Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loostreaks;n9835181 said:
It is still the same problem, without any set level "caps". They need to plan this well ahead, as game will likely receive future dlcs and expansions, so you don't end up with three quarters of all skills mastered. This is typically hard to avoid in games of this size, so any additions will also need to expand on them as well.
Again, look to the PnP, it's not a real problem as you don't award huge numbers on IP.
In fact following the PnPs guidelines the problem will be awarding enough to allow for significant character growth during the game.
If anything the "I deserve it now" generation will probably feel that they're being cheated because that can't master every skill in the game by the end.

Loostreaks;n9835181 said:
It is still the same problem, without any set level "caps". They need to plan this well ahead, as game will likely receive future dlcs and expansions, so you don't end up with three quarters of all skills mastered. This is typically hard to avoid in games of this size, so any additions will also need to expand on them as well.

Personally, I've never really enjoyed games that offer "unlimited levels". There's a looseness involved in systems like that that always has one of two results. A.) I wind up getting bored with the character, as essentially, I'm just repeating the same process endlessly after a certain point, grinding through parts of the game, hitting enemies with the same combos, with very little new or exciting happening. B.) My character starts to become shapeless, being good at everything as I've unlocked pretty much every last thing the game has to offer. That's the problem with Bethesda games from Oblivion onward.

Personally, I would ensure that at least milestone skills / abilities are exclusive. If I choose to master sniper-weapons, I can never advance further in automatic weapons. If I study an acrobatic form of martial arts, kiss heavy armors goodbye. Etc. That way, it's possible to make even basic (fighter, mage, thief, or cleric) classes feel very unique as players progress. Not every fighter will work like every other fighter.

In fact, perhaps the amount of "leeway" players are permitted in their choosing skills outside of their class could directly factor into difficulty settings. i.e. Every time I level up, I am presented with 3 skills. I can choose one, which then further branches off into 3 more specialized skills, etc., creating a "spider's web" (circuit board?) of skills that logically lead to one another.

On "Easy", I can select any prior skills at any time in any path, as long as they connect to base skills. Allows free-form, jack-of-all-trades characters with a wide range of skills, and it's possible to create much stronger characters much earlier on that can have an answer for everything. Potentially unbalancing or overpowered, but I selected easy.

On "Normal" I can only select skills from trees that connect to my prior connections. I can fairly easily "multi-class", but I need to plan out my path somewhat to move sensibly from one set of skills to another. You can shoot for the stars with one set of skills while maximizing lower level abilities in another. Versatile and balanced approach that offers a lot of customization while also forcing players to grow into their classes.

On "Hard", I can only select one skill per trio, and I can only move forward on the web. Creates highly-specialized characters with decided strengths and weaknesses. It's like picking a racing line and committing to it. Will I head straight to the ultimate abilities of my single class? Will I zig-zag back and forth between two classes until choosing a final path? Or will my first skills quickly become nothing but support abilities as I rocket across multiple disciplines to discover some latent talent?

Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

I know, nearly everything is speculation on updates and updates on speculation. HOWEVER - this thread is for those posts that are dealing with news of the game, release date speculation and issues concerning those factors.

Guest 4149880

I'm really interested to see how the overall open world transportation will be in Cp2077, high speed lev trains, ground vehicles and especially flying/hover vehicles, Aerodynes specifically as well as more conventional flying vehicles... I hope to see a quite populated air space of flying vehicles by 2077

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n9836971 said:
I'm really interested to see how the overall open world transportation will be in Cp2077, high speed lev trains, ground vehicles and especially flying/hover vehicles, Aerodynes specifically as well as more conventional flying vehicles... I hope to see a quite populated air space of flying vehicles by 2077

I really hope that the Night City transit system offers some awesome immersion. Imagine walking into the station on a rainy night into the dry overcrowded foyer packed with citizens, punks and cops in thick body armor. Then you catch a train into Beaverville that is covered in graffiti and you sit near some booster-gangs who might blow your skull open if you even look at them giving you a reason to have your gun hidden under your jacket. I catch a lot of trains, home at night from college in Manhattan to my apartment in Brooklyn. It can be pretty rough

Guest 4149880

animalfather;n9837701 said:
I just hope they dont shadowun it with a team death match...

