Pedestrians are vital

+
Pedestrians are vital

Pedestrians make the world feel alive and inhabited they are far more important than what game designers realize, since pedestrian flow and diversity has always been neglected in almost all open world games this far i hope CDPR dont make the same mistake. And its not just about the quantity of pedestrians but also the quality. Imagine walking in a world, where you see people of different shapes, sizes, heights, age, ethnicity, clothes ect.. Imagine that it rains and some people open umbrellas and some use a newspaper to cover their heads and some just walk in the rain. Imagine moms walking with kids or a babystroller. All these things make the world feel alive, and its far more important to a game than resolution or framerate or how big the world is.

Now this isnt the game designers fault, pedestrians are CPU bound and this gen the consoles have been heavily skewed towards the GPU and its a shame that the XboX didn't go with a Ryzen 7 CPU and we're stuck with overclocked jaguar cores once again. Just something to think about..

I doubt the street will be crowded, but as you recall there were people going about their business in the cities of W3. How many will depend on how much of a performance hit rendering them is.

I hope they opt for less dummyNPC's that only exist to fill a space like in Witcher 3 or GTA, and instead try to attribute some kind of interactivity to the people they throw in the streets. Random sets of loot to pickpocket (pools based on social class), (abstracted) interviews as a media, rallying up a crowd as a rockerboy, crowd control and street interrogation as a cop, trying to sell drugs and contraband as a fixer and so on. Little interactions that require initiating a skill check and accompanying animationset that follows (success or failure).

Faceless crowd of dummies that loiter around, who you can kill at will and which screams and runs like headless chicken if you start shooting is boring as hell.

Last edited:
Pedestrians do have vital organs that you can sell on the black market. Indeed. Good idea.

Why not. You might be able to lure someone to a back alley where you stab him/her in the neck, scan for organs and possible tech if he happens to have cyberwares attached, and remove what you need. And of course you need your blackmarket contacts to move the merch.

This kind of activity might even have citywide consequences. News speaking of it, more police activity, more wary "pedestrians" (increased difficulty with interactions).

And if the game is designed the right way, maybe you could, as a media, go do profitable stories about your own victims. :D

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9165970 said:
And if the game is designed the right way, maybe you could, as a media, go do profitable stories about your own victims. :D
Now that is evil, real honest-to-god evil, not the stuff you usually see in games presented as evil.
Sir, I salute you!

The one well done example of little interactions with black market is suprisinly a GTA game, but it's called Chinatown Wars and it's not one of the AAAs which means chances of CDPR taking a look at it are 0%. Anyway. It has elite-esque economy but with drugs and suprisingly well stuffed dumpsters. Would glad to have an opportunity to find some organs or tech for spare parts for Medtechie character. Or the whole dead body. Or alive one who escaped some bad situation in a dumpster. Living on the edge, what can I say.

Last edited:
Harvesting organs isn't quite as easy as using a combat knife to cut them out. You need some knowledge of anatomy and surgery, also something to keep them in till you get to the ripperdoc, I'm afraid a plastic bag just won't cut it (contamination, temperature).

Suhiira;n9168120 said:
Harvesting organs isn't quite as easy as using a combat knife to cut them out. You need some knowledge of anatomy and surgery, also something to keep them in till you get to the ripperdoc, I'm afraid a plastic bag just won't cut it (contamination, temperature).

Well, I mean... You can easily harvest an organ. What condition it comes out of the body, that's where the knowledge of anatomy and skill in surgery comes in. You can also take it to the ripperdoc in a plastic bag. If they don't want it, you can take their organs too, and carry the lot to the next ripperdoc.

Sounds like a plan? :cool:

kofeiiniturpa;n9165970 said:
Why not. You might be able to lure someone to a back alley where you stab him/her in the neck, scan for organs and possible tech if he happens to have cyberwares attached, and remove what you need. And of course you need your blackmarket contacts to move the merch.

This kind of activity might even have citywide consequences. News speaking of it, more police activity, more wary "pedestrians" (increased difficulty with interactions).

Suhiira;n9166060 said:
Now that is evil, real honest-to-god evil, not the stuff you usually see in games presented as evil.
Sir, I salute you!

there is movie called nightcrawler, (not the x man character) i think you too would enjoy it.

animalfather;n9168280 said:
how did this thread turn into harvesting organs..
Economics? XD

Some see a thriving living city with loads of oppertunity for interaction and fun events and stories... others see an open-plan slaughterhouse filled to the brim with ripe profit for the taking... XD

Calistarius;n9172150 said:
Economics? XD

Some see a thriving living city with loads of oppertunity for interaction and fun events and stories... others see an open-plan slaughterhouse filled to the brim with ripe profit for the taking... XD

i dont think this gen or even nextgen consoles have the cpu power to create a living breathing organic city with everything in perfect sync.

Probably not, but they can at least have more then 3-4 NPCs and give them some pre-programed behavior and daily routines. And that would be a far bit better then what we usually see.

Guest 4149880

Yeah why would the streets be crowded? That's ridiculous, CDPR is only making a giant city filled with nothing. To many resources, time and money goes into making NPC's. They're spending their time and money on conserving resources for other areas of the game that will be extremely limited and essentially none existent, not to be worrying about features that actually make the game. I hope to at least see one other person in Night City, 2 would be amazing but that's pushing it. Ya know... Consoles!!!!

BeastModeIron;n9173960 said:
Yeah why would the streets be crowded? That's ridiculous, CDPR is only making a giant city filled with nothing. To many resources, time and money goes into making NPC's. They're spending their time and money on conserving resources for other areas of the game that will be extremely limited and essentially none existent, not to be worrying about features that actually make the game. I hope to at least see one other person in Night City, 2 would be amazing but that's pushing it. Ya know... Consoles!!!!

so we should just walk around in a empty city?
i played witcher 3 on pc and ps4
on pc novigrad looks amazing and the npcs rly make the city feel alive
on ps4 it almost feels deserted because the number of npc's was reduced

Last edited:
samoilaaa;n9175002 said:
i played witcher 3 on pc and ps4
on pc novigrad looks amazing and the npcs rly make the city feel alive
on ps4 it almost feels deserted because the number of npc's was reduced
Inherent limitations of consoles, just be happy CDPR didn't carry those limitations over to PC like many companies do.

Suhiira;n9176121 said:
Inherent limitations of consoles, just be happy CDPR didn't carry those limitations over to PC like many companies do.

Once again a good place to promote hub design. Smaller playable areas that can feel busier and more content rich than big wide open spaces miles in every direction. A reasonable amount of more interactive - as mentioned before - NPC's, and vista points to give a sense of scale... You might look down from a ledge to where you can not get and see an image of busy street with dozens upon dozens fo people walking about, and the horizon depicts the city spanning as far as can be seen with fliying vehicles and billboards in the distance. Push push push. Do it.

Top Bottom