The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Sydanyo;n8770890 said:
Updating the tech is absolutely acceptable.

...and they absolutely should.

Blade Runner 2049 will probably have some updated tech as well. I doubt they'll "bring back" the 80's with this new movie.

Does anyone here have high hopes for the Blade Runner sequel?

Neuronin;n8826600 said:
...and they absolutely should.

Blade Runner 2049 will probably have some updated tech as well. I doubt they'll "bring back" the 80's with this new movie.

Does anyone here have high hopes for the Blade Runner sequel?

Yes! Because I am dumb!

Villeneuve is good, although I've not totally enjoyed his movies, they are undeniably well-made.

I like Villeneuve, but you really can't trust Hollywood to get anything right; 9/10 times you'll be disappointed. Just look at what happened to the Terminator franchise post T2: Judgment Day. What a disaster. A quick cash grab is all that matters; to hell with creativity and innovation.

Do a quick Google Search for the term cash grab.

Urban Dictionary: When movie studios produce unnecessary and often poor quality sequels in order to obtain more money.

The phenomenon is so common that it has become the very definiton of the term.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n8844970 said:
Wait, I tought we were all polish. Should have finished Psycho Pass.

I don't live all that far away from Poland really, since I live in southern Sweden... I could probably be there in some several hours via train, or possibly ferry during the last bit. XD

Calistarius;n8845330 said:
I don't live all that far away from Poland really, since I live in southern Sweden... I could probably be there in some several hours via train, or possibly ferry during the last bit. XD

>Not going directly into the CDPR headquarters for a job application

What's your excuse?

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n8845690 said:
>Not going directly into the CDPR headquarters for a job application

What's your excuse?
You will get more then you bargained for here I think... XD

In short... like EXTREAMELY short for me... At some point, back at the end of the school year of 1995 ( end of 9th grade, so befor summer), I slowly started to go from being a creator type of a person, to slowly becoming more and more of a entertainment consumer type of a person. Not compleatly due to my own choice though. If you want to know more, press the spoiler tag... but be warned, it is pretty big. XD

It was not compleatly my own choice, even if it was pretty much my own choice anyway. It was both... I guess. XD

Towards the end of the 9th grade, when we where told to make a choice in what kind of education we would like to aim for during the next step of our schooling (we call it "Gymnasiet", 2-3 years long, semi-mandatory, takes place befor universaty for the ones who want to go on to that... and it is a stage that is very "work-related"... like if you want to become a car mechanic you can choice a program where you get to do that a lot, etc). I felt I wanted to go to some kind of art school thing, because the art-class was my favorit part of 7-9th grade (and I did get pretty good grades in it to... even for all of the stuff I traced, which was actually a majority of what I did, tracing images from Marvel comics... my teacher still gave me pretty high grades for those even though she knew I traced them, she said something about not having had a student befor who traced so detailed and good or what ever). But when the schools counselor was talking to me, befor we made out final choice, about my wish and choice of art-school he basicly said compleatly the wrong thing to me... he told me: "Think about job opportunities, and money."

Now the money thing is something which has never been a big motivating factor to me, like at all... and still is not. But the other thing, the job opportunities, that was the one which stomped the breaks down for me... because for what ever reason the only jobs I could think of that I could get going to art-school was either some kind of art museum (which I had no interest at all in, old art does not interest me one bit), and an art-teacher... and that was even though I was freakin tracing images from superhero comics! XD. And in my mind that last one, art-teacher, was one of the worst types of jobs for me, due to me not being very good at social stuff, and I was sure the students would compleatly run me over due to me not being able to control something like that. So I choose my second favorit class in school instead (wood class), and went into an carpentry education (furniture making with larger machines etc), and I sort of just fell away from the whole drawing thing from that point on.

After about a year and a half (out of 3) at that carpentry education, I felt that was not what I wanted to do... but due to that I was by now, and had been since 6-7th grade, REALLY sick of school, I really did not want to go an additional 2 years in school because of changing my education. So I decided to finish my 3 years of carpentry education, instead of changing and having to spend up to 5 years in total in Gymnasiet, and when the 3 years of carpenty thing was done I left school and that profession behind me and never worked in that industry.