Absolutely not, I hope its a more seamless and instant PvP within the single player area rather then being a match making type game mode. As well as the social hubs zones which I can see being legit information.

Draymar23;n9837231 said:
I really hope that the Night City transit system offers some awesome immersion. Imagine walking into the station on a rainy night into the dry overcrowded foyer packed with citizens, punks and cops in thick body armor. Then you catch a train into Beaverville that is covered in graffiti and you sit near some booster-gangs who might blow your skull open if you even look at them giving you a reason to have your gun hidden under your jacket. I catch a lot of trains, home at night from college in Manhattan to my apartment in Brooklyn. It can be pretty rough

I absolutely agree. These little mundane actions is what makes a game immersive to me. To interact with things around you, even if they don't have a gameplay objective is great!

BeastModeIron;n9837251 said:
I'm personally looking forward to seeing how the online component is implemented.

As long as it isn't invasive or necessary in any way. Online tends to be the sort of feature that dictates what the game can not do with it's mechanics (what can't work in open online environment), and that's something I can't really look favorably at.

An useful insight in the development of Cyberpunk 2077

22:40 what the first game design supposed to have

28:08 "heavy emphasis on story and cutscenes"

So what are the chances we will not have just Witcher with guns?

EDIT: If this game comes out in 2020, we should call ourselves very lucky

Last edited:
Grotesque;n9838941 said:
So what are the chances we will not have just Witcher with guns?

I have no idea what to expect anymore, really. I kinda thought a Witcher with Guns with a hint of GTA was something of a given until (hopefully) proven otherwise.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9839031 said:
I haven't have no idea what to expect anymore. I kinda thought a Witcher with Guns with a hint of GTA was something of a given until (hopefully) proven otherwise.

I have no doubt they are very ambitious in their goals but maybe that ambitions would serve better directed at gameplay mechanics and not cinematic player experiences.

What I would give to know what is on the mind of Mike Pondsmith right now! :)

Grotesque;n9839061 said:
I have no doubt they are very ambitious in their goals but maybe that ambitions would serve better directed at gameplay mechanics and not cinematic player experiences.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to push here, in these few discussions around. To the point of being an annoyance at times.

Grotesque;n9839061 said:
What I would give to know what is on the mind of Mike Pondsmith right now! :)

Same. Getting to see past the PR languange that's been in the few interviews he's given, would be nice.

This is highly speculative based on very little information from sources with no verifiable credibility... and will likely only get worse if we're still years away from release.
Early draft of the game did sound very different from what they did previously, but there is a danger of CDPR "falling back" to familiar design from Witcher series ( which could be turn out to be a mistake, even if one executed well)

One advantage they had is very long pre-production, giving them enough time to really did a solid work on ( at least) conceptual design of core gameplay/rpg mechanics. Even with flawed execution, this would be a big step up from the Witcher.

But if halfway during production one of higher ups simply decides to scrape it altogether...?

And instead of responding to tweets and Ytubers, ( imo) their best response right now could be ( imo) live, direct presentation of game's "core guidelines", similar to one in 2012.

BeastModeIron;n9837251 said:
CDPR CEO Adam Kicinski States “Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success.”

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6329-cd...cyberpunk-2077

I'm personally looking forward to seeing how the online component is implemented.

I could ( easily) be wrong, but Kicinski's interviews ( in last two years)leave sort of impression: profit, mainstream, profit! ( and besides, I think it was mentioned several times he doesn't even "like" or play video games).
Iwinski can be sometimes "clumsy" during interviews, but you can see he's genuinely passionate about it.

Loostreaks;n9839661 said:
I could ( easily) be wrong, but Kicinski's interviews ( in last two years)leave sort of impression: profit, mainstream, profit! ( and besides, I think it was mentioned several times he doesn't even "like" or play video games).
Iwinski can be sometimes "clumsy" during interviews, but you can see he's genuinely passionate about it.

It was the second younger Kicinski (Michał) who stated that he just grew tired of video games before even The Witcher 1 was released and prefers other methods of utilizing his spare time. As for why Adam Kicinski always talks about profit and business side of things in the recent interviews is because all of them were conducted by portals focusing on stock market (in which CDPR recently grew quite significantly), so of course he won't be discussing gameplay mechanics with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom