Cyberpunk gwent?

+
As 2077 takes place in a wrong turn version of our world, there won't be gwent or any kind of CCG, you'll get the original card games like poker, black jack, texas hold em and etc.

As CP2077 is in our world, but 60 years into the future I guess the card game of choice of badasses is Texas Hold'em :)

walkingdarkly;n10784101 said:
there won't be gwent or any kind of CCG, you'll get the original card games like poker, black jack, texas hold em and etc.

Where are you getting this information from?

While Gwent might not necessarily be in Cyberpunk 2077, were there not some rumors that the mini-games could have a multiplayer element? So they could be played against other people, rather than just an AI like in The Witcher 3.

sv3672;n10830901 said:
While Gwent might not necessarily be in Cyberpunk 2077, were there not some rumors that the mini-games could have a multiplayer element? So they could be played against other people, rather than just an AI like in The Witcher 3.

Ooh. If that's what CDPR means by "multiplayer elements," I'd love that. But they are probably planning something bigger.

One idea for the minigame in Cyberpunk world appeared in my head when I read about Mike Pondsmith previous works, one of them being Mekton, a tabletop RPG about pilots of giant mechs, which first was designed by Pondsmith as a game exclusively focused on a battles. They could potentially grab the license for using that early version of Mekton (since they already are working closely with Mike), then modifying and changing it into a game within the universe, a tactical strategy battle game. They could add some collectible element in form of new mech models and parts that you can use to upgrade or modify the ones you already own between the matches, which you can buy or win from other players. The battles could take place within a virtual space or in a form of hologram, which would allow them to go with simplified visuals. Just a random thought.

Snowflakez;n10830571 said:
Where are you getting this information from?

Common sense, Night City doesn't take place in the far distant Star Trekian Future of 2944, it takes place in California, doesn't take place on another planet, doesn't take place in another dimension, takes place in the what remains of the US.

So I expect the basic card games of Poker, I expect to find pool tables, dart boards and etc. You're not gonna find strange card games like Gwent in our world and in a place like Night City.

walkingdarkly;n10831641 said:
You're not gonna find strange card games like Gwent in our world and in a place like Night City.

They do already exist, at least in our world. :) CP2077 might not have Gwent in particular, but I can see the possibility of new, Cyberpunk themed minigames by CDPR.

walkingdarkly;n10831641 said:
Common sense, Night City doesn't take place in the far distant Star Trekian Future of 2944, it takes place in California, doesn't take place on another planet, doesn't take place in another dimension, takes place in the what remains of the US.

So I expect the basic card games of Poker, I expect to find pool tables, dart boards and etc. You're not gonna find strange card games like Gwent in our world and in a place like Night City.

sv3672;n10831711 said:
...but I can see the possibility of new, Cyberpunk themed minigames by CDPR.

Yes, this is the point I was going to make.

Cyberpunk is still technically fiction. Believable fiction, sure, but fiction nonetheless. If they can figure out how to give people metal limbs that don't completely suck, I'm 100% sure they can come up with a unique card game of some sort. Heck, people are coming up with new, unique, and most importantly, popular card games in modern times every day.

I wouldn't want 2077's game to be CyberGwent, for no other reason than it's already been done and it'd just feel shoehorned in. I'd rather see something new, doesn't even necessarily have to be cards. Could be some sort of dice game.

Snowflakez;n10831801 said:
a unique card game

Black Jack>all other card games :p

But only because that's the only game I know how to play >.<

Snowflakez;n10831801 said:
popular card games in modern times every day.

So are we gonna see Pokemon and Yugioh in Night CIty? They're popular modern card games...among kids. Unless there are other card games I'm missing other than the general gambling card games. o_O?

walkingdarkly;n10838531 said:
Black Jack>all other card games :p

But only because that's the only game I know how to play >.<

I'm a fan of Black Jack too, so I'm with you there. I could never grasp Poker, plus I suck at bluffing.

walkingdarkly;n10838531 said:
So are we gonna see Pokemon and Yugioh in Night CIty? They're popular modern card games...among kids. Unless there are other card games I'm missing other than the general gambling card games. o_O?

There are plenty of very popular card games out there that aren't targeted at children, so I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Could you elaborate?

Anyway, it's not my job to come up with a unique Cyberpunk-specific card game for 2077 - it's CDPR's, if they do choose to make one at all. I'm just saying it would work just fine from a realism perspective. Plus, it's still a fictional universe that doesn't play by the exact same rules ours does. Creative freedom and all that.

They can very easily create a card game that took the world by storm between 2020 and 2077, or always existed but was never mentioned. Or they can not do that... really up to them. Heck, it might not even be a card game, maybe it's something else (Assuming they do a minigame).

My feeling is that Gwent "belongs" to the Witcher franchise, making Gwent 2077 would be rather pointless as it would merely be a copy of Gwent with different pictures on the cards. CDPR has already put their innovation and creativity into Gwent.

Now if they can come up with something new (maybe a net-hacking minigame) for CP2077 then go for it. But Gwent 2077 ... no, just no.

Suhiira;n10839131 said:
(maybe a net-hacking minigame

Nah, that should be a full game within the game for netrunners :D
And on the Net of 2020, it will be interesting to see how they translate how the net is described in the PnP books into a "digital" form...

Snowflakez;n10838931 said:
There are plenty of very popular card games out there that aren't targeted at children

Just a bad joke, only "popular" card games I've ever witnessed have been those two particular games, any other card game don't reach what I would consider "Popular" levels like Pokemon and Yugioh enjoy.
I do know digital card games are making a come back after about 15 years or so. And that's driving me crazy because I'm trying to remember a digital card game I played on the PC way back in 2002 that was fairly cyberpunk-ish. And the last time I played a few card games that wasn't child oriented was in the late 90s, early 2000s, one was based on another fabulous RPG series called Werewolf: The Apocalypse and one called Illuminate the card game.

Top Bottom