The biggest loss from all this of course, was the whole art thing, drawing and what not... because from 1995 and maybe 8 or so years forward I drew almost nothing... and with having found new friends in Gymnasiet (1995-1999), and finding pen and paper rpg's and a lot of table top figure wargames with these new friends (late 95) which we played a lot, playing amature (small goals) Floorball with them as well (from 1996 to 2006), and finding Final Fantasy VII in 97 (which compleatly changed my video gameing habbits to what it is today), and finding various tv-series and films and what not which really hit home for me, and finding Fallout 1 and 2 around 2001 or so (which started my transition from being a console gamer into becoming a pc-gamer)... due to all that the whole "creation vein" in me got smaller and smaller as time went on, and my consumer vein grew bigger and bigger. Then around 2003-2005'ish I tried to restart the drawing stuff, and did draw and paint a bit, but never a lot, and since then it has become less and less again.

The last big "proper" things I painted, and finished for that matter, the thing I am today the most proud over the finished product of (my nr 1 favorit thing I hve done), was first drawn on paper back in 2005, and was then scanned and painted somewhere around 2008-2010'ish... since then it has mainly been very small stuff, and mostly image manipulation stuff, and nothing has been on the level of the last few proper things I did... although... technicly I did one "big" one a year or two ago for this forum, but that was just a halfbad stick figure thingy... XD Unfortunatly some of the stuff I have made on the computer is not available anymore to me, atleast not the original larger files, since most of that stuff now resides on an external harddrive that died on me about 4-5 months ago... the little of the computer made stuff that I have left are smaller images then the originals, on my photobucket... which includes my nr 1 favorit thing I have done.

I do think the fact that I have aspergers probably played part in why things ended up like they did though... why something as simple as "Think about job opertunities, and money" could compleatly derail me from the path I initially wanted to go with art and what not. But, I was not diagnosed with aspergers until fall of... 2014 or 2015 I think it was... up untill that point I had no clue at all why I was, and am, the way I am with a lot of things. But, to a degree I don't know if I actually would want to change my past though... because thanks to what that guy said, I ended up on a path where I met the friends I have (both offline, ads online when I started having a more permanent presence here online from very late 2002), I found the hobbies I have, and what not... and I don't think I would want to change that really, even though it might have ment that I actually ended up maybe working as an artist of some kind, or game developer or what ever.

AGHGHGH! I pressed the Spoiler tag! MEIN EYEN!
Err..I kind of like carpentry? Probably cleaner than being a game dev, which sounds very...stressful.

Calistarius;n8848260 said:
You will get more then you bargained for here I think... XD

In short... like EXTREAMELY short for me... At some point, back at the end of the school year of 1995 ( end of 9th grade, so befor summer), I slowly started to go from being a creator type of a person, to slowly becoming more and more of a entertainment consumer type of a person. Not compleatly due to my own choice though. If you want to know more, press the spoiler tag... but be warned, it is pretty big. XD

I enjoyed the reading, brave of you to open up like that! Now a little piece of your story is with me. Hey, just accepting the way things are is what makes people less miserable. Keeping expectations very low also helps with that, just like Schopenhauer mentioned in Emptiness of Existence:

The scenes of our life are like pictures in rough mosaic, which have no effect at close quarters, but must be looked at from a distance in order to discern their beauty. So that to obtain something we have desired is to find out that it is worthless; we are always living in expectation of better things, while, at the same time, we often repent and long for things that belong to the past. We accept the present as something that is only temporary, and regard it only as a means to accomplish our aim. So that most people will find if they look back when their life is at an end, that they have lived their lifelong ad interim, and they will be surprised to find that something they allowed to pass by unnoticed and unenjoyed was just their life — that is to say, it was the very thing in the expectation of which they lived. And so it may be said of man in general that, befooled by hope, he dances into the arms of death.

How foolish it is for a man to regret and deplore his having made no use of past opportunities, which might have secured him this or that happiness or enjoyment! What is there left of them now? Only the ghost of a remembrance! And it is the same with everything that really falls to our lot. So that the form of time itself, and how much is reckoned on it, is a definite way of proving to us the vanity of all earthly enjoyment.

