Cyberpunk 2077 Aesthetic Filters

+
Cyberpunk 2077 Aesthetic Filters

So lots of games use filters for their games. The first Mass Effect used a grainy film filter. No Man's Sky used the instagram filter. I was thinking maybe CP2077 should use an 80s VHS filter.
Something like this:

What do you guys think? Would give it that authentic 80s retrofuturistic vibe.

I like the idea of that old VHS grain and distortion, but they said they aren’t going for that 80’s retro vibe.

Sadly enough.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9907881 said:
I like the idea of that old VHS grain and distortion, but they said they aren’t going for that 80’s retro vibe.

Sadly enough.
But why? There's enough of 1980s nostalgia in recent media. CP2077's "today"'s view on the future, paired with ubersampling and sharpening (for us hobos without GTX 1180x2) filter to make the sharp image of reality is the aesthetically a way to go. Deus Ex with hi-res textures kinda fits as example. Or would be without this blue color filter just from the 90s "syber-bong" cinema.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n9907881 said:

Sadly enough.

This is by far my biggest gripe with CDPR regarding Cyberpunk 2077.

Perhaps the game will include film grain and/or other post-processing effects, but they will not be very noticeable and it will be possible to disable them, like chromatic aberration in TW3.

metalmaniac21;n9908421 said:
but they said they aren’t going for that 80’s retro vibe. But why?

At 08:07 Marcin Iwinski says:

"We're not recreating a retro world, because I think it would not be believable to a younger audience."

Making games is about money too, and that's a smart thing to do to get success and survive in the gaming world.

Bummer. I do really like that aesthetic. But at the same time, I feel like that would make me quite sick after a while, so I'd expect it to be optional if it existed at all.

But yeah, sucks to hear that they aren't going for the 80's retro vibe, but I guess that's OK since it is so much further into the future (57 years since 2020, of course).

Snowflakez;n9909191 said:
Bummer. I do really like that aesthetic. But at the same time, I feel like that would make me quite sick after a while, so I'd expect it to be optional if it existed at all.

But yeah, sucks to hear that they aren't going for the 80's retro vibe, but I guess that's OK since it is so much further into the future (57 years since 2020, of course).

my suggestion is a very mild form of it.

Guest 4149880

Filters suck. It doesn't do anything for the game. 2077 is going to be a take on the future from now, not the near future from the 80's so it wouldn't make sense to retain old retro style.

animalfather;n9909081 said:
animalfather;n9909081 said:
"We're not recreating a retro world, because I think it would not be believable to a younger audience."

What are you implying? You're telling me that a big portion or perhaps the majority of gamers aren't young?

Last edited:
I'd be cool with that effect at the start of the game's intro and at the start of any scene that reintroduces you to where you are in the game (like TW3 loading screen videos). Maybe even any time you enter into the net. It would be like your plugging back in you know? But in the game itself I'd vote no. It would get old fast if it was there frequently.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9909371 said:
What are you implying? You're telling me that a big portion or perhaps the majority of gamers aren't young?

CDPR thinking young audience is not into retro things..and even if they are not catering towards them, since i doubt they are not even the majority.

Guest 4149880

animalfather;n9910471 said:
CDPR thinking young audience is not into retro things..and even if they are not catering towards them, since i doubt they are not even the majority.

2020 was not retro for its time, it was their perspective of the future from the 80's, What we call retro now its based on old ideas. And in the case of 2077, it wouldn't make much sense to build a game about the future from the 80's in a retro style, unless that's the intended goal, which it isn't.

BeastModeIron;n9913141 said:
Kudos to the guy above for making pointless threads and posts.

That's kind of Animal's thing. :p

I'm only being half-serious, of course. Every thread and opinion is welcome, IMO, so long as it fits the rules and what not.

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n9913401 said:

I'm only being half-serious, of course. Every thread and opinion is welcome, IMO, so long as it fits the rules and what not.

Oh, you're that guy huh? Don't be that guy

Last edited by a moderator:
BeastModeIron;n9913141 said:
Kudos to the guy above for making pointless threads and posts.

Yeah, that's animal. Although a lot of his threads are actually quite interesting and topical. Also, don't judge, that's my job.

Snowflakez;n9913401 said:

True and true. It is his thing and also Rules etc.

BeastModeIron;n9913651 said:
Oh, you're that guy huh? Don't be that guy

No no, be that guy. In fact, everyone should be that guy. Unless you mean animal. Don't be animal. ONE IS ENOUGH.

Guest 4149880

Sardukhar;n9913701 said:
Yeah, that's animal. Although a lot of his threads are actually quite interesting and topical. Also, don't judge, that's my job.

Good thing I judge in my spare time.

Top Bottom