The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
So... I just binged Altered Carbon, finished the last episode a few minutes ago. And I have no idea what anyone else who has seen it thinks about it, or if people think it is Cyberpunk enough or what ever... I just know that I loved it! :D

So, for what it's worth coming from me (who tends to have a much wider spectrum then most others in what I like, and a much lower "bar" for acceptable quality compared to most others as well), it is a tv-series that I would recommend to any sci-fi fan. :)

So, I picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Pretty good game so far. Definitely more of an RPG than Skyrim ever was.

I'll wait a sale with that one. I'm not too interested in swinging swords in medieval Bohemia for 50€ right now, and I hear the game's still a buggy mess.

kofeiiniturpa;n10472042 said:
I'll wait a sale with that one. I'm not too interested in swinging swords in medieval Bohemia for 50€ right now, and I hear the game's still a buggy mess.

What country are you from?

kofeiiniturpa;n10472232 said:
Finland. Why?

I was just wondering. I know games are stupidly overpriced in some regions.

Anyway, I can't blame you. Even if the game was on sale, it's absolutely a niche title. It's got a lot more RPG mechanics than Skyrim, but it also has a lot of mechanics that will turn people off to it - the need to eat and sleep, the combat system, the quest system (NPCs will abandon you and go on without you if you run off mid-quest), etc.

Just browsing through comments under reviews makes this pretty clear. There's a lot to love, but also a lot to hate. The game does not respect your time. There is no quicksave, only autosave and manual saving via drinking a certain alcoholic beverage (which has its own negative effects that must be slept off if over-indulged). I spent 30 minutes questing before I started work today, only to realize I couldn't save manually and couldn't earn enough money in the starting village (no spoilers, but you don't stay there for long) to buy the alcohol I needed to save. So, I basically kissed that time investment goodbye.

That said, I'm not upset about it. I knew going into it that it was going to be a time sink, and I should have waited till after work to pick it up and really give it a go. Oh well.

Snowflakez;n10472432 said:
Anyway, I can't blame you. Even if the game was on sale, it's absolutely a niche title. It's got a lot more RPG mechanics than Skyrim, but it also has a lot of mechanics that will turn people off to it - the need to eat and sleep, the combat system, the quest system (NPCs will abandon you and go on without you if you run off mid-quest), etc.

I'm not really concerned about its nicheness. That's a good thing (and even then, I might think it's not niche enough). I'm just not into anything medieval right now, be it historical or fantasy. That's the biggest turnoff and it might affect my enjoyment of PoE 2 too when it releases in April. I've had enough of chaimails and broadswords and elves and fireballs.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10472512 said:
I'm not really concerned about its nicheness. That's a good thing (and even then, I might think it's not niche enough). I'm just not into anything medieval right now, be it historical or fantasy. That's the biggest turnoff and it might affect my enjoyment of PoE 2 too when it releases in April too. I've had enough of chaimails and broadswords and elves and fireballs.

Gotcha, I understand. I agree, medieval settings are getting a bit old. Still excited about PoE 2, though. :)

Fortunately, it does seem like the Cyberpunk genre is being revived. If CP2077 really takes off, you can expect to see other developers (not just AAA - quality Indie studios, too) follow in CDPR's footsteps. That Copper Dreams RPG looked good, for example.

Have you played Underrail? It's not Cyberpunk, it's more post apocalyptic, but that's a very fun, open-ended RPG if you can get past the graphics (Which I assume you can, given your enjoyment of FO1/2 and Baldur's Gate).

Snowflakez;n10472592 said:
Have you played Underrail? It's not Cyberpunk, it's more post apocalyptic, but that's a very fun, open-ended RPG if you can get past the graphics (Which I assume you can, given your enjoyment of FO1/2 and Baldur's Gate).

I have Underrail, but I haven't gotten to playing it yet.
Yeah, I don't mind the visuals. The graphics haven't spoiled me yet, if somebody still made a game that looked like this and it was as fun to play, I'd buy it over a modern blockbuster any day.

There are a few games already in the making that seem interesting enough to keep an eye out, even if not all outright cyberpunk.... Copper Dreams (like you mentioned), No Truce With the Furies, Phoenix Point, Wasteland 3, Obsidian's unrevealed project, Cyberpunk here (if it turns out any good)... So it's not a complete drought, but there is calling for more.

kofeiiniturpa;n10472782 said:
I have Underrail, but I haven't gotten to playing it yet.
Yeah, I don't mind the visuals. The graphics haven't spoiled me yet, if somebody still made a game that looked like this and it was as fun to play, I'd buy it over a modern blockbuster any day.

There are a few games already in the making that seem interesting enough to keep an eye out, even if not all outright cyberpunk.... Copper Dreams (like you mentioned), No Truce With the Furies, Phoenix Point, Wasteland 3, Obsidian's unrevealed project, Cyberpunk here (if it turns out any good)... So it's not a complete drought, but there is calling for more.

Oooh, thanks for mentioning those games - I hadn't heard of them. I've now added them to my watch list. NTWTF in particular sounds interesting...

Here's hoping 2077 doesn't disappoint!

I've decided I need to record audio of the walk from the front to door my work area at the factory and put it into a song. It's a blizzard of whizzes and whirs and beeps and bloops dee dops clicks and clacks. I feel like I'm inside of a machine, and it's kinda epic

Man, people are salty about Kingdom Come.

Complaints I've seen so far:
  • Can't figure out lockpicking minigame
  • Can't figure out weapon sharpening minigame
  • Can't figure out alchemy minigame
  • No female protagonist
  • Only caucasians (lack of diversity)
I'm enjoying the heck out of it, though. I love the complexity and the realism. You don't get many games like this nowadays.

Snowflakez;n10475372 said:
Man, people are salty about Kingdom Come.
Complaints I've seen so far:
I'd like to play, but the combat (and other elements) is far to "twitch" and "QTE" for me, so another game I'll just have to give a pass.
I can only hope CP2077 doesn't take a similar approach because if it does I'll have to give it a pass too.

Suhiira;n10476322 said:
I'd like to play, but the combat (and other elements) is far to "twitch" and "QTE" for me, so another game I'll just have to give a pass.
I can only hope CP2077 doesn't take a similar approach because if it does I'll have to give it a pass too.

You can ignore the combat for most of the game. Maybe even the vast majority of it, if I'm remembering what the devs said correctly. That's why I call it more of an RPG than Skyrim. There's almost always another way through a situation. In early promo material, the devs highlighted three main "paths" or archetypes the player could choose to focus on (these are not hard and fast rules) - knight, bard and thief/assassin. The thief is focused on stealth, skullduggery and such. Bard focuses mostly on speech, persuasion and avoids combat. Knight is self explanatory.

Right now, I'm playing a Charisma-focused character, and that in and of itself is a minigame. The armor and clothing you wear, how dirty it is, whether or not you're covered in blood, how tired you are, all effect your ability to persuade/bluff/intimidate people, in addition to your regular speech skills and perks.

I just think it does a lot of the things you guys have asked for in an RPG like Skyrim:

A world that reacts more to your character - if you have a reputation within a certain region for harming innocents and generally being a horrible person, people may run away from you when they see you. Additionally, like I said before, your appearance plays a major role in NPC impressions and how "scary" you are outside of speech.

A game that forces you to roll with the decisions you make, rather than savescum to have a "perfect" playthrough - mistakes are inevitable and they are part of Henry's (Main character) skill progression. This is because of the previously mentioned alcohol-based save system. You have to drink a certain pricey beverage (or make it yourself via alchemy) to manually save, or you can sleep in one of many beds.

Fast travel can cause random encounters. You stumble across a dead body and a nearby civillian thinks you killed them. You stumble upon bandits who want to loot you.

More realistic NPC behavior. Enemies don't fight to the death. If you are getting your a$$ kicked, you can surrender, and they will often do so, too. You can them choose from one of 5 options based on how you want to treat them.

With that said, I'm gushing a bit, and I understand it's not for everyone.

Top Bottom