That human life must be a kind of mistake is sufficiently clear from the fact that man is a compound of needs, which are difficult to satisfy; moreover, if they are satisfied, all he is granted is a state of painlessness, in which he can only give himself up to boredom. This is a precise proof that existence in itself has no value, since boredom is merely the feeling of the emptiness of life. If, for instance, life, the longing for which constitutes our very being, had in itself any positive and real value, boredom could not exist; mere existence in itself would supply us with everything, and therefore satisfy us. But our existence would not be a joyous thing unless we were striving after something; distance and obstacles to be overcome then represent our aim as something that would satisfy us — an illusion which vanishes when our aim has been attained; or when we are engaged in something that is of a purely intellectual nature, when, in reality, we have retired from the world, so that we may observe it from the outside, like spectators at a theatre. Even sensual pleasure itself is nothing but a continual striving, which ceases directly its aim is attained. As soon as we are not engaged in one of these two ways, but thrown back on existence itself, we are convinced of the emptiness and worthlessness of it; and this it is we call boredom. That innate and ineradicable craving for what is out of the common proves how glad we are to have the natural and tedious course of things interrupted. Even the pomp and splendour of the rich in their stately castles is at bottom nothing but a futile attempt to escape the very essence of existence, misery.

If we try to get a general view of humanity at a glance, we shall see everywhere a constant fighting and mighty struggling for life and existence; that mental and bodily strength is taxed to the utmost, and opposed by threatening and actual dangers and woes of every kind.

And if we consider the price that is paid for all this, existence, and life itself, it will be found that there has been an interval when existence was free from pain, an interval, however, which was immediately followed by boredom, and which in its turn was quickly terminated by fresh cravings.

That boredom is immediately followed by fresh needs is a fact which is also true of the cleverer order of animals, because life has no true and genuine value in itself, but is kept in motion merely through the medium of needs and illusion. As soon as there are no needs and illusion we become conscious of the absolute barrenness and emptiness of existence.

No man has ever felt perfectly happy in the present; if he had it would have intoxicated him.

Last edited:
Dunno that I'd trust urban dictionary to be the determinator of true definitions, but you aren't wrong about hollywood ruining old titles. Robocop comes to mind.

Here's hoping though. I've got the Voight-Kampf case with my collectors DVD of the first one. I need the second to be damn good

Corewolf;n8850350 said:
Dunno that I'd trust urban dictionary to be the determinator of true definitions

Well, it's the number one hit on Google search for the term cash grab, so I'd guess it has some validity.

Sardukhar;n8850000 said:
AGHGHGH! I pressed the Spoiler tag! MEIN EYEN!
Err..I kind of like carpentry? Probably cleaner than being a game dev, which sounds very...stressful.

Heh... "cleaner"... the kinds of stuff we did, and due to the machines we used, we tended to produce a huge amount of wood dust (as fine as flour is), and sawdust (thicker then the wood dust), and some woodchips and such as well. Not to mention that it was really loud as well. So for the machineshop we always had to use ear and eye protection, and some of the machines you needed faceprotection from as well. XD

You constantly had to be aware of your surroundings, because if you and/or others where not paying attention you might end up getting hit in the head from someone swinging around a huge 2-6 meter long board and/or plank... or... you might accidentally get your fingers or something into some of the dangerous bits of the machine. Like a friend of mine who accidenally shaved of a few milimeters of the tip of 3 or 4 fingers on his right hand due to not paying attention when using a milling table (you can use them to for example contour milling, which was what he was doing).

Another guy from the year or two years above me accidentally had his hand get cought in the clamping system of a... I don't know what it is called in english... but it's a drilling machine which has a large amount of drill mounts so that you can drill many holes at the same time (for plug holes and what not)... anyway... one of the clamping pistons, that holds on to the wooden board, clamped down onto the small bit of skin/flesh between the first and second knuckle on the outside of his pinkyfinger (apperantly that segment of the finger is called the "proximal phalanx"), and due to the pain of it he reacted by doing the worst thing he could have possibly done in that situation... quickly pulling the hand toward him self... which... resulted in him leaving behind a piece of the skin and flesh from that part of his pinky finger. It's like with cats, when they are playing or fighting with you, with their clawa out and what not... you NEVER pull your hand towards your self, and/or away frmo the cat, because that is when you will get seriously scratched... XD

One of my teacher was missing the last segment of his right index finger due to an accident with a table saw. I think one guy had his shirt sleeve get cought up in the drill on a virtical drill machine, but he managed to hit the emergency shutdown button befor anything bad happened. I remember as a kid in 1-2'nd grade being shown the woodshop at our school, where behind the vertical drill machine there was a newspaper artical cutout taped to the wall, which was about how a younger schoolgirl had her hair get cought in the drill, and how a small piece of her scalp had been ripped off... which sent chills down my spine when I read it (think that is partly why I was always so careful around the machines, both because I did not want to get hurt, and because I had started to grow long hair when I did my carpentry education). Numerous people managed to "polish" their knuckles occationally when using the beltsander, especially when sanding smaller pieces of things... "Damn, forgot my gloves, oh I am to lazy to go and get them... what could possibly go wrong?"... sanded knuckles could go wrong! XD

Other dangerous elements of the carpentry job could be that the piece of wood that your pushing through the tablesaw get's shot right back/out of the the thing because the wood got "caught" on the sawblade, forcing it backwards at a high speed... or the piece of wood get's stuck in the vertical drill machine and befor you have time to get your hands out of the way it raps you across the hands a few times first... simple things like slipping with the tools where you cut or stab your self, or hitting your finger or something with the hammer... the ever precense risk of getting splinters shoved right into your skin... the absolut worst kind of splinter injuries though are the ones where the splinter digs right in under the nail of your finger, that hurts like hell, had it happen to me once... then there are various kinds of liquids and what not that you use, sometimes together with shellac to glaze and put a harder surface and a nice shine onto the wood, which where really bad for you to breath in the fumes from. Heck, even the air system thing you used to blow away the dust and what not from the machines and what you where working on could be dangerous due to the speed of the air... getting wood dust in your eyes is not pleasent... and one guy did what we where told we where not allowed to do... he stuck a smaller nail (2mm thick, and maybe 4cm long) into the nozzle of the thing, to see what happend when he opened the airflow... that thing flew spining like a propeller halfway across the room and managed to got stuck in the wooden plank he was aiming for... not very deep, but deep enough to not bounce/fall off... XD

So yeah... "cleaner"... might not really tell the full story compleatly when it comes to carpentry... XD

Not that I mind all that... I never really hurt my self during those 3 years, at most it was maybe small cuts or splinters or something, the occational smaller wood piece that slipped out of my fingers and went flying as it was shot out from the tablesaw, a few pieces of wood that got stuck in the drill and hit me across the knuckles or something... but then I was always very careful when I used the machines... never skimped out on the protection and rules about how to use them, etc. And I did like working with the wood and all, and I was pretty good at it too (have always been pretty good, and/or had a somewhat natural talent, with creating stuff in general)... and it was creating things, which I do like... but it was just not the job for me I felt. I would not mind though the idea of maybe having a small garage or something with smaller versions of those machines so that I could build things I might need/want etc.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n8850140 said:
I enjoyed the reading, brave of you to open up like that! Now a little piece of your story is with me. Hey, just accepting the way things are is what makes people less miserable. Keeping expectations very low also helps with that, just like Schopenhauer mentioned in Emptiness of Existence:
That part of the quote in your spoiler, that you bolded, sounds pretty fitting for it I think. :)

And nah... I don't know if it's "brave" per say... it more comes down to survival and coping really.

A long time ago (12 years I think) I realized that not even the thought of potentually going homeless was enough to push my self through my problems (now I have never been homeless, and I have never been even close to it, I just dug deep into my self and looked at what things could potentually lead to due to X Y and Z things)... so I finally told someone about my problems (emailed a person at a unemployment type of project thing ("learn how to search jobs better" type of a thing) I was supposed to be at... had been there for about a month but had suddenly gone compleatly awol for 3 weeks... and thanks to that it lead to the unemployment office finally knowing that I had problems, etc)... that was the point I decided that I would for the most part be compleatly upfront about that I have some problems.

Also, when it comes to here online, even from befor I sent that email to that person some 12 or so years ago, I had already been going with a "compleatly honost" aproach to the internet... I had just goten permanent internet acces at home on new years of 2002, and encountering people here online I decided that I would rather be fairly honost about me as a person and what not, on the off chance that I would ever happen to meet some of them (even though most of them lived in North America, and some around Europe, I don't really have any Swedish online friends though)... because I have never liked the idea of meeting someone from online only for them to go "Hang on... you said you where this, this, and this! You're none of those things at all!"

So due to those things, internet, and choosing to tell people who can potentually help me with things (like the unemployment office, etc) about my problems, etc... means that I have since 2003, and 2005'ish, been very open about things like this... because for one I think it is very helpful for you and other people here online to know that "Oh... yeah... now I understand why he write massive tome sized (and often off-topic) posts", and for another it helps me as well in a lot of ways. XD

So yeah... I don't see it as bravery... it's a way for me to cope with things, to survive sort of... be it personally, socially, or financially... XD

Last edited:
Neuronin;n8850840 said:
Well, it's the number one hit on Google search for the term cash grab, so I'd guess it has some validity.

