Blade Runner 2049 : Bar for 2077 higher now?

+

Blade Runner 2049 : Bar for 2077 higher now?

• Total voters

Guest 4149880

Gizmo0;n9676871 said:
I always thought GITS is more similar to Cyberpunk 2077, due to acceptance of cybernetics, where as BR its Humans vs Synthetics, so imho there is no bar to set. I think it will provide a lot of inspiration to Cyberpunk2077 story/depth wise and atmosphere, but it will be its own thing.

I don't think Bladerunner ever set the bar for what Mike Pondsmith was out to create because while they share some similarities, Cyberpunk doesn't share Bladerunners hopeless and depressing world, as its more grounded on what the future could realistically be like and its punk and rock in roll.

BeastModeIron;n9678091 said:
I don't think Bladerunner ever set the bar for what Mike Pondsmith was out to create because while they share some similarities, Cyberpunk doesn't share Bladerunners hopeless and depressing world, as its more grounded on what the future could realistically be like and its punk and rock in roll.

Yeah, actually The Fifth Element shares more in common with CP2020 than Blade Runner did. I think BR2049 is closer to the cyberpunk ideal though.

There are some easter eggs in The alien movies about the Tyrell corporation being colleague of Weyland Industries and didn't Weyland also deal in cybernetics and clones? It is a big world this science fiction one.

4meg;n9678151 said:
Yeah, actually The Fifth Element shares more in common with CP2020 than Blade Runner did. I think BR2049 is closer to the cyberpunk ideal though.

I had a dream a few months ago that Cyberpunk 2077 had aliens in it, then Geralt appeared in a portal and looked me directly in the eye and said:

"This is what you have done."

Then I wake up.

I didn't want to enter this thread until I saw the film, and I just got back from watching.

It was absolutely incredible. I don't know what I expected, but my expectations were all exceeded tremendously. Great acting, excellent cinematography(the use of light in all its physical properties was masterful), incredibly engaging narrative, fantastic pacing(when a three hour movie feels like an hour and a half you did something right). It was the total package. It is definitely one of my favorite films of all time. I don't remember the last time I saw a movie this good.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9676171 said:
Spoiler ahead, duh.

blocks your path

let me begin my retort with a musical interlude...

for the rest let us adjourn to my, not in the least bit creepy, windowless rape "work" van ;)
GLUG GLUG GLUG, looks like "best girl" lost to an inferior model :p

and JOI's not dead, how could she be? sure, she asked to be transferred off the system, but ask yourself this... you truly think a "big data" firm would ever allow something like that to be deleted by a user? especially when they're using that node to SPY on the protagonist? FUCK NO, she's sitting pretty on a server somewhere, laughing her pretty little head off diddling herself to pictures of LUV looking all corpsified :wisegirl:

JOI cannot be defeated, JOI is legion, JOI is... the ultimate shareware cum to think of it :p

"we hope you're satisfied with our service" :cool:

eraser7278;n9678861 said:
GLUG GLUG GLUG, looks like "best girl" lost to an inferior model :p

and JOI's not dead, how could she be? sure, she asked to be transferred off the system, but ask yourself this... you truly think a "big data" firm would ever allow something like that to be deleted by a user? especially when they're using that node to SPY on the protagonist? FUCK NO, she's sitting pretty on a server somewhere, laughing her pretty little head off diddling herself to pictures of LUV looking all corpsified :wisegirl:

JOI cannot be defeated, JOI is legion, JOI is... the ultimate shareware cum to think of it :p

"we hope you're satisfied with our service" :cool:

But seriously that could really happen with Joi if they made a sequel to the story. But I wouldn't keep any hopes up, specially considering that the movie itself strongly hinted at the possibility of Joi's love for K being superficial, and it also hinted subtly that K realised this. But in my opinion, these hints were also very ambiguous. Perhaps their love was true.

Last edited:
4meg;n9678151 said:
By how a city and areas near it should look, it's 100% BR2049 and not Fifth Element like at all. In Fifth Element everyone has a flying car while in Cyberpunk it's a toy that costs money, alot of money, that alone influences the visuals, which clearly shown in BR2049 also. And I don't remember police and law enforcement be draconian as they are in Judge Dredd, which is also what police looks like in Cyberpunk, in Fifth Element.

Yeah, no Fifth Element in muh Cyberpunk 2077 or riot.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9682561 said:
Don't you want something "real"?

Morpheus: What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

*absolutely no sexism intended nor implied :)

I finally went to the movies to see 2049 with some friends. They didn't leave the theatre as enthused by it as I was. I personally thought it complemented the original very well sometimes by subverting some of the original's elements. It was probably too long... not because of padding because I enjoyed every moment I was allowed to explore its world, maybe more because of the pacing and how decompressed devery scene and emotion was, which I also kind of enjoyed taking in... and there was also a certain lack of resolution of some threads... but I liked it a surprising lot for a movie that nobody really asked for.

I picked option two. I don't think it sets the bar any higher than the original which is still the better picture of the two, it just brings more attention to the genre. Also read about the Snow Crash series by Amazon (hope it's better than The Man in the High Castle...), and still there's Netflix's Altered Carbon over the horizon... so how do you think all this coordinated effort to revitalize cyberpunk came to be? Don't you think it was CP2077 itself that made everyone want a piece of the cake? I don't think they'll ever make me abhor the genre, I hope they just don't tire the general audiences.

In how 2049 relates to cyberpunk... I personally thought it was very cyberpunk.

- You don't say!

- No really. Let me say it, I'm on to something... Just look at Ryan Gosling's character:

Forget that he's supposed to be a Replitcant. Or if that even matters. He's some guy with a shit job he's been conditioned to love (they used a kind of Voight-Kampf test flipped on its head to associate some nasty things to good things: your place in a compartimentalized cell as something natural like bees in a beehive; the shackles of your job, your slavery, with emotional bonds...), lives in a shit apartment, eats shit food... oh, but he can overlay it with a hologram. And for whatever reason they acknowledge some humanizing emotions in him since he's a consumer of waifu tech... but that's fucking sad.

And you also see that slavery in its world isn't just for replicants.

eraser7278;n9683021 said:
Morpheus: What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Joke is on you, I believe there is no difference.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9684541 said:
Joke is on you, I believe there is no difference.

But you seem to think your best girl luv is superior simply because of that killer Bod [~15] of hers (skimping on neither form nor function, I totally get the appeal), which makes her "real" despite being lab designed and vat grown in orbit.

/me inserts tongue firmly into cheek
[SARCASM] Quit being such a hate-mongering corporeal-ist! Digitally enhanced AI waifu's are "people" too... maybe... the definition of people keeps changing by the hour, you'll have to ask PC-Principal for the most up to date party line on who is "people." But lacking a physical presence in the world is absolutely a disability, which means your digs at the corporeal-ly challenged are 100% "punching down" and they just earned you an all expenses paid vacation to an SJW gulag, "re-education camp." [/SARCASM]
/me disengages tongue from cheek

eraser7278 I'm really not arguing over which one is better. Isn't the point of the movie that...
...there is absolutely no way to prove each individual subjective experience? Thus K, Luv and Joi might actually have subjective experiences and self awareness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom