Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyberpunk 2077 Update News: Speculation and Discussion

Cyberpunk vg is the game i dreamt of ever since i was a little kid watching my older cousin play the pen and paper Cyberpunk game in the early 90s with his friends. And i want it to be fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm heavily invested in the art style as well, given that they have some of the best artists in the industry are working on the Witcher franchise. We don't know to what extent those same people, especially Bartek Gawel, will be working on '77. Two points about the trailer: I find the cityscape is far superior to the character designs, which are fairly generic. Secondly, CDPR usually gives extremely accurate renditions of what they intend to do in their CGI. But in this case, the CGI was put out very early to attract attention, and they've had two years to iterate on art style. The best way to get an idea is to look up the artists they've hired and check their portfolios, but I disagree about the retro look - they can't go too much 80's, it would make the game feel dated. They're reinventing Cyberpunk not copying whats been done already.

Last edited:
but I disagree about the retro look - they can't go too much 80's, it would make the game feel dated. They're reinventing Cyberpunk not copying whats been done already.

the whole cyberpunk thing is so intertwined with the 80s retrofut look that for them not to go in that direction the game would no longer be cyberpunk. just call its something else then. And it wont be dated yes its dated but thats where the charm is. there are no games doing the 80s retro look for the exception of Aliens Iso and it looks fabulous but that was done in a very small scale. Being super modern and the game will just look like mass effect like any other space game out there generic as hell.

oh an animalfather (troll/rant) thread..............here we go again...........

We just have seen a tiny little bit of the design and look of the game, the teaser was made when the game was just started and not even concret concepts and designs of CP existed, a teaser doesnt represent the final game design, its just a glimpse of it.

Cyberpunk isnt tied to the 80s, Cyberpunk is developing by the time just like technology, its always a little bit ahead of the actual time we are living, but never to far ahead or to far behind, a 80s look means it would be behind our time.

Just read to the words of Mike Pondsmith:

Cyberpunk 2020 was about early Cyberpunk, the great thing about 2077 is that it is the mature form of it. Cyberpunk 2077 is about the Cyberpunk you thought you knew, scaled up, bigger, better, darker, stranger.

The reason the original Alien still holds up visually is because they minimized contemporary trends, unlike Blade Runner which frankly looks laughable in spots, especially the outfits. No, I can't agree on this. Hints of the 80's is fine, but I hope they come up with a fresh look.

why is expressing my opinion trolling? also i doubt any of you were born in the 80s. Blade Runner laughable? The movie was made 30years ago and STILLL outsells most new movies in blu ray sales. nothing is laughable about that movie ya they might have not predicted that a bunch of hipster queers on their cellphones in starbucks being emo but it nailed so many other things about human nature. blade runner is famous for its art for the world ridley scott created. "Cyberpunk IS Blade Runner" quoting Mike Pondsmith, its sad you guys just dont get it.

I love Blade Runner, but not every single cyberpunk type setting needs to follow it. I like the teaser setting just fine. It gives me hints of a lot of pre-existing works like Bladerunner and Ghost in the shell without being just a blatant copy of any of them. If you want a really blatant copy of Blade runner go play SNATCHER, a really cool game that is not hiding the fact that it's a blade runner game.

Also, the first Alien was filmed in 1978 and released in 1979. It's not really a 1980's art style.

Last edited:
It does not make any sence... that certain aspects of technology would just stop progressing... especially not the looks of things. With most things man made, that is a natural progression... to make things smaller and smaller, or bigger and bigger, or more advanced, and in some rare occation less advance, and things looking different from the previous thing of the same kind.

The thing that changes the most I feel, is almost always how things look... especially if you take a few long steps of time (like a decade for example). It makes more sence that the level and complexity of the technology would stop progressing (even if that is pretty unlikelly as well), then the looks of things stopping to change.

Cyberpunk vg is the game i dreamt of ever since i was a little kid watching my older cousin play the pen and paper Cyberpunk game in the early 90s with his friends. And i want it to be fantastic. CDPR please reconsider the artstyle PLEASE!!!!

I swear I can never tell if you're trolling. Ever. Aline Isolation follows the 70s mechanical-technology style of the first film.

Anyway, keep in mind the art style is hardly finished yet, so we've lots to see.

Also keep in mind the art style is based on the PnP art - you can see some in the background, but the gist of it is sharp lines, metal/flesh contrast, chrome chrome chrome. And 80s hair + buzzcuts.

So how does the trailer contradict this chrome/scum aesthetic?

Cyberpunk is Blade Runner...but not ONLY Blade Runner.