Actually... the first hit for me is not urban... it's wikipedias other page, "Wiktionary", a page I would trust a lot more then Urban dictionary... Wiktionary says this about "Gash grab".

Calistarius;n8854600 said:
That part of the quote in your spoiler, that you bolded, sounds pretty fitting for it I think. :)

And nah... I don't know if it's "brave" per say... it more comes down to survival and coping really.

A long time ago (12 years I think) I realized that not even the thought of potentually going homeless was enough to push my self through my problems (now I have never been homeless, and I have never been even close to it, I just dug deep into my self and looked at what things could potentually lead to due to X Y and Z things)... so I finally told someone about my problems (emailed a person at a unemployment type of project thing ("learn how to search jobs better" type of a thing) I was supposed to be at... had been there for about a month but had suddenly gone compleatly awol for 3 weeks... and thanks to that it lead to the unemployment office finally knowing that I had problems, etc)... that was the point I decided that I would for the most part be compleatly upfront about that I have some problems.

Also, when it comes to here online, even from befor I sent that email to that person some 12 or so years ago, I had already been going with a "compleatly honost" aproach to the internet... I had just goten permanent internet acces at home on new years of 2002, and encountering people here online I decided that I would rather be fairly honost about me as a person and what not, on the off chance that I would ever happen to meet some of them (even though most of them lived in North America, and some around Europe, I don't really have any Swedish online friends though)... because I have never liked the idea of meeting someone from online only for them to go "Hang on... you said you where this, this, and this! You're none of those things at all!"

So due to those things, internet, and choosing to tell people who can potentually help me with things (like the unemployment office, etc) about my problems, etc... means that I have since 2003, and 2005'ish, been very open about things like this... because for one I think it is very helpful for you and other people here online to know that "Oh... yeah... now I understand why he write massive tome sized (and often off-topic) posts", and for another it helps me as well in a lot of ways. XD

So yeah... I don't see it as bravery... it's a way for me to cope with things, to survive sort of... be it personally, socially, or financially... XD

I'm somehow truthful in here with my opinions and skepticism, I don't have aspergers though.

Calistarius;n8854600 said:
Yeah, but figuring out how to do that, how to cope and deal with your issues is a damn hard struggle sometimes. So figuring it out is brave. And being able to be open about yourself, especially on the internet is brave as well.

Well, I do appreciate you and others saying that. I guess it can be difficult for someone who is "in it" like I am to see it for what it might be... even though I compleatly understand what you mean by it. XD

An apology to the moderator

So the other day i got upset about some things on this forum and i let my emotions get the better of me. Im not too proud to admit when i am in the wrong. I made some comments indirectly about some people on this forum and directly at the moderator...sardukhar. Some things frustrated me at the time and i made a bad judgment call. Its not my place to say such things about someone i know very little about. I am sorry. I have some personal things going on in my life right now. I just lost my mother to a 3 year long battle to cancer. Instead of dealing with it like a man i came on this board and blatently attacked the moderator with misguided aggression and for that i am truly sorry. I turned it into a personal attack on him and for what i honestly dont know. Just needed to lash out i guess. I feel terrible about it. Im not looking for any pitty here or anything like that. I just needed to aplogize formally and say i was wrong. My bad guys. Sometimes life just gets in the way and we lose sight of who we really are. Im not a bad guy nor an overly aggressive one, so i hope my actions can be forgiven during a difficult time. I embarrassed myself badly, and one last time i just want to say im sorry. Im sorry sardukhar...and to everyone else. I hope i can still be a part of this community. I cant wait to play this game and it would kill me if i wasnt welcomed here anymore. So ya thats about all i got. My bad fellas.

DarthRaver8686;n9063960 said:
. So ya thats about all i got. My bad fellas.

'S cool.

We all fuck up. (Witness what happened when I tried to add this to the Forlorn Hope thread. Urrrr....I think I need an adult. Everyone's posts are comments now! Eri94 help!)

No problem.

You're still welcome here.

Everyone else, be nice to Darth, life is shit sometimes.

Gonna move this to Forlorn Hope, though - kind of the thing you say in a social setting anyway.

Last edited:
Soooooo Sard done screwed up. IF you are looking for your Forlorn Hope posts...they are somewhere in the 2000+ comments above. Yep! No idea how that happened! Don't drink and mod, kids! Well, I don't drink, but you know, don't anyway.

Hopefully a competent Techie or Runner will be along to fix it soon. If not, ahhh.....improvise!

Top Bottom