Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9867221 said:
Not always ... Mike approved of v3 ...

No one's perfect, he knows he messed up, let the man redeem himself :comeatmebro:

exogenesis09;n9855951 said:
Q3 of 2018 to Q3 of 2019 is the expect release date for this game as they have to follow up on Consoles such as PS4 and Xbox One or they can just make this game for future Consoles such as PS5. Q4 of 2019 to 2020 is my expect release date for PS5 and I guess Xbox Two.

It may be that the target is now the PS5 and whatever the next generation of Xbox is going to be called, especially if the development was "rebooted" in 2016 as some of the rumors suggested. That would allow for a more ambitious game than one that has to support consoles that are becoming outdated at the time of the release. I think TW3 also benefited from being a relatively early title to take full advantage of PS4/XB1 level hardware without compromises.

Snowflakez;n9855231 said:
I'll admit I'm a bit concerned about the project. Not that it won't be good, or that it won't eventually release, but rather that we might see a LOT of major features cut. From YongYea's video, it sounds like "the latest prototype" had a set player character (like Geralt), limited customization,

On that note, I want to bring something up. From the linkedin profile of a Senior Gameplay Engineer that worked on the game for two and and a half years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bruce-shtelmakher-0325951/

• Helped create the character assembly pipeline between artists, designers, and programmers

Meccanical;n9880191 said:
On that note, I want to bring something up. From the linkedin profile of a Senior Gameplay Engineer that worked on the game for two and and a half years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bruce-shtelmakher-0325951/

What about it? If you're referring to the "Character assembly pipeline" thing, I 'm willing to bet that's an internal development process for NPCs. Artists draw up the concept, designers put it together, programmers implement it.Then you have an "assembly pipeline".

Last edited:
Meccanical;n9880291 said:
He's a gameplay engineer, not a pipeline technician or technical director.

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the point. Could you clarify what you're getting at?

I wonder if CP2077 will skip this gen of consoles (including pro and X) and go directly for ps5 and Nextbox. Those jaguar cores aint up for the task.

sv3672;n9879421 said:
It may be that the target is now the PS5 and whatever the next generation of Xbox is going to be called, especially if the development was "rebooted" in 2016 as some of the rumors suggested. That would allow for a more ambitious game than one that has to support consoles that are becoming outdated at the time of the release. I think TW3 also benefited from being a relatively early title to take full advantage of PS4/XB1 level hardware without compromises.

In the most recent interview Adam Kicinski said that they plan to keep updating current engine for CP2077, including adjusting it's capabilities for the devices available at the market, which I think suggests they might want to release Cyberpunk for this console generation.

Porting games, or any other software for that matter, from one platform to another can be as easy as "Push this button" and as hard as "six months work for a team of 200".
How CDPR designs their engine is a huge factor, and one they'd do well to pay close attention to if they want CP2077 to be a multi-platform game.

Shavod;n9881251 said:
In the most recent interview Adam Kicinski said that they plan to keep updating current engine for CP2077, including adjusting it's capabilities for the devices available at the market, which I think suggests they might want to release Cyberpunk for this console generation.

Yeah I go back and forth on this - specially since I'm trying to decide on skipping this gen or not.

I would...bet..that 2077 will be compatible with current gen...but only if it's out in the next two years. After that, no bet.

CD Projekt's 3Q 2017 Analysis

The redditor Knowledgeless posted this on the Gwent forum (3Q, spans from July 1st to September 30th):