I've been thinking hard about the trailer and the interviews, press conferences and everything and the number one thing im worried about is the artstyle.
Been playing Alien: Isolation (excellent game btw) and i just loved the 80s retrofuturistic artstyle used throughout the game and it made me kind of sad how the trailer and CDPR press conferences confirmed that that was not their aim for the game, and that the super modern Mass Effect look was what they wanted. [...]
Im worried that CDPR just dont get it. Infact im pretty sure they dont, that trailer was everything i did NOT want from a Cyberpunk game (and the music was awful).

You should just forget the trailer, honnestly.
The girl is a random "hoe doing a rampage", the cops are just... cops, and there is nothing more bland and unexciting than a cop uniform.

Now look at the "real" concept arts, I'd say CDPR nailed it better than the originals arts.

Sure, Alien Isolation is a great game, design is heavily Blade Runner influenced, but well, that's more a nostalgia factor than something else.
Blade Runner has been the "top" inspiration about cyberpunk for a while, but honnestly, it gets really old.
Sure you have the basis, but it has come from
"hey look, it's the future!"
to
"Hey look, it's the future from 30years ago when they looked at todays".

I can understand that CDPR tries to break from the usual clichés and pushes their concept further, tho, I agree that I'm not huge on the "Mass Effect" style for the janitor, the black cybernetics... I don't know, I just hope you'll have plenty colors, etc...
Things I don't want are just no Mass Effect or Deus Ex design, those were ugly as fuck.
Mass Effect is too much "space opera", and bland, Deus Ex is too awkward when it comes to design, their implants make you look like a secret agent, absolutely no aesthetic in it, which is the point of the modern cybernetic in Cyberpunk (the game).

But, as I said, if you forget the trailer, and just look at the two concept art with swaggy and punky, It's exactly how I picture the street of Night City.

You have a bunch of punks (Well, let's just do like there weren't any mecha in the background...), the buildings are an further extension of those we have today (not those kind of huge archology), you can see a lot of differrent kind of fashion on every character, etc...
A least they don't have "Made in china" pasted over them, like in D.E

They...look... The same.
They fucking look the same, will we just have 2 shopping mall in the future?

So yeah, I think that they'll try to really make a wide world, but still, that subject scares me a little to, and I really wait for more news about the game :/

Blade Runner was "The Cyberpunk" at a point, but now there are just so much things pasted over the genre that now Robocop, Ghost In The Shell, Strange Days, Matrix, etc... are as much "Cyberpunk" than Blade Runner.

Doing a "blade runner" game would be cool, but absolutely cliché, and very "I expected this", where I'd be more inclined to have a new "fresh" take on cyberpunk, 2019 isn't the future anymore.
Tho, I'm all for an heavy Blade Runner influence.

Last edited:
Yes I totaly see what you mean, and I agree, but well, since the trailer was just some kind of "Ads", there are probably a lot of things which will have changed by the time.
Anyway, the problem is the same, we have to wait for TW3 to be released, so they start to speak about CP77 and then we'll really know what to expect :/

You should just forget the trailer, honnestly.
Things I don't want are just no Mass Effect or Deus Ex design, those were ugly as fuck.
Mass Effect is too much "space opera", and bland, Deus Ex is too awkward when it comes to design, their implants make you look like a secret agent, absolutely no aesthetic in it, which is the point of the modern cybernetic in Cyberpunk (the game).
A least they don't have "Made in china" pasted over them, like in D.E

You're obviously selectively forgetting a lot of cool designs that DEHR. had when it came to cybernetics, there was a lot more than just "secret agent" looks: you had full body conversions that made people look like anatomical models with a penis-case and you also had very bulky looking cyber that the harvesters of Hengsha were sporting:

The only thing that really disappointed me when it came to cybernetics in that game was that I thought they had the perfect excuse to make your modifications alter your appearance, and then they did the praxis points thing... The cyber-renaissance thing wasn't overdone and it was interesting.
Now if you were talking about DE, it was very limited technologically, but it looked a lot like a Paul Verhoeven movie. DE: IW looked too tame, every character looked like it belonged in the sims.

You're obviously selectively forgetting a lot of cool designs that DEHR. had when it came to cybernetics, there was a lot more than just "secret agent" looks: you had full body conversions that made people look like anatomical models with a penis-case and you also had very bulky looking cyber that the harvesters of Hengsha were sporting:

The only thing that really disappointed me when it came to cybernetics in that game was that I thought they had the perfect excuse to make your modifications alter your appearance, and then they did the praxis points thing... The cyber-renaissance thing wasn't overdone and it was interesting.
Now if you were talking about DE, it was very limited technologically, but it looked a lot like a Paul Verhoeven movie. DE: IW looked too tame, every character looked like it belonged in the sims.

Oh, I quitte digged some cybernetics actually, but the fact that the game has only three colors:
- Black
- Yellow
- Grey

Really made the world... I don't know, I'd say "bland".
Yep, some Cyber are cool, but still, it's always the same things, you have 3 templates used and re-used over and over.

I didn't said DE was pure shit, but it lacked the crazyness of what I'd call a "real cyberpunk" world.

Look at CP77 trailer, there are colors, citizen have a lot of different outfits, etc...

Deus Ex was more "template" friendly, if you see what I mean.

For CP77, I'd love to see some cyber like in DE, something more "Solo / Killer for hire", mixed with more asthetics implants, just like some bimbo puts silicones in their breasts, with a wide possibility for customisation.

And yes, still, for the most part, those cybernetics are black, very "army-looking", it lacks some "artsy" style, if you see what I mean, they're not bad, but I'd loved more diversity about it.

Like some looking like this:

You know? Different art-style for different brand, etc...
Now, that would add a lot of "deepness" to the crowd, more than an army of clones.

I guess a stripper would get some "sexy implants", like cyber arms/legs who would look like sexy "fleshy" ones, like this:

more than bulky armored ones....

No one want to look at a tank wiggling it's butt on a pole lol.

Some could even be just invisible, looking like real body parts

Last edited:
We haven't really seen how much color and variety will there be in CP2077. We only have CDPR's word that they think that "bleak, grim & gritty, always raining" has been done to death, and that they aim to do something more varied and colorful.
And like I said, it's a Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk brand to have cyber be a fashion statement (I wouldn't go as far as to say it's true for all cyberpunk as a genre), so if we're given a lot of customization options, maybe there will be a possibility for us and the NPCs to look more 80s vibe. I've already said a million times that I'd love to have different customized looks for safehouses based on the diffetent flavors of cyberpunk and derivatives (cyberpunk, postcyberpunk, steampunk, dieselpunk, decopunk, atompunk, biopunk...) and the same would be true for clothing and cybernetics. This modern cyberpunk look that we've seen in the trailer may just be the "neutral" look that most everything will have, but maybe we'll see subcultures that are based on these genres. I think that way everybody wins.

Well, he was pretty on point when talking about fashion.
Just look at how much different looking cellphone you can have... which ultimately do the same thing.

I can see the cyber being the same, you'd have to have a wide variety of arms, legs, etc....
Because people will integrate them to their style, and by so, it shows who you are, style over substance.

If you see someone with bulky cybers, you can assume he works in security or something, the same as the girl in the trailer would more be like a stripper or something, that's what I was talking about.

See the thing is, while films, television and many video games have been ripping off Blade Runner elements since the film's release, there are never ever been a game that has completely captured what would be like to control a character within that world, with open world mechanics, drivable flying cars, cyborgs, massive cities and futuristic weapons.

I want this to be that game tbh, so I'm all for the bulky, gritty and grimy future aesthetic for this game.

Cyberpunk, as the 80's envisioned it, is dead. Early cyberpunk played up the fears of the era, of a financially successful Japan that had immense influence and lording over our declining America and its moral rot. A lot of the stuff simply does not apply anymore (particularly the godawful made-up jargon), and it'd be a mistake to try to cling to that old idea of what the future would be like in a genre that's all about confronting our rose-tinted views of the future.

Transhumanism's the big deal nowadays, and I think 2077 can have a lot more success if it made itself a reaction to modern transhumanism. Yeah, have some Mass Effect styling, give it that beautiful look that we so associate with Apple products and smartphones. But make it be ugly underneath. Where Eclipse Phase dreams of resleeving to solve death, 2077 should show how unfeasible that pipe dream is. Let there be people who think they've "uploaded" themselves to what amounts to little more than chatterbots. Let the "supercomputers" run hot and draw more power than the people running them can afford. Remove the utopian element of modern transhumanism and make it confront reality.

To hell with trying to juggle the mental gymnastics of making the old 2020 canon when it quite clearly can't be. Extrapolate from today, from twenty minutes in the future, make it address today's concerns as we face down Big Brother and ponder the motivations of Google. Where we buy the latest electronics just to toss them out two years later for the new model. Where poor people are duped into buying more than they can afford and being plunged into debt over that couch they had no business buying.

The trailer did a very good job on focusing on something that has endured from classic 2020: cyberpsychosis. It's dissociative, hopeless, unfeeling. That's something that should be central to 2077. Not the "humanity loss" in the sense that the 80's feared it (no one's artificial hip made them a roaming psychopath), but the feeling that flesh is meaningless and valueless should feed into that psychopathic tendency. We already have the mass shootings getting all this attention, it's not hard to imagine that being a living weapon can make it hard to resist just lashing out at everyone around you when you've seen it happen on TV so often. Are these outbursts self-fulfilling prophecies, people lashing out after being told they're going to lash out?

I think that's a better way to go about this than clamoring for how cyberpunk used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom