem is these two games have radically opposite design goals that don't mess well together. Joab Gilroy professional games critics problems with W3 design similar to what I've said just more in depth.

https://youtu.be/75lZYTDK_sE

https://youtu.be/BLhiLRZ0MGc

Thats said for Cyberpunk it will probably more on third person shooter end and less similar to how the W3, Arkham, Dark Souls or any of these type of games. So yea CDPR should design gameplay with a clear goal(a challenging game or causal one you can't have both its impossible) not not a mish mash of different games that design philosophies clash resulting in a half baked mess.

Bad controls is something that CDPR keeps fucking up on and its getting pretty annoying seeing them fail on the same design mistakes over and over again on.

Arkham Asylum style looks cool and feels cool, but if you look closely you can see a system which you can beat the whole game by repetitively pressing the same button. Because no other developer was abble to do a balance between both perhaps it doens't mean it is impossible.

But it's better to just stick with one gameplay system, and perhaps to make the system change based on the difficulty.

What about the map ? Do we have any chance to have separated maps for some reasons ? Maybe Night City, and a kind of waste land where live Nomads.

Witcher 3 is a better game than I could have hoped for, so whatever gripes I have are pretty minor. That said, for Cyberpunk 2077 I could definitely do with a better fall distance. Geralt breaks his legs jumping from heights that I can land perfectly fine in real life, and I'm no witcher. And I always felt it was ridiculous and immersion-breaking when I'd hop off a stairwell and he'd literally die. So I'd love to see this tweaked pretty heavily. Or at least offer us some kind of cybernetic enhancement to survive falls ;). Also, I hope they tidy up the UI a bit. Buying from shopkeepers in W3 was a chore because all recipes had the same icon; crafting stuff could only be organized alphabetically or by resources owned, not by level; vendor icons (even ones you visited, like barbers) didn't show up on the map; etc. Lastly, I think that in the post-Assassin's Creed/Breath of the Wild world, open-world games that don't feature a proper climbing mechanic really feel like cop-outs. Standing in front of a head-height rock wall with Geralt, only to have him jump against it and kick himself off - and then needing to run way off in one direction until the wall lowered itself to waist-height - was always frustrating and confusing to me.

There is, perhaps, one more significant wish I have for the game... While I loved playing as Geralt, I'd love to be able to create my own character. I imagine that might not be the case considering CDPR's tight narrative style though.

Last edited:
A tight narrative does make using custom characters difficult.
Most developers just skip it thus you wind up with a character with little in-game motivation, history, etc. It's really a matter of is the developer willing to put in the time and effort, most don't because let's be honest, outside the hard-core RPG crowd who cares? It's a matter of which audience CDPR wishes to attract, RPG fans or action game ones.

premiumlagerbeer;n9202221 said:
That said, for Cyberpunk 2077 I could definitely do with a better fall distance. Geralt breaks his legs jumping from heights that I can land perfectly fine in real life, and I'm no witcher. And I always felt it was ridiculous and immersion-breaking when I'd hop off a stairwell and he'd literally die. So I'd love to see this tweaked pretty heavily. Or at least offer us some kind of cybernetic enhancement to survive falls ;).
The absolut best way to handle something like this, in my opinion atleast, would be to have it be based around your characters relevant attribute + skill in Jumping (or what ever the skill may be named in Cyberpunk 2020, athletics?). That way, someone with low levels of the attribute and 0, or close to 0, in their skill would have a much higher risk of breaking their leg jumping down a limited height... vs someone with a fairly high level in both attribute and skill, which could jump down something much higher with some minor injuries at most... then add Cyberware to that amd you increase it even more.

Suhiira;n9203511 said:
I still favor the LifePath approach to creating a character background.

I think CDPR does as well. Looking forward to seeing whatever version makes it in-game.

Honestly, i think you should add a futuristic gwent mini game lol. I still havnt been able to get The Witcher III yet, so im not really sure what to say here. But all in all I do know I love me some gwent!

Sardukhar;n9203521 said:
I think CDPR does as well. Looking forward to seeing whatever version makes it in-game.
Just to add - it's not always necessary for every years of character's history to be reflected onto what's going on in the main game right now, BTW. Some parts should stay history.

metalmaniac21;n9204761 said:
Just to add - it's not always necessary for every years of character's history to be reflected onto what's going on in the main game right now, BTW. Some parts should stay history.

Not every year, or every event, of course. But it's quite too often that little things like this here is neglected because "it's not worth it" and people don't even know what they're missing. On a related note, you can infer a good bit of character history from your initial character build already, the skills represent what he's been doing in past life (along with Lifepath chocies).

Lifepath in the PnP has quite an amount of choices. I think they could well be categorized in "major" and "minor" events where the former bears choices that have heavier impact on the game (parents murdered, etc) and the latter none to some and mostly flavor (e.g. if you chose "Owned a cat" and "Lost a pet as a child" (or something), you might get a word in or a little unique encounter where cats are somehow involved).

And I've said this before, there absolutely needs to be a "ROLL" button to make an all random character.

Top Bottom