"Highlights:
  • CD Projekt spent 19 million zł on their unreleased development projects (i.e. Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent) this quarter.
  • Most of the revenue for CD Projekt Red came from continued sales of Witcher 3 GOTY edition, and GOG.com got a large chunk from Gwent's microtransactions. As a added benefit, because pc players are required to download GOG in order to player Gwent, the card game acts as an advertisement for the other games on the client.
  • Selling costs dropped from 3Q 2016 to 3Q 2017 because CD Projekt downscaled their promotions for Gwent. Part of this is due to one of their foreign partners (I am guessing their Chinese partner Gaea) refunded their promotional efforts.
  • China's release schedule will be different than the rest of the world. They are currently in closed beta now. It is unclear whether they will be in full release at the same time as the rest of the world is. They do have a more advanced version of the game than rest of the world did when they were in closed beta.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 will cost more to develop and is expected to have higher sales than Witcher 3, according to CD Projekt. Note that Cyberpunk also receives some money from the Polish government on the development of living cities in this game.
  • The Technology Stack for Gwent will get updated in relation to card collection management. While in context this had to do with adding new cards to the game, I am predicting that this might finally lead us to being able to craft cards in the deck builder screen.
  • The Cyberpunk team seems to have ~50 unfilled positions. Remember that they announced an ambitious expansion plan in H1 for their development teams. CD Projekt assures us that the team is 'mostly complete', that the key positions have all been filled, and that the listed positions are part of the way they expand their company. This worry about empty positions keeps popping up due to their rapid hire method of acquiring new talent, apparently.
  • I would like to preface this point by stating that I usually don't comment on rumors or office politics in these analysis posts; however, one of audience members in the conference call with CD Projekt elevated Youtuber YongYea's story to corporate relevance when he asked about it. Long story short, YongYea posted three videos during the 3Q where he put into question the quality of the middle management, key employee turnover, and the integrity of Cyberpunk's engine for CD Projekt. His story began with the website Glassdoor and was later supposedly corroborated by former employees, who remained anonymous so I don't know if it is a legitimate story. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, it is bad press for the company.
  • Ellas "Shaggy" Sagmeister is announced as the winner of their first Gwent Open by name in their 3Q financials, which makes me really jealous.
Here is the source list for where I got my information:
If you have questions, I will answer them in the comment section here or on my video.
[I made edits to make the points on the unfilled positions and YongYea story clearer - thanks to u/mysterious_manny 's notes. Again, I don't really want to comment on rumors unless they get brought up in the 3Q releases, and both of these points did. I recommend considering only the affect these claims have on public confidence on CD Projekt as opposed to their validity since we are not in a position to know what is actually going on inside the company.]

"Click here if you want to hear me talk about this information in more depth. For everyone else,These financials are important to us gwent players because they often come with announcements about the games we care about and more information. For instance, 3Q financials were released in tandem with the announcement that Thronebreaker would be delayed. By analyzing these financials and their release dates, I predicted when the 3Q would be released and guessed Thronebreaker was probably going to be delayed."

Cool stuff, but nothing really all that relevant to CP2077, except that they're still hiring. According to the guy who posted this, CDPR seems to be doing fine financially, so no real concerns there.

Interesting nonetheless. Thanks for posting.

Thanks a lot for this, there is some extremely important information there imo, when it's said that most of the team is complete, and there are only about 50 positions unfilled.

I too had assumed that based on how aggressively they seemed to pursue their hiring efforts, the team was lacking a lot of people still. Knowing that they are starting 2018 with a mostly complete team is reassuring.

You'll always have a certain amount of employee turn-over, and given that CDPR has been hiring a lot of non-Polish employees lately it will be higher as some people may love the job but find living in Poland not to be to their taste.

Suhiira;n9900891 said:
You'll always have a certain amount of employee turn-over, and given that CDPR has been hiring a lot of non-Polish employees lately it will be higher as some people may love the job but find living in Poland not to be to their taste.

Aye, this. I brought this up to a friend of mine and we had a very long and very heated argument about it. Ultimately, even if they don't like the job or living in Poland, a lot of that can be chalked up to cultural stuff. Westerners are used to a certain way of life, and a certain way of doing business within the game development industry. Polish development studios do not subscribe to those same philosophies. Perhaps they should, given how much time they are spending recruiting more westerners, but still.

Also, somewhat related, sites like Glassdoor (where some negative reviews have come from) aren't even used by Polish people. They have their own review sites.

I wouldn't worry at all about employee turnover or hiring frenzies. I think CDPR is doing just fine, and will probably continue to think that until I'm proven wrong by undeniable evidence.

Snowflakez;n9900461 said:
Cool stuff, but nothing really all that relevant to CP2077, except that they're still hiring.

And that they are about to complete their CP2077 team, since there are only 50 employers left to hire.
And that theymost likely spend a big part of the 19 millions in Gwent, but that there is a possibility of one third or half of it going to CP2077, which is huge in only a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom