Your Fears For the Game - Combined Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
kofeiiniturpa;n9872491 said:
neither Geralt nor Shepard nor Jensen from Deus Ex because I had a say in who they were and who they became. I didn’t just follow a script of the hero (like I do in every story driven game RPG or not),
I dunno ... I feel like that's unfair to both Geralt and Shepard (though for Jensen it's pretty accurate). There are some pretty big choices within the game that you make for those characters that help reflect who (s)he is.

Especially for Shepard through the course of the ME Trilogy. There are tons of moments and conversations that you make the choice for the character that help build "your" Shepard. And renegade Shepard in ME2 and ME3 could not accurately be described as a hero. Also some of the renegade choices seem to actually make sense under the circumstances you in ... and thus allow for a more "grey" character - assuming you don't really care about how many paragon / renegade points you have. Lots of people try and "game" the paragon / renegade system ... but I would argue that's a less than optimal strategy for the games.

Shavod;n9873101 said:
Matter of taste and all that, but personally I found the role playing aspects of the original Fallouts sharing the same problems I had with many other classic role playing games, in that they for me felt extremely limited and boring. Most of the times your dialogue options are either limited to the nicest guy you ever met or twisted ploughing psychopath with some neutral option in between.

That's fair. No game's perfect, and I won't deny Fallout's shortcomings since it certainly has some. To me, though, the roleplaying there went far beyond simply dialog options regarding stances towards things or whether or not you were being good or bad. I never looked at the games from that kind of binary point of view as there was so much more there.

The trouble with Geralt and "friends" is that that "there was so much more there" aspect was not there as the options were limited to what was suitable to Geralt or whoever.

Rawls;n9875471 said:
I dunno ... I feel like that's unfair to both Geralt and Shepard (though for Jensen it's pretty accurate).

Don't worry, I'm sure they can take it. ;)

Don't read me as mocking them, though. That's not what I wanted to do. Witcher and ME and DX provide precicely the sort of experience that they intend and they do their best at it, and that's fine with me. But the point was that while you can make some (minor to my experience, but nevertheless) choices as to "what kind of" Geralt Geralt is, he's still very rigidly the same Geralt even if you sat on your head while playing, you have no say about that. That goes for Shepard and Jensen and Thornton too. That's not the case with games "like" Fallout (not that there are many...) that strive to allow you to play as you want as who you want and what ever you do, the stories of the world will still follow and react to who you are and what you do. This is impossible with a predefined (and voiced) character who will always remain the same no matter how you play.

E.g. I have no reason to ever touch Witcher 3 again after finishing it once. It will not offer me new opportunities to the point that I'd want to trudge trhough all the repetititive parts again (it took me around 80 hours to finish it). It would be different if I had my own witcher and if he had a bigger variety of skills, expressions and approaches (that the game of course recognizes), if I had the freedom to play the kind of witcher I'd be interested in and have the game react to him who ever he might be.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9875791 said:
E.g. I have no reason to ever touch Witcher 3 again after finishing it once. It will not offer me new opportunities to the point that I'd want to trudge trhough all the repetititive parts again (it took me around 80 hours to finish it). It would be different if I had my own witcher and if he had a bigger variety of skills, expressions and approaches (that the game of course recognizes), if I had the freedom to play the kind of witcher I'd be interested in and have the game react to him who ever he might be.
That's really the problem with most voiced games, there's no reason or incentive to replay them.

Suhiira;n9876191 said:
That's really the problem with most voiced games, there's no reason or incentive to replay them.

That’s also the reason why CEO Kiciński said that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature Online/Multiplayer Elements so they can patch the game up more easily unlike where it’s already a Singleplayer game.

Don’t you know that Singleplayer takes too long to patch and change? Unlike Multiplayer Online Service games? That’s what CDPR trying to do on Cyperpunk 2077. Probably Make it more casual and rich at gameplay with mediocre Graphic.

Guest 4149880

exogenesis09;n9876481 said:
That’s also the reason why CEO Kiciński said that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature Online/Multiplayer Elements so they can patch the game up more easily unlike where it’s already a Singleplayer game.

Don’t you know that Singleplayer takes too long to patch and change? Unlike Multiplayer Online Service games? That’s what CDPR trying to do on Cyperpunk 2077. Probably Make it more casual and rich at gameplay with mediocre Graphic.

Is that why they have job listings for photo realistic graphics?

Eh, Elias Toufexis doesn't have a job right now. Why don't they hire him to be Keanu Gibson or whatever they call him.

Either him or David Hayter.

We can get Mary McGlynn for a female Keanu.

Because I don't want all my characters to sound like the same man or woman every time. Elias Toufexis is awesome, but if I'm playing a sneaky Netrunner or super charismatic Rockerboy, I don't want them to sound the same as my very very cynical but authoritative Cop or my unctuous, dominating Corporate.

Sardukhar;n9877181 said:
Because I don't want all my characters to sound like the same man or woman every time. Elias Toufexis is awesome, but if I'm playing a sneaky Netrunner or super charismatic Rockerboy, I don't want them to sound the same as my very very cynical but authoritative Cop or my unctuous, dominating Corporate.

The problem with that is it's very possible that we'll have Roles as things we pursue in game versus start with them.

Last edited:
exogenesis09;n9876481 said:
Don’t you know that Singleplayer takes too long to patch and change? Unlike Multiplayer Online Service games?
Ummm ... no.
I am a programmer, I'd MUCH prefer to patch most single-player games to any multi-player one, far, FAR less probability of an error cascading.

But then why do single-player games take so much longer to patch you ask?
Easy, they save a number of changes/corrections so the patch is large enough to justify the bandwidth needed to allow it's download. Also in most cases there are significantly less people creating the patches.

Willowhugger;n9877551 said:
The problem with that is it's very possible that we'll have Roles as things we pursue in game versus start with them.

Sure, sure. Same answer though.

Balloers100;n9877911 said:
The Australian gambling analyst has declared loot boxes gambling by legal definition.
So that makes now four governments of the world who are looking to make loot boxes and microtransactions gambling and illegal.
:victory:

kofeiiniturpa;n9878011 said:
Season passes should too since you can’t be sure what you’re buying with them.
If CD Projekt RED does a Expansion Pass for Cyberpunk 2077 like they did for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt then that should be fine. Since so far CD Projekt RED has not done a Season Pass, yet.

CD Projekt RED I hope very much for Cyberpunk 2077 sells at least a total of five expansion packs like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Balloers100;n9877911 said:
So that makes now four governments of the world who are looking to make loot boxes and microtransactions gambling and illegal.

Not necessarily illegal, maybe they will just be subject to more regulations and taxes, become less profitable, but do not disappear.

Balloers100;n9878041 said:
If CD Projekt RED does a Expansion Pass for Cyberpunk 2077 like they did for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt then that should be fine. Since so far CD Projekt RED has not done a Season Pass, yet.

Yes, at the time the expansion pass for TW3 became available, it was already known that there would be two expansions, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. I think CP2077 will have 2-3 large expansions, too, perhaps that is the optimal number that still sells well and does not take away too much resources from the development of future games.

Willowhugger;n9877051 said:
Eh, Elias Toufexis doesn't have a job right now. Why don't they hire him to be Keanu Gibson or whatever they call him.

On a related note, is anything known about CP2077 voice actors, or if work on recording dialogues began already? Although I guess the actors are under NDA and will not talk to the public. I recall from one of the older interviews that recording all the voice acting (in 7 languages) for TW3 took a rather long time, if there was none yet for CP, that would more or less confirm the development is still in an early stage.

Last edited:
sv3672;n9878161 said:
Not necessarily illegal, maybe they will just be subject to more regulations and taxes, become less profitable, but do not disappear.

Yes, at the time the expansion pass for TW3 became available, it was already known that there would be two expansions, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. I think CP2077 will have 2-3 large expansions, too, perhaps that is the optimal number that still sells well and does not take away too much resources from the development of future games.

On a related note, is anything known about CP2077 voice actors, or if work on recording dialogues began already? Although I guess the actors are under NDA and will not talk to the public. I recall from one of the older interviews that recording all the voice acting (in 7 languages) for TW3 took a rather long time, if there was none yet for CP, that would more or less confirm the development is still in an early stage.
Outside of the Australian government, Belgian government, and French government, the government of the United States of America is the one considering making microtransactions illegal.

The Hawaiian senator Chris Lee and his staff put out a YouTube video saying loot boxes and microtransactions that are making people come back to keep on purchasing them and causing psychological mental health, which is resulting in some people who have no self control to get into debt, lose their house or even lose their job.

Hawaii is one of those states in the United States of America that really really hates gambling.

If it hasn't been posted yet here watch this YouTube video with the Hawaiian senator making a statement with his staff and saying he is working with the other 49 American states to get this legislation made into a law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

Here is Hawaiian senator Chris Lee's reddit.com comment. Read it all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...f_hawaii_announces_action_to_address/dq62w5m/

Chris Lee's staff is going to also make in app purchases in the video games illegal too and well it has been said Overwatches cosmetic microtransactions will be banned even if Activision and Blizzard Entertainment remove the loot boxes and just sell the cosmetic microtransactions instead of in loot boxes.

So you can see the government of the United States of America getting involved and actually trying to make the microtransactions illegal is huge.

The American market is one of the biggest markets in the world and the American people have one of the biggest purchasing powers in the world.

So CD Projekt RED cannot ignore the American market.

CD Projekt RED will have to listen to the laws of the American market or suffer a lot of huge fines if they keep breaking the laws.

I do not think CDPR would put loot boxes or similar feature into CP2077 regardless of the laws, their reputation as a consumer friendly company (which in the long run helps selling their games better) is too important to be ruined for some extra revenue with a move like that. EA and others would find ways of monetization even with the proposed new regulations, though.

sv3672;n9879571 said:
I do not think CDPR would put loot boxes or similar feature into CP2077 regardless of the laws, their reputation as a consumer friendly company (which in the long run helps selling their games better) is too important to be ruined for some extra revenue with a move like that. EA and others would find ways of monetization even with the proposed new regulations, though.
We don't know what CD Projekt RED's business plans are for Cyberpunk 2077.

CD Projekt RED has a video game that they developed and are still developing for and is a Free to Play (F2P) video game and that is GWENT: The Witcher card video game and it has microtransactions you can purchase in the form of loot boxes called kegs that give you cards.

In the coming year when the government of the United States of America makes this legislation into law, CD Projekt RED will have to remove those kegs from being sold in GWENT: The Witcher card video game and possibly change GWENT: The Witcher card video game into a paid video game from Free to Play (F2P).

I would be very happy if CD Projekt RED just made GWENT: The Witcher card video game into a paid video game for $30 dollars (USD).

BeastModeIron;n9876711 said:
Is that why they have job listings for photo realistic graphics?

Probably I mean Uncharted 4 uses photo realistic graphics too and that was released last year. If the game going to release 2-3 years from now. I could say it’s a mediocre Graphics. We don’t even know what RedEngine 4 can do. I can’t even call Horizon Zero Dawn Graphics as Realistic Graphic too. It’s a 2015-2016 Graphics because even PS4 can handle it even though it’s 2013 Console.

kofeiiniturpa;n9875791 said:
That's fair. No game's perfect, and I won't deny Fallout's shortcomings since it certainly has some. To me, though, the roleplaying there went far beyond simply dialog options regarding stances towards things or whether or not you were being good or bad. I never looked at the games from that kind of binary point of view as there was so much more there.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much like classic Fallouts, because of that "much more there", I was just kinda disappointed after revisiting it years later with how limited interactions with NPC's were when compared to how people tended to remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom