Will Cyberpunk 2077 be mature writing?

+
Will Cyberpunk 2077 be mature writing?

An interesting question is how mature and adult do we expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be? The Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 notably touched on a lot of adult themes in addition to the SHOCK GASP nudity among other elements which was featured in the setting. Tabletop RPGs of the 80s were primarily fo adolescents but enjoyed by adults as well. Do we think they'll keep the edgy and Adults Only content of the Witcher 3 or will they give a more toned down and removed feel?

This is an actual concern of mine.

If it stays true to the source material and the very idea of the genre', then yes, it should be written and presented in a mature manner and with mature subject matter, otherwise, it will be 'Just another public friendly form of sci-fi" and NOT cyberpunk.

I'd expectt CP2077 to follow in Witchers footsteps and perhaps push further in some areas given the source material.

Given the source material and CDPR's prior work, I'm gonna say it's likely that the answer will end up being "yes." They explicitly said when the game was first announced in 2012 that they were angling for a mature game. It may be true that everything can change over five+ years of development, but I sincerely doubt that would be one of the things that changes.

"Mature" does not necessarily include sex, violence, gore. It's how believable characters are in certain situations, how "aware" they seem, presentation is also hugely relevant here.

What made Geralt and Yen seem like a mature couple wasn't because of sex scenes, it's their "small" interactions with one another, like the "wolf wordplay".

Mafia games, in particular, are great at this...there are so many little things you can notice in how characters act, talk, their body language that makes them "come to life"

Like with John Donovan, really great character:

Loostreaks;n9855071 said:
"Mature" does not necessarily include sex, violence, gore. It's how believable characters are in certain situations, how "aware" they seem, presentation is also hugely relevant here.
Very true, but keep in mind the (mental if not physical) age of the average gamer :cool:

Loostreaks;n9855071 said:

Yes, but they don't have much of the immature kind either because games act like they're all for adolescents.

Suhiira;n9855691 said:
Very true, but keep in mind the (mental if not physical) age of the average gamer :cool:

I do believe that people interested in game like this will be a bit different than the average. I mean if game's climate will be as it seems now it won;t be a game for everyone.

Cyberpunk isn't just about the dark, gritty "Cyber" universe. It's also about the "punk" aspect. Mike himself (and CDPR for that matter) has said that while they are putting an emphasis on the grittiness, on the rough, mature elements, they're also focusing on the "rock and roll" aspect of cyberpunk. Being a badass, having fun, tearing shit up, that sort of thing.

To answer your question - who knows? Nobody knows how serious, or not serious, the writing will be. My guess is that it will lean more towards the mature side of things given CDPR's track record, but it's impossible to say for certain.

This is an interesting consideration, but I doubt CDPR would opt to pull punches in order to sell more copies. That would basically be the philosophy that Lucas used to make the prequels.

Besides, I still think that loss of sexuality would be an amazing character exploration. As parts of the body and/or mind are replaced or modified...identification as male / female becomes blurred...and yet what does that instinctual desire become...? I think it would be a really cool thing to explore. Maybe...between characters that are lovers / married at the beginning of the game...

It raises the question ... is gender primarily biological or mindset?

I'd argue some of both. As much as the Feminazis refuse to admit it estrogen and testosterone and pelvic structure do effect our behavior as well as our physical capabilities.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9900591 said:

I'd argue some of both. As much as the Feminazis refuse to admit it estrogen and testosterone and pelvic structure do effect our behavior as well as our physical capabilities.

Aye, I mostly agree.

Behavior and physical capabilities aside, though, I personally believe there's only two genders. But those genders are defined by what you identify with. If you feel like a woman, you're a woman. If you feel like a man, you're a man. Trans or not. Of course, I don't mean you wake up one day and feel like a man and feel like a woman another, but rather what you identify with at the very core of your being. When you experience true "gender dysphoria", in other words.

I would be happy to see these concepts explored further in CP2077. After all, we already have stuff like transition surgeries in the real world, but it's in its infancy right now. I'd be really interested to see CDPR's interpretation of that sort of tech 60 years from now, in the not-so-distant future.

If CDPR is smart (and they generally are) they'll avoid the whole gender issue BUT use the "human" vs "borg" issue already inherent in Cyberpunk to explore the same questions.

SigilFey;n9899931 said:
This is an interesting consideration, but I doubt CDPR would opt to pull punches in order to sell more copies. That would basically be the philosophy that Lucas used to make the prequels.

Besides, I still think that loss of sexuality would be an amazing character exploration. As parts of the body and/or mind are replaced or modified...identification as male / female becomes blurred...and yet what does that instinctual desire become...? I think it would be a really cool thing to explore. Maybe...between characters that are lovers / married at the beginning of the game...

That actually is one of the things that CAN'T happen if they stay true to the universe.

One of the more controversial elements of Cyberpunk 2020 was the fact they had artificial sex organs as enhancements.

"Mr. Stud" and the female equivalent.

One of the writers interviewed actually said it will appear in game--I assume as a joke.

Suhiira;n9900591 said:

I actually write novels in RL and one of them is a cyberpunk one.

There was a weird debate by my fans about a transexual cyborg character. The technology was so more advanced, they wondered if she even qualified.

I was like, "Yes, of course she qualifies."

But being born a man but having a cyborg body made a difference with some geeks.

Willowhugger;n9903581 said:
That actually is one of the things that CAN'T happen if they stay true to the universe.
One of the more controversial elements of Cyberpunk 2020 was the fact they had artificial sex organs as enhancements.
"Mr. Stud" and the female equivalent.
One of the writers interviewed actually said it will appear in game--I assume as a joke.

Well, physical enhancements for the sake of sexuality itself is one thing. What if someone removes all sexual organs completely to enhance other abilities? I feel this is still something that could add a lot of dramatic tension between characters, even if it's never been directly addressed in the lore before.

And not like it needs to be the focal point of the game or anything -- I think it could make for some very driven undertones and moments.

Willowhugger;n9903601 said:
I was like, "Yes, of course she qualifies."

But...the writer is dead. ;)

SigilFey;n9904641 said:
Well, physical enhancements for the sake of sexuality itself is one thing. What if someone removes all sexual organs completely to enhance other abilities? I feel this is still something that could add a lot of dramatic tension between characters, even if it's never been directly addressed in the lore before.

And not like it needs to be the focal point of the game or anything -- I think it could make for some very driven undertones and moments.

But...the writer is dead. ;)

Yeah, I don't see a problem with this. Sounds interesting to me. Intercourse isn't always at the heart of everybody's being, anyway - some people would gladly give up that sort of thing in favor of being the fastest human alive, or the strongest, or having heightened senses and reflexes, etc... That could be really intriguing. But, as you said, no need for it to be at the center of the game's story.

EDIT: Paging Dr. SigilFey to the Stealth Game topic. We could use your insight. :p https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...902811-the-problem-with-stealth-in-videogames

Top Bottom