I hope we're not going with "Coldsteel The Hedgehog" levels of edgy

+
I hope we're not going with "Coldsteel The Hedgehog" levels of edgy

Since CP2077 will touch dark themes and that whole "living on the edge" thing, perhaps the game characters should stay away from this definition of edgy:

"Edgy” is an English slang term used to describe things, behaviors or trends which are provocative or avant-garde, and is often used to describe things that are dark and gothic in nature. It is commonly used as an insult on 4chan and Tumblr for someone attempting to be badass by acting emo or overly contrarian."

An example of this edgy teenager stuff is this infamous character. The possibility of CDPR putting something like Coldsteel in the game is not plausible. But it seems there's perhaps a chance of us seeing an edgy character.

[video=youtube;XA-4B2d4L18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-4B2d4L18[/video]

And this kids is how you get banned from this forum.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure how 'Edgy' even can relate to being on 'The Edge' - in Cyberpunk 2020/2077 sense being on The Edge has nothing to do with being edgy....?

Gizmo0;n9323141 said:
Not entirely sure how 'Edgy' even can relate to being on 'The Edge' - in Cyberpunk 2020/2077 sense being on The Edge has nothing to do with being edgy....?

The whole cyberpunk theme is suitable for these words: "provocative" "avant-garde" "dark and gothic in nature" "badass" "contrarian in the anarchist sense".

I know, it doens't mean we'll certainly have edgy stuff in CP2077. But if there is a plausible possibility, shouldn't we consider it? Oh no, this thread is minutes away from someone posting "but when we're talking about possibilities anything can happen, therefore it's a waste of time to ever consider it", oh but you should realise that if anything can happen with CP2077 we should have double concern about any aspects that may possibly make the game shit. And this is one of them.

Last edited:
I always thought being edgy is just form of attention seeking, where as in Cyberpunk 2077 being on The Edge is living to the fullest, rebelling against authority and having no care for the consequences.

NukeTheMoon;n9323571 said:
I'm pretty sure Night City won't look the way you fear.

That said, isn't Night City in Japan? Japan... 50 years from now...

No Night City is in America.

Gizmo0;n9323671 said:
I always thought being edgy is just form of attention seeking, where as in Cyberpunk 2077 being on The Edge is living to the fullest, rebelling against authority and having no care for the consequences.

No Night City is in America.

Then did I get it backwards? The Japanese mega corporation nukes the American one?

NukeTheMoon;n9323731 said:
Then did I get it backwards? The Japanese mega corporation nukes the American one?

Night City is like amalgamation of cultures and languages ( I mean Streetslang is blend of like 8 languages and slang)

Gizmo0;n9323671 said:
I always thought being edgy is just form of attention seeking.

That's also edgy. That just highlights how thin the line between badass and edgy is. If CDPR crosses such line, some characters may be ridiculed just like the ones in Mass Effect Andromeda were.

What differenciates one the badass character from the edgy one is perhaps how unforced one is compared to the other. The badass is naturally what he is, in other words, he doens't try so hard to act like a badass because it all flows subtly, not to mention how the baddass one has his edgy personality characteristics but in a way that he is edgy in every way possible, using all the cliches in the book. This all contrasts the edgy one.

The badass is how he is usually because he needs to act in such ways and doens't do edgy things just for the sake of doing it.

NukeTheMoon;n9323731 said:

Does that mean we'll have weaboos in U.S.A instead of in japan?

EDIT: removed an unnecessary quote

Last edited:
Gizmo0;n9323851 said:
I don't see that as edgy - I see that as you put it - badass. Maybe its subjective for each of us.

Oh, I was mentioning the "attention seeking" part. Perhaps I should edit it to remove the ambiguity.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9323911 said:
Oh, I was mentioning the "attention seeking" part. Perhaps I should edit it to remove the ambiguity.

Well yeah, attention seeking is what I used to describe being edgy, but I wouldn't call being on The Edge as attention seeking.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9323951 said:
Me neither, but being "edgy" on the other hand...

I'll be honest, I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say? Edgy doesn't equate to being on The Edge in Cyberpunk2077 context so I can't see any danger of that being introduced or used for the game...

Heh... I find it amusing that even though you guys are talking about stuff like this... none of you has so far even used the word "Punk" by it's self (as in not connected to "Cyberpunk")... XD

I think that word, "Punk", is pretty importent to the whole thing about what CP2077 will be... so yeah... just an observation... XD

Calistarius;n9326001 said:
Heh... I find it amusing that even though you guys are talking about stuff like this... none of you has so far even used the word "Punk" by it's self (as in not connected to "Cyberpunk")... XD

I think that word, "Punk", is pretty importent to the whole thing about what CP2077 will be... so yeah... just an observation... XD

Valid point. I think "edgy" really equals "douchie", "badass" really equals "formidable", and "Punk" is more of a artistic style.

NukeTheMoon;n9332761 said:
and "Punk" is more of a artistic style.
I would say that the more importent aspects of "punk" is that whole... you know... anti-establishment stuff, personal freedom, not having to conform to what sociaty might say you should do and/or look like and/or how to behave etc... amongst a lot of other such kinds of things... XD

I suggest reading Please Kill Me: The Oral History of the Punk Movement by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain to better understand punk. Especially if you weren't there to experience it first hand like some of us.

Last edited:
I hope not and I also have confidence that Mike and the guys at CDPR are above this. But now I've just thought how awesome it could be that they referenced this somehow... maybe having some character in the net pretending they're an edgerunner while talking cringy edgy all the time and they get called out on their bs. Maybe having the media section of some megacorp banking on the idea of edgerunner heroes in flicks they produce in a very cringy edgy way.

I'd like the game to not shy away from a decent, well placed and cooked dose of cheese here and there, but I'd like for it to be more 70s and 80s action flick, with the ocasional action-star one liner, than 90s Liefeld Image comics edgy stuff or crappy post-Matrix gothpunk edgy things. Allow the player to choose a bit of that in things like character customization, pouches, shades, black leather jumpsuits and trenchcoats and katanas... all that "tactical" crap the Robocop remake was talking about too... but that can be pretty boring if it's the only thing or the centre of attention.

Cyberpunk should be edgy in a sense of reality. Everything is gritty and not filled with puppies and kittens. It's just your average typical day in the night city. Night City is no joke and the only thing that matters is your survival. The genre serves as a gateway simulation of what the world could become if it continues its way. If you watched Blade Runner, you know it's not sunshine and rainbows. There's no humor in it at all. The most niceness I expect to see in cyberpunk 2077 is an asshole that cracks jokes. Nobody is gonna be nice to you when they know they could become the next meat lying on the street shown on nightly news. You don't want to become part of the statistic, so you'll do everything you need to do to survive whether alone or with your companions who somewhat trust you because you've helped them when they needed help the most. But you can't help everyone. Sometimes you just gotta look the other way to survive. Courage could get you killed. Sometimes it may be a trap set up to exploit you. You need to be very lucky to come across someone you can trust. Trust is a rare commodity in night city, loyalty much less. Companionship is a glimpse of hope in this desperate city of degenerates. Don't ever get comfortable in the night city. It will end up backstabbing you.

Top Bottom