Blade Runner Influences On Cyberpunk 2077

+
Blade Runner Influences On Cyberpunk 2077

What aspects in cyberpunk do you reckon Blade Runner is going to influence in the game? There is no denying that the 1982 movie heavily inspired the cyberpunk board games which released in 1988. So I wonder what is going to set them apart from each other? They both have the iconic super cities and hover cars.. as for the Replicants in Blade Runner they seem a lot more human/organic compared to what we witnessed in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. The overall theme of the trailer gave off the impression of there being rifts between machines and humans or at least the illusion of one as we saw the "fem terrorist" suiting up into her officer uniform at the end. So do you reckon we could be hunting down rogue machines throughout the game similar to the work of a Blade Runner who hunts down replicants hiding amongst humans?

Last edited:
While Blade Runner heavily inspired the look of the Cyberpunk genre, it actually isn't technically Cyberpunk. Look, I won't beat anyone who wants to put it into the genre, because it weren't for one key thing, it would fit completely; the problem is that key thing is the basis of the entire film: the Replicants. In Cyberpunk, humans have embraced technology entirely and have integrated it into themselves. There isn't a seperation of humanity and technology, whereas, obviously, the disassocation of humans and technology - or at least the perceived seperation depending on your interpretation - is key to the "plot" of Blade Runner, or more accurately, it's themes.

So what similiarites? Visually, tons. Narratively? Thematically? Not that many.

Last edited:
TearsintheRain;n9635431 said:
While Blade Runner heavily inspired the look of the Cyberpunk genre, it actually isn't technically Cyberpunk. Look, I won't beat anyone who wants to put it into the genre, because it weren't for one key thing, it would fit completely; the problem is that key thing is the basis of the entire film: the Replicants. In Cyberpunk, humans have embraced technology entirely and have integrated it into themselves. There isn't a seperation of humanity and technology, whereas, obviously, the disassocation of humans and technology - or at least the perceived seperation depending on your interpretation - is key to the "plot" of Blade Runner, or more accurately, it's themes.

So what similiarites? Visually, tons. Narratively? Thematically? Not that many.

Visually yeah and as for the narrative we know next to nothing but the trailer totally reminded me of the Replicants. Going off the cyberpunk trailer she seemed completely machine with normal humans dead bleeding out. She gets shot in the head at the end only to be brought back it just gave me the impression she was completely machine unless its a case of being like Ghost in the shell with a human mind uploaded into an artificial body. Any similarities to Blade Runner or Ghost in the shell is a good thing tbh. I understand what you mean though with humans integrating with technology Ala Deus Ex Human Evolution. I would like some kind of plot or sub plot where you have to hunt down augmented terrorists.

cyberpunk is a world that choose cyber technology, blade runner biotechnology, but as you said, they use it but don't embrace it.

I would hope not much more than the ideal that even if there is some action there, it's still more of a thinking persons movie with calm pace and good artistic values. At least the original was, I haven't seen the new one yet.

Last edited:
I think everyone wants to play a very different character in the game as everyone has very different opinions on what cyberpunk is and isn't and the roles feel widely different, even more if you take into account individual characters with their origins, background and motivations.

So I personally would like for things such as the Cop role to be played in very different ways. I'd like for it to be something over the top in the vein of Lethal Weapon or even Dominion Tank Police but also a more noir detective. And Blade Runner could add a lot of that noir, dark, nostalgic even, flavour to that playstyle.

Also flying cars/spinners. And though I don't think Streetslang will be portrayed as anything even remotely close to what we saw in Blade Runner as cityspeak, I think it's obviously a major inspiration in that aspect too.

I don't know what kind of influence Philip K. Dick's fiction ( Blade Runner is based off of his story: "Do andriods dream of Electric sheep?) will have on CP2077, but I do know it had a huge influence on the CP 2020 PNP Game. BTW: CP 2020 wasn't JUST about cybernetics, there was also "Bioware" as well.FYI.

Tieco

Forum regular
The mood was definitely spot on: new stuff, but much more decay (the Tyrel building vs the Bradbury), a lot of rain...

Saving yourself, not the world (Decker didn't want to "free" all the other Nexus units, just Rachel)

Perhaps the better question is "How will BladeRunner 2049 influence CP2077?"

Guest 4149880

Lisbeth_Salander;n9642941 said:
just put flying robots in cyberpunk 2077 already, or even better yet:
PUT SOME FLYING MECHS

And flying cars, Ciri knows... Everyone's got em

mfld;n9790471 said:

Did you just skip to the end of all the threads and give one word answers so that you filled up the list?

BjornTheBandit;n9790571 said:
Did you just skip to the end of all the threads and give one word answers so that you filled up the list?

you noticed that too eh? he's either inflating his post count, or a spammer trying to get over some block... i think we have that, where you must have x # of posts before you can post links and/or images.
either way I say we drop CSWAT on him... it's the only way to be sure.

eraser7278;n9790601 said:
you noticed that too eh? he's either inflating his post count, or a spammer trying to get over some block... i think we have that, where you must have x # of posts before you can post links and/or images.
either way I say we drop CSWAT on him... it's the only way to be sure.

Kill him dead, this INSTANT

Top Bottom